Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Rudager posted:

A nice suit helps reinforce you aren't a weird shut-in without social skills too.

As a software developer the interviewees who wear suits are way more likely to be weird shut ins (or hyper social weirdos) than the ones who show up in shorts and a hoodie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

the talent deficit posted:

As a software developer the interviewees who wear suits are way more likely to be weird shut ins (or hyper social weirdos) than the ones who show up in shorts and a hoodie
As a west coast dev I agree with this. Really reading too much into either choice is dumb though.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
So it sounds like the answer comes down to personal preference. I found a decent suit, tie, and dress shirt (100% cotton) for $95 at my wife's work after all discounts. I think I may wear that. It's a consultancy firm and it looks like most people wear business casual and perhaps a blazer.

I'll think it over though. I think the right choice is whatever I'll feel more comfortable wearing based on the input so far.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

the talent deficit posted:

Well of course it's not going to help if you actually are a weird shut-in.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Rudager posted:

Well of course it's not going to help if you actually are a weird shut-in.

if you're good at interviews what you wear won't matter at all but i would definitely err on the side of not trying rather than trying too hard when it comes to clothing and software dev

disclaimer: i've only ever worked for startups and west coast companies, advice may not apply to weird east coast consultancies or like, ibm i guess?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Knyteguy posted:

So it sounds like the answer comes down to personal preference. I found a decent suit, tie, and dress shirt (100% cotton) for $95 at my wife's work after all discounts. I think I may wear that. It's a consultancy firm and it looks like most people wear business casual and perhaps a blazer.

I'll think it over though. I think the right choice is whatever I'll feel more comfortable wearing based on the input so far.

If it's a consulty-type place and there's lots of client facing, I would generally dress more formally.

Source: I work at a consulty-type place that is very casual (flip flops, shorts, whatever) when not client facing, but we expect our interviewees to dress business formal to show they understand adjusting your mode of dress based on context.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

Droo posted:

I would think it's more likely to cause a negative impression by not wearing a suit than by wearing one.

No suit bad reaction: "I can't believe that guy doesn't even dress up for a job interview, how unprofessional can you be?"

Suit bad reaction: "I can't believe that guy wore a suit to a software interview... well maybe he just wasn't sure what to wear."

I mean I guess it's possible that you enter some weird hive of software nerds where they actually hold wearing a suit against you, but I think it's much more likely to be the safer choice.

Actually, at my company, it would tell us that you clearly are not a fit as you misunderstand the company culture and we in fact tell recruiters to make sure people dress casually. That's true for most companies in software in this city and SF AFAIK. Again: ask your recruiter!

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I would go for something like this:
http://tinyurl.com/kqllaue

There is no way a $95 suit setup is going to look any good at all. Good suits are expensive and generally require some tailoring. Looking like a kid in a rented suit going to a wedding will look far worse than decent fitting 'business casual'.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
Business casual. Khakis and a polo shirt-- maybe dress shirt and tie. According to my husband (who works in the same field on the east coast), in these here parts there's a kind of stigma when it comes to suits. You see a guy walking around in a suit and you think, "Businessman" and businessmen are the enemy.

His words not mine. Sounds hilarious to me.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

n8r posted:

I would go for something like this:
http://tinyurl.com/kqllaue

There is no way a $95 suit setup is going to look any good at all. Good suits are expensive and generally require some tailoring. Looking like a kid in a rented suit going to a wedding will look far worse than decent fitting 'business casual'.
Tailoring is definitely over $95, and takes a few days to a couple of weeks. And it's basically required - at a minimum for pants, and it's almost always needed for jackets too. Not always though, but usually.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
My husband does alot of interviewing for his teams and orgs for a major west coast tech company and the last guy he hired who wore a suit got ridiculed and called fancy pants for a good year. It speaks to the guys skills that he overcame the suit problem. It's funny because I know the recruiters tell people "dress casual" but east coasters just refuse to believe it.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
I just went ahead and asked the recruiter what the interview attire was. I'd prefer just to dress exactly what the expected dress is. As a consultancy firm I'd guess there's a chance that a suit-and-tie would be expected, but hey who knows it could be jeans and a t-shirt.

I remember reading a story somewhere where a software engineer was interviewing at Google and he wore a mesh shirt to the interview. It's funny because I guess he actually got hired.

The suit isn't $95, it's just on 60%-70% off clearance, plus a 25% one-day sale, plus my wife's associate discount. The jacket was originally $180, $150 for the pants, $50 dress shirt, and not sure on the tie. Luckily of the three navy suits on clearance I found a size that fits. But I agree that I don't want to have something ill-fitting and all scrunched up and the sleeves too long or short or something.

Anyway since we held off buying the suit and it's on hold at my wife's work, there shouldn't be a problem.

Tign I have heard that east coast interviews are much more formal.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Annnd.. the recruiter got back to me. Suit and tie. Wow I'm surprised. :stare:

I'll go back and ensure the fit of the suit. If it doesn't look right I have some ideas on how to make this work within budget. Macy's can do a tailored fit within 3-4 days IIRC when I bought my last one. Any other ideas where to look?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
FYI, it's my experience in IT/development that you always wear a suit and a tie to an interview and it looks bad if you don't. It's just about taking the interview very seriously, even though no one actually wears a suit and tie to the office.

Probably not always the case in every location, but that's my experience in the midwest.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
You should have a decently fitting suit anyway as part of being an adult male human being.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You should have a decently fitting suit anyway as part of being an adult male human being.

Gaining weight and not fitting in your tailored suit is bad with money. I've had an array of suits. I have two now. They'll fit perfectly when I shed some pounds (which I'm working at).

But on that note I went without wearing the last suit I bought for two years. I thought I'd need it for work and haven't yet.

We're going to Sacramento this weekend. Maybe we'll stop by the Folsom Outlet to see what they can offer.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

:ohdear: Keep an eye on your budget, though. You have some money saved in your "clothes" account for this sort of thing, right?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Horking Delight posted:

:ohdear: Keep an eye on your budget, though. You have some money saved in your "clothes" account for this sort of thing, right?

No we had to drain that last month for [reason] (really don't want to go into it since it was within budget). I'll absolutely keep an eye on the budget; I'm confident I can make this work.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
On a completely unrelated note, thanks for "liking" a status of mine of MFP, I need a kick in the pants to watch what I eat again. I lost the weight I wanted to and then stopped paying attention to what I was eating for the last month or two with the results that you'd expect. :negative:

Good luck in your interview. San Diego is beautiful, I've been there a few times for conferences and the weather is absolutely perfect there.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

dreesemonkey posted:

On a completely unrelated note, thanks for "liking" a status of mine of MFP, I need a kick in the pants to watch what I eat again. I lost the weight I wanted to and then stopped paying attention to what I was eating for the last month or two with the results that you'd expect. :negative:

Good luck in your interview. San Diego is beautiful, I've been there a few times for conferences and the weather is absolutely perfect there.

You bet. You're pretty consistent with those walks.

Thanks for the well wishes. I've never been to the area, but it'd be great to get out of Reno's schizophrenic weather for awhile (I think I'd eventually move back here since it's cheap). Just gotta hope the interview goes well. If not though there are some other promising opportunities I'm working towards, and I'm still in no hurry. I keep getting more relevant experience so something will happen eventually if not now. But from what everyone is saying it may be worth it to plan a trip even if it doesn't pan out. The Lions are playing the Chargers in September in SD; we were thinking of going to that.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Knyteguy posted:

Gaining weight and not fitting in your tailored suit is bad with money. I've had an array of suits. I have two now. They'll fit perfectly when I shed some pounds (which I'm working at).

I've gone the other way, so now I have suits that make me look like I am 14 years old and borrowing clothes from my dad.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

How on earth would a recruiter who probably works with tons of companies have any idea what people wear to interviews. Whatever you wear, please make sure it fits and looks decent over fitting into a certain dress code.

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005

n8r posted:

How on earth would a recruiter who probably works with tons of companies have any idea what people wear to interviews. Whatever you wear, please make sure it fits and looks decent over fitting into a certain dress code.

The recruiter could ask his contact there

dead lettuce
Sep 12, 2014

Knyteguy posted:

I guess I can say where it is now, San Diego! Well very near it at least. I'm still not counting on this (I'm getting excited but I'm trying to temper that), but I have begun to look at how much it would cost to live there.

Say I was making $110,000-$120,000/yr in that area after all bonuses and compensation and whatever, and my wife is doing something else (she's been heavily working towards some stuff I'll try to get her to post about it this evening). Say my wife makes $15,000/yr to start though just to lowball it. How would we budget for all of this? Would that salary be worth it in that area? I wouldn't even know how to begin looking for a place to live or something.

MrEnigma posted:

San Diego is quite expensive for housing. On the beach? Must be farther north, I can't think of many businesses close to the beach in San Diego proper.

Hey KG, longtime lurker of this thread. I figured San Diego when you first mentioned it was in a big SoCal city. I'm guessing you're interviewing in Carlsbad when you say it's near the beach and near San Diego but not in SD proper? I work in Carlsbad and live in San Diego, have lived here almost my whole life. It's quite expensive, take a look at some cost of living calculators then add another 3-5% as a buffer. Though it's not as bad as LA or SF, the pay is also lower overall relative to the high COL but you can probably swing it if you're making $110K + your wife's earnings. Most households need dual incomes to afford to live here, to be honest. Rent, groceries, utilities, fuel, and childcare will be more expensive. You need a car here, though you can definitely commute by bike if you live close-ish to work. For a decent 2br in a good area, expect to pay around $1500-1600, but be aware of traffic and seriously research commute times. I think you can make $110K-120K work even with the higher COL, but expenses are high. Negotiate as hard as you can for $120K+ because you will need it. The San Diego thread is active and a good resource for more specific questions.

All that said, this city is beautiful and I love living here. It might be expensive but the weather, outdoor activities, people, and food are incredible. Good luck with the interview, let us know how it goes! Did you say you had family in San Diego?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

15k gross for the wife would mean the job is mostly pointless, daycare will probably cost that much (remember daycare would be net).

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Cicero posted:

15k gross for the wife would mean the job is mostly pointless, daycare will probably cost that much (remember daycare would be net).

It's actually work from home and contract hours, so we wouldn't really have to worry about child care.

dead lettuce thanks for the input. If we could get a place close to the job then I'd be willing to bike, and my wife could have the car during the day. San Diego sounds really nice. Really I think I'd be happy with most places in California. I have another interview tomorrow for a company in Laguna Hills, but that looks crazy expensive. The work environment would be fun though the company is in a hobby industry of mine.

n8r yes I won't be wearing lovely looking clothes. I'm researching how to wear a suit, and I'm looking up local tailors. I'm willing to bet I could do some website trade work with a tailor or something. Only one has a website and it's on par with a Geocities website (maybe not that bad but close).

I did some research though and JC Penney's Stafford suits are actually pretty well reviewed and recommended, which is what that clearance suit I found is. I'll also check out our new Nordstrom Rack and thrift stores. I'll find a nice fitted shirt and check out the suit fit with that. I'm finding that being on a budget can just mean you need to get creative sometimes.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 14, 2015

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Knyteguy posted:

I'm researching how to wear a suit

Step 3: Place your legs into the holes1

1There are two different holes, one leg goes in each one. Do NOT put both legs in the same hole.

PS: Good luck at your interview, own that poo poo. Good luck on frugal suit shopping.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

If you get a job in Laguna Hills you don't have to live IN Laguna Hills.

My company has an office very near there, and the people who work there and make ~$100k or less love somewhere else and commute in, from even as far away as Chino! Mission Viejo, Costa Mesa, Santa Ana, Anaheim, there are plenty of places within a twenty minute drive that would work, and more even further.

If you don't work from home in SoCal, just plan for some kind of commute.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Step 3: Place your legs into the holes1

1There are two different holes, one leg goes in each one. Do NOT put both legs in the same hole.

Dammit I knew I was doing something wrong. It all makes sense now...

Haha in all seriousness I meant to say how a suit should fit.

Ultimate Mango posted:

If you get a job in Laguna Hills you don't have to live IN Laguna Hills.

My company has an office very near there, and the people who work there and make ~$100k or less love somewhere else and commute in, from even as far away as Chino! Mission Viejo, Costa Mesa, Santa Ana, Anaheim, there are plenty of places within a twenty minute drive that would work, and more even further.

If you don't work from home in SoCal, just plan for some kind of commute.

Alright that wouldn't be too bad. I have some family in Oxnard/Ventura (the less lovely one I can't remember which), so if I lived within reasonable driving distance of them and potential work that would be great. I'm don't want to pretend to be some fancy OC guy. I just want to make a little more money and keep our quality of life about where it's at now.

e: Jeffrey just saw your edit. Thanks. I'll do my best.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Tailoring isn't that expensive. Just use your discretionary fund or spend less out of another category to cover it.

imabanana
May 26, 2006
FYI, there are tailors who can get you in and out in one day for simpler things. Shortening sleeves, pants, that kind of thing.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
^ I found a local tailor who said they can get something down in way less than a week too for most anything, so that should work. Same day would be great also. Apparently a lot of clothing stores actually have tailors, too, if a local small business won't be able to help in time.

I'm really, really hoping I can get that JCP suit to work. The biggest off the rack problem is it's tight around my upper arm, but that was with a relatively thick polo on underneath.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
JCP suit is too small I think (by a size). I got recommended to Burlington Coat Factory for a budget suit. I'll see if there's any potential there.

Had that interview at Laguna Hills. It sounds way more like an IT job than a developer job. Not sure if that one will pan out. Got some more coming up in Missoureh but I don't know I'd want to live there.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Knyteguy posted:

JCP suit is too small I think (by a size). I got recommended to Burlington Coat Factory for a budget suit. I'll see if there's any potential there.

Had that interview at Laguna Hills. It sounds way more like an IT job than a developer job. Not sure if that one will pan out. Got some more coming up in Missoureh but I don't know I'd want to live there.

If its living in St Louis that area is cool. The rest of Missouri: not that great.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Duckman2008 posted:

If its living in St Louis that area is cool. The rest of Missouri: not that great.

I completely spaced St Louis being there. That probably wouldn't be bad you're right. Anywhere with a football team would be cool ignoring other factors.

Janus Owl
Jan 9, 2014
In regards to the work that Knyte-husband posted about:

After much back and forth on my part and inability to figure out what it is that I really want to do with my life, I think I figured it out. The plan is that I am, after all, going to pursue transcription as a means to an end. I have been studying style guides from an online company and practicing for their exam. My goal here is to be able to make enough money to leave my retail job or, if we do end up moving, I will be able to make some money from home while watching the baby. I've been learning and practicing while he takes naps and I am getting a feel for how much I am able to do realistically with the baby. I realize there has been a lot of different things thrown out there that I was going to pursue and that I haven't had follow through, this is something I am actively working on.

My end goal here is to be able to work from home (whether we move or not) so that I have weekends/nights free to pursue the career I actually want to do. After research and discussion with Knyte, I decided to pursue becoming a paralegal. This is something that will take some time and whether I would pursue the certificate online or through the local university will depend greatly on what happens with Knyte's interview. I have my bachelor's degree already so I don't need to complete the associate's degree for this career. I spoke with our university here and they offer an 8 week program to get paralegal certified. The course is only on the weekends though, which is why I'd need to be working from home before I can pursue this.

I'd appreciate any advice in regards to working from home/pursuing becoming a paralegal

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

This thread would probably be a good one to ask for advice in: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3301274

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
Assuming you don't move, what are the paralegal opportunities where you currently live? What's the pay? What sort of hours do they require? How much will the class cost? What's the break even point in years? Are there any entry level step down from paralegal jobs that you can try and apply for now?

I think it's definitely a good idea as long as you follow through with it. Not to be negative, but from the start of this thread until now you've talked about like 5-6 different career paths and yet almost 2 years later you have the same job.

EDIT: Please note I know literally nothing about the paralegal industry, but think getting out of retail is a good idea in general.

Bugamol fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 18, 2015

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
We have two paralegals that work here (techincally are employees of another entity, but for our agency). They didn't even need any kind of paralegal training, they were hired as-is.

Check out SWAN (statewide adoption agency) if you have them in NV, that's who they work for.

Appears it's a PA-agency. Maybe there is a NV equivilent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Janus Owl
Jan 9, 2014

Bugamol posted:

Assuming you don't move, what are the paralegal opportunities where you currently live? What's the pay? What sort of hours do they require? How much will the class cost? What's the break even point in years? Are there any entry level step down from paralegal jobs that you can try and apply for now?

The job outlook in town here is pretty good, and there also appears to be more entry type level jobs. However, these don't pay well, about $3.50 less than I make now. Would it be worth it to take a pay cut if it meant getting out of retail and breaking into the law field? (This would only apply if we stay where we are though)

According to BLS the median pay for paralegals is ~47,000. The university here doesn't have the cost of the program posted since the schedule isn't released yet, but I will call them and find out. Paralegals work Monday-Friday normal business hours of about 8-5. This would be ideal for our family since we'd be able to have the same type of schedule.

• Locked thread