Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

Doctor Cave posted:

I'm not picking on Ben Folds. I don't mind that album, I just didn't feel like I needed to own it, and I was surprised it's so valuable now.

When I started collecting records Reinhold Messner was one of my first white whales; I could never find a copy for sale on eBay or even Gemm (lol). I forget how much I ended up spending on my copy but it definitely felt like a lot. Of course I love that album to absolute death so it was totally worth it. I would guess that the high price comes from a combination of both the time it was released (indie pop records from the late '90s weren't pressed as much) and its relative unpopularity with fans upon release (all my friends who liked Ben Folds Five at the time totally ignored this record when it came out; I don't think I even heard it until I went across the country to college later that year).

Has anyone ever used Shyp? It's basically Wash.io for mailing poo poo - you summon them to you via an app, give them the thing you're looking to ship and the address you're looking to have it shipped to, and then they go pack it up and get it mailed out for you. I am very intrigued by this because my record shelves are basically full and I'd love to offload some stuff I don't listen to anymore, but (a) my place is messy enough already without having to keep a fuckton of packing materials on-hand and (b) since I don't drive having someone else handle all that poo poo sounds frighteningly convenient. Their site doesn't say anything specific about shipping records, but I emailed their customer support to ask and was told this:

quote:

When it comes to packaging at Shyp, we construct custom-sized boxes and Shyp technicians secure even the most fragile of items with industry standard materials, including void-fill, air cushion, bubble wrap, paper, and foam. There are no instructions with records specifically, but if it is a fragile item, we do have packaging standards for those. If you have a particular way in which you would like the records packaged, we can of course accommodate for that. Rest assured the protocol with fragile items are always handled delicately. As a note, always let the Shyp Hero know that your items are fragile and should be handled with care, so that all parties are looped in.

This basically sounds like Amazon's record-shipping policy minus those cardboard tear-open sleeves, but it sounds like they do have at least some ability to pack stuff securely. I would really like to hear from someone who's used this to ship records before jumping into the deep end of the pool, though. (Although if this works, Discogs should call them 24/7 to arrange some sort of partnership - can you imagine how many more sales would go through their servers if people could sell records that easily and without having to worry about shipping?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
It's very intriguing from a simplicity standpoint, but having someone come and pick up your record(s) and then constructing a custom box for it sounds prohibitively expensive. I don't think paying that much of a premium would ever be worth paying just to save the space that having a stack of record mailers (and whatever other packing materials you would personally use) would take up sitting around in your apartment somewhere.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
MMMMMM-M-M-MEGA POST w/ large images

Had a couple records show up over the last week or so from abroad, and threw in some interesting ones I have.

Top Left: Miners' Hymns - Jóhann Jóhannsson (sample: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUk4kKWcmGs)

Top Right: Solaris OST - Cliff Martinez (there are two versions of the reissue from last year, I mistakenly bought the wrong one which is this one and immediately ordered the one I wanted because I'm a bit lame-o. Full album with the cover I wanted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ubB_CK9J6I)

Bottom Left: Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music Vol 1 - Ray Charles

Bottom Right: Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music Vol 2 - Ray Charles

If you don't have a copy of the two Modern Sounds I highly, highly recommend. Cheap AF and great listening though the quality of the records I own are pretty rough.

Back of Miners' Hymns because gently caress yeah for great reading on records:

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

Left: Weed "A Rare Batch" - Various (loving awesome early 19th century jazz about smoking reefer. Sample: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6KHtZN0lTQ)
Right: Jazz Pa Svenska - Jan Johansson (not to be confused with Jóhann Jóhannsson in previous post... a 1960s-era minimalist piano jazz classic. Reinterpretations of Swedish folk songs. LP is original 1964 Swedish release. Sample: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2D5HlKLh34)

And two interesting backs, first crazy rear end Swedish from Jazz Pa Svenska which I cannot read--second the amazing tribute on the back of Weed "A Rare Batch" and song descriptions.

c0ldfuse fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 14, 2015

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

Also triple post but just listed a bunch of "rare" records on Amazon for $250+. If someone buys, great! If not--doesn't cost me anything.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
This VNYL thing is seriously hilarious:

http://www.stereogum.com/1801049/vnyl-sliding-why-the-netflix-for-vinyl-service-is-such-a-mess/franchises/essay/

quote:

Even customers who were highly satisfied displayed evidence of hauls that seemed to fall short of what had been promised. Subscriber Alex LaBarba tweeted enthusiastically at VNYL, saying he was “DIGGING the first batch of wax” sent to him by the service. But with that tweet he included a picture of that wax, as well as the note included explaining why these particular records had been chosen for him. The note was signed by a VNYL staffer who identified himself as Sid, and in it, Sid wrote:

Took a peek at your links, saw a ton of artists I love as well, like Spiritualized, Beach House, and LCD Soundsystem, along with plenty of others! Hope you dig these great records by Lionel Richie, Michael Quatro, and a sweet ’70s hits compilation while you spend time with someone special.
The “sweet ’70s compilation” isn’t visible in the photograph shared by LaBarba, but the Lionel Richie record is his 1982 self-titled solo debut, and the Michael Quatro record is his 1976 LP, Dancers, Romantics, Dreamers & Schemers. Both appear to be used copies with worn sleeves. (Alt admits that the majority of VNYL’s current inventory consists of used goods: “It’s a mix of pre-owned and new, and at the moment skews toward vintage,” he tells us. “Over time, it will shift to new.”) It’s not at all clear why these records were hand-curated for someone whose favorite artists include Spiritualized, Beach House, and LCD Soundsystem.

http://blurtonline.com/feature/love-will-find-a-way-the-vnyl-subscription-service-blows-it-pt-1/

quote:

Allow me to detail what I just tugged from my pink-interior VNYL box (displayed at the top and below), which also included a nice note from my personal hand-curator, Teal, who had affixed a photo of her smiling for the camera and clutching my records: “Hey Fred, Hope you like the records I chose for you. Love this Pablo Cruise album. Enjoy! – Teal”

Pablo Cruise – Worlds Away (1978, A&M); hashtag #work, $12 value)

Toto – Hydra (1974, Columbia) ditto

Leon & Mary Russell – Make Love to the Music (1977, Paradise) ditto

Did you get that? Toto, Leon/Mary Russell, and Pablo loving Cruise. Gee, thanks, Teal.

If there is a single record store owner out there reading this right now who has any of the above listed albums in stock and they are NOT in the 99-cent bins, please tell me. Recall that I myself work in a record store, and I have worked in record stores on and off for, cumulatively speaking, nearly 20 years, for extended stints during the ‘70s, the ‘90s and, of course, the past three years during the contemporary vinyl explosion. So I know a little about vinyl. But—Lefsetz mode on here—VNYL values them at $12 apiece, at least that’s what a sticker on each plastic sleeve indicates. Jesus. There’s not a person on the planet who would pay that much for ‘em. They are titles we can barely give away at our store, sitting there in the junk bins alongside the Dan Fogelberg, Loggins & Messina, Poco, George Benson and Eddie Money albums. For $12, we have Dylan, Stones, Neil Young, Reprise-era Kinks, DEVO and the stray early Elvis Costello albums.

You can sift through Twitter and find some more classic "hand curated" parcels. They're all comically bad.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've seen similar hand picked retro video game stuff, and people (happily, I might add) pay $30 for 3 games I put a value of around $2-3 on each. They're mainly younger people with disposable income, or people that got into gaming later so a copy of Castle of Illusion on Genesis to them is 'oh cool! I never played this' rather than 'haha holy gently caress, they charged me $10 for this? They probably have a warehouse full of them.'

Anyone with sense knows to stay away, but it's a good way of making money if you want to be the person in charge. And you'll have a lot of happy customers, simply because they don't know better. I wonder how many copies of Dark Side of the Moon VNYL have sent out...

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
They're unloading worthless greatest hits comps and Jimmy Buffett LPs on people.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
lol $24 a month for three records from a charity shop :bravo:

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
yall pots need to stop hurting the kettle's feelings

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Banano posted:

lol $24 a month for three records from a charity shop :bravo:

lol that's half the posts in this thread

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
Sounds like a cool plan. Buy the leftover stock (that's been well picked over) from a closed down record store then use the lucky dip method to sell it. It's the #vibe!

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
They're not even selling it you're paying $20 a month to rent dollar bin trash

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Banano posted:

They're not even selling it you're paying $20 a month to rent dollar bin trash

That was the original plan, but that's illegal so they switched the whole model to just a standard mystery box that you get to keep.

They REALLY messed up that kickstarter. Go look at the rewards: There's several tiers of early bird rewards which meant most people were only paying $10/mo or even as low as $6.50/mo. That's sustainable if they would have stuck to their original idea of making people return the records, but not if they "let" people keep them. Of course they can only afford to give out dollar bin records when they account for the shipping costs and overhead. And then they didn't tell anybody until they started getting them. :lol:

My guess is they aren't making any money on this. It's just a horribly mismanaged business, like every other Kickstarter.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I've seen similar hand picked retro video game stuff, and people (happily, I might add) pay $30 for 3 games I put a value of around $2-3 on each. They're mainly younger people with disposable income, or people that got into gaming later so a copy of Castle of Illusion on Genesis to them is 'oh cool! I never played this' rather than 'haha holy gently caress, they charged me $10 for this?
But Castle of Illusion seems to sell easily for $12-$20. :confused: Obviously mystery boxes will never be worth it (otherwise they wouldn't exist), but you're exaggerating a bit there.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 14, 2015

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ha maybe the price went up on it. I haven't cared about retro games for years and years now, I just remember I'd sling those carts into the same pile I'd throw NHL and FIFA carts.It was just one of those games that every console you'd pick up would have a copy with it.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

wa27 posted:

My guess is they aren't making any money on this. It's just a horribly mismanaged business, like every other Kickstarter.

I think they'll make plenty. They got $36k from 777 backers. It's pretty obviously just a bunch of dollar store drek that they likely bought in bulk. Some of the levels had more albums than others and I'm not interested in doing any back of the napkin math but even if they had to send out like 10k records for those 777 backers (no way they have to send out that many) they probably didn't spend more than like $5k for the product. Based on what people are posting they sure as poo poo didn't spent any amount of time "curating" anything at all, so their labor costs are basically just buying a bunch of Dad rock and haphazardly shipping it out.

I think they realized that once they weren't able to use a subscription model and they owed a lot of people a lot of records, they'd just try and make a quick buck and call it a day.

fac53
Oct 22, 2002
At last! A dead star!

I don't understand the appeal of services like VNYL or Vinyl Me Please. Isn't shopping for your own records the fun part?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
If anyone gets any Dan Fogelburg records from VNYL I'll buy them off of you. Seals and Crofts too. PM me.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

fac53 posted:

I don't understand the appeal of services like VNYL or Vinyl Me Please. Isn't shopping for your own records the fun part?

I almost like paging through the records at local stores than listening to them.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

BigFactory posted:

If anyone gets any Dan Fogelburg records from VNYL I'll buy them off of you. Seals and Crofts too. PM me.

Why not just go work for them. I'm sure many of you would blossom in their 'assistant curator' position: http://www.simplyhired.com/job/assistant-curator-for-vnyl-job/vnyl/qyz4cpomnq

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

JehovahsWetness posted:

Why not just go work for them. I'm sure many of you would blossom in their 'assistant curator' position: http://www.simplyhired.com/job/assistant-curator-for-vnyl-job/vnyl/qyz4cpomnq

I'm retired but thanks.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
$12/hr to grab three records off the top of the stack and stick em in a mailer, not too shabby.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Sooooo I really don't like Mondo's practices in general but the Mad Max soundtrack was so loving great that I want to buy a regular rear end copy at whatever price they sell it at. Am I going to have to stay up for 24 hours trying to figure out when they go on sale due to my crazy timezone?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Is it one of their weirder limited ones? If not you can find it at any record store who carries them fairly easily. They have a bunch of copies of Looper, Drive, Halloween, etc. at Waterloo in Austin.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

fac53 posted:

i subscribed to vinyl me please a while back and it's been nice to get a pretty well thought out package and good lp in the mail for 25 a month. the artwork they send with it has been really worth it (particularly j dilla's donuts one and torres' one) and last month getting menomea's "friend or foe" which hasn't been repressed at all in a super fancy package was pretty cool. it's a six-pannel-gatefold with some weird pinwheel thing in it. might not be everybody's bag but i can burn 25 a month to get some new poo poo. wouldn't have discovered torres without it probably.

Hot Diggity! fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 15, 2015

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

TubeStank posted:

i subscribed to vinyl me please a while back and it's been nice to get a pretty well thought out package and good lp in the mail for 25 a month. the artwork they send with it has been really worth it (particularly j dilla's donuts one and torres' one) and last month getting menomea's "friend or foe" which hasn't been repressed at all in a super fancy package was pretty cool. it's a six-pannel-gatefold with some weird pinwheel thing in it. might not be everybody's bag but i can burn 25 a month to get some new poo poo. wouldn't have discovered torres without it probably.

With the art by Craig Thompson? Yeah that's a nice cover, and if you like the artwork then I'd recommend reading "Blankets" by him. Edit: though that's a biography, and drawn like one. "Goodbye Chunky Rice" is actually in the same style as the Memomena cover.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

shmee posted:

With the art by Craig Thompson? Yeah that's a nice cover, and if you like the artwork then I'd recommend reading "Blankets" by him. Edit: though that's a biography, and drawn like one. "Goodbye Chunky Rice" is actually in the same style as the Memomena cover.

thanks! i'll look into it for sure! this isn't my video but it shows the packaging https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgEJ2w0I_Pc

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Yeah that's the one.

I don't have it but someone in this thread pointed out that their album "I Am The Fun Blame Monster" has cool packaging too. It folds out into a monster:

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Dogen posted:

Is it one of their weirder limited ones? If not you can find it at any record store who carries them fairly easily. They have a bunch of copies of Looper, Drive, Halloween, etc. at Waterloo in Austin.

It doesn't sale that it any info I can find on it but who loving knows. I'm keen to pay $35 for it but not $200 on discogs later on down the track.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

shmee posted:

Yeah that's the one.

I don't have it but someone in this thread pointed out that their album "I Am The Fun Blame Monster" has cool packaging too. It folds out into a monster:

The original covers folded out. I have a repressing that doesn't do that:(

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH
Any good record stores in NYC? I'm here for a few days unexpectedly.

Roger Troutman
Jan 11, 2007

What I do is sometimes get a tin of soup, heat it up, poach an egg in it, serve that with a pork pie sausage roll.
http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/stores/index.jsp#/search/new%20york%20city

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

ddddddffdfddddfddf posted:

http://www.humanheadnyc.com

Good luck getting anywhere off the L if you're planning on taking public transportation.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

No

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

There's a bunch depending on where you'll be, but I'd recommend a new place I just found near the Montrose L stop in Brooklyn, Superior Elevation. It's used stuff with a lot of reggae, hip hop, soul, disco. The selection is fantastic especially for how low the prices are. One of the best record stores I've come across in years. Oh and they're having some kind of party tomorrow with djs playing from 12-8. :slick:

https://m.facebook.com/pages/Superior-Elevation-Records/153320234731234

Also in the neighborhood:

Crate records is right next to superior elevation, everything they sell is $1 and there's some surprisingly good things to be found if you dig long enough.

Human Head has good new and used stuff, a well balanced price range with more rare items than the other places I mentioned.

Then in Williamsburg there's Rough Trade which is huge and nice looking but pricy.

E- oh yeah the L isn't running to Brooklyn, the J or M to Flushing would get you close to the first three I mentioned.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Im drunk and listening to They Might Be Giants. A+

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Snowy posted:

There's a bunch depending on where you'll be, but I'd recommend a new place I just found near the Montrose L stop in Brooklyn, Superior Elevation. It's used stuff with a lot of reggae, hip hop, soul, disco. The selection is fantastic especially for how low the prices are. One of the best record stores I've come across in years. Oh and they're having some kind of party tomorrow with djs playing from 12-8. :slick:

https://m.facebook.com/pages/Superior-Elevation-Records/153320234731234

Hah, I saw this and thought "did they move into where Crate was?" before I saw the rest of your post. I'll have to check it out; I'm sorely lacking in all those genres.

I second Rough Trade and Human Head, they're really the only stores I bother going to (I've only been buying records for like a year and I do it very casually) unless I happen to be around a different one. Rough Trade is only new records but has a huge selection of them (and a decent books section, too, if you'd like something for your coffee table). Human Head has a good, almost-entirely-used selection and is run by some super nice people. They don't really specialize in any one thing, but I usually manage to walk out with a few records every time I go.

Also, transit tip: you can take the ferry from Manhattan to Brooklyn, right near Rough Trade (http://www.roughtrade.com/pages/NYCL), then walk to the L at Lorimer (which is only ~15 minutes away), then take it to Montrose to get to the other places Snowy recommended. You can then take the J/M back. Uber's also running some kinda carpool thing this weekend that can get you over the bridge for $5: http://blog.uber.com/nyc-uberpool-l-train-5-dollar-fares

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 05:39 on May 16, 2015

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I always felt bad that I found a few records to buy in UO when I was in NYC a few years ago. They don't have any for sale in the ones here (they're awful shops) so it was a bit of a novelty.

I like Generation Records as well, and W'burg definitely has a cool stack of stores you'll find stuff of interest in I'm sure.

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?
Greenpoint has a great number of tiny shops hiding around. If you're taking the time to go to Rough Trade (which is hip but way overpriced and not really at all worth it if you're just trying to get new records), walk a few blocks north on Wythe to get to Co-op 87, which is run by the Captured Tracks folks (small new selection, good used selection, all the Captured Tracks releases you could want if you're into that stuff); right around the corner on Calyer St. is Captured Tracks itself, a newer store also run by CT, which is entirely used, if I recall. Then if you walk north on Manhattan Ave. you'll get to the Record Grouch, which is pretty hit/miss. All used, but every now and then with pretty phenomenal finds (They had a copy of XTC's Apple Venus Vol. 1 which I had to pass up at the time but totally would have been worth the $60 they wanted for it...).

Permanent Records used to be up there too, but they moved to Park Slope. Haven't been to the new location yet, but when I lived in Greenpoint they were my go-to. Super nice folks.

edit: A better alternative to Rough Trade but in the same neighborhood would be Earwax on N9th. They've been in the neighborhood for forever. Support local businesses!

1000 umbrellas fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time

RIP The Thing,The Vortex :twisted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGvUi2_lPuU