Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Boon posted:

I'm half way through and this is the basically the best thing that I've read during my career.

E: If half of what is in there comes to pass, it'll be a wild success for the Navy. Holy poo poo.

quote:

Therefore, I am ending GMT as we know it. Beginning June 1st, we will stop all Department of the Navy-directed GMT on Navy Knowledge Online. Command triads will determine if and when training is needed.

:aaa:

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Giving people a choice in their assignments? What a novel idea.

N/A for submarines and SWO(N) I'm sure

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
got picked up for an IS2 billet for COMPACFLT, and i'm not even IS3 yet. how the heck does that work

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

got picked up for an IS2 billet for COMPACFLT, and i'm not even IS3 yet. how the heck does that work

It is easier to go down for billets than up and also, with the advancement rate, they probably don't want you filling a ISSN billet as the eventual IS2 you'll be soon. We've got a CPF unit that drills when we do but, if I remember, you're on the west coast?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

this has to be a troll

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

Nick Soapdish posted:

It is easier to go down for billets than up and also, with the advancement rate, they probably don't want you filling a ISSN billet as the eventual IS2 you'll be soon. We've got a CPF unit that drills when we do but, if I remember, you're on the west coast?

yeah, i'm over at coronado buddy. and yeah that totally makes sense. I already have my paperwork for my advancement to IS3 just havent had a chain of command available to write my letter of recommendation for it and all that jazz.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I audibly said "holy poo poo" a few times when reading through that. Ending PFAs and GMTs, putting physical readiness on evals, giving captains stronger ability to actually promote/get rid of people, revamped bonus structures, everyone wearing the same uniform, expanded maternity leave, expanded gyms & childcare facilities, and gently caress it goes on and on.

Mabus just went full Zumwalt.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Bring on the beards and hands-in-pockets goddamnit.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Boon posted:

Bring on the beards and hands-in-pockets goddamnit.

Don't forget beer vending machines in the barracks

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
While a lot of it is pretty awesome I would highly temper your expectations here. Without congressional action promotion boards will still go down on schedule, will operate in the same manner, and available promotions will still be allocated the same way. Also I wouldn't expect to see any sort of meteoric rise through the ranks just because you got an EP on a FITREP as a DIVO.

My assessment is that what this is really going to do is somewhat smash the traditional progression pipelines and reward people who make the Navy better in general not just because they picked the "right" billets.

Flexibility and more graduate education opportunities will probably lead to a slight uptick in retention, but until junior folks feel like they have real buy-in with the organization retention is still going to be a problem.

Also, PRT spot checks are real dumb.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

ManMythLegend posted:

this plus the separation authority being handed back to COs is gonna be fun to watch

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
This allllllmost makes me what to stick around to see it all go down.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004
I truly credit VADM Moran with a lot of this stuff. NKO, GMTs, and PFA/BCA fuckery are things he has straight up said multiple times in public forums that have annoyed him throughout his career. These are good steps in the right direction.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

ManMythLegend posted:

While a lot of it is pretty awesome I would highly temper your expectations here. Without congressional action promotion boards will still go down on schedule, will operate in the same manner, and available promotions will still be allocated the same way. Also I wouldn't expect to see any sort of meteoric rise through the ranks just because you got an EP on a FITREP as a DIVO.

My assessment is that what this is really going to do is somewhat smash the traditional progression pipelines and reward people who make the Navy better in general not just because they picked the "right" billets.

Flexibility and more graduate education opportunities will probably lead to a slight uptick in retention, but until junior folks feel like they have real buy-in with the organization retention is still going to be a problem.

I would rather see us as a Navy de-couple the PRT from the BCA and make it a say...3-4 time/year evolution (but keep this coordination at the DIVO/DH level). Spot check doesn't necessarily mean the CO walks into the command and goes "oh hey btw the entire command is doing a PFA this week"....

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

buttplug posted:

I truly credit VADM Moran with a lot of this stuff. NKO, GMTs, and PFA/BCA fuckery are things he has straight up said multiple times in public forums that have annoyed him throughout his career. These are good steps in the right direction.

Good dude. I like when he comes around and talks to us serfs. On one of his visits he even poo poo-canned my CO.

On a different note, I know it was said in here that the next CNO is also a sub guy, but does anyone know anything about ADM Richardson?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

germskr posted:

Good dude. I like when he comes around and talks to us serfs. On one of his visits he even poo poo-canned my CO.

On a different note, I know it was said in here that the next CNO is also a sub guy, but does anyone know anything about ADM Richardson?

Word on the street from senior people that I know and trust is that he is a pretty down to earth and just a good dude. Which is really weird considering he is a submariner. They also that hes fairly junior in Admiral terms.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

That letter is making the rounds @ work, the reactions of everyone here range from shock to laughter.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

buttplug posted:

I would rather see us as a Navy de-couple the PRT from the BCA and make it a say...3-4 time/year evolution (but keep this coordination at the DIVO/DH level). Spot check doesn't necessarily mean the CO walks into the command and goes "oh hey btw the entire command is doing a PFA this week"....

I have no problem with BCA spot checks because they take no prior planning or coordination, but the PRT does. Especially since it will probably end up being dictated from TYCOM as to when a command will do it and the ship will then be left holding the bag to make it work. Again.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

That is not the case in the Fleet. So we
will open a CAC-accessed 24-hour a day, 7-day a week gym on every Navy base worldwide

I really hope this at least makes it.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
I always kinda wondered how much cash we wasted on those snazzy GMTs .

Can't wait to see what they get replaced by at the command level!

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

ManMythLegend posted:

What I need him to do right now is institute a terminal O4 retention program. :getin:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I'm just happy to see actual progress in personnel policy.

That said January is my SELRES date so... :boom:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Boon posted:

I'm just happy to see actual progress in personnel policy.

That said January is my SELRES date so... :boom:

Well as MML said, there can't be any substantive change in the way officer promotions are handled until Congress heavily revises, or better yet, shitcans, DOPMA. So hopefully the legislation they present is a) sensible and b) Congress takes it seriously.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

vulturesrow posted:

Well as MML said, there can't be any substantive change in the way officer promotions are handled until Congress heavily revises, or better yet, shitcans, DOPMA. So hopefully the legislation they present is a) sensible and b) Congress takes it seriously.

Getting congress to take anything seriously in TYOOL 2015 :negative:

Sarkazm
Sep 26, 2008

Not your father's Sarkazmobile.
Glad I'm still in a military town so I an see (second hand) how it all goes down. I'm expecting a symphony of bitching from khakis I know. Its going to be glorious to laugh at their misery and call them whiny cunts for not being able to adapt with the times.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

LingcodKilla posted:

That is not the case in the Fleet. So we
will open a CAC-accessed 24-hour a day, 7-day a week gym on every Navy base worldwide

I really hope this at least makes it.

Ours is just open 24/7 and it's pretty awesome. I do kind of wish they'd CAC-access it so the dependent CrossFit Nazis would go use the other gym instead of the one with FLEET in the name. I need to work out, Karen, get yo' poo poo offa my treadmill!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ManMythLegend posted:

I have no problem with BCA spot checks because they take no prior planning or coordination, but the PRT does. Especially since it will probably end up being dictated from TYCOM as to when a command will do it and the ship will then be left holding the bag to make it work. Again.

I didn't read it as spot PRTs. It seems like he wants to scratch the PRT itself altogether. The spot checks would be something different. Not really sure what, but something.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Sarkazm posted:

Glad I'm still in a military town so I an see (second hand) how it all goes down. I'm expecting a symphony of bitching from khakis I know. Its going to be glorious to laugh at their misery and call them whiny cunts for not being able to adapt with the times.

I'm pretty excited to see the teeth gnashing and crying that is about to eminate from the careerist fucks in my community.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
I hope the Navy set up a suicide hotline for all the khakis who will read tomorrow that the Navy is making things better for sailors.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I have no idea what any of you are saying or talking about and dread the day I will.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Anita Dickinme posted:

I have no idea what any of you are saying or talking about and dread the day I will.

Some poo poo sucked. Some important dude said some things might not suck in the future. We are all waiting around to see how they gently caress it up.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

vulturesrow posted:

What I need him to do right now is institute a terminal O4 retention program. :getin:

I thought they called that "flight pay"... :confused:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Laranzu posted:

Some poo poo sucked. Some important dude said some things might not suck in the future. We are all waiting around to see how they gently caress it up.

Right then. :munch:

Sarkazm
Sep 26, 2008

Not your father's Sarkazmobile.

Laranzu posted:

This should be every planing board meeting summary ever.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

ManMythLegend posted:

I thought they called that "flight pay"... :confused:

No I'm staying for 20. I'd consider staying past as long as they kept giving me cool stuff to do. But I am on continuation so unless the impossible happens and I select above zone then I have to get out at 20.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

vulturesrow posted:

No I'm staying for 20. I'd consider staying past as long as they kept giving me cool stuff to do. But I am on continuation so unless the impossible happens and I select above zone then I have to get out at 20.

Oh, I see. What about the reserves? Can you transfer at 20 and scam around with them?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

ManMythLegend posted:

Oh, I see. What about the reserves? Can you transfer at 20 and scam around with them?

I have 0 interest in the reserves. If that's my only option I'll just take the retirement and go run the rat race somewhere.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
If I'm planning on getting out is it worth my time qualifying EOOW? Still haven't slated but hoping against hope not to go engineering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Howard Phillips posted:

If I'm planning on getting out is it worth my time qualifying EOOW? Still haven't slated but hoping against hope not to go engineering.

Jesus, no. I wasn't allowed to qualify EOOW (CHENG on my first tour would only qualify mustangs) and I went to a carrier to qualify TAO for my second tour. gently caress engineering.

• Locked thread