Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.

computer parts posted:

Employment remains constant because you determine employment based on what's needed for the job, not how much it will cost.

Price of wages does actually effect employment but you're right in that you need some employment for any kind of economic venture, though to say that cost of wages doesn't matter isn't true.

VitalSigns posted:

Redistributing wealth to the poor creates economic demand because the poor tend to spend most of that money until they reach a basic subsistence level.

People arguing against the minimum wage have used both the arguments that the minimum wage will not increase economic demand (workers will not spend any of the additional money) and that the minimum wage will not increase savings rates (workers will not save any of the additional money either).

This seems to leave only one option: the poor burn all their money. I suppose there's another possibility: that there's no consistency to the anti-minimum-wage arguments in this thread and opponents are just seizing on whatever assumptions seem convenient at the moment.

Yes it's true if you give people money they will spend it. Though, this does not create value because the money is just shifted around in the economy, there is no over all benefit. I do doubt you were making that point but if you're going to argue about the moral necessity for higher minimum wages you shouldn't argue that it's good for the over all economy because you don't seem to have the tools to make that argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Shayu posted:

Price of wages does actually effect employment but you're right in that you need some employment for any kind of economic venture, though to say that cost of wages doesn't matter isn't true.

They matter at the point of "Do I want to buy a fancy machine to do this or pay laborers".

The (much more common) situation I'm talking about is that if you need 4 people to run your business and you have money for 5 people, you get 4 people. You don't get 5 even though you can afford it.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Shayu posted:

How would higher wages increase demand of employment, then?

Or are you saying that setting a floor on wages would increase consumption?

Either way it's flawed and I wonder how you'd come to such a conclusion.

Locally, higher wages means people will be more likely to buy goods and services, increasing incentives for businesses to provide those services and expand.

This is bad for a handful of rich people, because they've spent the last few decades creating a system where most people make JUST ENOUGH to continue buying their poo poo, but not enough to be economically mobile.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Shayu posted:

Yes it's true if you give people money they will spend it. Though, this does not create value because the money is just shifted around in the economy, there is no over all benefit.

This is laughably false. Do free vaccinations for poor people generate no overall benefit to society and create no value since we just shifted the money to pay for that around from somewhere else? What if we gave that money to the poor directly and they happened to use it to buy vaccinations, no benefit here?

Your "did we just shift the money from somewhere else" test does not tell us whether we created value or not.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Shayu posted:

Yes it's true if you give people money they will spend it. Though, this does not create value because the money is just shifted around in the economy, there is no over all benefit. I do doubt you were making that point but if you're going to argue about the moral necessity for higher minimum wages you shouldn't argue that it's good for the over all economy because you don't seem to have the tools to make that argument.

This is something that a robot programmed by libertarians might say. "What does it matter if 1000 people starve, their existence was of no value to anyone"

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Shayu posted:

http://www.economicshelp.org/blog/1948/economics/the-multiplier-effect/

This is Econ 110 level macroeconomics.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Shayu posted:

So, if people being able to spend more because they earn more doesn't create an economic benefit the inverse must be true as well, yes? People having less money and therefore spending less will not harm the economy. That is what you're saying.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I would think that if there is a great need for food, but because those who need it don't have money we let our capacity to grow more food sit idle and the able-bodied people who could be growing it sit idle as well with no income, then we're wasting a lot of productive potential in our economy.

What's weird about Libertarians is they seem to recognize that spending money can raise GDP by more than the amount spent, because if it weren't so. investments could never have positive returns. But because they're ideologically committed to "no money for the poor, and no government, ever" they insist that this is actually false and it's absurd to think that spending money could ever bring overall economic returns.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 06:19 on May 14, 2015

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Lotka Volterra posted:

So, if people being able to spend more because they earn more doesn't create an economic benefit the inverse must be true as well, yes? People having less money and therefore spending less will not harm the economy. That is what you're saying.

Wealth can never be created.

If you take all the money, wealth, and resources in the country and give them to one dude, this will have no net effect on the economy, production, or GDP because you just shifted wealth from one place to another.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

computer parts posted:

They matter at the point of "Do I want to buy a fancy machine to do this or pay laborers".

The (much more common) situation I'm talking about is that if you need 4 people to run your business and you have money for 5 people, you get 4 people. You don't get 5 even though you can afford it.

I get what you are saying here, but what about situations where employers are actually looking trying to take care of their employees by not borderline understaffing them?

I guess a good example is the hospital I work at. Administration is perfectly fine with giving us a 6:1 patient ratio even though a 5:1 ratio is much safer, less stressful, and less likely to see people quit. The floor manager knows whats up and is trying to keep us staffed so that we can have a 5:1 patient ratio.

Maybe I am misunderstanding you?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Does the staff you're talking about earn minimum wage?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

Does the staff you're talking about earn minimum wage?

Of course not, but I wasn't sure if there was a distinction or not.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I guess I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at.

It sounds like you're saying that even though it's technically possible to run the floor at a 6:1 ratio, your manager finds that the business operates more smoothly, with greater satisfaction, and can keep better employees when running at a 5:1 ratio, so even though the business could save money by dropping staff it's not worth the savings. And this despite the fact that your staff earns much more than minimum wage.

This seems to support the argument that businesses hire the number of people they need to do the job instead of trying to keep labor costs below an arbitrary amount, is that the point your story is intended to convey?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

It sounds like you're saying that even though it's technically possible to run the floor at a 6:1 ratio, your manager finds that the business operates more smoothly, with greater satisfaction, and can keep better employees when running at a 5:1 ratio, so even though the business could save money by dropping staff it's not worth the savings. And this despite the fact that your staff earns much more than minimum wage.

This seems to support the argument that businesses hire the number of people they need to do the job instead of trying to keep labor costs below an arbitrary amount, is that the point your story is intended to convey?

Yes, you nailed it perfectly. I have seen so many businesses just simply not take into account employee stress or just not give a poo poo that they are making 1 employee do the work of 2 because it is all about the bottom line and profit short term.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

A minimum wage is not an injection into the economy, it's actually taking money out of the economy, or in the best case, a transfer within the economy.

This is Econ 110 level microeconomics.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

Geriatric Pirate posted:

A minimum wage is not an injection into the economy, it's actually taking money out of the economy, or in the best case, a transfer within the economy.

This is Econ 110 level microeconomics.

haha what

its a transfer of wealth to people with a greater MPC because they need money not to die

what the gently caress are you talking about?

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

LorrdErnie posted:

haha what

its a transfer of wealth to people with a greater MPC because they need money not to die

what the gently caress are you talking about?

we already discussed how its actually a transfer thats slightly better than handing out money randomly to people on the street

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

Geriatric Pirate posted:

This is 110 level wizard macrobuttnomics.

I agree.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

Geriatric Pirate posted:

we already discussed how its actually a transfer thats slightly better than handing out money randomly to people on the street
I already explained how that's also bullshit but okay. Also I don't think it's likely that there's as even a share of people paying out minimum wage from the lower income groups.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

VitalSigns posted:

Wealth can never be created.

If you take all the money, wealth, and resources in the country and give them to one dude, this will have no net effect on the economy, production, or GDP because you just shifted wealth from one place to another.

Comforting to see that people still don't understand the relationship between demand and wealth.

Wealth in created in production (something marx correctly emphasized). If financial demand results in more production great. But it doesn't alwways work that way which we know because inflation exists.

Also, financial demand can literally be created out of thin air by the central bank anytime it wants.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

LorrdErnie posted:

I already explained how that's also bullshit but okay. Also I don't think it's likely that there's as even a share of people paying out minimum wage from the lower income groups.

Oh yeah, it was "bullshit" because apparently the upper middle class who benefit from the minimum wage almost as much as the poorest 20% are actually poor as well? Am I remembering this correctly?

Given how completely wrong your prior beliefs were about the recipients of minimum wage, I'm not sure how much confidence we should put in your estimates of the demographics of people paying minimum wage workers.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

What programs do you support to help the poor, GP? Basic income, or what.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

I'm baffled as to how you can read such a thing and come to that conclusion.

Not every higher decision is the result of achieving minimum staffing, many are based on the employer receiving X (greater efficiency, output, whatever) benefit for Y cost, if you make the cost go up that changes the calculus.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Oh yeah, it was "bullshit" because apparently the upper middle class who benefit from the minimum wage almost as much as the poorest 20% are actually poor as well? Am I remembering this correctly?

Given how completely wrong your prior beliefs were about the recipients of minimum wage, I'm not sure how much confidence we should put in your estimates of the demographics of people paying minimum wage workers.

Nope you're dense as usual. It's that not helping the upper middle class is not a good reason to not help the poor and that them getting part of it doesn't cancel out the greater help given to the poorer people. Additionally they're not financially secure but that's a secondary point.

And your statement that there were basically the same number of people receiving it in the top quintile as the bottom was absolutely absurdly wrong so really your judgement is way more suspect than mine. Also the idea that poor people employ fewer people than rich people isn't actually controversial.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Jarmak posted:

Not every higher decision is the result of achieving minimum staffing, many are based on the employer receiving X (greater efficiency, output, whatever) benefit for Y cost, if you make the cost go up that changes the calculus.

Yep, the "but employers hire the right number of people for a job argument" is terrible. The right number of people for a job depends on price.

Literally millions of jobs have been automated or moved overseas because of their cost.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

LorrdErnie posted:

Nope you're dense as usual. It's that not helping the upper middle class is not a good reason to not help the poor and that them getting part of it doesn't cancel out the greater help given to the poorer people. Additionally they're not financially secure but that's a secondary point.

And your statement that there were basically the same number of people receiving it in the top quintile as the bottom was absolutely absurdly wrong so really your judgement is way more suspect than mine. Also the idea that poor people employ fewer people than rich people isn't actually controversial.

Your "hurrr durrr MPC" argument falls apart when you realize that the MPC of minimum wage workers isn't that different from the MPC of the entire population because minimum wage workers are almost as likely to be upper middle class than the general population.

Not to mention the loss in purchasing power for all other people (includes: most poor people), which you're ignoring.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

LorrdErnie posted:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702304655104579163880944640994

quote:

Roughly half the minimum-wage workforce is employed at businesses with fewer than 100 employees, and 40% are at very small businesses with fewer than 50 employees.

The results are similar even if you follow the left's cue and broaden the analysis from minimum wage employees earning $7.25 an hour to "low-wage" employees earning $10 an hour or less: 46% still work for businesses with 100 or fewer employees.

Some of these businesses are small diners or independent grocery stores; others are franchisees that own a handful of stores affiliated with a recognizable brand. (For instance, over 80% of McDonald's locations are owned by franchisees.) In either case, the profits and executive pay at the country's largest businesses have nothing to do with the stark economics these small-business owners face: single-digit profit margins, extremely price-sensitive customers, and no room to absorb a substantial increase in the minimum wage without dramatically reducing the cost of service.

Even if the talking point was true, and large corporations were mostly responsible for the country's minimum wage workforce, organized labor's math still wouldn't make sense. Profit margins are determined more by the business model than the size. According to Deloitte's Restaurant Industry Operations Report, the median profit margin at an independently owned fast-food restaurant is 2.6%—and only about a percentage point more at a corporately-owned location. The corporate locations might have more of a cash reserve than their independent counterparts, but any labor cost increase is also magnified across a larger workforce.

My god, imagine the benefits when we transfer wealth from a group of people almost as good as random with a small bias towards wealthy people to a group of people almost as good as random with a small bias towards poor people! We've achieved the ultimate goal, a minor change in THE MARGINAL PROPENSITY TO CONSUME!

This is really going to deal with wealth inequality and poverty in America!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jarmak posted:

blackguy32 posted:

Yes, you nailed it perfectly.

:shrug:

Jarmak posted:

On the other hand, we know that the minimum wage doesn't cause unemployment.

asdf32 posted:

Literally millions of jobs have been automated or moved overseas because of their cost.

Cost of living alone makes it impossible for Americans to compete with those jobs, even if you abolished the minimum wage they wouldn't come back. If you're mad about this, blame neoliberal free trade policies, not the minimum wage which has been steadily falling during the decades of outsourcing.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

asdf32 posted:

Sorry but this is the 3rd or 4th time somone has suggested that the purpose of minimum wage is so workers can save for an upcoming robot apocalypse and subsequent permanent unemployment. This is one of the weirdiest and saddest arguments I've seen. For multiple reasons. Among them: people don't save money. Even the middle class, something actually trumpeted by supporters because it produces demand.

Perhaps it is so weird because that isn't what I said at all. You must be having some real strong robot apocalypse fantasies if your fevered brain removed my actual words and replaced it with that. I suppose it is what I get by lending any credit whatsoever to your automation argument, so I guess you have taught me a valuable lesson after all.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

asdf32 posted:

quote:

Yet here we are with low unemployment and a growing economy so perhaps the answer in the face of automation is not to push wages (remember, these were middle class blue collar jobs) as low as possible out of fear.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

blackguy32 posted:

I get what you are saying here, but what about situations where employers are actually looking trying to take care of their employees by not borderline understaffing them?

I guess a good example is the hospital I work at. Administration is perfectly fine with giving us a 6:1 patient ratio even though a 5:1 ratio is much safer, less stressful, and less likely to see people quit. The floor manager knows whats up and is trying to keep us staffed so that we can have a 5:1 patient ratio.

Maybe I am misunderstanding you?

There's different definitions of need but certainly you can have a safety factor built into your required numbers (i.e., hiring 105 people instead of 100 just in case someone gets sick).

The point I was making is that businesses don't hire more people than they deem necessary. In your case, having more people to reduce stress is necessary.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
What determines how many workers are necessary?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Series DD Funding posted:

In the case of many businesses currently (see: Walmart) as few as possible. Which means a wage increase is unlikely to change how many people are employed since they're operating with as few employees as possible already.

For others, like the hospital example, enough to make sure their workers aren't exhausted and don't make mistakes that could result in legal liability.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Shayu posted:

Though, this does not create value because the money is just shifted around in the economy, there is no over all benefit.

What do you think GDP is a measure of?

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Lotka Volterra posted:

In the case of many businesses currently (see: Walmart) as few as possible. Which means a wage increase is unlikely to change how many people are employed since they're operating with as few employees as possible already.

Why as few as possible? Has Walmart reached a limit where they would lose money with additional employees?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Why as few as possible? Has Walmart reached a limit where they would lose money with additional employees?

To pare down labor costs as much as possible to increase profits? Understaffing at Walmarts has been a big thing in recent years.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

General but but not a concrete order:

quote:

1. Figure out your industry (usually the easiest part)

2. Determine the size of your operation (Are you a small business or a large company?)

3. What machines are you using? How many people per machine are needed in order to operate?

(This can be machines like a cash register or a fork lift or it can be like a washing machine that's mostly automatic but still needs to be loaded & unloaded)

4. Are there other things your business needs to do that your machines can't do?

(For example, most stores don't have machines that can automatically load products onto store shelves, so you need people to do it)

5. How long will you be operating? A 24 hour operation will require more people than an 8 hour operation.

6. Are there specific safety regulations you need or want to implement?

An example of a need: OSHA requires that people not spend more than 4 hours in a (numbers may be wrong) 100 decibel environment. You'll need to switch off more people or add ear protection if you have that environment.

An example of a want: You have a 12 hour operation. Because people get worn out after 7 or 8 hours, you bring in an afternoon shift so your production rate remains high. This isn't required (you can do overtime) but is cheaper in the long run.

The only point where you really care about labor costs is Step 3. It's also not a simple "will this cost more than that after 5 years" calculation because machines require a large amount of money up front while people are cheap pretty much at all times (discounting injuries, etc).

asdf32
May 15, 2010

computer parts posted:

There's different definitions of need but certainly you can have a safety factor built into your required numbers (i.e., hiring 105 people instead of 100 just in case someone gets sick).

The point I was making is that businesses don't hire more people than they deem necessary. In your case, having more people to reduce stress is necessary.

There is no definition for necessary in the majority of cases. There is just a number which is most profitable. In this example there is a cost/benefit to reducing stress which is certainly impacted by wage. In other examples local workers are compared against capital or foreign workers.

Wal-mart could never have lines at the registers if it didn't want to, but chooses to allow lines (customer dissatisfaction) sometimes to save on wages. That tradeoffs can change too. Or more of the backend work could be automated. Etc etc.

VideoTapir posted:

What do you think GDP is a measure of?

Production.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

computer parts posted:

Think of your own life. Are there things you pay other people to do for you? Would you find other ways to meet some of those needs if the price demanded of you got high enough? It's like that. Necessity is always assessed in the context of the cost involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

computer parts posted:

General but but not a concrete order:

The only point where you really care about labor costs is Step 3. It's also not a simple "will this cost more than that after 5 years" calculation because machines require a large amount of money up front while people are cheap pretty much at all times (discounting injuries, etc).

This is the most justfinishedmyintrotobusinesscourse.txt post.

• Locked thread