Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Pyrolocutus posted:

Make the "legacy staple" 95% black bordered then the remainder is silver. Sadly note that because it's not completely black-bordered, it's not eligible for legacy.

I was joking about this last night at my LGS. The set should be silver-bordered like normal, but one card per pack the silver scratches off lotto-style to reveal a black border beneath it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Played Blue Tron for the first time in months.

Realized why I stopped to play Fish. :buddy:

I wish it was good. :sigh:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah, that's 508.3.

That's the only player priority window between attacker declares attackers and defender declares blockers, and you cannot legally declare a blocker that is ineligible to block at that moment (as the unactivated gargoyles would be).

Assuming I read the rules correctly. The keyword "priority" is new to me.

Priority is what actual magic has instead of the duels countdown timer thing. Instead of this weird timer based thing, the active player (the player whose turn it is) gets a chance to do something, and then, if they pass, then the non-active player gets a chance to do something. It's not just a free for all where the first person to jam the space bar gets their spell out first.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Quick EDH (lol) rules question

If I'm MonoB vs. MonoU and I drop a Contamination and my opponent has out Caged Sun why is he still getting blue mana when he taps Islands when per Contamination he should only be getting Black or (per EDH rules) colorless since he can't produce black mana as MonoU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

If I'm MonoB vs. MonoU and I drop a Contamination and my opponent has out Caged Sun why is he still getting blue mana when he taps Islands when per Contamination he should only be getting Black or (per EDH rules) colorless since he can't produce black mana as MonoU

Because caged sun is a super weird template and it's programmed wrong on modo.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

If you're playing on MODO, it's broken. If you're playing on paper, he's wrong. Gauntlet of Power, on the other hand, would still work (It triggers off the land tapping for mana, whereas the Sun triggers when the mana of the named color would be added, or something along those lines).

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

JOKES ON ME FOR PLAYING MODO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

So I've been generating MM15 sealed pools for practice. Interesting thought exercise. I'd like to hear some goon thoughts.
http://www.magicdrafting.com/savedpools/10384 I built this one as UW Artifacts. The payoff is just too high and you have some sweet tempo cards like Repeal and Vapor Snag, two Souleaters, three Affinity dudes etc. Blinkmoth Nexus, Myrsmith, you can take Fortify for reach. You can throw Cryptic in since with so many artifacts you can run 9-10 blue sources easy. I considered BW Spirits but despite two each of the best Spirit creatures there are no Otherworldly Journey and no spiritcraft dudes. The red cards have potential for the BR Suicide Aggro archetype but the Black support isn't there.

http://www.magicdrafting.com/savedpools/10385 I consciously tried to not force the archetype but UW Metalcraft is again too obvious and strong a pull. You have TWO Mirran Crusaders and some equipment for them to wear, plus two strong gold cards on color and your white is good in general with O-Ring, Arrest, the Journeys etc. You can board in the Leaks and/or Remand to make it very controlling too. I considered GW Tokens but I don't think it's as good.

http://www.magicdrafting.com/savedpools/10386 I like suicide black here with BR but the creature pool is not very deep. The few that there are are phenomenal in the archetype but the count is low unless you start including Dread Drones which do not really fit what the archetype is trying to do. There's plenty of removal at least. I considered UB Proliferate Control (which I think is a fair archetype) but didn't think that was deep enough either. Would love some input.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

So I've been generating MM15 sealed pools for practice. Interesting thought exercise. I'd like to hear some goon thoughts.
http://www.magicdrafting.com/savedpools/10384 I built this one as UW Artifacts. The payoff is just too high and you have some sweet tempo cards like Repeal and Vapor Snag, two Souleaters, three Affinity dudes etc. Blinkmoth Nexus, Myrsmith, you can take Fortify for reach. You can throw Cryptic in since with so many artifacts you can run 9-10 blue sources easy. I considered BW Spirits but despite two each of the best Spirit creatures there are no Otherworldly Journey and no spiritcraft dudes. The red cards have potential for the BR Suicide Aggro archetype but the Black support isn't there.
Trying to hit UUU off 9-10 sources is still pretty sketchy TBH. I'd say you'd want at least 12 to be able to cast it before the game's over, and more like 15 if you wanted to be able to hit it on-curve.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

JOKES ON ME FOR PLAYING MODO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also: commander.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Archenteron posted:

If you're playing on MODO, it's broken. If you're playing on paper, he's wrong. Gauntlet of Power, on the other hand, would still work (It triggers off the land tapping for mana, whereas the Sun triggers when the mana of the named color would be added, or something along those lines).

I don't know if Gauntlet of Power would work the same way or not. It's template is just as ill defined as Caged Sun's. Matt Tabak has mentioned that Gauntlet of Power doesn't really work either.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Jabor posted:

Trying to hit UUU off 9-10 sources is still pretty sketchy TBH. I'd say you'd want at least 12 to be able to cast it before the game's over, and more like 15 if you wanted to be able to hit it on-curve.

It's not really something you want to cast on curve, though. I haven't done the math on this because I've never played a CCC spell in a Limited format before. Fated Conflagration just doesn't make the cut. I suppose you could put in a Wayfarer's Bauble.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Snacksmaniac posted:

Also: commander.

I don't have friends, owned.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Archenteron posted:

Actually looks like the MonoU player was correct per rulings on Gatherer and is still able to generate U mana

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=5768

I guess it has to do with how replacement effect occur.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Actually looks like the MonoU player was correct per rulings on Gatherer and is still able to generate U mana

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=5768

I guess it has to do with how replacement effect occur.

Nope. Contamination replaces his lands ability to tap for anything but B. Caged Sun is a Trigger not a Replacement.

So he taps a land for 1 (can't produce B because color identity) then Caged Sun doesn't trigger because U was never added to his pool.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Notably, this part of the ruling:

quote:

Effects which generate more mana based on what type of mana the land produces will be affected in color but not in amount.

Caged Sun will still see the land generating 1 mana, but it will see the colour produced as being B rather than whatever the land originally made.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
In Commander it would see colorless mana because the rule works as a replacement effect.

Comp Rules 903.9 posted:

If mana would be added to a player’s mana pool of a color that isn’t in the color identity of that player’s commander, that amount of colorless mana is added to that player’s mana pool instead.

:spergin::spergin::spergin:

But yeah Caged Sun doesn't see U being made so it doesn't trigger.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

http://www.magicdrafting.com/savedpools/10385 I consciously tried to not force the archetype but UW Metalcraft is again too obvious and strong a pull. You have TWO Mirran Crusaders and some equipment for them to wear, plus two strong gold cards on color and your white is good in general with O-Ring, Arrest, the Journeys etc. You can board in the Leaks and/or Remand to make it very controlling too. I considered GW Tokens but I don't think it's as good.

http://www.magicdrafting.com/savedpools/10386 I like suicide black here with BR but the creature pool is not very deep. The few that there are are phenomenal in the archetype but the count is low unless you start including Dread Drones which do not really fit what the archetype is trying to do. There's plenty of removal at least. I considered UB Proliferate Control (which I think is a fair archetype) but didn't think that was deep enough either. Would love some input.

all of these pools are tilted like crazy.

The first one is just insane, yes you run the 5 rare UW artifact deck. The biggest decision there is the mana base and maybe like a 23rd card (hint: playing with metalcraft means mediocre artifacts are better than even good non-artifact cards).

The second one is, again, pretty tilted.

The third one is BR. You are wrong in assuming dread drone is bad, you windmill slam those in there. They're a 4 power creature in a deck that has 12 removal spells (before counting combust or the white 2x sunlance splash). If they were 4/1s with no other words they'd still be OK, the fact that they give you mana to kill a dude AND kick burst lightning next turn or whatever groovy-ness is fine. Your removal will make sure creatures you don't want trading with it are dead, and it's TOTALLY FINE to trade him for a random on their board, because you will still kill every other one of their guys and get there with a lacerator over 10 turns.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

all of these pools are tilted like crazy.

The first one is just insane, yes you run the 5 rare UW artifact deck. The biggest decision there is the mana base and maybe like a 23rd card (hint: playing with metalcraft means mediocre artifacts are better than even good non-artifact cards).

The second one is, again, pretty tilted.

The third one is BR. You are wrong in assuming dread drone is bad, you windmill slam those in there. They're a 4 power creature in a deck that has 12 removal spells (before counting combust or the white 2x sunlance splash). If they were 4/1s with no other words they'd still be OK, the fact that they give you mana to kill a dude AND kick burst lightning next turn or whatever groovy-ness is fine. Your removal will make sure creatures you don't want trading with it are dead, and it's TOTALLY FINE to trade him for a random on their board, because you will still kill every other one of their guys and get there with a lacerator over 10 turns.

I keep wanting to try BW spirits because I think both of those colors are crazy deep and the synergy is there but it just requires so many moving parts (spirits, arcane spells, spirit craft dudes). I think it'll work better as a draft deck where you can hit a critical mass of relevant creatures. Is there a draft sim available yet?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I haven't tried to generate a ton of drafts or sealed pools for MM15 yet but I'm pretty sure that black is just hot garbage. There's barely any playable creatures in black.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Drafted tokens on XMage, was super fun and really strong. Pick up tons of saproling/spawn makers, as many Scions as you see, and a couple of Algae Feeders. 1/1 shroud for 4 sounds bad until it's like an 11/11 from all your little shitters dying.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

qbert posted:

Last night's SSL was pretty entertaining. Wrapter ended up winning for the week, but he basically stumbled into the win after making like the worst play possible for 3 turns in a row. I think the highlight was when he -2 Narset, passed. Post-match interview was hilarious.

LSV said he'd likely use that turn (where Josh -2'd Narset then passed) as his example for the next "What's the play?" article, since the lines to decide between on that particularly turn were very nuanced and there was a lot to think about in support of each possibility.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Assuming I read the rules correctly. The keyword "priority" is new to me.
Priority is very important. If you pass priority like you are supposed to, things go better than waiting until something happens then going "no wait, I wanted to...". Also, although there are game actions that don't use the stack, like tapping mana, everything requires priority well, except for conceding.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
Some judgeburps for secrets week.

I'm just going to do the stories about which I feel like I have something interesting to contribute. I will burp for anyone else that requests it from that week.

Ironic Twist - Wake

Your words sparkle, though perhaps not quite as brightly as normal. This is still enough for your sentences to be the best of the week, and not by a small margin. I loved the way the light reflected off the ice tied the two main scenes together. Also it dealt with the sordid subject matter in a dispassionate but sensitive way, avoiding being overly sentimental.

I was a little confused by the ending. I do think that it had to be a very open ending to work, but I think you can do that while still making the blocking work a bit better. It was the stuff with the brother that left me a bit "what happened when here?"

Sadistech - Pyre

I mainly want to talk about the structure of this story. I liked the idea- I think a story divided into headings by this guy's code of ethics could be an extremely effective means of telling a story. I didn't like the execution at all- I think that the code speaks for itself a lot of the time, and that the words under the headings should have related more directly to actions of the main character. Your links don't have to be so literal for this to work.

I like that you took a risk here. Maybe GP's story from the previous week is an example of a story that uses a similar structure incredibly well. Your idea was more ambitious, but you didn't come close to pulling it off. (also just read that story because I think it is my second favourite TD story ever).

Paladinus - Circle of Lies

To be honest I think there would be a lot of weeks where this wouldn't lose, but that doesn't mean it isn't terrible. The plot was hard to understand, and then when I understood it I actually thought less of the story.

What I really hated about the story was the dialogue. It was really expected and sappy, which is a particularly bad crime when so much of the story is told this way. Here's an example: ‘Such behaviour won’t be tolerated, young man’, said Oscar in a stern voice, ‘Maybe it’s time for you to learn there’s no Father Christmas. You get presents from your parents and you should be grateful for whatever you get.’

I mean are there really people that talk like this? And if there are, are they the kind of people we want to read stories about? No- they're boring poo poo people.

Okay I will do some more of these but now I'm going to go read more.*

*good things, not TD

newtestleper fucked around with this message at 11:02 on May 14, 2015

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

newtestleper posted:

[/b]Some judgeburps for secrets week.[/b]

I'm just going to do the stories about which I feel like I have something interesting to contribute. I will burp for anyone else that requests it from that week.

Ironic Twist - Wake

Your words sparkle, though perhaps not quite as brightly as normal. This is still enough for your sentences to be the best of the week, and not by a small margin. I loved the way the light reflected off the ice tied the two main scenes together. Also it dealt with the sordid subject matter in a dispassionate but sensitive way, avoiding being overly sentimental.

I was a little confused by the ending. I do think that it had to be a very open ending to work, but I think you can do that while still making the blocking work a bit better. It was the stuff with the brother that left me a bit "what happened when here?"

Sadistech - Pyre

I mainly want to talk about the structure of this story. I liked the idea- I think a story divided into headings by this guy's code of ethics could be an extremely effective means of telling a story. I didn't like the execution at all- I think that the code speaks for itself a lot of the time, and that the words under the headings should have related more directly to actions of the main character. Your links don't have to be so literal for this to work.

I like that you took a risk here. Maybe GP's story from the previous week is an example of a story that uses a similar structure incredibly well. Your idea was more ambitious, but you didn't come close to pulling it off. (also just read that story because I think it is my second favourite TD story ever).

Paladinus - Circle of Lies

To be honest I think there would be a lot of weeks where this wouldn't lose, but that doesn't mean it isn't terrible. The plot was hard to understand, and then when I understood it I actually thought less of the story.

What I really hated about the story was the dialogue. It was really expected and sappy, which is a particularly bad crime when so much of the story is told this way. Here's an example: ‘Such behaviour won’t be tolerated, young man’, said Oscar in a stern voice, ‘Maybe it’s time for you to learn there’s no Father Christmas. You get presents from your parents and you should be grateful for whatever you get.’

I mean are there really people that talk like this? And if there are, are they the kind of people we want to read stories about? No- they're boring poo poo people.

Okay I will do some more of these but now I'm going to go read more.*

*good things, not TD

no stories about Sarkhan, voted 1

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
NOT AGAIN! NOT THIS TIME!

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
this is a psa that baleful strix is a cool good card

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
baleful strix + academy ruins = come at me broyf

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

black potus posted:

this is a psa that baleful strix is a cool good card

agreed

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

I haven't tried to generate a ton of drafts or sealed pools for MM15 yet but I'm pretty sure that black is just hot garbage. There's barely any playable creatures in black.

The 4/1 guy who makes Eldrazi Spawn is good if you have the good Sac outlets and can go spirits.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Someone explain the WB spirits deck in MM15 to me. Soulshift just seems like a horrible boring bad mechanic and I can't spot what the good high-priority cards of that archetype are supposed to be.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
all your guys have "when ~ dies, cast a free raise dead" ride that poo poo to valuetown

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

black potus posted:

all your guys have "when ~ dies, cast a free raise dead" ride that poo poo to valuetown

and there are changeling spells in the set, such as nameless inversion. Seems like great value when a creature dies get a creature back for free, or cast a kill spell for free.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Entropic posted:

Someone explain the WB spirits deck in MM15 to me. Soulshift just seems like a horrible boring bad mechanic and I can't spot what the good high-priority cards of that archetype are supposed to be.

Restless Apparition is the best non rare for the deck. If you have a good sac outlet, you can just keep bringing it back and sac'ing it over and over again.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

the cool thing about the spirits deck is no one else wants your best common creatures so you can probably wheel waxmane baku and such, it's going to work a lot like the rebels deck in mm1 imo where if you're the only one at the table in it you can clean up

e: also devouring greed is one of my favorite limited cards of all time and it's going to own dropping it after a spectral procession.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

There are going to be 3 or 4 people fighting for the Artifacts deck in every draft, right?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I guess also you can hope everyone is trying to draft artifacts and eldrazis and get 6 Thief of Hope.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

mcmagic posted:

There are going to be 3 or 4 people fighting for the Artifacts deck in every draft, right?

I just know I'm never passing Blinding Souleater unless there's a money card in the pack.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

the thing that is most disappointing to me about mm2 is i dont think the domain deck is very good this time when it was really good in mm1. half your common fixing is artifacts that everyone is going to fight you over. the karoos help with doing cool poo poo like a 5/5 skyreach manta but not with taking advantage of the cool stuff they gave the deck like common tribal flames

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Entropic posted:

I just know I'm never passing Blinding Souleater unless there's a money card in the pack.

Yeah, but that card is great in everything.

• Locked thread