Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That lines up pretty well with my analogy, I bought my Forester for $300 or so with no engine and tried to register it. The paper pushing bureaucrat at the RMV insisted that since there was no sale price box on the title (NY titles don't have one, unlike most) I absolutely had to get a bill of sale from the seller. Who was 200 miles and a previous owner away, because a friend bought it and never got around to registering it before determining it was a basket case.

Guess what? It was irrelevant bullshit anyways because once I got that stupid form, they taxed me on the $3800 NADA fair-condition value anyfuckingways. Gimme a pile of paperwork to prove what you paid for it, oh gently caress you we are gonna charge you the higher rate regardless!

So, uh, welcome to the club of getting hosed by the government based entirely off bullshit I guess :sigh::hf::sigh:

(I got lucky, it was like $275 tax. Sorry dude.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have a loving pimple INSIDE MY LOWER LIP and I can't get it to pop and it hurts and it looks like I have loving herpes.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

kastein posted:

That lines up pretty well with my analogy, I bought my Forester for $300 or so with no engine and tried to register it. The paper pushing bureaucrat at the RMV insisted that since there was no sale price box on the title (NY titles don't have one, unlike most) I absolutely had to get a bill of sale from the seller. Who was 200 miles and a previous owner away, because a friend bought it and never got around to registering it before determining it was a basket case.

Guess what? It was irrelevant bullshit anyways because once I got that stupid form, they taxed me on the $3800 NADA fair-condition value anyfuckingways. Gimme a pile of paperwork to prove what you paid for it, oh gently caress you we are gonna charge you the higher rate regardless!

So, uh, welcome to the club of getting hosed by the government based entirely off bullshit I guess :sigh::hf::sigh:

(I got lucky, it was like $275 tax. Sorry dude.)

I tired to register a car once, the RTA refused... because they thought it was a stolen trailer.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

kastein posted:

What did you expect? Combine the compassion of the IRS with the functionality and compassion of the DMV and that's what you get.
And yet this thread still wants a gov agency just like that to be in charge of their health care...

I think my gf broke up with me in favor of being FWB. I'm strangely ok with this.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

ilkhan posted:

And yet this thread still wants a gov agency just like that to be in charge of their health care...

Yes, clearly the "oh you need x procedure/surgery/prescription? Well that's just not in the best interest of our shareholders. Not only are we going to decline to cover [thing] but we're also going to cancel your policy and therefore turn you loose in a marketplace where literally everyone will decline to cover you because you have a pre-existing conditon" was working just fine before Obama came along and hosed everything up, right?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Geoj posted:

Yes, clearly the "oh you need x procedure/surgery/prescription? Well that's just not in the best interest of our shareholders. Not only are we going to decline to cover [thing] but we're also going to cancel your policy and therefore turn you loose in a marketplace where literally everyone will decline to cover you because you have a pre-existing conditon" was working just fine before Obama came along and hosed everything up, right?

no you don't understand if it's not a 173% perfect solution from the get go it is the spawn of satan and that drat friend of the family inexperienced president needs to be impeached for destroying AMERICA

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

ilkhan posted:

I think my gf broke up with me in favor of being FWB. I'm strangely ok with this.

I had no intention of restarting this bullshit debate since it is basically the reason I stopped following this thread a while ago.

However.

Here is my stance on this. The setup we had previously was obviously pretty loving broken. So is the setup we have now. This will be hosed forever, because lobbyists and corporations are in charge of our government, not actual representatives who actually have the happiness of their constituents in mind. That goes for BOTH sides of the aisle, so I laugh when people start pointing fingers at each party.

I would rather have either a free market that actually loving works (and a government not afraid to hit corporations with a really big hammer for price fixing, monopolistic/oligopolistic behavior, etc, which MUST go with something like that, or you get robber barons) OR single payer. I don't particularly care which at this point. This half and half bend over for whoever bribes Washington the most bullshit has got to go.

Sadly neither party has any of this in mind and they will continue arguing this bullshit and taking bribes until things start catching fire and people start rioting. They simply do not give a rats rear end about us anymore - on either side. We will have corrupt, byzantine, hosed up regulations and ridiculous boondoggles, and huge bureaucratic agencies that answer to no one and spend billions on a loving simple website that doesn't work right, all in charge. Is that better or worse than having to buy your own insurance? Well, that depends on if you get hosed over like Rhyno did, for absolutely no reason, with no one to appeal to.

PS: we could pay for a year of ACA plus a little, even at its projected 2025 cost, with just the money wasted on the F35 project.

I'm gonna move to the moon, gently caress this noise and gently caress 99% of our government. The only good politician is a dead one. I strongly believe that only those who pass a lie detector test indicating they want absolutely nothing to do with exercising power and are capable of accepting a logical argument they did not originally agree with should be allowed to run our government.

In closing, vote Dennis Kucinich / Rand Paul / Bernie Sanders triumvirate 2016. They might be nuts, and complete polar opposites, but at least you know they're saying what they think and are too crazy to be bribed.

aaaaand that's the last D&D bullshit you'll hear out of me in this thread because guess what? I should have been asleep already.

kastein fucked around with this message at 06:26 on May 14, 2015

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
So, I pretty much want to move to Norway.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

Mat_Drinks posted:

So, I pretty much want to move to Norway.

I'll putt the kettle on

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Ozmiander posted:

And here i'm living in my 60k shoebox.

I'm trying to find a 60k shoebox of my own.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

quote:

The only good politician is a dead one

What else needs to be said? They are all a pack of bastards.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

kastein posted:

The only good politician is a dead one.

That used to be the case, but it's oldthink. 20 years ago? Maybe. 30 years ago? Yeah. Since then, the entire system has been sold out from under us. The specific politician in "power" doesn't matter one whit, it's only coloration of presentation. All of the decisions, all of the rules, all of the powers are held by a few dozen people that have bought our entire system. There is no "American Dream" anymore, because the cards are stacked against all of us.

There's the 1%, there's the 1% of that group, and the power is held by a handful of them. We are no better than many of the countries we've scorned in the past.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

I found my shoebox but I have to either liquidate the seeds of my investments and retirement fund or sell off a bunch of my most valuable possessions to make the down payment. I had a nice little house fund egg set up, but then my dog fell out of the window of the truck and welp, there goes three grand, oh and look I have to cover four consecutive months of rent by myself, there's another four grand, and here we are.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
After doing some maths i think we can safely say that we are getting the house, i am going to sell one of the apartments i sublet to reduce my debt load. (one of the weird things about having cancer is that i kinda have to plan for how my family will do if i die, and i dont want to leave my wife with alot of debt even if all of it is secured in real estate)

I just cant wait to get started on this move. It also feels great to actually do something that my wife is so stoked about, Being a cancer patient makes you have to do alot of selfish things, and she is the greatest support in the world.

and of course, look at this poo poo

i have to figure out what to do about this room tho. the pool is defunct so it will probably be filled in or something

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
AI meet in Norway

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

fjelltorsk posted:

i have to figure out what to do about this room tho. the pool is defunct so it will probably be filled in or something

It looks like you could fit at least a couple of these in there...

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

meatpimp posted:

That used to be the case, but it's oldthink. 20 years ago? Maybe. 30 years ago? Yeah. Since then, the entire system has been sold out from under us. The specific politician in "power" doesn't matter one whit, it's only coloration of presentation. All of the decisions, all of the rules, all of the powers are held by a few dozen people that have bought our entire system. There is no "American Dream" anymore, because the cards are stacked against all of us.

There's the 1%, there's the 1% of that group, and the power is held by a handful of them. We are no better than many of the countries we've scorned in the past.

That's just so depressingly true.

And honestly sounds like the Illuminarti (sp). We are soooo hosed.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Liquid Communism posted:

God bless short sales.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

meatpimp posted:

I dunno. The more I go up the ladder, the more I see that everyone is on their own hedonistic treadmill. I don't think there's a boogeyman at the top, but rather some dude who inherited billions, and his treadmill is being scared of messing up daddy's legacy.

I think you see a lot of wisdom and empathy from people who have climbed through the slog rapidly, and understand that it's a fight the entire way up. Money doesn't bring wisdom, and you see unhappy/mentally screwed up people on all socioeconomic levels. I think it's a pandemic mental lack of awareness of the plight of people different than you that's screwing things up, not some Wizard of Oz behind the curtain.

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Adiabatic posted:

I dunno. The more I go up the ladder, the more I see that everyone is on their own hedonistic treadmill. I don't think there's a boogeyman at the top, but rather some dude who inherited billions, and his treadmill is being scared of messing up daddy's legacy.

I think you see a lot of wisdom and empathy from people who have climbed through the slog rapidly, and understand that it's a fight the entire way up. Money doesn't bring wisdom, and you see unhappy/mentally screwed up people on all socioeconomic levels. I think it's a pandemic mental lack of awareness of the plight of people different than you that's screwing things up, not some Wizard of Oz behind the curtain.

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

I would have agreed with you a few years back, but the disparity between the normal ultra-rich (the data I'll show is from $150 million - ~$800 million), and the mega-ultra-elite rich is huge. I'm not talking about "regular" corporate guys, if you don't measure your worth in at least significant percentages of a BILLION, you're not even on the playing field.

Take a look at the interactive chart, after the static one, here (keep in mind that the chart STARTS with people worth $150 million ): http://www.movoto.com/blog/opinions/wealthiest-person-map/

It shows that there are a huge number of people worth many hundreds of millions in every state. BUT, there's a huge gap in the people that have percentages of a billion and multi-billionaires.

It's that upper echelon that were given supreme power (pun intended) with the Citizens United decision from the Supreme Court. As soon as our country's highest court decided that corporations are people and have a right to voice their opinions in elections, well, folks, the gimmick's exposed and we all lost. The money is running the show more than it ever has and that is resulting in more and more squeezing of the life out of the serfs, formerly known as citizens in a United States democracy.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Wow. We have over $450,000 worth of change orders so far in this one building. Gotta love it.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

NitroSpazzz posted:

It looks like you could fit at least a couple of these in there...

I'm guessing the Diablo is the most reliable of these vehicles. This guy must love being disappointed.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
New commercial building up the street from me has 5 independent lifts. 5 car park bays, each with a lift. I guess to meet car park requirements mandated by law, or so employees cars get lifted up so customers can park somewhere.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

meatpimp posted:

I think we are agreeing here but I'm not entirely sure.

meatpimp posted:

formerly known as citizens in a United States democracy.
Nitpick: we are allegedly a federal presidential constitutional republic, not a democracy :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOOTKA0aGI0
(I'll be over at my hovel playing with some lovely filth and broken jeeps.)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

fjelltorsk posted:

After doing some maths i think we can safely say that we are getting the house, i am going to sell one of the apartments i sublet to reduce my debt load. (one of the weird things about having cancer is that i kinda have to plan for how my family will do if i die, and i dont want to leave my wife with alot of debt even if all of it is secured in real estate)

I just cant wait to get started on this move. It also feels great to actually do something that my wife is so stoked about, Being a cancer patient makes you have to do alot of selfish things, and she is the greatest support in the world.

and of course, look at this poo poo

But what about the garage??

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

kastein posted:

I had no intention of restarting this bullshit debate since it is basically the reason I stopped following this thread a while ago.

However.

Here is my stance on this. The setup we had previously was obviously pretty loving broken. So is the setup we have now. This will be hosed forever, because lobbyists and corporations are in charge of our government, not actual representatives who actually have the happiness of their constituents in mind. That goes for BOTH sides of the aisle, so I laugh when people start pointing fingers at each party.

I would rather have either a free market that actually loving works (and a government not afraid to hit corporations with a really big hammer for price fixing, monopolistic/oligopolistic behavior, etc, which MUST go with something like that, or you get robber barons) OR single payer. I don't particularly care which at this point. This half and half bend over for whoever bribes Washington the most bullshit has got to go.

Sadly neither party has any of this in mind and they will continue arguing this bullshit and taking bribes until things start catching fire and people start rioting. They simply do not give a rats rear end about us anymore - on either side. We will have corrupt, byzantine, hosed up regulations and ridiculous boondoggles, and huge bureaucratic agencies that answer to no one and spend billions on a loving simple website that doesn't work right, all in charge. Is that better or worse than having to buy your own insurance? Well, that depends on if you get hosed over like Rhyno did, for absolutely no reason, with no one to appeal to.

PS: we could pay for a year of ACA plus a little, even at its projected 2025 cost, with just the money wasted on the F35 project.

I'm gonna move to the moon, gently caress this noise and gently caress 99% of our government. The only good politician is a dead one. I strongly believe that only those who pass a lie detector test indicating they want absolutely nothing to do with exercising power and are capable of accepting a logical argument they did not originally agree with should be allowed to run our government.

In closing, vote Dennis Kucinich / Rand Paul / Bernie Sanders triumvirate 2016. They might be nuts, and complete polar opposites, but at least you know they're saying what they think and are too crazy to be bribed.

aaaaand that's the last D&D bullshit you'll hear out of me in this thread because guess what? I should have been asleep already.

I know it's not much better, but I'm pretty glad I live in Canada. For now anyways.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Wrar posted:

Do it do it do it.

1994 RX-7 in Montego Blue with saddle leather interior and moonroof (which I think means Performance Equipment Group package). First owner, never modified, never raced. Pre-children, it was daily driven to work; under 60K miles. Kept in a garage since new, covered with a car cover and forgotten in the past several years. Was "running fine" when it was put away, will not start now.

Asking 10K.

She's gonna get me pictures sometime soon, but I'm going to pass on a non-running RX7 for $10K asking. Not in my budget, what with literally two days ago plunking down a deposit on a new car. If anyone else is interested, I'll post pics in the marketplace thread.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Not start as in cranks but not fires, or no start as in won't turn over due to dead battery?
Back in the day I got some awesome bargains on RXs from people that knew nothing about cars and were selling them due to not running. Other potential buyers that knew nothing about rotarys were scared off just with that statement. Sometimes it was just a battery, other times it was just ignition leads or coils.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 14, 2015

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Fo3 posted:

Not start as in cranks but not fires, or no start as in won't turn over due to dead battery?
Back in the day I got some awesome bargains on RXs from people that knew nothing about cars and were selling them due to not running. Other potential buyers that knew nothing about rotarys were scared off just with that statement. Sometimes it was just a battery, other times it was just ignition leads or coils.

Yeah, we need to know this. You should at least go check it out and see what could be the issue... Then report back so someone else can buy it :dance:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

kastein posted:

I think we are agreeing here but I'm not entirely sure.

We are. Summary: poo poo's hosed up.

quote:

Nitpick: we are allegedly a federal presidential constitutional republic, not a democracy :v:

True enough. And the US has a way of saying that it's form of government is the best the world has ever seen... but it's only been around for 230-ish years and it's showing its corrupted age. In modern times, a constitutionally-backed monarchy seems to be the government that's kept its poo poo under control for the longest period.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Just going to add this.

As somebody who works in Canada pricing out health insurance policies the numbers for american health insurance make zero sense. From what little data I saw my opinion is that the premium is way too high and the targets make zero sense in context with the plan designs and individual insurance market. I don't want to get all :tinfoil: but I suspect that a lot of sweatheart deals were signed between hospitals and insurance companies after Obamacare was passed for kickbacks.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

meatpimp posted:

True enough. And the US has a way of saying that it's form of government is the best the world has ever seen... but it's only been around for 230-ish years and it's showing its corrupted age. In modern times, a constitutionally-backed monarchy seems to be the government that's kept its poo poo under control for the longest period.

I live in the oldest still-existing monarchy in Europe, tracing its roots back to King Gorm the Old, who ruled Denmark in the 10th century. We have had a constitutional monarchy since 1849 when the first Constitution of the Kingdom of Denmark was written.

And let me tell you this: We are well on our way to loving up every good thing we ever had. The right wing has been busy loving everything over the last 30 years or so, and it seems like the moderate left wing parties are following their lead, too.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

meatpimp posted:

I would have agreed with you a few years back, but the disparity between the normal ultra-rich (the data I'll show is from $150 million - ~$800 million), and the mega-ultra-elite rich is huge. I'm not talking about "regular" corporate guys, if you don't measure your worth in at least significant percentages of a BILLION, you're not even on the playing field.

Take a look at the interactive chart, after the static one, here (keep in mind that the chart STARTS with people worth $150 million ): http://www.movoto.com/blog/opinions/wealthiest-person-map/

It shows that there are a huge number of people worth many hundreds of millions in every state. BUT, there's a huge gap in the people that have percentages of a billion and multi-billionaires.

It's that upper echelon that were given supreme power (pun intended) with the Citizens United decision from the Supreme Court. As soon as our country's highest court decided that corporations are people and have a right to voice their opinions in elections, well, folks, the gimmick's exposed and we all lost. The money is running the show more than it ever has and that is resulting in more and more squeezing of the life out of the serfs, formerly known as citizens in a United States democracy.

What in the hell.

It's lack of selfless forward thinking at the top, then. King's got his back to the wall because he's the only successful mega-crook, if you will.

gently caress this earth, I'm going to space.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Cat Terrist posted:

What else needs to be said?

Bourbon

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Gonna need more legalized weed to make it through the next 10 years of American politics.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

CommieGIR posted:

Gonna need more legalized weed to make it through the next 10 years rest of American politics.

FTFY

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Just got my x-ray results back in. Bone spurs down my entire lower lumbar. Certainly explains a lot.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

CommieGIR posted:

Gonna need more legalized weed to make it through the next 10 years of American politics.

Medical marijuana in Georgia! still illegal to produce or ship or sell within state lines and oh yeah its not actually a cannabinoid so we're still going to gently caress you hard no matter what and this is just a token thing because the children
*conservative care for children only counts in the unborn stage, once you're out of the uterus, gently caress you, bootstrap yourself up, son! Got mine!*

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

SuperDucky posted:

Medical marijuana in Georgia! still illegal to produce or ship or sell within state lines and oh yeah its not actually a cannabinoid so we're still going to gently caress you hard no matter what and this is just a token thing because the children
*conservative care for children only counts in the unborn stage, once you're out of the uterus, gently caress you, bootstrap yourself up, son! Got mine!*

Every time someone says 'Bootstraps' in a connotation to getting out of debt or poverty, I want to punch them in the face for not understanding what that phrase actually means....

That or challenge them to defy gravity by pulling themselves by their bootstraps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

CommieGIR posted:

Every time someone says 'Bootstraps' in a connotation to getting out of debt or poverty, I want to punch them in the face for not understanding what that phrase actually means....

That or challenge them to defy gravity by pulling themselves by their bootstraps.

Most people I know that use the phrase use it ironically to describe a lack of empathy.

• Locked thread