Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Lightning Lord posted:

The Supergirl trailer was pretty fun. Oh no, a love interest, it's straight up Sex and the City!

This just in: Every superhero to ever exist has had a love interest or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ToastyPotato posted:

I can't wait for the Captain Marvel merch that features everyone but Carol on it.

You mean the no toys they're going to make because "WTF is this poo poo, a movie without a dude in the action scenes? How do we sell toys to males 7-10?"?

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

ToastyPotato posted:

You read that MRA article too huh? It was precious.

Yeah apparently Mattel and Hasbro both did toys and in both sets they made the motorcycle that she rides but one of them put Cap on it and the other put Iron Man on it, despite that being one of the few big action scenes she even had in the movie. Kind of dickish. They also apparently omitted her from other merchandise, but apparently they omitted Gamora from a bunch of GotG stuff too.

I can't wait for the Captain Marvel merch that features everyone but Carol on it.

I remember considering grabbing some Guardians of the Galaxy blanket for dragging out on picnics or something like an insufferable weirdo; it had the full cast ... minus Gamora. Weirder was that she made it onto the packaging but not the product. I think she got a single action figure, a Funko pop, a Lego minifig as part of a larger set and 0 t-shirts. Black Widow got a Marvel Legends figure, I think a new Funko, and also a Lego minifig as part of a larger set. I think that was it. There may be one or two other things, but it hardly compares to what Cap and Iron Man get. (Scarlet Witch, I'm pretty sure, got literally nothing for the movie, though neither did Pietro.)

Apparently Disney's marketing figures they've got girls all set with the princesses and don't want to bother marketing superhero stuff to them. Never mind that women make up like half the audience and young girls like superhero movies too. :shrug:

I wonder if Supergirl will end up getting any merchandising.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ToastyPotato posted:

You read that MRA article too huh? It was precious.

My favourite part was them throwing a fit about a "piece of American culture" being trashed by icky girls!

Yes, noted American Mel Gibson driving around the American Outback, that's how I remember Mad Max.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
They would have to give Fox part of the money for a toy or any merchandise specifically of Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch I'm guessing.

Or possibly it's just part of the general "no Fantastic Four, no X-Men" marketing directive they have going on which seems to mostly come from sheer spite.

e: Unless they did make a Quicksilver action figure in which case idk, lol.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Gaz-L posted:

My favourite part was them throwing a fit about a "piece of American culture" being trashed by icky girls!

Yes, noted American Mel Gibson driving around the American Outback, that's how I remember Mad Max.

What are you talking about, Max Max was always a good ol' yankee boy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPC3E6ZhjTI

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Harime Nui posted:

They would have to give Fox part of the money for a toy or any merchandise specifically of Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch I'm guessing.

Or possibly it's just part of the general "no Fantastic Four, no X-Men" marketing directive they have going on which seems to mostly come from sheer spite.

e: Unless they did make a Quicksilver action figure in which case idk, lol.

Oh, there's a Scarlet Witch figure, at least from Hasbro. Just no Widow.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Oh, there's a Scarlet Witch figure. Just no Widow.

The only Scarlet Witch figure I know about is the Marvel Legends one, which was of comics Wanda, not the movie version. Did they put out a movie one? Natasha did get one movie figure, as part of an Amazon-exclusive four pack alongside Banner, Hawkeye and Thor.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

A Tin Of Beans posted:

The only Scarlet Witch figure I know about is the Marvel Legends one, which was of comics Wanda, not the movie version. Did they put out a movie one? Natasha did get one movie figure, as part of an Amazon-exclusive four pack alongside Banner, Hawkeye and Thor.

AKA The ones that marketing kinda remembers but aren't in hugely successful solo franchises. (Before anyone says Thor, I said 'hugely successful')

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm talking the really lovely toys figures that are, Ultron excepted, entirely old stock or repaints.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

MikeJF posted:

I'm talking the really lovely toys figures that are, Ultron excepted, entirely old stock or repaints.

Holy poo poo, those are awful. :allears: I had no idea they existed, though, so hey! Score one for ... someone, I guess.

Gaz-L posted:

AKA The ones that marketing kinda remembers but aren't in hugely successful solo franchises. (Before anyone says Thor, I said 'hugely successful')

Hey, the Hulk movies weren't hugely successful either! :downs:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's the thing. It's not that girls don't want action figures, it's that boys won't play with girl action figures. Boys drive action figure sales way more than girls do. I understand why it's hosed up that there aren't girl action figures but the simple matter is toy companies aren't going to make toys that don't sale for the sake of a social message.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
How are boys or girls supposed to want to play with girl action figures if no one will make any? Moreover, how are we able to tell if it will sell if it doesn't exist? That's not business sense, it's a self-defeating prophecy. The same one that claims female-led action movies aren't profitable in the same instant that YA novel adaptations are helplessly drowning in profits.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

Here's the thing. It's not that girls don't want action figures, it's that boys won't play with girl action figures. Boys drive action figure sales way more than girls do. I understand why it's hosed up that there aren't girl action figures but the simple matter is toy companies aren't going to make toys that don't sale for the sake of a social message.

Ding Ding. We have a winner.

If they didn't make a Black Widow toy it's because they have a warehouse full of unsold Black Widow toys that told them it wasn't in there best interests to make one. It's not a grand conspiracy.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Deadpool posted:

If they didn't make a Black Widow toy it's because they have a warehouse full of unsold Black Widow toys that told them it wasn't in there best interests to make one. It's not a grand conspiracy.

A warehouse full of Black Widow toys from when? The first Avengers movie where she had even less screen time? With Winter Soldier, she had a lot of screen time, and AoU, for better or worse, tried developing her character more* and gave her more to do than in the first film in general. If the first Avengers movie had a Widow toy and it didn't sell, it was probably because she hadn't been any where near as marketed as a character at that point. She's also a pretty main part of the team for the cartoon show as well, which didn't come out until after the first movie. They could have at the very least made limited copies to test the waters.

Also that doesn't seem to explain them removing Gamora from a bunch of stuff because she wasn't in any other movies so there is no way the have a warehouse filled with failed Gamora toys. Boys don't want girl figures because no one wants to market them to boys. And boys aren't likely to be the only one who would want Black Widow toys. Girls might want them too, but again, no one wants to market girl figures to them either!

Captain Marvel is pretty much going to prove or disprove the argument.

AoU spoiler: In a some what lovely way by making her being sterilized a big developmental moment for her, as well as her having a thing for Banner, which surely did nothing for the character with regards to merchandise marketability. They kind of hamstrung Hawkeye too though, to be fair, with the whole family man angle.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Deadpool posted:

The Black Widow Marvel Legends figure released around CATWS sold really well and was impossible to find for a while until they did a second run of them. :shrug: You still sometimes see it at jacked up prices at conventions and poo poo because of that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ToastyPotato posted:

A warehouse full of Black Widow toys from when? The first Avengers movie where she had even less screen time? With Winter Soldier, she had a lot of screen time, and AoU, for better or worse, tried developing her character more* and gave her more to do than in the first film in general. If the first Avengers movie had a Widow toy and it didn't sell, it was probably because she hadn't been any where near as marketed as a character at that point. She's also a pretty main part of the team for the cartoon show as well, which didn't come out until after the first movie. They could have at the very least made limited copies to test the waters.

Also that doesn't seem to explain them removing Gamora from a bunch of stuff because she wasn't in any other movies so there is no way the have a warehouse filled with failed Gamora toys. Boys don't want girl figures because no one wants to market them to boys. And boys aren't likely to be the only one who would want Black Widow toys. Girls might want them too, but again, no one wants to market girl figures to them either!

Captain Marvel is pretty much going to prove or disprove the argument.

AoU spoiler: In a some what lovely way by making her being sterilized a big developmental moment for her, as well as her having a thing for Banner, which surely did nothing for the character with regards to merchandise marketability. They kind of hamstrung Hawkeye too though, to be fair, with the whole family man angle.

Toy companies sell toys for more than just movies. The reason they're not making the toy people who would never buy them anyway are mad about is because the 8 year olds that actually play with them and the 40 years old that leave them in boxes in their closet don't buy them. They have years of numbers to back decisions like these up no matter if a few angry people on the internet think otherwise. They're not in the business of making plastic toys so everybody gets representation they're in the business of making plastic toys to make money.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
The lack of female action figures isn't boys going "ew ickky" it's parents going "eww icky" in a blend of boys don't play with dolls and female figures are all dolls and I poo poo you not puritanical thought that "impure thoughts" arise from touching a hard plastic female boobs.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Every time somebody says a real network show looks cheap compared to Arrow or Flash I laugh and laugh and laugh.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Deadpool posted:

Not really though. These decisions are based on like, decades old marketing research, research which was probably heavily biased by the predominantly male marketing firms of the time. Here aren't warehouses of BW toys from Avengers 1 or Winter Soldier, she didn't get a lot of toys for those either. Even if they do expect the bw to sell less, they can make it a smaller run.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Edit: Did everyone talking about how Supergirl is the first female led comic show forget Peggy Carter exists and was renewed for a second season?

Holy poo poo I legit did, and it's the best Marvel show.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

greatn posted:

Not really though. These decisions are based on like, decades old marketing research, research which was probably heavily biased by the predominantly male marketing firms of the time. Here aren't warehouses of BW toys from Avengers 1 or Winter Soldier, she didn't get a lot of toys for those either. Even if they do expect the bw to sell less, they can make it a smaller run.

Yes I'm sure modern companies in competitive environments looking to make the most money possible are using decades old marketing research. Nobody at these companies has thought about updating this research in an attempt to make more money, no way.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Deadpool posted:

Toy companies sell toys for more than just movies. The reason they're not making the toy people who would never buy them anyway are mad about is because the 8 year olds that actually play with them and the 40 years old that leave them in boxes in their closet don't buy them. They have years of numbers to back decisions like these up no matter if a few angry people on the internet think otherwise. They're not in the business of making plastic toys so everybody gets representation they're in the business of making plastic toys to make money.
They also don't like making toys for characters that bombed in the movies and made them waste a whole ton of plastic and capital so gently caress you we aren't going to make Green Lantern TAS action figures. Understandable but still sad as it might be.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Deadpool posted:

People are getting mad at the symptom, not the disease. It does kind of suck because it's a cycle: there is a cultural reason 8 year old boys don't play with girl action figures, it's not coming out of nowhere, it's coming from peers/parents/older brothers/media etc. It makes some sort of sense to get angry with the companies because they are knowingly perpetuating it, no point in getting pissed at an 8 year old for learned behavior. But yeah it won't immediately change business practices, I guess at least it makes people aware of the imbalance and maybe a few people realize it's hosed up. That's probably the best you can hope for.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A Tin Of Beans posted:

The Black Widow Marvel Legends figure released around CATWS sold really well and was impossible to find for a while until they did a second run of them. :shrug: You still sometimes see it at jacked up prices at conventions and poo poo because of that.

Marvel Legends is aimed at adult collectors, not kids.

And shortages in those aren't necessarily a sign of high sales, it's just terribly organized.

Skwirl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYh7mrJxbXw

Edit: Did everyone talking about how Supergirl is the first female led comic show forget Peggy Carter exists and was renewed for a second season?

They had actually been saying superhero show, not comic show.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
People love to single out Marvel for not representing female characters, but it's really a problem with the entire industry. Hell, I'd say it's actually worse. Next time you pass the toy aisle take a look at how many figures there are of female power rangers on ninja turtle characters.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

A Tin Of Beans posted:

That kind of joke worked really well with Billy in Young Avengers coming out as a hero to his parents - because Billy is actually gay. Here it just comes off as stupid and mildly insulting.

Should have gone with "Gay? Yes, that too, but that's not why we're here". Would have made The whole secret identity part of the show more interesting from the get go.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I spent the last few hours cutting this together. I'm such a nerd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3dkwFObqSM

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Turns out Supergirl was on Glee with Flash. I've heard nothing but negative things about Glee. Is it one of those shows that's really bad with a really good cast?

Supergirl is cute :3: but looks bad. I will watch it anyway.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

teagone posted:

Much, much better.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Honestly I don't think it's too bad but they really need to cut out the cutesy "my cousin" poo poo and just say "Superman" and not treat the viewer like an idiot.

Although really I think they never should've had Superman exist in the show's universe to begin with, as now it's just going to lead to every scene being "Well where's Superman? When's he gonna cameo?" and the ever popular "Why isn't Superman stopping all this crime if he has super-hearing and knows it's happening?"

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

TwoPair posted:

Honestly I don't think it's too bad but they really need to cut out the cutesy "my cousin" poo poo and just say "Superman" and not treat the viewer like an idiot.

Although really I think they never should've had Superman exist in the show's universe to begin with, as now it's just going to lead to every scene being "Well where's Superman? When's he gonna cameo?" and the ever popular "Why isn't Superman stopping all this crime if he has super-hearing and knows it's happening?"

It's really weird because just by judging from the trailer it seems as if not only does Superman exist in this iteration, he's still around. Which really puts the show in rough spot immediately. I thought they'd go with something like Superman being dead or missing or something because him being alive and active sets some viewer expectations that almost certainly will never be delivered on. I doubt CBS will actually be able to use Superman in the series since DC is weird about that stuff but the fact that he's out there and active but never shows up to help out, or hell for even a chat with his cousin, is going to be odd. People will keep expecting him to show up at some point and it'll probably not happen. Him being in a different city is not a valid excuse when it's Superman we're talking about.

Or who knows maybe Cavil shows up and the show ties into the DC Cinematic Universe. CBS does have Bradley Cooper somehow doing a recurring role on Limitless, but that doesn't have to jump through DC hurdles. But Superman's existence does pretty much nix the show from being set in the CW universe though becuase the producers of Flash and Arrow have stated before that Superman does not exist in their universe.

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!
You know what? I thought the Supergirl trailer was fun. I dunno that it needed to be 6 minutes long but the build up to flying and catching the plane genuinely made me excited. Its great to see some heroics be so colorful, especially when our latest offerings from the Superman world are so dark and dower. Its one of the reasons I enjoy The Flash so much too, yeah Arrow is entertaining and I enjoy it but the sheer bright enthusiastic spirit of the show is what grabs me. Supergirl looks like its doing the same and also feels like something my Nieces would enjoy. I'm not one for the pop music but again the nieces are and I have no complaints about superhero shows being accommodating to more than us core audience of nerds.

Although I did find it odd that the guy asking her out thinks shes gay and then seemingly start ticking boxes for 'Gay best friend' in a romcom (Getting sassy at capes and her cousin, costume fashion show) but i think that may be odd editing on the trailers part. On the upside if that IS her love interest we have already skipped one of the big problems Arrow and Flash had which was Iris and Laurel being kept out the loop.

teagone posted:

This is a much cooler trailer though.

Agent_grey fucked around with this message at 10:08 on May 14, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

teagone posted:

It's better presented but show still looks like complete garbage

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The worst thing about the original trailer is that weird Bloom filter going on, which is seems par for VFX-reliant shows with awful budgets - or vain actors who don't want people to see their pores or some poo poo. Seems weird to do so many scenes with rooftops and large windows, if you can't be bothered to do more with the scenery and VFX.

Looks like a B- priority show, if that's the budget - or maybe they intend to re-do the VFX, when it gets picked up. Flash had a much stronger showing.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Deadpool posted:

It's really weird because just by judging from the trailer it seems as if not only does Superman exist in this iteration, he's still around. Which really puts the show in rough spot immediately. I thought they'd go with something like Superman being dead or missing or something because him being alive and active sets some viewer expectations that almost certainly will never be delivered on. I doubt CBS will actually be able to use Superman in the series since DC is weird about that stuff but the fact that he's out there and active but never shows up to help out, or hell for even a chat with his cousin, is going to be odd. People will keep expecting him to show up at some point and it'll probably not happen. Him being in a different city is not a valid excuse when it's Superman we're talking about.

Or who knows maybe Cavil shows up and the show ties into the DC Cinematic Universe. CBS does have Bradley Cooper somehow doing a recurring role on Limitless, but that doesn't have to jump through DC hurdles. But Superman's existence does pretty much nix the show from being set in the CW universe though becuase the producers of Flash and Arrow have stated before that Superman does not exist in their universe.

The strangest thing about that trailer is when Jimmy comes to her with a family heirloom instead of Superman himself. I hope the show is good, but I'm already dreading 22 episodes of hearing about her cousin.

teagone posted:

Wow, this is much, much better. The music alone makes such a huge difference.

JT Smiley fucked around with this message at 13:29 on May 14, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Deadpool posted:

The chat with Jimmy when she gets the cape implies he's staying away from wherever she is to give her a chance.

Which means hopefully there aren't any murders going on while she's getting accustomed to the role.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I guess this is actually happening? For some reason I feel like this project was always going to be one of those vaporware shows, but here we are.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Agent_grey posted:

You know what? I thought the Supergirl trailer was fun. I dunno that it needed to be 6 minutes long but the build up to flying and catching the plane genuinely made me excited. Its great to see some heroics be so colorful, especially when our latest offerings from the Superman world are so dark and dower. Its one of the reasons I enjoy The Flash so much too, yeah Arrow is entertaining and I enjoy it but the sheer bright enthusiastic spirit of the show is what grabs me. Supergirl looks like its doing the same and also feels like something my Nieces would enjoy. I'm not one for the pop music but again the nieces are and I have no complaints about superhero shows being accommodating to more than us core audience of nerds.

Although I did find it odd that the guy asking her out thinks shes gay and then seemingly start ticking boxes for 'Gay best friend' in a romcom (Getting sassy at capes and her cousin, costume fashion show) but i think that may be odd editing on the trailers part. On the upside if that IS her love interest we have already skipped one of the big problems Arrow and Flash had which was Iris and Laurel being kept out the loop.

I like the tone, I like the actors. I just don't like the Superwoman - Supergirl speech which just sounds stupid coming out of Calista Flockhart's mouth at her age and the character she seems to play. That's like Clooney calling himself "boy". And the stereotypical Rom-Com female lead job they gave Kara.

Recut trailer is alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

teagone posted:

This trailer is much improved. But it's probably worse in the sense that it isn't representative of the final product at all(basing this solely on the real 6min trailer).