Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

shyduck posted:

Someone fell asleep at the wheel while driving a fuel truck at D-M.

We had a idiot at Whiteman back a B-2 into a dock while pushing it back. The most obvious fix to this would be a mass decertification of everybody on tow qualifications and a brand new class and training to re-qualify everybody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Godholio posted:

That hasn't been posted in a while.

Every time I see this I wonder how long the cop just sat there in his car, staring at his nine and wondering if he should just suck start it right then rather than deal with the horrendous beatings he was about to endure.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

It's the Air Force way :downs:

USAFA Traveling Gangbang Team, 99-03

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Ckwiesr posted:

Eh, not as bad as the cop that fell asleep and drove into a jet.

"fell asleep"

(my understanding is that there were two people in that cop car...and they weren't sleeping)

e: and the passenger riding shotgun was "searching for a dropped cell phone under the driver's seat" or something when the accident happened

Larry Parrish posted:

How much you guys wanna bet they're going to stop this from happening by making everyone in LRS work even longer hours.

Nah, not everyone....just the POL bitches

Everyone else in LRS will work longer hours for other reasons

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Phone posting so it will have to wait till I get home but I use to have the investigation photos from a landing F16 vs a street sweeper.

The background I heard was some tech bitched out a SRAmn to clean the runway. When told the runway was still hot he told the guy tough poo poo and do it anyway.

No idea what parts are true beyond knowing an F16 hit a street sweeper.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
The only retirement ceremony I'd want to go to

terrez
Mar 20, 2012
EOD should have bomb dogs at their shops. I would do nothing but pet that dog all day and do nothing else for my 2.5 years left.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ckwiesr posted:

Eh, not as bad as the cop that fell asleep and drove into a jet.

He wasn't asleep he was getting a beej.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Went to a retirement ceremony today for a guy who totally didn't want one. Instead of the chaplain giving an invocation the MC read a Dick Dorkins quote.

It was about 80% confused religious people and 20%smug atheists in the crowd.

Otherwise it was cool, only lasted 30min.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Genocide Tendency posted:

Phone posting so it will have to wait till I get home but I use to have the investigation photos from a landing F16 vs a street sweeper.

The background I heard was some tech bitched out a SRAmn to clean the runway. When told the runway was still hot he told the guy tough poo poo and do it anyway.

No idea what parts are true beyond knowing an F16 hit a street sweeper.

I'll spoil the ending, the SRA got busted down to E-2 and force-shaped out. It took the tech an extra year to make MSgt.

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

I'll spoil the ending, the SRA got busted down to E-2 and force-shaped out. It took the tech an extra year to make MSgt.

That's the most air force ending

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

C'mon dude, at least use the tags

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

It's OK for MX to say "I have no idea what's wrong with the jet, I'll call someone at Boeing".

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Dominoes posted:

It's OK for MX to say "I have no idea what's wrong with the jet, I'll call someone at Boeing".

Is this a problem? We had Boeing's number programmed into our integrated satellite phone so we could call them in flight if we didn't know what was wrong with the jet. I'd rather MX make a few phone calls than try to prove how smart they are by pulling something out of their rear end, or just writing it up as CND again.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Dead Reckoning posted:

Is this a problem? We had Boeing's number programmed into our integrated satellite phone so we could call them in flight if we didn't know what was wrong with the jet. I'd rather MX make a few phone calls than try to prove how smart they are by pulling something out of their rear end, or just writing it up as CND again.
Not at all. It's a problem when they blame aircrew for powering things on in an order they've decided is wrong instead of admitting they've no idea what's going on. Or say we should reset avionics in a flight over hostile territory.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 14, 2015

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug

Dominoes posted:

I've had to call Lockheed once or twice about some weird poo poo on C-5s to talk to lead system specific engineers.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dominoes posted:

I thought this was standard protocol, especially for IFEs.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Dominoes posted:

Not at all. It's a problem when they blame aircrew for powering things on in an order they've decided is wrong instead of admitting they've no idea what's going on. Or say we should reset avionics in a flight over hostile territory.

Boeing decided that 5x laptops plugged into the outlets at the same time overloaded the E-3's electrical system, triggering multiple power spikes and IIRC 7 of the 8 generators to kick offline over Baghdad.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Dominoes posted:

At what level is the conversation between mx and ops taking place? Who's "they"?

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
I mean an in flight issue is one thing. When it comes to flying with oddball poo poo engineering has to get involved for 107s.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

iyaayas01 posted:

At what level is the conversation between mx and ops taking place? Who's "they"?
Talking through a redball post-flight. The spec blamed us for the problem, and treated us like children. On a happier note: Just flew the same tail; same (serious mission impact, but not safety) problem. Both the spec, and mx super who pulled up were chill. They acknowledged the problem, and we rationally talked about solutions.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 15, 2015

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRsPheErBj8

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I got out 1 Mar 2012. Today I got my first IRR muster orders. It includes a brief advertisement letter from a reserve colonel about opportunities as an active reservist, and a list of every available officer IMA position. There are 1,035. Exactly one for my AFSC, and that's for an O-5.

If they're desperate enough to let me skip a rank, I guess I'd move to Kansas.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

A kid in my unit is really excited that he's got an ABM slot when he commissions.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Casimir Radon posted:

A kid in my unit is really excited that he's got an ABM slot when he commissions.

"My internet chat buddy says he has all my favorite candy in his van!"

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Casimir Radon posted:

For 2-3 years, it's a loving blast. After that, it depends completely on A-if you're retarded and B-if your leadership is retarded.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Then he accidentally told us that his girlfriend didn't run out of money for college like she told everyone, she's just dumb and got kicked out of ROTC because she couldn't maintain a 2.5

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I already know his upgrade path once he gets the flight hours.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
This pretty much sums up my day.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Air show or people trying to go through the stack of soda and chips outside the commissary. Nobody can tell.

The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006

Godholio posted:

That hasn't been posted in a while.

Ah yes, my former career field how I miss you in a strange way.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
If you do the FOD walk right on Monday you'll get a letter of appreciation or something

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Went to Arlington with my parents and my racist retired army CSM grandfather on armed forces day. Got to sit at a concert within spitting distance of Chief Cody. Didn't spit. Also got to shake hands with the sgtmaj of the marine corps. Cool day I guess.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

The Sheriff Jake posted:

Ah yes, my former career field how I miss you in a strange way.

Where the f have you been?!

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
Glad that the DOD, who holds The World's Greatest Air Force, with it's incredibly large Cyber Operations section, still has to loving snail-mail me my TSP account number before I can log in to it.

e:Can anyone tell me about Cyber Surety (3D0X3) and Cyber Warfare Ops (1B4X1), Cyber Transport Systems (3D1X2), and Cyber System Operations (3D0X2) ? The first two seem pretty leet hax0rz from the job description, but we all know how well the description actually describes the job. Transport Systems seems to be pretty in-line with my civilian career field, and its Cyber Systems Operations just... the network shop?

invision fucked around with this message at 08:05 on May 18, 2015

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

invision posted:

Glad that the DOD, who holds The World's Greatest Air Force, with it's incredibly large Cyber Operations section, still has to loving snail-mail me my TSP account number before I can log in to it.

Hey now, this is your retirement fund and the DoD is very concerned with your information being secure unlike every other Privacy Act bit of data on you that's been leaked about a dozen times by this point. Hey, be glad at least that your TSP is still your TSP and not your pension.

Wild T fucked around with this message at 10:09 on May 18, 2015

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

invision posted:

e:Can anyone tell me about Cyber Surety (3D0X3) and Cyber Warfare Ops (1B4X1), Cyber Transport Systems (3D1X2), and Cyber System Operations (3D0X2) ? The first two seem pretty leet hax0rz from the job description, but we all know how well the description actually describes the job. Transport Systems seems to be pretty in-line with my civilian career field, and its Cyber Systems Operations just... the network shop?

1X2 here, mainly infrastructure / switches but also every random loving mission system they don't know who to give it to. I've been in 13 years and haven't properly worked on a router or switch in that time. Good for getting contract jobs after as you can get smart on systems that are integral but no one really knows how they work other than the contractors.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I'll chip in on the other side of what nullscan said. 1X2 for 6 years and pretty much the entirety of my experience is switches and routers. I've also done some firewall work. Right now my job is a lot of physical cable work with Cisco switching. There's other 1X2s that work on promina, some do telephones, some do awacs. It's a stupidly broad career field.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
As a 1X2, I went from plugging in fiber cables to configuring switches to plugging in copper cables. Now I make spreadsheets because I was moved out of my career field because lol civilians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
Title? I dont need no stinkin' Title

invision posted:

So cyber surety is mainly focused on Information Assurance, COMSEC and supposedly boundary defense (firewall stuff I guess.) If you end up doing ether IA or COMSEC it's all AFI/paper based stuff which is great if you have Aspergers I guess. Cyber Warfare ops guys are more what one would think of when you say "leet hax0r" but they are pretty much limited to bases in the States and a few slots in Germany. I probably would have cross trained into that job already if they had some overseas spots but once I get out of CONUS, I don't really plan to come back Stateside unless I absolutely have to. They get a poo poo ton of training on some of the more interesting sides of comm though.

I'm a 3D0X2 and we specialize in system administration, ie servers and poo poo. Like others have said however, comm AFSCs can be kinda vague (it was worse before the merger in 2010/2011.) I'm supposed to be managing servers right now but apparently I need to be a project &/or program manager for poo poo I have no experience with. After 4 years, I'm probably better with PowerPoint and Excel than I am with managing a server. Cest la vie.

• Locked thread