Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Sword swings in W2 didn't cost Vigor but they did less damage the less Vigor you had. It was the trade off for using a Sign, especially Quen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

chaosapiant posted:

Doug Cockle has really loving nailed Geralt's voice. Between the facial animation and voice direction, you can see Geralt's frutration with trying to be patient with this dumb rear end troll.

There's a bit in one of my quests with an even more ridiculous conversation and you can really hear Geralt's amusement/frustration/exasperation.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

There's a bit in one of my quests with an even more ridiculous conversation and you can really hear Geralt's amusement/frustration/exasperation.

Do we finally get a Geralt facepalm? We need that, and then it can become a goon emote. :colbert:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

If Geralt didn't facepalm when Dandelion went into the Succubus cave, I'm not sure anything else will do it either.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

1stGear posted:

Sword swings in W2 didn't cost Vigor but they did less damage the less Vigor you had. It was the trade off for using a Sign, especially Quen.

Yeah I know but that's not what the review said.

Once the game is out, can we have a list of the names of the quests you did?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

GrossMurpel posted:

Once the game is out, can we have a list of the names of the quests you did?

Sure, but I came on to the project relatively late, so most of "my" quests were originally written by someone else.

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 14, 2015

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Spoilers for a small quest involving trolls:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OWhB6Zaiww

Not one of my troll quests, but my favorite. (At least until the expansion)

This has made me rethink my entire view on Trolls.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

beer_war posted:

That Polygon review is really something.

Can someone break it down for me? I took a look at it's length and just could bring myself to read all that.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Tatum Girlparts posted:

You mean you killed the trolls in 2?

You monster!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Spikeguy posted:

Can someone break it down for me? I took a look at it's length and just could bring myself to read all that.

It's a try hard review that goes into a long rant about women representation in the game, and claims that Geralt is sexist. This is a horrible misreading of the character and the gameworld of Witcher 3. This reviewer has a history of doing this, his Bayonetta 2 review was blatant clickbait garbage and the only negative review of that game that even feminists called him out on. He likes to throw in feminists/social justice rants into his reviews, they are completely random and out of place in every instance.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

chaosapiant posted:

How did you access this? I found the page mentionining the stream, but it's only showing the review. What am I missing?

Here's the Youtube link. There's a lovely podcast at about 2 hours and 6 minutes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PahEFn5aQSg

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Can we talk about beard simulations again?

That guy you guys are talking about really isn't worth having conversations about.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Norns posted:

Can we talk about beard simulations again?

That guy you guys are talking about really isn't worth having conversations about.

MOH: Warfighter had beards and it was a failure.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Yeah, the elves in the witcherworld basically got out-bred, and when push came to shove you might be a centuries old badass but a crossbow bolt doesn't care--or the 3-4 other guys next to the arbalest.
Elven society has collapsed to the point where the ones that escaped into the countryside are trying to rediscover farming, and raid human villages for supplies. The Valley of the Flowers in Nilfgaard (their elven puppet state) is probably the only elf-friendly area left outside Vergen. Elves either have to live in ghettos or try and eke out a subsistence life in the wilderness--where there be monsters.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Trolls have always been awesome; what were your views before?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Only good elf is a dead elf.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

I said come in! posted:

That dude blocked me on Twitter when I asked him a question about one of his reviews. It under no circumstances was trolling. It was about Bayonetta 2, and all I wanted was for him to clarify one sentence out of the entire review. He is a really bad writer who can't take any kind of critique of his work.

But yeah, Monday, 9pm for PSN, still feels very far away.

4pm PST is closer. :p

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Do the retail versions of the game have a cd key or something? I preordered it from amazon.ca but moved halfway around the world in the meantime, so the DVDs alone aren't going to be of much use to me while sitting in my parents' basement.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

There is no downgrade, this is a dumb conspiracy theory.

Witcher potions can't melt steel beams.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Vampires and Succubi are also sentient/can be friendly and helpful in the Witcherverse as well.

One of Geralt's best friends who helped him on many occasions was a Vampire Lord, who pointed out that in the Witcherverse, drinking blood basically makes you a Vampire frat boy, and polite Vampire society looks down on them as idiots ( since they can live just fine without blood ). Most are glad to help a Witcher out/stay anonymous. Succubus are basically just sex spirits, but only the bad ones kill people in the Witcherverse. Apparently though according to the stats CDPR released at release, the majority of players killed the Succubus in 2, because "oh it's an evil creature.".

Lot's of stuff in the Witcher universe isn't 1:1 with ours.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 14, 2015

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill
Maybe Mr. Gies couldn't find any people of color because he's ascended to the point of no longer seeing color? He just sees everyone as sepia. I hope to one day achieve this state of enlightenment--and that's why I read Polygon three times a day.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Archimago posted:

Maybe Mr. Gies couldn't find any people of color because he's ascended to the point of no longer seeing color? He just sees everyone as sepia. I hope to one day achieve this state of enlightenment--and that's why I read Polygon three times a day.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
Seriously, moaning endlessly about a review that spends a few paragraphs on social issues is really not worth anyone's time. Especially because he gave us an 80, apparently mostly because he didn't like the gameplay and for stability issues.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Seriously, moaning endlessly about a review that spends a few paragraphs on social issues is really not worth anyone's time. Especially because he gave us an 80, apparently mostly because he didn't like the gameplay and for stability issues.

He's still slightly brain damaged though because he is intentionally leaving out the part where a day one patch fixes these issues.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
From what I can gather, brain damage is a requirement to work at Polgyon.

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu
Can we get a confirm or deny is Mousesack is in the game? I want to hang out with a really poorly named Druid.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I'm not moaning, he can give the game whatever score he likes. I was late to the party but still wanted to make a bad joke. ALLOW ME MY ECCENTRICITIES.

If you're interested in more bad jokes, discussion of Geralt donge/butte, or want to listen to the woes of one goon as he makes his way through the swamps of TW1, join the dozen or so of us nerds hanging out on IRC because we have nothing better to do at work/our great aunt's basement. irc.synirc.net #witcher3

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Rookersh posted:

Vampires and Succubi are also sentient/can be friendly and helpful in the Witcherverse as well.

One of Geralt's best friends who helped him on many occasions was a Vampire Lord, who pointed out that in the Witcherverse, drinking blood basically makes you a Vampire frat boy, and polite Vampire society looks down on them as idiots ( since they can live just fine without blood ). Most are glad to help a Witcher out/stay anonymous. Succubus are basically just sex spirits, but only the bad ones kill people in the Witcherverse. Apparently though according to the stats CDPR released at release, the majority of players killed the Succubus in 2, because "oh it's an evil creature.".

Lot's of stuff in the Witcher universe isn't 1:1 with ours.

What? The best sex scene was with that succubus and seeing her goat legs pushed up behind her ears. It was just an amazing amount of :psyduck:

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I thought this criticism from PC Gamer's PS4 impressions was interesting:

quote:

Those familiar with The Witcher 2 will know this, but it’s worth mentioning for everyone else: Geralt is a big, cumbersome, burly old lunk. If you’ve poured hours into Dragon Age or Souls games of late, it’ll come as a rude shock. Geralt’s turning circle is tank-like and his movements seamlessly animated, meaning the combat and even exploration can feel a bit syrupy at first. It initially feels unresponsive—and an unpredictable lock-on camera doesn’t help the issue—but once you understand the rhythm of the combat it’ll become second nature. It’s not a problem per se, just a learning curve.
I'm really hoping Witcher 2's "kludgy while walking, unpredictably flippy/twirly ice skater while in combat" movement haven't returned, but the few articles that get specific about controls and combat don't make it sound particularly different.

I don't mind Geralt being slow or fast, I'm mostly hoping he's consistently one or the other, and that I always feel in complete control.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

If the day 1 patch improves framerate and removes bugs that people found in the PS4 reviews, I wonder if the Xbox One version will receive higher scores. Would review sites update their scores/reviews of the PS4 if things were fixed in a day one patch for PS4 that they base their Xbox One reviews on?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

I said come in! posted:

He's still slightly brain damaged though because he is intentionally leaving out the part where a day one patch fixes these issues.

Polygon posted:

Ed's Note: Our review of The Witcher 3 is based on non-final PS4 code provided by CD Projekt Red. In our time with the game, we saw significant technical issues, including hard crashes, endless load screens, major framerate drops both at random and during more crowded fight scenes, and failures by the game to trigger even scripts which would halt forward progress within a quest until the game was reloaded, or, on occasion, the console restarted entirely.

CD Projekt's review documentation stated that there were a number of bugs on their list to be addressed in time for the retail release of the game, but at this time, we cannot speak confidently as to the release state of The Witcher 3 in this review. As such, this score will remain provisional until we have a clearer understanding of the game's reliability at launch.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt was reviewed using pre-release debug code for PlayStation 4 provided by CD Projekt Red. You can find additional information about Polygon's ethics policy here.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

e: Oh yeah, Witcher 2. WILD framerate swings and I have no idea what the gently caress's up. I have an i5 2500K @ 3.3 (nb4 OVERCLOCK NEWB!) and a brand new 970. A good chunk of it runs at 60 or at least the high 50's or sometimes the high 40's wait why is it running mid-20's or low 30's I don't... What?

To its credit, it's ONLY during cutscenes so far, gameplay is consistently 60 or playable 40+. But still, it's jarring because it'll run smooth like butter and then the camera angle changes and now Foltest is jitting like I'm playing on a 360.

Disable "Cutscene Depth of Field" it's a massive resource hog and isn't that big of a deal. When I was playing it all maxed out on my 770 I had the same issue and disabling that one setting fixed it. It will also make fix stupidly low frames in fist fights.

Also, this is a better tool for adjusting the settings than the default configurator.

In particular the shadow settings are bugged when using the built-in one and won't actually use the high-res values unless you manually edit the ini files or adjust them using something like the above tool

The shadow size settings will use the lowest values unless manually changed.

e. That being said, you have a 970, and I can run the game with cutscene depth of field turned on and even supersampling enabled at a steady 40+ FPS. The only place that gives me some issues is running around in the forest outside Flotsam, so I'm not sure why you're having issues. How much RAM do you have? Regardless, I'd still try disabling that one setting and see if it fixes it for you. You won't have blurry backgrounds when talking to people anymore, but I imagine you can learn to live without that.

Oh, the other important setting you can change either using that tool or manually in the ini is the "Texture Memory Budget." The game will let you set a max value of I think 600mb, but you can easily set it to 2000 with a 970 (maybe even higher, but I use 2000, half of the available 4GB).

Archimago fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 14, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

I said come in! posted:

Do they? We won't know until it gets released.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I said come in! posted:

It's supposed to improve those issues, but it's not like a reviewer can verify that, and the game they have was what CDPR said was ready to be reviewed (not previewed). It's totally appropriate to evaluate how the game actually plays, and to wait for the day-one egg to hatch before counting it.

Edit: I missed that it was labeled as pre-release. Why on earth give a reviewer a debug build, though?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

That wasn't in there when I saw the review originally. They waited until people read the review before sneaking it in there. Gametrailers is the review i'm going off of and they didn't mention these issues.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

chaosapiant posted:

Trolls have always been awesome; what were your views before?

Kill em all and let god sort them out. :colbert:

Also I'm enjoying that there are people itt more butthurt over a review than the guy who actually worked on the game.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

Edit: I missed that it was labeled as pre-release. Why on earth give a reviewer a debug build, though?

To generate lots of publicity before launch.

It's interesting though, since bugs and performance issues where the main criticism, and the biggest hit for review scores. I've never seen review scores get updated, but the whole "PS4 reviews only" thing could make things interesting; Xbox One and PC reviews will include the day one patch, and given that's the case, one would think that the PS4 version might be revisited.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I thought this criticism from PC Gamer's PS4 impressions was interesting:

I'm really hoping Witcher 2's "kludgy while walking, unpredictably flippy/twirly ice skater while in combat" movement haven't returned, but the few articles that get specific about controls and combat don't make it sound particularly different.

I don't mind Geralt being slow or fast, I'm mostly hoping he's consistently one or the other, and that I always feel in complete control.
The twirly combat becomes entirely more predictable and manageable if you use the lock on.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shakugan posted:

To generate lots of publicity before launch.

I understand why they give out pre-release stuff, but why a debug build? It's not like the reviewer is going to be debugging, and you'd want the game to be as optimized as possible.

It sounds like a lot of stuff came in pretty hot if a pre-release build that's only a couple of weeks premature has a bunch of engine shakiness. I'm expecting that my overbuilt PC will just brute force through performance problems, but I'd be nervous if I'd gone the PS4 route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu
Comte or anyone else familiar with the lore, dumb lore question here. Spoilering because people are weird about this poo poo.

About the plague in the Witcher universe. Ciri is supposed to have brought it over during her time warping bullshit sometime after The Battle of Brenna, but earlier along the time that Geralt cures Duny of his hedgehog poo poo there is mention of the plague and during the time Geralt is traveling with Zoltan they encounter a plagued woodland village. Just an oversight in writing or am I seriously loving up the timelines here?

• Locked thread