Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wet Fifty
Dec 6, 2005

Greetings from the inner-
city, high-humidity, ass
and titty bar.

The MSJ posted:

Hawkeye is so tired of your poo poo.

$162.90 for that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Wet Fifty posted:

$162.90 for that?

That's not in US dollars.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

It's obviously from the alt-timeline Avengers: The Old Age of Ultron.

The Age of Oldtron

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Choco1980 posted:

The Golden Age of comics really always surprises me for the fact that there's obviously zero quality control in place.

I love those comics with the super omnipotent dude, I think it's starman or something, who inflicts horrific and ironic punishments on his enemies. Like he turned one guy into a giant head or something. Those comics are messed up and intended for children.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

nexus6 posted:

I love those comics with the super omnipotent dude, I think it's starman or something, who inflicts horrific and ironic punishments on his enemies. Like he turned one guy into a giant head or something. Those comics are messed up and intended for children.

Stardust. The Super Wizard.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

QUACKTASTIC posted:

When 900 years old, you reach… handle your weed well, you will not

Doob or doob not, there is no try

The MSJ posted:

That's not in US dollars.

Plus, y'know...it's TRU, they're notorious for being stupid expensive compared to anywhere else

BOOTY-ADE has a new favorite as of 17:31 on May 13, 2015

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
EDIT: Ah poo poo, where did that new page come from?

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

BrianBoitano posted:

Naw, that's a classic Flehmen Response. He's trying to get a good whiff of some female Ultron urine he's come across.

This is an amazing post.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

BjornOfBorg posted:

I think this is one of the more inspired recent Ken M. posts.

That's some good poo poo.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

I would legit drive the hell out of one of these.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Are you in fact Franken Berry

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Oh Common Core, you so funny

It reads like a stupid riddle out of context, I guess.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

You just break every equation down to ones. You have eight ones and five ones so you add five of the eight ones to the five other ones and now you have ten ones and three ones. Don't worry about the three ones though, they get to live on a nice farm with grandma and your old dog.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

That seems like the exact opposite of basic logic skills and is the sort of thinking that creates 80's point and click adventure games.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It's written exactly like a lovely puzzle. And it's terrible maths.

If it was "If you had 8 of an item here and 5 of an item there, how would you make a group of 10 items?" I'd be fine with it. That's nice, simple kindergarten level maths. Sesame Street poo poo, yo.

But just saying "(8+2=10) Then add 3" makes me want to hunt down whoever thought common core was a good idea and run them over with my car.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Choco1980 posted:

That seems like the exact opposite of basic logic skills and is the sort of thinking that creates 80's point and click adventure games.

Not really, it's the way most people do math mentally they just don't write it down and realize it. If I asked to you add 1127 to 94 you drat sure wouldn't be doing it in your head the way you'd do it on paper. You'd probably just round those numbers to something easy and say, it's about 1220 and call it a day. This is just that method of math, but exact. It really doesn't make much sense with single digit numbers but where the hell else are you going to start if you have to teach little kids.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

every new method of teaching me math fails more miserably than the last

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Modern Day Hercules posted:

Not really, it's the way most people do math mentally they just don't write it down and realize it. If I asked to you add 1127 to 94 you drat sure wouldn't be doing it in your head the way you'd do it on paper. You'd probably just round those numbers to something easy and say, it's about 1220 and call it a day. This is just that method of math, but exact. It really doesn't make much sense with single digit numbers but where the hell else are you going to start if you have to teach little kids.

This is dumb as hell.

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.
Aren't there also multiple correct answers in that question, like 7 from one and 3 from the other? Is that a feature or a bug

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
(8+2)+3=(10)+3

You quickly know what adds up to 10, then you figure out the rest.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Unoriginal Name posted:

(8+2)+3=(10)+3

You quickly know what adds up to 10, then you figure out the rest.

1=1

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

I have an easier way to communicate that same principle: "what do 2+8, 5+5, and 1+9 all have in common?"

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Jaramin posted:

I have an easier way to communicate that same principle: "what do 2+8, 5+5, and 1+9 all have in common?"

They're all numbers

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

1=0.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999...?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
When I was a kid we played something in school called the 24 game. Basically the teacher held up a flash card with 4 numbers on it and you had to figure out how you could add, subtract, multiply or divide those numbers to get 24. You had to use each number and could only use each once. It might be something easy like
6|2
8|4
where you can do something like 8/4=2, 2x2=4, 6x4=24 or it could be way more complicated, involving larger double-digit numbers. Oddly enough that helped me do a ton of math in my head and it really helped me remember arithmetic shortcuts.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Baron von Eevl posted:

When I was a kid we played something in school called the 24 game. Basically the teacher held up a flash card with 4 numbers on it and you had to figure out how you could add, subtract, multiply or divide those numbers to get 24. You had to use each number and could only use each once. It might be something easy like
6|2
8|4
where you can do something like 8/4=2, 2x2=4, 6x4=24 or it could be way more complicated, involving larger double-digit numbers. Oddly enough that helped me do a ton of math in my head and it really helped me remember arithmetic shortcuts.

That's a good and useful exercise, though, whereas "how can 8 + 5 = 10" is some dumb stupid poo poo

Wet Fifty
Dec 6, 2005

Greetings from the inner-
city, high-humidity, ass
and titty bar.

Baron von Eevl posted:

6|2
8|4

or 6*2 = 12, +8 +4 = 24. EDUFANTASTIC!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Modern Day Hercules posted:

I know I'm only contributing to the derail and pulling an "I'm oooold :corsair: moment, but I was taught the old fashioned way how to do math, and in my head that's exactly how I added those numbers. I saw you asking to add 1127 to 94 and my brain immediately pictured:

+ 94
--------

And I sat and figured it out in at most 5 seconds, and I'm not the fastest math guy in the world by far. something cockamamie like (94 + 6) + (1127-6) or whatever adds more steps to the process and slows you down further, and is not in the least bit how my brain processes math.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
edit: sorry folks, uncalled for

THE PENETRATOR has a new favorite as of 07:52 on May 14, 2015

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Choco1980 posted:

I know I'm only contributing to the derail and pulling an "I'm oooold :corsair: moment, but I was taught the old fashioned way how to do math, and in my head that's exactly how I added those numbers. I saw you asking to add 1127 to 94 and my brain immediately pictured:

+ 94
--------

And I sat and figured it out in at most 5 seconds, and I'm not the fastest math guy in the world by far. something cockamamie like (94 + 6) + (1127-6) or whatever adds more steps to the process and slows you down further, and is not in the least bit how my brain processes math.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIWaJ0sy03g

Deteriorata has a new favorite as of 06:53 on May 14, 2015

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Choco1980 posted:

+ 94
--------

You're not adding any steps in the alternate method, the steps you're doing are just different. You had to do poo poo like add each place one by one and carry the ones and poo poo, whereas the other method doesn't require any of that. If you're actually picturing graphical representations of math problems you're wasting time, and if you're trying to be fast about it you're probably loving up more often and worse when you do it than if you were just rounding to the nearest ten and then rectifying from there.

Nerds don't like to think about it, but the methods that we notate and process math problems by are 100% arbitrary. It worked fine when people just picked random rear end letters to represent numbers, it worked fine before they realized 0 was a thing, and it works fine with the common core method, they just aren't what we learned in school so a lot of goony fucks are scared by the change as they always are.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Who the gently caress cares how you do math. The picture is supposed to be funny because the problem is poorly worded, and the explanation is just as confusing.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

dpbjinc posted:

Who the gently caress cares how you do math. The picture is supposed to be funny because the problem is poorly worded, and the explanation is just as confusing.

I found it funny because a child young enough to misspell "with" understood the question and gave a correct answer, then was given the note by a (presumably) adult teacher that they were wrong with some frankly bizarre reasoning and WHY THE gently caress DO I HAVE TO EXPLAIN WHAT THE gently caress FUNNY MEANS loving gently caress

I had another image set of cats but gently caress ya'll

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
cats in holes are funny to me because i imagine a man pouring cement over the cat and it becoming a dead cat statue in a pot or something, and i lauygh..

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

it looks like a funny face :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

• Locked thread