Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Part of the bans Fran had been racking up was trying to keep him from posting while she tried to get in touch with Carbine about him. :catstare:
I'm sorry, this is above and beyond what I expected from MMO drama. This is now the most enjoyable game I've never played.

e:

This is just terrific.

Father Wendigo fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Bombogenesis posted:

Link for those curious.

God bless you, Wildstar guy. Keep on livin' that dream. :patriot:

steambox failure confirmed

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Father Wendigo posted:

I'm sorry, this is above and beyond what I expected from MMO drama. This is now the most enjoyable game I've never played.

Seriously, I've gotten so much entertainment from this game and I've never even played it. :allears:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

quote:

For the love of freaking NEXUS, please tell us this, the truth please. If you are really an insider.
What does the Carbine current staff think of PVP? Do they care about PVP at all?

quote:

The existing playerbase speaks for itself, they're playing to their audience with the dev strength they have. If F2P brings in a load of people I can see them shifting focus to PVP again.

quote:

then lets go free 2 play baby!!
:allears:

fake edit:

quote:

If you truly are an employee, I have to question why you're releasing this information before its official or ready to go public.
Disgruntled or do you just flat out hate Carbine?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

quote:

Hijacking the top comment, as I've received some reports about this thread. I'm not removing it, because I'm letting the community decide if they think it is legitimate. If it is true, he's posted a lot of interesting info.
However, /u/God_of_EDM, your salary of (possibly, could be wrong) $41,454.17 is semi-legible from your gross pay. That might be relatively easy to track down for the accounting department. I hope it doesn't end up costing you your job.

Is he QA? How is that an OK salary for a tech worker in california?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

30.5 Days posted:

QA people don't get payed very well.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Verranicus posted:

QA people don't get payed very well.

Yeah that's what I meant when I asked if he was QA because that'd be the only explanation for his salary. But QA also isn't told what the gently caress is going on, so any information he gives is kinda suspect since he's just going to have the company line + what you could find out standing outside carbine headquarters with binoculars.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

30.5 Days posted:

I know how much the QA were earning roughly and that sounds pretty low. Thats worse than QA pay at Sony Online in Texas and they were horrible about underpaying.

noELrunes
Jan 23, 2004

Bah gawd he had a family!
The bigger news is that apparently Blade and Soul is in family & friends beta.

get rid of wildstar and use their server space for that game.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Shadowlyger posted:

Seriously, I've gotten so much entertainment from this game and I've never even played it. :allears:

Same, the closest I've gotten to wildstar is a bunch of friends pestering me for weeks to play it and then suddenly going quiet as soon as it launched. Reading this thread has been a hell of a ride and I can't wait to see more :allears:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I'm particularly interested to see what the diehard anti-F2P people like Lethality and Olivar have to say once the transition to F2P is officially announced. They've been totally dismissive and outright rude on the subject, and I iamgine they'll both just stop posting out of shame.

EDIT: At least some of them are taking it like men. This is from Vince Blood, the self professed QA tester for Guild Wars 2: "I still stick by my principles. I have no argument anymore. I don't want to admit I was wrong because I honest-to-god want this game to be able to stand on its own two feet, but I was wrong. It breaks my heart that I was wrong because I wasn't fighting against all that I was just for personal reasons; I was vehemently against all that's happening because I know what it takes to develop a game and I didn't feel it was the right time to make these changes.

But I was wrong. People seem pretty happy to rub that poo poo in my face, and that's petty as *cupcake*. But I was wrong. All I can do now is hope the game prospers wherever it ends up. I'm sure a lot of people will be incredibly happy that I won't be posting as much anymore."

Verranicus fucked around with this message at 06:57 on May 14, 2015

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Seven people working QA is honestly seven more than I expected...at launch.

I assume they quit because they got tired of being ignored.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
My dad works for Carbine and he says they're totally going to go P2F. It's a hardcore new business model where if you play the game 40 hours a week you get to play for free but if you don't make your quota you have to sub and get a giant W tattooed on your head so all may know your shame.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Rorus Raz posted:

Seven people working QA is honestly seven more than I expected...at launch.

I assume they quit because they got tired of being ignored.

idk sitting around all day doing jack poo poo sounds like an ok job to me

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Evil Mastermind posted:

quote:

For the love of freaking NEXUS, please tell us this, the truth please. If you are really an insider.
What does the Carbine current staff think of PVP? Do they care about PVP at all?

quote:

The existing playerbase speaks for itself, they're playing to their audience with the dev strength they have. If F2P brings in a load of people I can see them shifting focus to PVP again.

quote:

then lets go free 2 play baby!!

:allears:

fake edit:

ok yeah this is trolling then

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

30.5 Days posted:

carbine is known for low pay

(Check out the glassdoor, even taken with a pinch of salt you'll see that almost every single review, good or bad, mentions that the pay is low and definitely too low for orange county)

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Bombogenesis posted:

Link for those curious.

God bless you, Wildstar guy. Keep on livin' that dream. :patriot:

Pffffft, it's not going to happen. If any F2P MMO-like gets pre-installed on Steamboxes, it's going to be Warframe. That game is doing stupidly well on Steam and is usually in the top 10 games by playercount.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

SpaceDrake posted:

Pffffft, it's not going to happen. If any F2P MMO-like gets pre-installed on Steamboxes, it's going to be Warframe. That game is doing stupidly well on Steam and is usually in the top 10 games by playercount.

I don't believe that wildstar is going to be default on steambox.

But I do believe that Carbine's management told that guy that wildstar is going to be default on steambox.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Reminder that Steamboxes run Linux. Reminder that Wildstar's client runs on spit and prayers and all the people who originally worked on it have left months ago.

Father Wendigo posted:

This is now the most enjoyable game I've never played.

Wildstar is the Xbox One of MMOs.

noELrunes posted:

The bigger news is that apparently Blade and Soul is in family & friends beta.

get rid of wildstar and use their server space for that game.

That game looks pretty cool, not sure why it took so long for them to start on a western release.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Arzachel posted:

That game looks pretty cool, not sure why it took so long for them to start on a western release.

Probably the gigantic titted children in g strings

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Byolante posted:

why do they always add this poo poo

are pedophiles really enough of a market

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

RottenK posted:

they're the entire market

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Belzac posted:

My dad works for Carbine and he says they're totally going to go P2F. It's a hardcore new business model where if you play the game 40 hours a week you get to play for free but if you don't make your quota you have to sub and get a giant W tattooed on your head so all may know your shame.

Half surprised this isn't a model somewhere already

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

RottenK posted:

I see you didnt ever check out the old archeage threads

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

SarutosZero posted:

I see you didnt ever check out the old archeage threads

i did, even participated in the ~imp zone raid~ a little bit

but, i mean, that was one pedophile and a gaggle of apologists

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Byolante posted:

Don't forget the asses.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Iron Tusk posted:

Don't forget the asses.

so uh when is this released again

asking for a friend

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Byolante posted:

:stare: What the gently caress Korea

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

RottenK posted:

The answer to the first question is obvious. It makes a lot of money.

The second question is one that I am confused about as well. Because chances are that no, the eastern market is not overflowing with pedos that are throwing tons of money at MMOs. More than likely, the common MMO player over there does not view this type of content in the same way that Western players do. They don't look at it and immediately think "sexy children". Or something like that. I dunno. I don't care for it but I still really want to play B&S.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
B&S's combat is really fun and involves just a few buttons that rotate to new actions as you do combos, plus active blocking.

Best of all, you can do horrible, horrible things with character creation. Every race but the Amazon models and the pedo bait animal children has age sliders and an insane number of body sliders. My sword master on the Russian version was a little old lady with a wrinkled face and sagging tits, and this enraged people for some reason.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Anoia posted:

B&S's combat is really fun and involves just a few buttons that rotate to new actions as you do combos, plus active blocking.

Best of all, you can do horrible, horrible things with character creation. Every race but the Amazon models and the pedo bait animal children has age sliders and an insane number of body sliders. My sword master on the Russian version was a little old lady with a wrinkled face and sagging tits, and this enraged people for some reason.

BnS handles the "tiny animal-eared race" a lot better than Tera did at least. You can make "old man" looking Lyns with fu-manchu mustaches and such. It's good since some classes are locked to certain races, so you're not stuck playing a little girl or whatever if you want to play a Summoner or Lyn Blademaster.

Glad to hear it's MAYBE finally making it over here. I played China BnS for awhile and it was pretty fun, but the lag made the combat kinda difficult, and grouping for dungeons was pretty hard since there were barely any english speaking people.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Look, if you're telling me you can make Cologne from Ranma 1/2, I'm sold.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

I forgot the best part about B&S: one of the universal hairstyles is a giant afro.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Im pretty sure I remember reading a long time ago that the elin/popori weren't really designed with male audience in mind (in korea I mean). Cutesy characters are almost always marketed to women there. But kTERA being full accurate hitbox based and the elin's having somehow greater reach (do to their animations) than the other races caused min/maxers to gravitate toward them. So naturally the elin became the dominant species in Arborea.

B&S Lyn are similarly designed toward that cutesy market but taken even further. Look at how the summoners (Lyn unique class) were originally going to be during their concept video and then how they turned out when they came out. Look at the korean marketing for B&S around the summoners launch, its not really targeted at guys. They have access to the simplest classes to play and their version of swordmaster was retooled to be simpler to use from the other race versions. Sort of feeds into the stereotype that girls need easier and cuter classes.

I dont think that dude that showed up in the wildstar thread is real though. If B&S really was in F&F more info should have been coming out about its released. I'm sure ncsoft's success with the game in asia probably stirred them to take another look but I doubt they are moving expediently. But I really want it to get here, with the harmonization patch forced on, just to see the shitfest the oforums will be :allears:

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 14, 2015

panda clue
May 23, 2014
I wonder if cyster is one of those people at the top that the leak described, who are constantly arguing and dragging the entire company down. she has stayed there longer than almost any other carbine employee at this point. makes u think

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'm kinda willing to believe that, since even FF14 is making a 'cuter' race for their first expansion* But TERA sure as gently caress doesn't help the impression that the Elin are pedobait with the cash-shop costumes they get.

The new FF14 was is a race that double-panders, no less. The female Au Ra are designed as smaller and cuter because apparently the current elves and catgirls weren't small or cute enough for the Asian market, and the male Au Ra are huge and hulking even beyond the Rogadyne, who were basically just taller and bulkier humans, so westerners can be tall and imposing.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
People who look at their character at all in mmos are weirdos.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Im pretty sure I remember reading a long time ago that the elin/popori weren't really designed with male audience in mind (in korea I mean). Cutesy characters are almost always marketed to women there. But kTERA being full accurate hitbox based and the elin's having somehow greater reach (do to their animations) than the other races caused min/maxers to gravitate toward them. So naturally the elin became the dominant species in Arborea.

B&S Lyn are similarly designed toward that cutesy market but taken even further. Look at how the summoners (Lyn unique class) were originally going to be during their concept video and then how they turned out when they came out. Look at the korean marketing for B&S around the summoners launch, its not really targeted at guys. They have access to the simplest classes to play and their version of swordmaster was retooled to be simpler to use from the other race versions. Sort of feeds into the stereotype that girls need easier and cuter classes.

This makes a lot more sense to me. I know some adult women here in the states who play all kinds of MMOs and prefer picking the "cute" races for that exact reason too.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Playing on RP servers has made me infinitely more wary of small, cutesy races. Thanks, gnome and lalafell age players (read: pedos who try to act like playing a child to erp with is acceptable)

But even the weirdest erpers won't have that poo poo and will flood social media with warnings about such players. So people who play cat girls with dicks are more proactive about blacklisting creeps than goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

In my experience, erp knows no bounds when it comes to races. No reason to be more wary of one race over another. Just be wary of erp players in general imo.

• Locked thread