Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

BrianWilly posted:

And how the hell did Oliver end up beating Ra's this time, especially after Ra's had already beaten him again? Gumption?

By using the exact same move Ras did to kill Oliver. Oliver Queen is secretly Taskmaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Man, gently caress this show. I think I'm out on season 4. I doubt it's going to improve any. But how it went from the best goddamn thing on TV to that tripe is a crazy steep decline.

Stupid thoughts that are too long for anyone to read:
  • In that opening flashback fight scene, they kept cutting ON the hit. You can work out some of the good choreography but your mind has to connect the dots between shots and it's very unsatisfying. They've been doing that more frequently latey, and I think The Flash even did it when Ollie fought Reverse Flash. They also limply cut away from Ra's jumping out the plane because I guess they couldn't have built that set on a platform. (Also sure was nice of those soldiers to not shoot the man beating their commander and instead cross into Maseo's line of sight so he could shoot them.)
  • When Ollie started his patented bow-and-arrow-torture, I totally thought he shot Evil Military Commander in the dick.
  • LEAGUE HENCH FIGHTING NYSSA ON PLANE: I guess I'll just stand here and twirl my sword a bit while she fights the other guys.
  • And Ollie can go toe-to-toe with Ra's now. Sure. The guy with near a century of experience who far outclassed anyone Arrow has ever fought in his eight years of fighting people non-stop - that guy didn't see his own move coming. (Assuming he actually died and didn't just get some herbs real quick like Ollie did.)
  • Diggle got a fight scene where he didn't just shoot guys or get knocked out! They of course, had to undo that by having him get clocked by Briefcase Guy and needing to be saved by a teenage girl.
  • On that note, Thea seemed to be taking lessons from American police officers. *shoots you three times* "Don't move!"
  • Wow, Lance sure found that character arc out of nowhere.
  • literally stopped listening and just tuned right out when Felicity was talking to Oliver (but she did look adorable in the Atom suit)
  • That dam was the set of a The Flash episode, right? They're running out of Canada!
  • Oh good, Oliver learned the value of teamwork...aaaaaaaaaaaaaagain.
  • The loving BALLS this show had at the end of season 1 and season 3 ends with Ollie driving into the sunset with his love interest? Goddamn.

Natalya Fartz posted:

So why didn't Ras give all the regular ninjas bullet proof armor.
Ah, the writers have to be kicking themselves and wondering why they didn't just have Tatsu heal Oliver's gunshot wounds with some herbs.

Man, the exposition was some children's show poo poo this episode. Thea's ADR'd "Malcolm gave me the vaccine off screen!" and Nyssa's "good thing you had our super special bulletproof armour (leather?!) that never got mentioned or used until now."

Jerusalem posted:

I'm still inordinately pissed off that Malcolm continues to bewilderingly get given free passes by all the characters for zero reason
Yeah, this was real loving stupid the entire season. I forgot Barrowman even killed Sarah after Ollie spent half a season defending him for no reason and half a season working with him to undo what he had caused by defending a monster.

This is great. And could apply to the entire season.

GateheaD
Sep 27, 2005

Gatorade me bitch

Oroborus posted:

So since Caity lotz's character is dead, is Ray dead now too? Is Legends of Tomorrow about heroes who died to quickly and them fighting in between words or something?

it turns out legends is just the actors of the characters sitting in an arm chair reading cool stories about that their character could have done if they werent dead/ their sister didnt steal their outfit

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
The best part of this episode was that it means this season is finally over. :v:

This whole season just felt like a constant train wreck of things that didn't even make sense.

Oh, they did a good job of blowing up the best part of this season (Ray) at the end as well.

Of course Ray isn't dead.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Oh my god. Not only did Merlyn survive, in spite of everyone thinking/hoping he would die, but he also managed to get his way into becoming Ra's.

Absolutely amazing.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Well, that sucked. And it sucked a lot more than I expected. Generally when tv shows start getting bad, they at least have the courtesy to do it kinda slow. I guess it's kind of true to form that Arrow dove off the loving deep end in one season when in most other shows it would've taken two or three. Good job guys. :downsbravo:

And people wonder why I keep making GBS threads on the idea of the spin-off.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah the last one they did went so badly.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I think my favorite character is the random league nobody with the deep voice who has had like one line in each of the last few episodes.

"Ras insists that we return this man to his cell"

stuff like that. I'm pretty sure it has been the same guy.

Tree Dude fucked around with this message at 14:06 on May 14, 2015

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
i was kind of disappointed with the Ray scene but I guess I was expecting too much, I thought it was a pretty good finale though

Remember we saw the set photos before that showed the scene at the end in the flashbacks, at the docks, that had the boat with the Russian writing on it? I thought for sure we were getting the Russia flashbacks, I wonder why he got on the boat to Coast City

Valeyard fucked around with this message at 14:10 on May 14, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Valeyard posted:

i was kind of disappointed with the Ray scene but I guess I was expecting too much, I thought it was a pretty good finale though

It would have been nice to at least see the suit start to shrink before the boom.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I hope the first episode of next season is just Ray having misadventures while tiny with nothing else going on.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah the last one they did went so badly.

See, it's not the spin-off that I'm worried about exactly. It's the shows left behind. It's Ryan Murphy Syndrome: when the creator(s) of a show cannot commit to one project or idea longer than a year or two, so they continually make shows that are good for a couple of seasons before swan-diving off the crazy cliff as they move onto their next bullshit project.

If the next season of Flash is as bad as this season of Arrow, my inner child will die in a blue fiery lab explosion. I will stop believing in heroes. :qq:

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

VagueRant posted:

it went from the best goddamn thing on TV

lmao

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

VagueRant posted:

And Ollie can go toe-to-toe with Ra's now. Sure. The guy with near a century of experience who far outclassed anyone Arrow has ever fought in his eight years of fighting people non-stop - that guy didn't see his own move coming. (Assuming he actually died and didn't just get some herbs real quick like Ollie did.)

Ras is the new Arrow. Prophecy says only the man who survives the Arrow can become him and save his city!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Spergatory posted:

See, it's not the spin-off that I'm worried about exactly. It's the shows left behind. It's Ryan Murphy Syndrome: when the creator(s) of a show cannot commit to one project or idea longer than a year or two, so they continually make shows that are good for a couple of seasons before swan-diving off the crazy cliff as they move onto their next bullshit project.

If the next season of Flash is as bad as this season of Arrow, my inner child will die in a blue fiery lab explosion. I will stop believing in heroes. :qq:

Nobody actually left Arrow for the Flash.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

I thought that it got some of Arrow's writers?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Ryan Murphy doesn't actually leave his shows. He just stops giving a poo poo about them.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
It was a decent finale. It wrapped up all the plotlines for the season, so hopefully they can do something else next season. Someone failed a city even!

I figured Ra's' plan on the dam went something like:
1) Be infected with A/O virus.
2) Fight Ollie.
3) Get stabbed a couple of times.
4) Fall in the water, die.
5) gently caress you Ollie, you'r Ra's now!
6) gently caress you Starling, I've infected your water supply!

Instead it was just kill Ollie, find new heir OR Ollie wins, and is "stuck" as Ra's.

OB_Juan fucked around with this message at 15:10 on May 14, 2015

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It turns out Ollie accidentaly inoculated the whole city after he took a piss in a water reservoir

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Nameless Pete posted:

Not to bash him, but Diggle just isn't smart enough to be Mister Terrific. Given his role as the team's resident gunhaver he'd be more suited to Vigilante or Crimson Avenger.

it's the wrong city, but they could make it work

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Diggle's not smart enough to be Michael Holt Mr. Terrific, but he could be a Mr. Terrific. The original was just an Olympic athlete and businessman.

But of course he shouldn't be Mr. Terrific. I just want to see that costume on screen and it's never gonna happen. drat, they should have used Michael Holt instead of Ray Palmer actually. It would have been much more appropriate.

He already even has the drat backstory of having lost his wife.

greatn fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 14, 2015

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

greatn posted:

Diggle's not smart enough to be Michael Holt Mr. Terrific, but he could be a Mr. Terrific. The original was just an Olympic athlete and businessman.

But of course he shouldn't be Mr. Terrific. I just want to see that costume on screen and it's never gonna happen. drat, they should have used Michael Holt instead of Ray Palmer actually. It would have been much more appropriate.

He already even has the drat backstory of having lost his wife.

They'd already cast Routh I think and there'd be a lot of backlash if a white person was playing Holt

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

VagueRant posted:

[*]LEAGUE HENCH FIGHTING NYSSA ON PLANE: I guess I'll just stand here and twirl my sword a bit while she fights the other guys.
I loved that. A good fight scene happening entirely in the background.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
The fight scenes have been getting noticeably poorer as time has gone on, haven't they? Seemed like it to me, at least.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

edit: wait hold how how is Barrow the new Ras now? He didn't have to kill his whole city. Merlyn stop cheating the ascension rules. :argh:

Personally I think it was a long con from the get-go, the Undertaking was always meant to be part of his initiation to be the next Ra's. Barrow destroyed the Glades, which was special to him because it was his wife's cause and where her clinic was and where she died, he killed 500 people in a place his wife cared about (probably as many as the average league members' village population when the rules were written), including his own son, and so cut ties with his old life, and survived torture at Ra's sword, and he manipulated Oliver into killing Ra's, just like he manipulated Thea into killing Sara (which he may have done as a test of whether or not he could actually use Oliver to do the dirty-work or not, when Nyssa didn't get mad at and kill Thea, Malcolm knew he could go ahead with his use Oliver plan). He does fit the prophecy and the requirements through a quibbling read of the requirements.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Sorry he did that before trying to claim the title. Doesn't count. Also he didn't kill nearly enough people to qualify. :colbert:

But he was already The Magician at that point, already part of the League, why wouldn't that be his goal with the Undertaking in the first place? And League rules say "destroy your village", not "your city"

Wikipedia posted:

A village is a clustered human settlement or community, larger than a hamlet but smaller than a town, with a population ranging from a few hundred to a few thousand. Though often located in rural areas, the term urban village is also applied to certain urban neighbourhoods.

Personally, I am disappointed that Nyssa and Oliver weren't in on a long plot bringing Sara back from the dead, especially after finding out she's listed as a cast member on the other show. Maybe Deadman figures in somehow, since Nanda Parbat was originally had nothing to do with the League and was far more mystical (Time flows differently there, etc -which I thought Merlyn alluded to when he first mentioned it).

Crowsbeak posted:

I really liked Felicity saving Oliver, it felt nice to see her as fully part of the action in some way.

I'm going to be the only person who says it I guess, I thought it was stupid as gently caress, and she looked really dumb in that mask, and I was expecting the suit to be remote-piloted by her, since it has been established in the dead-bolt episode that it can be.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It can be remote controlled but since it's an exoskeleton and not a solid piece of Iron Man armor it needs a body in it to stay together.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

My Q-Face posted:

Personally I think it was a long con from the get-go, the Undertaking was always meant to be part of his initiation to be the next Ra's. Barrow destroyed the Glades, which was special to him because it was his wife's cause and where her clinic was and where she died, he killed 500 people in a place his wife cared about (probably as many as the average league members' village population when the rules were written), including his own son, and so cut ties with his old life, and survived torture at Ra's sword, and he manipulated Oliver into killing Ra's, just like he manipulated Thea into killing Sara (which he may have done as a test of whether or not he could actually use Oliver to do the dirty-work or not, when Nyssa didn't get mad at and kill Thea, Malcolm knew he could go ahead with his use Oliver plan). He does fit the prophecy and the requirements through a quibbling read of the requirements.

But he was already The Magician at that point, already part of the League, why wouldn't that be his goal with the Undertaking in the first place? And League rules say "destroy your village", not "your city"

Personally, I am disappointed that Nyssa and Oliver weren't in on a long plot bringing Sara back from the dead, especially after finding out she's listed as a cast member on the other show. Maybe Deadman figures in somehow, since Nanda Parbat was originally had nothing to do with the League and was far more mystical (Time flows differently there, etc -which I thought Merlyn alluded to when he first mentioned it).

I'm going to be the only person who says it I guess, I thought it was stupid as gently caress, and she looked really dumb in that mask, and I was expecting the suit to be remote-piloted by her, since it has been established in the dead-bolt episode that it can be.

I don't think Ra's is the kind of guy that would listen to someone trying to tell him Oxford's definition of a village in an attempt to save their city

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

It has the servos and machinery to operate itself, since Ollie was doing the fighting and it was mimicking his moves and Ray was just along for the ride. It doesn't need "a body", that Mannequin would have been sufficient.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

My Q-Face posted:

It has the servos and machinery to operate itself, since Ollie was doing the fighting and it was mimicking his moves and Ray was just along for the ride. It doesn't need "a body", that Mannequin would have been sufficient.

Are you saying that a mannequin in the suit would look LESS stupid than Felicity in it?

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

^^^^ Yes. They could have cut to Felicity with the controls looking at her screen at Oliver talking into the camera-visor or whatever.

Valeyard posted:

I don't think Ra's is the kind of guy that would listen to someone trying to tell him Oxford's definition of a village in an attempt to save their city

I don't think Ra's ever meant "wipe out a city with a population of millions" in the first place, it was just "destroy all ties". And unless Hong Kong ended up completely population-free, which would be a really big f-ing deal that was never once mentioned before this season's flashbacks, Ra's plan for the virus wouldn't have destroyed Starling either.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I'm starting to think these shows would fare better if they were truncated to like 13 episodes or something. My ideal version of that concept would be to have them run consecutively, not concurrently, year round. When Arrow ends, a short break then Flash. Then Legends or whatever. The 22 episode format is making these shows feel super thin to me. I suspect their creative staff is spread pretty thin having three shows running simultaneously.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
https://vimeo.com/127842103

:flashfap: :flashfap: :flashfap:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
How do you think Ollie will deal with all the fish oil pills with the terrigen mist in them that was released in the Shield finale? Should be even more metahumans than after the particle accelerator. I'm also wondering if maybe this will tie into the DCTV origins of Aquaman.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Valeyard posted:

Are you saying that a mannequin in the suit would look LESS stupid than Felicity in it?

Put a headshot of Ray in the suit.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Felicity in the Atom suit:

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Merlyn showed off his true super power to defeat Ras - hostile corporate takeover.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Ray survives! :flashfap:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jerusalem posted:

I don't know if it was because I got to binge-watch Seasons 1 and 2 and watched this season as it aired, but I found it a really frustrating affair and I'm still inordinately pissed off that Malcolm continues to bewilderingly get given free passes by all the characters for zero reason (though I love Barrowman) and he ends this season getting everything he ever wanted after murdering 500 people in cold blood, psychologically torturing Ollie and Thea's mother for decades, and brainwashing Thea into murdering Sarah. I kept waiting for Ollie to say,"And now that I've accomplished everything I wanted to do..... your usefulness is over" and slap Merlyn in handcuffs and drop him off with Captain Lance to actually face up to his crimes (and if he escapes, at least he's out on his own terms and not getting passes from the main cast for zero reason).

The seasons are too long (Gotham, Flash and Agents of SHIELD all suffer the same problem, they feel like 2-3 seasons cramped into one, 20+ episodes per season is just silly) and I think I'm just gonna wait till the end of season 4 and just watch it all over the course of a week or so like I did for season 1 & 2 - at least that way I don't have to deal with the stretched-out pacing.

It's not you, this entire season has been directionless and all the reveals were really weak. Season 1 and 2 were great on a week-to-week basis.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

:tviv:
Why do I have to wait until 2016 for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Shrinking still the dumbest power

• Locked thread