Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LegendairyBovine
Oct 6, 2014
Player MVP: The Wasp
OpFor MVP: The Sylphs. They disrupted the players most of the game, and caused that rad teamkill by the challenger.

LegendairyBovine fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Everyone tried to do their best with what they knew and what the dice provided so really, everyone deserves a pat on the back there. Even if things were starting to look bleak and that was running on players' concerns. That said, the single most decisive action in the players' favor was definitely the Wasp's sacrifice. It turned a seemingly certain defeat into a fighting chance, which they won by TKO.

As far as OpFor MVPs go, you really can't beat the Sylphs. They effectively gave PTN map control in the north for the bulk of the match. Hell, just by showing up they were a gamechanger.

Proof being all of those emoticons and reaction posts.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Player MVP: The Wasp for that Athena TKO :allears:
Comedy Option: The Challenger X for what I find to be hilarious Gauss kills.

OpFor MVP: Sylphs for impacting the battle so much from turn 3 onwards.
Comedy Option: Athena Combat Vehicle for having to deal with all the Height 1 shenanigans the players were abusing to not get shot at by it. Or was that the Anhur? Either way, Height 1 shenanigans.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

The Sylphs did a really good job of map control and being giant pains in the rear end and I don't think anyone can resist calling a Wasp a match MVP when given the option to do so.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Player MVP: The Wasp. For all the reasons mentioned. Also, for being a Wasp and deciding the course of a battle in a single shot.

OPFor MVP: Sylphs, for sure. They brought the pain from the moment they were dropped off until the final turn. I never really appreciated how deadly Clan Battle Armor could be until this round.

Honorable Mention: Panther for that last stand against the Mars.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 12:05 on May 14, 2015

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I would just like to point back to how the Wasp was introduced way back during the player picks:

It's come a long way.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

OPForce MVP: The Sylphs were continuously a thorn in the players' side.

GoonForce MVP: The Wasp for finding the ammo dump and then knocking out the Athena.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Voting Wasp and Sylphs for reasons already stated.

Also my god, the game ended with one unit left functional.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Goonforce MVP: The Wasp. After so much scorn and derision and the beating that it took to get there, it completely turned a sure loss into a fighting chance.

Opforce MVP: The Mars Assault Vehicle. People keep bringing up the Sylphs dominating the northern side of the battlefield, but that was mostly because the Mars kept designating them as Aces, allowing them to leverage their mobility and firepower more effectively. And once the Sylphs were mostly dealt with, the Mars was able to nearly demolish the right side on its own before the Panther managed to cripple it.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

MVPs: Wasp and Slyphs

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Wait, the Inner Spherists won? It's a bit hard to make out, but I guess they did.

Darn it :( But great work gaining victory after being so hard pressed the last few rounds.

Lenisto
Nov 1, 2012
What an ending! A good mix of luck, confidence, and :battletech: moments.

Goonforce MVP: Wasp - punched way above its weight, solidly played.

OpFor MVP: The Sylphs - as deadly and dangerous as that Ace Mars was, it was always in sight and a part of the planning. Those Sylphs really threw a wrench in when they popped out and they stayed annoying (if not always deadly) the whole rest of the match.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Voyager I posted:

Also my god, the game ended with one unit left functional.

I'd been giggling about that possibility the last few turns and it's put quite the smile on my face. Not every day you can congratulate someone named Ramsay for being a true hero!

As for MVPs, opposition-wise I'd have to go for the Mars - maybe a bit unfairly since something that big is always going to warp the battle around itself, but it lived up to its potential and did exactly what everyone feared it would from the start: show up at the end when everyone's worn down and obliterate damaged survivors one after the other. For the players, has to be the Wasp, both for insane fortune in taking down the Athena and managing to survive long enough to do so. Hopefully the pilot survived to be lauded for their actions.

Actually, after that bloody battle it'd be interesting to know just how many of the crew and pilots involved actually survived. We're used to mech battles with a relatively small roster, where the survival of each pilot is fairly well tracked, but I've no clue how many (if any) tank crews survived.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Hoooooooooleeeeeeeeee poo poo. That was a brutal fuckin' slugfest and the players should all feel extraordinarily proud of themselves.

My MVP votes go to the Mars for being a nigh-unkillable ACE-designating Brick Of Doom, which kept the players on their toes by designating aces even when it couldn't actually get in the fight itself, and the motherfucking WASP because I have never seen a Wasp be that critical to a combat ever.

Honorable mention to the Sylphs for doing exactly what they were designed to do, namely throwing the Spheroids' formation into disarray and singlehandedly turning that chunk of the map into a quagmire, and the Long Tom for some really, really effective position-denying mine placement.

Honestly there were no LVPs to be had. That was a glorious, glorious effort by the players. And remember - a TKO is still a win.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Jesus. That was :black101: as gently caress.

I'm going to buck the trend and vote for the Epona for clan MVP, I can't remember how many turns were either "Oh poo poo the Epona is going to wreck us!" or "YOU MUST KILL THE EPONA!" It was a lot of them. The goon MVP has to be the Wasp for the super lucky shot on the Athena. Honorable mentions to the Sylphs and the Long Tom, the latter of which is probably responsible in a large part for us not voting the Athena as MVP.

I am a little sad that the clans lost this one, though. That Athena crit :ohdear:

Really this whole thing was fantastic and the last three turns or so have been incredibly tight.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
That's a wrap!

What a scenario, too. Knockout-brawl, winning by the skin of your teeth, it's everything I like about Battletech.

Player MVP: The Wasp Who Could: a good sacrifice to make, which enabled the players to win in the end, a testament to not just throwing your assets away because they're 'useless' on the surface of it.

OPFOR MVP: The Sylphs: Elementals are terrifying shitheads. Elementals who are fast are even worse, and PTN used them to great effect in order to hem in the players in the north and allow him to move his bigger hitters into place with ease.

Overall, you all did a great job on this scenario, and I wouldn't be surprised if this is one of the most remembered games from the whole let's play when it's all over.

Now to wait and see what the after-action report tells us.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Keru posted:

Now to wait and see what the after-action report body count tells us.

:v:

Voting for the Wasp and Sylphs as MVPs as well.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Hard choice for player MVP between the Wasp or that single Long Tom shot that nuked down the Zorya and Odin on the right side, but I'll go with the Wasp.

Enemy MVP should be that single Hero Sylph! I think that was the one point that was a total wrecking crew and kept the entire right side in disarray, crippled the challenger, and set up the Mars' slow roll in there to finish the job.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
MVP for team west side and the Athena massive.

Lots of good ducking and diving with a healthy dose of area denial.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I was wondering why people were confused, but it looks like the end phase didn't save.

I've updated it with the gist of what happened, but I've forgotten some of the rolls (most of them were nothing) for some of the crits.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
Definitely gotta go for the little Wasp that could, as well as those god drat Slyphs for being aggrivatingly annoying and irritating throughout the entire match and basically singlehandedly preventing that entire side of the field from forming up into an effective battleline.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Was there only one vehicle crew that survived the entire fight on the GoonRCT side? Everyone else is dead? :( That is really depressing.

I wonder if the Wasp pilot is alright?

Wasp and Sylphs.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Whole crew? Probably. PTNs fluff has mentioned a few escapees, and others should have made it.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Artificer posted:

Was there only one vehicle crew that survived the entire fight on the GoonRCT side? Everyone else is dead? :( That is really depressing.
Most of the Tokugawa crew bailed out a few turns back, so that's at least a few more survivors.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

drat. I wonder who else managed to make it out? It seems like the disabled vehicle crews probably were mostly okay, yeah.

All the vehicles that went down probably took their crew down with them though, afaik all the vehicle losses seemed catastrophic/explosive. Doesn't seem like people will be walking away from that.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!

Artificer posted:

drat. I wonder who else managed to make it out? It seems like the disabled vehicle crews probably were mostly okay, yeah.

All the vehicles that went down probably took their crew down with them though, afaik all the vehicle losses seemed catastrophic/explosive. Doesn't seem like people will be walking away from that.
We died for the Coordinator-Prince. There is no greater honor.

Well, that was a thing. I know I could have done better, especially at the start, but a win's a win. Onward, DracSuns! Crush the Clans under your treads!

MVP: Sylphs and Wasp. If that Athena was still moving, no way we'd have been able to take out the Horned Owl in time.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

That was a victory by the skin of GoonRCT's teeth. The Hunter being the only Goon vehicle left on the board was unexpected, but at least it was that unit's LRM fire that ended the battle with the lucky headshot on the Horned Owl that led to its continued unconsciousness.

As for MVPs:
GoonRCT: Wasp for the lucky crit on the Athena that turned it into a poorly positioned bunker, Honorable Mention to the Long Tom for area denial and disabling the hovers on the right side of the board, and the Panther for the Mars mobility kill

OpFor: the Sylphs for locking down the north side of the map and almost killing the MASH; Honorable Mention to the Mars for being a big brick with guns that ate every unit GoonRCT sent at it and the Epona for all but locking down the right side before the Mars and Sylphs took over there once it was destroyed

Can't wait to see the fallout of this battle written up...

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

MVP: Mars and Wasp.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Eh, all the mechwarriors on both sides survived(much to the Hunchback IIC's disappointment), and we all know they're the only ones that really matter. :smug:

But yeah, several vehicles were noted has having some/most of their crew bail. Not mentioned but probably also with survivors is the Long Tom, unless all those additional cars are completely automated.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Plus you know, there's a MASH unit right there on the map. Some of the vehicles that were completely killed may well have survivors in them for the MASH to rescue.

e. Actually I wonder, why do the players not get credit for destroying the Clanners' ammo dump, if they control the map at the end? Surely they either destroy or (much more likely) recover the ammo themselves? Or do we assume the elementals that were guarding it make off with all the cases of ammo when they retreat?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Leperflesh posted:

Or do we assume the elementals that were guarding it make off with all the cases of ammo when they retreat?

Most likely this. Presumably a secondary objective is something that's time-sensitive enough that it has to be completed before the scenario officially ends. Like if things had gone the other way, and PTN had wiped out/immobilized the remainder of GoonRCT but the MASH still had structure left, then it would be assumed that they managed to pull off a successful withdrawal, even though there was still one Sylph there plinking away at it.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

I wonder if it would even be possible to build in safety measures for vehicle crews? Or I guess a Large Pulse Laser sweeping your crew compartment would murder everyone despite whatever you did like one of the last vehicles to die this mission.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Spread them out a bit and hope it misses a few of them.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Combat vehicle escape pods are available as experimental tech IIRC.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I guess it might also be a question of how you interpret what the structure points are meant to represent. Once you're through the armor and start damaging structure, are you already blasting/cutting wide open holes into the hull? Or does the integrity of the hull still stay largely intact but the sheer armount of energy and shock transmitted to the vehicle is still enough to damage the more sensitive systems inside without necesarily getting all the way through? Given the stronger engiens and higher degree of automatisation, I also wouldn't be surprised if some tank designs had the crew compartment be essentially encapsulated and separate from the rest of the systems, offering an extra bit of protection.

Depending on what interpretation you go with, tanks could be either complete and utter deathtraps that will resullt in an almost total crew kill every time they're knocked out due to the kind of weaponry involved, or reasonably safe because the tank usually dies long before the crew does, allowing them to bail out safely unless you have something like an ammo explosion.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Lord Koth posted:

Eh, all the mechwarriors on both sides survived(much to the Hunchback IIC's disappointment), and we all know they're the only ones that really matter. :smug:
The Horned Owl's pilot certainly didn't if my Hunter had anything to say about it.
Jumpy fucker! :argh:

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Why bother saving tank crews anyways? A Mech pilot is worth a thousand of those guys :colbert:

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

KnoxZone posted:

Why bother saving tank crews anyways? A Mech pilot is worth a thousand of those guys :colbert:

A true statement if only because both are worthless!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

KnoxZone posted:

Truth. A dude who can afford to buy his own mech probably has a personal wealth 1000 times higher than the average tanker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The Sylphs and Little Wasp That Could are the MVPs of this one, I think. The Mars is disqualified for being a mean son of a bitch inherently.

I was able to catch up on the past several updates in one go, what a drat rollercoaster. Battletech!

• Locked thread