Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Notahippie posted:

1. Pushed for universal health care before almost any other serious national figure did, even if she failed at getting it at the time.
2. Numerous SecState successes, including the death of Bin Laden, pushing State to adopt a transnational multi-stakeholder model of their work, supporting engagement with Iran, and from the folks I know who worked with her she also was instrumental in supporting making State a more supportive and happier place to work.
3. Consistent lifetime support for women's empowerment in America and abroad.

I don't think she's going to be a transformative figure - she's pretty much a part of the current US system and not likely to do anything dramatic. But her entire career makes me comfortable thinking she's going to incrementally advance a foreign and domestic agenda that will make the US better.

I think those are legitimate answers.

I'm a little dubious that she'll still try to push issue #1 now that the ACA is in place, even though I'd rather see actual universal healthcare. Hopefully she makes some sort of statement about this once the campaigning starts in earnest. I'm not as happy with her work at the state department - though opening Iran is undeniably a good thing, but the way the Arab Spring was handled is pretty disappointing and the whole email thing is really troubling to me. Point 3 I can't argue with.

I think it's pretty clear that she's not my first pick to be president, but I willingly concede that she's not anywhere close to being as awful as any of the GOP contestants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

richardfun posted:

I'd like to see him work that into his stump speech on an indian reservation.

Or Hawaii.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

ErIog posted:

Man, Jeb's running his campaign like a clown show. I think Hillary can beat Jeb easily in the general, but I think Rubio could beat her if he can get the nomination. Jeb has the personality of a wet shoe, but Rubio is actually a pretty decent speaker. I think he sounds somewhat insincere, but he doesn't give off the used-car-salesman vibe that Cruz gives off in spades. He also has an interesting personal story, and he seems like he's willing to at least say he's gonna do something on immigration reform. He also seems like he's savvy enough to not get mired too much in the culture war.

Are you talking about a different Rubio? I've heard all these fucks give softball interviews on conservative talk radio except Jeb and Rubio has like negative charisma. Cruz is good at riling crazies, Huckabee has his "aw shucks" routine on lock, and Rand Paul is a decent speaker when he's not ducking out of interviews. Rubio is just the generic milquetoast white empty suit except he's Hispanic. Which actually would make him a good establishment candidate if they weren't completely uninterested in running a non-white, non-grayhair.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Or Hawaii.

Or the former Confederacy.

AndNowMax
Sep 25, 2009

Fighting the fight for *mumble* *mumble*

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Which actually would make him a good establishment candidate if they weren't completely uninterested in running a non-white, non-grayhair.
The relative diversity of the primary field shows the Republicans are more than willing to give identity politics a shot; they've got an African-American, an Indian-American, a woman and three Hispanics. And Rubio's the most right-wing of the good establishment candidates, with only Cruz and Paul farther to the right than him.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sir Kodiak posted:

Or the former Confederacy.

If one starts from the idiotic assumption of America as the aggressor against the confederacy (rather than, you know, the confederacy seizing American military posts and then shelling Fort Sumter, aka recorded history) then you could say the war was fought to secure freedom for millions of people held in bondage by the slavers.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Are you talking about a different Rubio? I've heard all these fucks give softball interviews on conservative talk radio except Jeb and Rubio has like negative charisma. Cruz is good at riling crazies, Huckabee has his "aw shucks" routine on lock, and Rand Paul is a decent speaker when he's not ducking out of interviews. Rubio is just the generic milquetoast white empty suit except he's Hispanic. Which actually would make him a good establishment candidate if they weren't completely uninterested in running a non-white, non-grayhair.

538 was saying he was a stronger candidate than he seemed for the reasons you said. I think they are wrong for the reasons you said

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

Notahippie posted:

1. Pushed for universal health care before almost any other serious national figure did, even if she failed at getting it at the time.
2. Numerous SecState successes, including the death of Bin Laden, pushing State to adopt a transnational multi-stakeholder model of their work, supporting engagement with Iran, and from the folks I know who worked with her she also was instrumental in supporting making State a more supportive and happier place to work.

I don't think she's going to be a transformative figure - she's pretty much a part of the current US system and not likely to do anything dramatic. But her entire career makes me comfortable thinking she's going to incrementally advance a foreign and domestic agenda that will make the US better.

Whatever she was 20 years ago, Hillary's political and policy positions today are what her army of focus groups and campaign handlers tell her they are. Those beliefs to which that doesn't apply can be gleaned from her time in recent office, where she is evidently a fiscal and foreign policy conservative. Her vote on Iraq, regretful or not, and her position on the TPP ought to be sufficient to demonstrate that.

Fact is, she's a mainstream democrat with conservative economic views, hawkish foreign policy views and some redeeming progressive social beliefs. She's closer to an American libertarian who doesn't hiss and cross her fingers at the approach of government than she is to a progressive or liberal. Her actions, much like Obama's, will end up helping some in the short term while hurting (possibly, and probably) many more others in both the short term and long term.

In light of that, it's kind of sad that she is apparently the best mainstream candidate in the race (in either party). She is, most definitely, the mainstream candidate least likely to pursue stupidly short-sighted and self-destructive policy. That doesn't mean she's likely to make the US better, incrementally or otherwise. Best case is that it's likely she'll do things that, overall, end up being a wash.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

AndNowMax posted:

The relative diversity of the primary field shows the Republicans are more than willing to give identity politics a shot; they've got an African-American, an Indian-American, a woman and three Hispanics. And Rubio's the most right-wing of the good establishment candidates, with only Cruz and Paul farther to the right than him.

I mean they can't stop these people from throwing in. I'll agree they are willing to try identity politics when they nominate someone who isn't a white man.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

If one starts from the idiotic assumption of America as the aggressor against the confederacy (rather than, you know, the confederacy seizing American military posts and then shelling Fort Sumter, aka recorded history) then you could say the war was fought to secure freedom for millions of people held in bondage by the slavers.

It was a joke about Republican primary voters.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sir Kodiak posted:

It was a joke about Republican primary voters.

Well I guess I was just spelling it out :v:

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

OctoberBlues posted:

Tom Cotton could gain a few pounds, he is very weird looking and stick-like...

Tom Cotton sounds like the name of a character from one of those African folk tales that was appropriated by racists, ala Uncle Remus/Brer Rabbit.

An excerpt from Uncle Ronnie's Songs and Stories for Aw-Shucks, Down-Home, Country Conservatives:

"Well, now what Tom Cotton did was, he got all them other God-fearin', woodland critter-folk together, and they wrote theyselves a letter to the mullahs..."

Spun Dog posted:

Someone should ask him if he would invade Iraq given what we know now.

And if he still intends to make good on his promise to rid this country of every last rabbit.

Warmachine posted:

The hack politician version of giving your class presentation naked? I wonder what Cruz dreams about?

:eng101: Teeth are a commonly-occurring dream image.

I forget what they're thought to symbolize, though.

Deep Hurting fucked around with this message at 06:29 on May 14, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

OctoberBlues posted:

Tom Cotton could gain a few pounds, he is very weird looking and stick-like...

That's because Tom Cotton is Sid the sloth from Ice Age.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 06:59 on May 14, 2015

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Feather posted:

Whatever she was 20 years ago, Hillary's political and policy positions today are what her army of focus groups and campaign handlers tell her they are.
"Hillarys history shows she will ignore everyone else and pursue her right wing agenda!"

"Her history has always been to the left of most of the Democrats at the time"

"Well forget it because NOWADAYS she's only going to listen to what other people tell her!"

You're one of the Liberal Logic people, aren't you?

And I swear to crap, if I see one more person say she loooooooves death because she stupidly believed Republicans about Iraq......

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 08:12 on May 14, 2015

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

FAUXTON posted:

I am okay with this assumption if it means we can put John Brown on the 20 for being a national hero. He's even tangentially related to Harriet Tubman!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I am okay with this assumption if it means we can put John Brown on the 20 for being a national hero. He's even tangentially related to Harriet Tubman!

Only if the 20 is redesigned to use this as the background for the bill:

real_slime
Apr 21, 2015

by Lowtax
Last 3 US elections I followed closely and with a lot of interest. I was younger so I also believed in Barack Obama the first time. I thought it was all very cool. This time I don't really care and all of the candidates seem boring and shite.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
In the most recent episode of That's So Bush, Jeb accidentally declared his run for president.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Florida Man continues pattern of loving everything up, more at 11.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Notahippie posted:

Empowering all women (except those who make politically problematic but true claims who she dismisses, villainizes, and slut-shames).

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
How long has Gary McCoy had an account?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Was he skipping history class when they got to the part about Manifest Destiny?

Rubio's been David Barton'd like the rest of the Republican Party.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Fulchrum posted:

And I swear to crap, if I see one more person say she loooooooves death because she stupidly believed Republicans about Iraq......

Can we say she loves death because State's legal reasoning and approval allowed Obama to expand the drone program though?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

ufarn posted:

In the most recent episode of That's So Bush, Jeb accidentally declared his run for president.

If Jeb wins the White House, we'd better at least get a rebooted That's My Bush. :colbert:

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Fulchrum posted:

How long has Gary McCoy had an account?

Sorry for pointing out to someone claiming Hillary "empowers women" that she argued that a relationship between POTUS and an intern wasn't a "power relationship".

So, like, she's literally unempowering women (just those that get in her way so maybe that's cool who can fathom the liberal mind)

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Sorry for pointing out to someone claiming Hillary "empowers women" that she argued that a relationship between POTUS and an intern wasn't a "power relationship".

So, like, she's literally unempowering women (just those that get in her way so maybe that's cool who can fathom the liberal mind)

I think that that particular relationship might have been more complex for her than "POTUS and an intern."

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
This hasn't stopped being funny.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Can we say she loves death because State's legal reasoning and approval allowed Obama to expand the drone program though?

Yeah it'd be much better if we had shot rockets at them, or sent actual soldiers. Those are both far less bad.

edit

He's so confident!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Oh, also, everyone needs to set their calendars for May 28th when George Pataki will make an announcement.

I hope you're as excited as I am about this, because if you're less excited you may no longer have a pulse.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Joementum posted:

Oh, also, everyone needs to set their calendars for May 28th when George Pataki will make an announcement.

I hope you're as excited as I am about this, because if you're less excited you may no longer have a pulse.

we're sorry for our streak of lovely governors

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ufarn posted:

Pretty solid gaffe of saying out loud what everyone knows.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Shifty Pony posted:

Pretty solid gaffe of saying out loud what everyone knows.

Yes, everyone knows, but he can't officially say it, because then he wouldn't be able to be personally involved in raising $100 million for his super-PAC.

Aren't US election laws great?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Citizens United is the stupidest bullshit in american history.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
The FEC head already admitted they were a joke. Por que no los dos?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Ignite Memories posted:

Officially marks the new Gilded Age in US politics.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Ignite Memories posted:

Nah, unless you were super loving naive.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Ignite Memories posted:

Haha yeah, imagine if they had gone with the government's extremely smart argument about how it would be constitutional to ban books.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ErIog posted:

Man, Jeb's running his campaign like a clown show. I think Hillary can beat Jeb easily in the general, but I think Rubio could beat her if he can get the nomination. Jeb has the personality of a wet shoe, but Rubio is actually a pretty decent speaker. I think he sounds somewhat insincere, but he doesn't give off the used-car-salesman vibe that Cruz gives off in spades. He also has an interesting personal story, and he seems like he's willing to at least say he's gonna do something on immigration reform. He also seems like he's savvy enough to not get mired too much in the culture war.

I really thought Jeb would be campaigning better than this. There was only like a handful of weeks where "I'm not my brother!" was credible, but then after his adviser info, his family raising money for him as surrogates, and his Iraq war comments he's just playing right into it.

quote:

WASHINGTON — Jeb Bush hasn't declared his White House candidacy, but the former Florida governor is raising record amounts to build a political infrastructure that could overwhelm his rivals for the Republican nomination and break ground on campaign finance.

The Republican's allies have deployed three political arms — a traditional political action committee, a super PAC that can take unlimited funds and a non-profit group that can take donations of any size without disclosing donors' identities — to support his nascent campaign. Through his various political organizations, Bush has drawn an experienced cadre of political strategists, communication aides and technology experts to his campaign-in-waiting.

By waiting to declare his candidacy, Bush's allies argue, he can collect big checks for his Right to Rise super PAC without running afoul of rules that limit coordination between super PACs and federal candidates, who are barred from accepting donations larger than $2,700 for the primary election.

At a recent donors' gathering in Miami, Bush told supporters he had collected a record amount for a Republican candidate at this stage in the nominating process, but he has not released a fundraising total before required filings with federal regulators in July.

Bush, who has held scores of fundraisers around the country, probably will report "an extraordinary number no one has ever seen before," said David Beightol, a lobbyist and Bush supporter who has participated in three of his fundraising events in the Washington area, including one last week that Beightol and others in attendance said exceeded expectations.

The party's donors are drawn to Bush because of a "thirst for leadership," Beightol said. Bush, a former two-term governor and the son and brother of U.S. presidents, has a depth of experience on domestic and foreign policy issues that few of his rivals can match, he said.

"He doesn't want to have it on his résumé that he was the Republican Party's nominee," Beightol said. "He wants to be president."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2016/2015/05/13/jeb-bush-campaign-money-machine/27241557/

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Ignite Memories posted:

Citizens United is the stupidest bullshit in american history.*

*Decision is not actually relevant to not declaring so you can raise PAC funds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
"Right To Rise" is the most Florida name ever. :awesome:

• Locked thread