Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

PupsOfWar posted:

read Downbelow Station bub. grit your teeth through the intro exposition andd then you're golden.

also Aliette de Bodard is a lesser-known favorite authoress of mine, if you're in the mood for short fiction. Focuses predominantly on non-western + feminist perspectives in futuristic settings where pewpew laser fights are rarely depicted.

Neat, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
unrelated but for a while dickeye would pretend to be genderqueer on irc. he chose a name, Grace, to use specifically because it wasn't already registered on zirc (or maybe it was already synirc by then)

he quit irc in disgrace shortly after the pillow incident and with that afaik has never pretended to do that whole thing again.

i think he was exclusively trying that as a gimmick to get relationships??

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

ok so several years back he's dating this girl goon on irc, and like they exchange pictures and poo poo. eventually at one point she happens to be away from irc for a few days (i think she was ona trip?) and he starts talking about how much he misses her (iirc they were never closer than like 300 miles away).

and he lets it slip that he puts his phone with her picture on it on a pillow next to him and cuddles it as he goes to sleep every night. and when we tell her this when she's back she immediately breaks up with him and never speaks to him ever again.

does stuff like this still happen on the forums

i feel like i missed out

Alligator Horse
Mar 23, 2013

I've just discovered Doug the Pug and I've never felt closer to an internet celebrity animal in my whole life.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Badger of Basra posted:

does stuff like this still happen on the forums

i feel like i missed out

i have to assume there's all sorts of goons still doing similar things. but like this was, it's offsite even though strictly involving goons, so the forum at large will never hear about it.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Nintendo Kid posted:

unrelated but for a while dickeye would pretend to be genderqueer on irc. he chose a name, Grace, to use specifically because it wasn't already registered on zirc (or maybe it was already synirc by then)

he quit irc in disgrace shortly after the pillow incident and with that afaik has never pretended to do that whole thing again.

He sure as gently caress identifies as male now, so that's pretty likely.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
honestly though like, it was really creepy and weird how he refused to use a name that was already happened to be registered, it had to be one that could be registered.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Sharkie posted:

also i hate garth ennis.

I've only ever read a little bit of Ennis here and there. Can never get past the degree to which most of his works seem to revolve around:

1. Shocking the audience with arbitrarily purreil attempts at humor
2." 'ere, I'm a toof irish bloke an' these are me mateys, who're toff irish blokes also. Lookit 'ow toof we aer!"

His superhero work somehow always seems to be better than his other offerings, which seems weird to me given that he's the most aggressively anti-superhero comics writer there is.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Badger of Basra posted:

oh word is it raining

http://picosong.com/jF2U

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

Spaceman Future! posted:

my god

this trailer is sex

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFGDQotoUdg

i want to gently caress this trailer

wow

agreed

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

PupsOfWar posted:

I've only ever read a little bit of Ennis here and there. Can never get past the degree to which most of his works seem to revolve around:

2." 'ere, I'm a toof irish bloke an' these are me mateys, who're toff irish blokes also. Lookit 'ow toof we aer!"

His superhero work somehow always seems to be better than his other offerings, which seems weird to me given that he's the most aggressively anti-superhero comics writer there is.

Yeah, that's pretty much it

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

I am baked as gently caress I always forget how good good weed is

also I love my relatives but this house is upper-middle class as fuuuucccckkk

mechanic is a pretty blue collar job tho

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
the telling is a leguin sci fi novel with a female protagonist. i read it like ten years ago so i don't remember much, but 18 year old me liked it and contemporary me continues to love le guin so it might be worth checking out

ugh shes old, its going to be horrible when she dies :(

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

man octavia butler did not live long

Alligator Horse
Mar 23, 2013

Joe Shishido as an Old looks like he got surgery to reverse his chipmunk cheeks. He looks so goddamn weird in these 60s/70s yakuza flicks.

edit: his chipmunk cheeks were achieved via surgery in the first place just fyi

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

PupsOfWar posted:

yeah, all that and the constant sexual assault, which I'm sure he fixates on for very mature and sensitive reasons. ennis and his work just seem aggressively dumb and unpleasant.

http://naturesoundsfor.me/ Californians can use this to relive their fading memories of rain.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Personal life[edit]
Ennis is a resolute atheist.[28] He is an enthusiastic student of the history of World War II.[1]

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Sharkie posted:

yeah, all that and the constant sexual assault, which I'm sure he fixates on for very mature and sensitive reasons. ennis and his work just seem aggressively dumb and unpleasant.

I mean Grant Morrison dips into the rape well too often and I still like his stuff, but he doesn't do rape jokes constantly like Ennis does

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

:stare:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

lol uspol fell for a huffpo satire piece

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Sharkie posted:

I'm sure Ennis is ~talented~ and all, but he is the kind of dude (an rear end in a top hat) who would benefit from stronger editorial oversight rather than being liberated by the lack thereof.

Someone to go. "No, Garth, you shouldn't have your deuteragonist gently caress a goat, and also don't have your only lady character get forced into gang-oral-sex at gunpoint, you motherfucker"

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

who is even named garth anyway

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Zeitgueist posted:

was solid through book 6 but he kinda lost it and needed some editing and then he got sick and who's gonna tell a dying guy to get his poo poo together

Wish someone would tell it to GRRM! (since he's dying of sheer fat bearded perviness)

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Swan Oat posted:

who is even named garth anyway

i know someone named garth. he is from appalachia

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Nintendo Kid posted:

what a loving weirdo

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAeJM-Z-qWQ

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Nintendo Kid posted:

typical sci fi fan dot jpg

lol the one shelf has sagged to the point that the books have become structural

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Nintendo Kid posted:

One wonders what sort of relationship he was looking for while keeping up such a "deception."

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lol the one shelf has sagged to the point that the books have become structural

I have digitized my collecting habit because I am not a baby.

Also interlibrary loans.

Support your local libraries, some of America's Greatest Civic Institutions.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Nintendo Kid posted:

typical sci fi fan dot jpg

Just imagine how many trees for whose deaths this person is indirectly responsible. To an Ent, this would be like a pyramid of skulls.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Small Frozen Thing posted:

I mean Grant Morrison dips into the rape well too often and I still like his stuff, but he doesn't do rape jokes constantly like Ennis does

Yeah, I should have specified. Morrison does it too often for me, but I still really like his stuff too. Morrison at least seems to have good intentions and is trying to do something other than get laughs or gross-out reactions from it.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

Majorian posted:

Just imagine how many trees for whose deaths this person is indirectly responsible. To an Ent, this would be like a pyramid of skulls.

That's the equivalent of like 3 skulls tops

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Alright, gnight D&Dchat

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

LorrdErnie posted:

So the average bookshelf skull count for a MRA youtube video?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

LorrdErnie posted:

Oh shut up. Nobody cares about getting the accurate number of trees killed, you silly goony-goon.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Majorian posted:

Oh shut up. Nobody cares about how many actual trees were destroyed.

I care. I care about each and every one of Gaia's children.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

an ent would care, majorian

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Swan Oat posted:

an ent would care, majorian

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I care. I care about each and every one of Gaia's children.

Yeah, but my highest duty is to my joke, which LorrdErnie so callously ruined!!!:doom:

Also, one dead tree for a lovely manga is a tragedy. A million dead trees for lovely mangas is a statistic.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
All of you will be the first against the biodegradable, petroleum-free wall for your insincerity in loving mother nature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Lotka Volterra posted:

All of you will be the first against the biodegradable, petroleum-free wall for your insincerity in loving mother nature

Let her come at me, nothing she's thrown at me so far has stopped me yet

• Locked thread