Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah, I know, Goldeneye: Source exists. It'd be great if Perfect Dark: Source existed, too.

GE:S does a terrible job of reproducing the feel of GoldenEye because it gets the movement speed all wrong. PD:S died off but was slightly better at that.

It would be nice to just get a port of the XBLA rerelease for the SP, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ball Cupper
Sep 10, 2011

~beautiful in my own way~
Daikatana is a great Gameboy Colour game

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It would be nice to just get a port of the XBLA rerelease for the SP, though.

This. Playing the 64 version on an emulator is still (for me) pretty wonky framerate and control-wise and the graphics aren't as good.

Ball Cupper posted:

lol

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Somebody needs to remake Cold Winter, update the graphics and make half of the cutscenes playable even as simple QTEs.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

FirstPersonShitter posted:

I like E1 better than E4. E4 is a real loving downer of an episode, the guns are the most generic in the entire game, the levels are awful and all the same. All it really has over E1 is fewer tiny enemies.

E1 redeems itself through how good its weapons for for multiplayer. Most of them don't fit SP, but the cool poo poo you can do with them in MP more than makes up for it. Even the Ion Blaster is fun. Also, it has the best MP maps in the game.

E4 MP is fun, but it usually turns into whoever can spam the most grenades from the shotgun wins once someone gets a decent supply of them.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ball Cupper posted:

It is actually pretty decent, yeah.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Guillermus posted:

I don't know if they patched Necrovision, but that game used to be really buggy and overheated lots of cards when it got released. I got bored of it when you became a vampire.

The devs (The Farm 51) hacked a lot of things and features into Painkiller engine, and thus completely shitted the code optimization. PCF (PK's original devs) also added a lot of stuff into it, in order to make Infernal, but by actually knowing the in and outs of the source code, made the final game running better than NV.

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013
So I tried the Mac version of Wolf3D in ECWolf a and it works pretty good aside from the obvious stuff. Hats off to Blzut3 for his amazing work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omU5VsQ6leQ
The dog food barking was unexpected :v:

Can't wait till this gets finished so I can try all the map packs it has.

Nokiaman fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 12, 2015

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

That music sure is something else

It's a shame that the Mac version of Wolf 3D doesn't have any viewing angles other than dead-on. No sneaking up on guards or anything. (Not that that came up too frequently in the game, but it's nice when it does happen.)

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
On the other hand, rocket launcher.

Wolf 3D does run perfectly in basilisk II or Sheepshaver, so anyone can introduce nazi's to really awkwardly coded rocket launchers and flamethrowers.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Shadow Hog posted:

That music sure is something else

Yeah I don't think it was meant to be played back by an OPL emulator.

In fact it's meant to be played back with the included samples because it's not even General MIDI.

Some dumb idiot
Jun 6, 2012

Step by step
Hop the mountain
Step by step
Hop the ocean
Step by step
Hop the rainbow
I'll be running

"An early screenshot of Powerslave/Exhumed, found in the data files for the leaked Blood alpha. Even excluding the amusing gesture, this shot appears to depict co-op action, which probably would have been pretty cool were it have ever been coded in in any way, shape or form - BUILD engine games were notorious for mocking up promo images in the editor’s 3D mode…"

:allears:

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
We've been wrong the entire time. Brutal Doom doesn't make Doom even Doomier, it makes Doom even Powerslavier.

Blzut3
Jun 14, 2014

Cat Mattress posted:

Yeah I don't think it was meant to be played back by an OPL emulator.
It's not being played on OPL. It's being played on a GM MIDI synth.

I do wonder if these tracks could be remixed to GM with any remote accuracy. (A simple instrument swap won't do, but it would certainly get rid of the constant drone in the background of most of the tracks.) I do of course plan on figuring out how to make a sound font out of the included samples and playing through fluidsynth, but I'm genuinely curious what someone with artistic ability could do with GM or maybe GS.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
Listicle time! RPS has "the 50 best FPS ever made".

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/05/13/best-fps/

The list:

1 DOOM
2 Half-Life
3 Thief II: The Metal Age
4 S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl
5 Quake III Arena
6 Half-Life 2
7 Planetside 2
8 Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
9 Battlefield 1942
10 Far Cry 2
11 SWAT 4
12 BioShock 2
13 Action Quake 2
14 Battlefield: Bad Company 2
15 Mirror’s Edge
16 Arma 3
17 Crysis
18 Natural Selection 2
19 Wolfenstein: The New Order
20 Alien: Isolation
21 Left 4 Dead 2
22 Unreal Tournament 2004
23 Dishonored
24 Call of Duty 2
25 The Chronicles Of Riddick: Assault On Dark Athena
26 Rising Storm
27 Star Wars: Dark Forces
28 Star Wars Jedi Knight – Mysteries Of The Sith
29 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
30 Tribes Ascend
31 Halo: Combat Evolved
32 Aliens versus Predator
33 The Typing Of The Dead
34 The Operative: No One Lives Forever
35 Far Cry 3
36 Team Fortress 2
37 Quake
38 Descent
39 Bulletstorm
40 Metro 2033 Redux
41 Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Vegas 2
42 Rage
43 Tron 2.0
44 Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
45 Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter
46 The Darkness 2
47 Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory
48 Zeno Clash
49 F.E.A.R.
50 Eldritch

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
Where the gently caress is System Shock

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Why in the actual gently caress is The Darkness not on there and its absolutely mediocre sequel is? The first game on 360 is a masterpiece.

Don't get me wrong, lists are subjective of course but that stands out. The Darkness is a cut-and-dry example of amazing first game and hilariously crap sequel.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
A lot of those games aren't even shooters, just games with a first person perspective. :saddowns:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Why in the actual gently caress is The Darkness not on there and its absolutely mediocre sequel is? The first game on 360 is a masterpiece.

Don't get me wrong, lists are subjective of course but that stands out. The Darkness is a cut-and-dry example of amazing first game and hilariously crap sequel.

The Darkness never came out on PC. The sequel is actually good, though.

Rage being on that list at all takes the cake for most baffling entry.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
RPS is loving garbage and everyone who writes for it is a hack no exceptions. The list just serves as another example of why. Why is Dishonored, a game primarily about stealth and melee combat, on the list at all?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Segmentation Fault posted:

RPS is loving garbage and everyone who writes for it is a hack no exceptions. The list just serves as another example of why. Why is Dishonored, a game primarily about stealth and melee combat, on the list at all?
Because it still makes more sense to include than Typing of the Dead, which is an awesome game but isn't even remotely an FPS.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Tribes Ascend but not Tribes 2, Far Cry 2 in the top ten, Rage on the list at all, man it just doesn't pay to even look at these lovely lists for laughs :(

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Shadow Hog posted:

Because it still makes more sense to include than Typing of the Dead, which is an awesome game but isn't even remotely an FPS.

Didn't even catch that. gently caress RPS.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I can't believe GAME is so high on the list. How the hell is it better than GAME? He should drop it and add in GAME, it's always overlooked. And if he thinks GAME belongs here he doesn't even know what an FPS is.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I really liked The Darkness 2, but then again, the first never came out on PC so I never got to play it.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The Darkness never came out on PC. The sequel is actually good, though.

Rage being on that list at all takes the cake for most baffling entry.

I liked Rage. :(

Although, looking at the list, I've been curious about Zeno Clash for a while. Isn't it made by the guys who made Batman Doom?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

DoombatINC posted:

Tribes Ascend but not Tribes 2, Far Cry 2 in the top ten, Rage on the list at all, man it just doesn't pay to even look at these lovely lists for laughs :(

Tribes 1 didn't make the cut either wtf

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

quote:

“What about Duke Nukem 3D?” The first level’s incredible, the rest is not and it’s sure as hell not as funny as it was in the 90s.

Alright.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
Did this guy accidentally snag a copy of LameDuke and mistook it for the real deal? Who the gently caress is going to claim that literally one level of Duke3D is good and all the rest are garbage?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
The guy's got Duke3D's number, at least.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Nice to see Bioshock 2's rehabilitation continues, mind.

About Wolfenstein: The New Order posted:

Notes: Don’t opt for standalone expansion/prequel The Old Blood, released this year, just because it’s a newer game. It’s perfectly adequate as manshoots go, but it doesn’t reach as high as The Old Blood, in either spectacle or humanity.

Come on, proofread your stuff lads

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
That was the worst list in human history. Only thing on point was having stalker shoc and far cry 2 high up on the list. Quake should of course be on the top 3.

[Edit] How can a website with so much pretension know so little about video games?????

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

That was the worst list in human history. Only thing on point was having stalker shoc and far cry 2 high up on the list. Quake should of course be on the top 3.

[Edit] How can a website with so much pretension know so little about video games?????

I was surprised they had Doom at number 1 honestly. Given that RPS in general gives way too much of a poo poo about game stories I was expecting HL2 or something like that.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

a retard posted:

I was surprised they had Doom at number 1 honestly. Given that RPS in general gives way too much of a poo poo about game stories I was expecting HL2 or something like that.

No, you see Half-Life 2 is actually responsible for killing the FPS genre. That's why it's number six instead of number one.

RPS is really bad.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Did this guy accidentally snag a copy of LameDuke and mistook it for the real deal? Who the gently caress is going to claim that literally one level of Duke3D is good and all the rest are garbage?

Considering how retarded gaming journalists are, that's not exactly impossible.

Also, no UT99 nor Unreal 1 is bullshit. They're both top 20 games at the absolute minimum.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
That's not nearly the most interesting thing in the Blood alpha. The emails grousing about how :spergin: Ken Silverman is and the plan on how to get the gently caress out of their business relationship with 3DR are. Give 'em a look!

catlord posted:

Although, looking at the list, I've been curious about Zeno Clash for a while. Isn't it made by the guys who made Batman Doom?
It is! They're a fun bunch, and Zeno Clash 1 is an alright game - apparently the sequel's better and weirder, but I haven't tried it yet.

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Who the gently caress is going to claim that literally one level of Duke3D is good and all the rest are garbage?
Someone who got horribly lost in E1L5, probably.

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

Max Wilco posted:

No, you see Half-Life 2 is actually responsible for killing the FPS genre. That's why it's number six instead of number one.

RPS is really bad.

I learned that MW2 cost 50 million to make. That must be because of all the scripted sequences, and totally not because of having 200 people on the dev team, hiring multiple celebrities to do voice acting, or hiring hans loving zimmer to do the soundtrack, no siree.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

The Kins posted:

That's not nearly the most interesting thing in the Blood alpha. The emails grousing about how :spergin: Ken Silverman is and the plan on how to get the gently caress out of their business relationship with 3DR are. Give 'em a look!

From EPIC.TXT:

quote:

* Georges recommendation to defraud IRS

Holy poo poo.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Segmentation Fault posted:

What I find hiliarious is they get really defensive when people accuse them of writing clickbait articles, then they go and put poo poo up like this. Top X lists are the definition of clickbait.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

The Kins posted:

Oh Ken. It certainly helps to explain the insane bugs in that engine. I can't imagine how frustrating it must have been to have your job dependent on the pet project of some weirdo kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
They picked Bioshock 2 for the list over every other installment of the -Shock franchise? Jesus wept.