Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I realized that with all the SciFi I've read over the decades I can't remember one that meets that criteria.

get plat shithead

or post an email and let the plat fairy visit

e: i am not the thread avatar fairy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Maybe The Snow Queen by Vinge? That was decent I guess.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
anne mccaffrey writes women but also tends to go a bit romance novel with her scifi

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
also she has awful views on gays

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
fun fact: apparently a bunch of airbnb people don't bother to mark off dates as taken which makes finding one to stay at long term really annoying

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I picked up issue 28 on my way home from work today. I have all the trades. I absolutely adore Saga.

Same. I'm not ashamed to say it's a comic book that's legit brought me to tears.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
I'll be honest, Waterhaul and Dickeye talking about how great Saga was really turned me away from it

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Zeitgueist posted:

get plat shithead

or post an email and let the plat fairy visit

e: i am not the thread avatar fairy

thread avatar fairy is a myth its a group of disparate folk, but i can discern who did what by their MO

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
who wants to hear a great story about creepy and sad dickeye is?

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
standard Le Guin rec if you haven't read her

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Small Frozen Thing posted:

I'll be honest, Waterhaul and Dickeye talking about how great Saga was really turned me away from it

I've deliberately never read the thread because I figured posters would find a way to ruin it. I browse bss but I'm not familiar with those guys, but I understand the instinct.

That being said you should check it out if you want to read a good space opera that legit cares more about characters than pew pew fights. There's some stuff that might be triggering to people, but it's not gross about stuff.

Zeitgueist posted:

Nintendo Kid posted:

i do i do

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

my god

this trailer is sex

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFGDQotoUdg

i want to gently caress this trailer

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Jagchosis posted:

thread avatar fairy is a myth its a group of disparate folk, but i can discern who did what by their MO

*Camera pans out to reveal Jagchosis's wall covered in printed out posts and avatars connected with string*

"This isn't a lone actor, this isn't a lone actor at all!"

You should read it, it's really good.

Zeitgueist posted:

I was thinking about Left Hand of Darkness, but it's a male protagonist and non-sexed characters, which doesn't really fit.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
i'm sure iain [m] banks has had good female protagonists. read him anyway.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Jagchosis posted:

this is arianist heresy against the avatar fairy

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
one thing boston certainly has going for it: all of the main rapid transit lines have park and ride facilities at their main endpoints

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

check out these train tracks that i'm planning to use tomorrow

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Exclamation Marx posted:

i'm sure iain [m] banks has had good female protagonists. read him anyway.

I'm picking up the third book in the Culture series from the library tomorrow on my way home from work.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I'm picking up the third book in the Culture series from the library tomorrow on my way home from work.

use of weapons? that's a good one

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Please recommend a good SciFi book with a legit strong female protagonist.

that ursula k leguin book with the transgendered people?

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Nintendo Kid posted:

Me! Me!

I have a Dickeye story too: One time he started condescendingly explaining to me about how Garth Ennis' use of superhero rape that would make a baby that would explode out of the tough-as-nails cool guy's wife and his quest for revenge against superheroes afterwards was totally sensitive and deep and made up for the nonstop rape jokes in his works.

I said he was full of poo poo, and he exploded and called me a cocksucker.
Someone else posted effectively "Garth Ennis writes manly stories for manly men, and it's understandable why a woman wouldn't find that or the rape jokes appealing"
I said "Yeah, pretty much that" and he responded "WELL IF YOU'D JUST SAID THAT IN THE FIRST PLACE, THEN MAYBE I WOULDN'T HAVE CALLED YOU A COCKSUCKER" before he quickly wised up and replaced it with "Nevermind."

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

also.. theyre making a new Predator movie?

and it is set in the Middle ages?

:psyduck:

:psyduck::psyduck::psyduck::psyduck::psyduck::psyduck::psyduck::psyduck::psyduck::psyduck:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

icantfindaname posted:

that ursula k leguin book with the transgendered people?

Male protagonist though.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Spaceman Future! posted:

also.. theyre making a new Predator movie?

and it is set in the Middle ages?

:psyduck:

:psyduck::psyduck::psyduck::psyduck::psyduck::psyduck::psyduck::psyduck::psyduck::psyduck:

Please tell me it's got Arnold as an aging Conan fighting off Predators. I don't care if this is a lie, tell me that is what is going to happen.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

*Camera pans out to reveal Jagchosis's wall covered in printed out posts and avatars connected with string*

"This isn't a lone actor, this isn't a lone actor at all!"

You should read it, it's really good.

I was thinking about Left Hand of Darkness, but it's a male protagonist and non-sexed characters, which doesn't really fit.

i used my investigative powers to determine who all of the folk who gift avatars ITT are. i have confessions from all of them. i'm that good

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

whose Dickeye

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Please recommend a good SciFi book with a legit strong female protagonist.

any subgenre in particular?
i ain't afraid, I can think of something.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
He goes by LiterallyTheWorst now, which some mod renamed him to at some point.

He's an ADTRW and BSS poster

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

PupsOfWar posted:

any subgenre in particular?
i ain't afraid, I can think of something.

Something that's more Hard SciFi, I'm a little tired of pulpy stuff.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Exclamation Marx posted:

check out these train tracks that i'm planning to use tomorrow

oh word is it raining

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Please tell me it's got Arnold as an aging Conan fighting off Predators. I don't care if this is a lie, tell me that is what is going to happen.

not like age of conan middle ages

actual honest to god middle ages

like archer vs. alien

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Something that's more Hard SciFi, I'm a little tired of pulpy stuff.

how familiar are you with Cherryh

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

PupsOfWar posted:

so feminine she had to add an H to her name to avoid scaring manchildren

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Me! Me!

I have a Dickeye story too: One time he started condescendingly explaining to me about how Garth Ennis' use of superhero rape that would make a baby that would explode out of the tough-as-nails cool guy's wife and his quest for revenge against superheroes afterwards was totally sensitive and deep and made up for the nonstop rape jokes in his works.

Someone else posted effectively "Garth Ennis writes manly stories for manly men, and it's understandable why a woman wouldn't find that or the rape jokes appealing"
I said "Yeah, pretty much that" and he responded "WELL IF YOU'D JUST SAID THAT IN THE FIRST PLACE, THEN MAYBE I WOULDN'T HAVE CALLED YOU A COCKSUCKER" before he quickly wised up and replaced it with "Nevermind."

haha that's amazing, and lol if your go-to insult is cocksucker, it really says all you need to know about someone.

also i hate garth ennis.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

PupsOfWar posted:

Not at all. What's a good book of hers to start with?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Me! Me!

ok so several years back he's dating this girl goon on irc, and like they exchange pictures and poo poo. eventually at one point she happens to be away from irc for a few days (i think she was ona trip?) and he starts talking about how much he misses her (iirc they were never closer than like 300 miles away).

and he lets it slip that he puts his phone with her picture on it on a pillow next to him and cuddles it as he goes to sleep every night. and when we tell her this when she's back she immediately breaks up with him and never speaks to him ever again.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Jesus loving christ, that combined with my story is way more awful than either alone. :stonk:

Alligator Horse
Mar 23, 2013

Ed Greenwood did it because half his novels were about his D&D character boning lots of hot chicks like 1/4 his age, because Ed Greenwood is an ur-grognard

But but but Elminster in Hell!

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
help i'm dying.

on my tombstone write "killed by dickeye's failure at life"

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Not at all. What's a good book of hers to start with?

read Downbelow Station bub. grit your teeth through the intro exposition andd then you're golden.

also Aliette de Bodard is a lesser-known favorite authoress of mine, if you're in the mood for short fiction. Focuses predominantly on non-western + feminist perspectives in futuristic settings where pewpew laser fights are rarely depicted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

ok so several years back he's dating this girl goon on irc, and like they exchange pictures and poo poo. eventually at one point she happens to be away from irc for a few days (i think she was ona trip?) and he starts talking about how much he misses her (iirc they were never closer than like 300 miles away).

and he lets it slip that he puts his phone with her picture on it on a pillow next to him and cuddles it as he goes to sleep every night. and when we tell her this when she's back she immediately breaks up with him and never speaks to him ever again.

lol i'll keep this in mind when reading his terrible posts

• Locked thread