Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Traffic_calming.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
It makes me calm just by looking at it

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah that looks really good. Narrow road, not straight, and no "clear zone" exposing pedestrians to dangerous drivers.

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.
This place has broken me. I expected calm.jpg with a traffic cone photoshopped in or something.

As usual, American's took it to the extreme:

Just kidding, of course. Lombard St. in San Francisco is more of a tourist attraction than anything else. I have fond memories of sitting in the back seat of a rented white Ford Crown Victoria (nicknamed Shamu) as my dad wove his way down Lombard St.

Fun pic I found while searching for the one above:

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Psst, chiclidae, it's ready.

Except for the downtown tunnel (which I will add when tunnels are patched in the game), it's about as good/accurate you can get using the game tools. I prebuilt all of the exits and

The I-84/91 interchange. A royal pain in the rear end, but it did turn out pretty nice.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

kefkafloyd posted:

Psst, chiclidae, it's ready.

Except for the downtown tunnel (which I will add when tunnels are patched in the game), it's about as good/accurate you can get using the game tools. I prebuilt all of the exits and

The I-84/91 interchange. A royal pain in the rear end, but it did turn out pretty nice.

Can't wait to play it! Did you use the trick to get more than 4 external road connections? Also, don't worry about the 'tunnel,' as it's actually just an air rights platform and I could easily enough just build ped bridges over I-84.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Cichlidae posted:

Can't wait to play it! Did you use the trick to get more than 4 external road connections? Also, don't worry about the 'tunnel,' as it's actually just an air rights platform and I could easily enough just build ped bridges over I-84.

You didn't explain how to do the trick, so... I couldn't do it. :v:

Also, I like that tunnel, the "Welcome to Hartford" is a big part of the character and it feels wrong not to have it. But it should be pretty good for the time being.

I also omitted the HOV lanes on 91 and 84 (and their associated ramps) because they're too short in the playable area to be worth the pain of making them as separate carriageways. But I suppose it would be easy enough to add them later.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 05:30 on May 9, 2015

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Cichlidae posted:

Yeah, AASHTO is the same way. Not everyone can afford to pay hundreds of dollars for a copy of the Green Book... design documents should be free.

Yeah, TAC (the Canadian equivalent) is the same. A different 100-page book on every aspect of traffic design, and each book is $150. http://tac-atc.ca/en/bookstore-and-resources/bookstore

That said, I've seen guidelines based on the TAC for bike infrastructure (specifically a PDF that our provincial engineers use), and they're pretty lovely, so I'd go with the Dutch one anyway.

E: Baronjutter, this one may be of interest/use: http://www.cite7.org/resources/documents/BFCD_ConsolidatedManual.pdf

Lead out in cuffs fucked around with this message at 07:00 on May 9, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah that's the problem, the local guides are well meaning but so not so great when the dutch standards are so much better. It's like trying to become a manufacturer of aircraft and deciding to start from scratch with a little bi-plane ignoring all the lessons on those who have already come up with much better designs, as if they don't exist. Just because we're new to building bike infra doesn't mean we have to start from scratch for the design. Copy paste the dutch poo poo, modify it where it needs to be modified, heck maybe we'll stumble upon a better idea. But you're not going to get better unless you start at the current modern level, there's no reason to start from nothing or experiment with ideas others have already tried and found they weren't optimal.

It's like if a country that never build highways before wanted to build them and roll them out in a big way they wouldn't just sit there and come up with their very own from-scratch concept of highways, they'd get the latest western standards for freeway interchange designs and see which best fit their local needs, they'd probably hire some consultants from countries that have mastered highway design and construction. This is what we need to do here. There's no reason we can't skip the whole trial and error stage and at most it means hiring some dutch design consultants, or buying a 90 euro book, or watching some god drat youtubes.

I still see tons of comments when a city wants to implement fully protected bike paths: "What about the intersections?! These lanes just make the intersections more dangerous!" and it's true, because they're building nice protected cycle paths along the length of the street and then it just dumps into some awful barely painted on north american attempt at a bike-friendly junction with tons of conflicting turns, bike boxes, weird lane changes.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

It's like if a country that never build highways before wanted to build them and roll them out in a big way they wouldn't just sit there and come up with their very own from-scratch concept of highways, they'd get the latest western standards for freeway interchange designs and see which best fit their local needs, they'd probably hire some consultants from countries that have mastered highway design and construction.

You should have told the great people of glorious Kazakhstan! - hosed up geometry.jpg

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Report on the Dutch pilot 'Solaroad'.

It's a short section of bike path that has solar panels in it. Conclusions so far:

- There were some problems with the coating. In the beginning it got damaged by traffic. They are working on making it sturdier.

- The 70 m stretch made 3000 kWh of electricity during a period of 6 months. That equates to 70 kWh per square meter per year. This is higher than predicted by lab tests.

Energy production:

Some pictures of the road:

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Nintendo Kid posted:

NJTransit did something similar on the River Line light rail. The walls along the platforms and some of the platform pillars have unique mosaics and designs for every station, like so:

Am I too late to mosaic-station chat.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

kefkafloyd posted:

You didn't explain how to do the trick, so... I couldn't do it. :v:

Also, I like that tunnel, the "Welcome to Hartford" is a big part of the character and it feels wrong not to have it. But it should be pretty good for the time being.

I also omitted the HOV lanes on 91 and 84 (and their associated ramps) because they're too short in the playable area to be worth the pain of making them as separate carriageways. But I suppose it would be easy enough to add them later.

You need the Extended Road Upgrade mod.

1) Make your 8 permitted connections

2) Change your 4 incoming connections to outgoing connections

3) Build 4 more incoming connections

4) Repeat 2 and 3 as much as you'd like, and when you're done, change all your connections to the desired orientation

With rail, air, and sea connections, you can't do more than 5 of each as far as I know, since they are two-way. When you go to draw your fourth connection, just have it start and end at a border and it'll automatically make five.

Baronjutter posted:

I still see tons of comments when a city wants to implement fully protected bike paths: "What about the intersections?! These lanes just make the intersections more dangerous!" and it's true, because they're building nice protected cycle paths along the length of the street and then it just dumps into some awful barely painted on north american attempt at a bike-friendly junction with tons of conflicting turns, bike boxes, weird lane changes.

Speaking of which, I'm working on a roundabout, and the FHWA says I should end the bike lanes 100' in advance and ramp them up onto the sidewalk. How do other countries do it?

less than three posted:

Am I too late to mosaic-station chat.

Oh my god, where is that??

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Cichlidae posted:

dirty trick

Ooh, that's really interesting. I'm wondering how that affects the game, though. Surely they put the four outside connections limit in for a reason (e.g. pathfinding limitations on the outside world)?

In either case, for this map it doesn't really matter as I worked around it well enough but I may use it for a New Haven map.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cichlidae posted:

Speaking of which, I'm working on a roundabout, and the FHWA says I should end the bike lanes 100' in advance and ramp them up onto the sidewalk. How do other countries do it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpQMgbDJPok
Here's how you handle roundabouts.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Yeah roundabouts can be like this, or this, or this, or this. Whether or not the cyclists are inside or outside the roundabout, or cars have to yield to them or not, you should just provide some dedicated space and signpost accordingly.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

kefkafloyd posted:

Ooh, that's really interesting. I'm wondering how that affects the game, though. Surely they put the four outside connections limit in for a reason (e.g. pathfinding limitations on the outside world)?

In either case, for this map it doesn't really matter as I worked around it well enough but I may use it for a New Haven map.

Works just fine for me. I have a dual freeway ring in one of my maps outside of the playable area to handle any pathfinding oddities, but there are hardly any cars on it, so I consider that a good sign. And ultimately, I was finding that the number of outside connections was the limiting factor in the growth of a city with only clean industry. Have to get those goods in somehow.

Koesj posted:

Yeah roundabouts can be like this, or this, or this, or this. Whether or not the cyclists are inside or outside the roundabout, or cars have to yield to them or not, you should just provide some dedicated space and signpost accordingly.

That last one seems like it would work best here. There are currently no striped bike lanes in the area, and the right-of-way is very limited, but it is listed as a high priority on the town's bicycle master plan.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Those are quite tricky even for Dutch drivers, you have to yield to bikes when exiting the roundabout but they are hard to see in your mirrors because of the curving and because they could be coming from a leg too. Great when you're a cyclist and everyone actually manages to follow the rules, but at least in the city of Groningen they were some of the highest-accident intersections.
e: Actually the first one is the worst, but it works the same, it just doesn't have the painted lane.

Entropist fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 9, 2015

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Cichlidae posted:

The people likely to actually cycle are smart enough to know that riding on the sidewalk is much more dangerous than riding in traffic in the US. On the sidewalk there are pedestrians and you're out of the field of view of cars. I'm much more likely to get hit crossing the exit to a roundabout than I am to get hit from behind riding in the roundabout.

If I ride up on the sidewalk now I need to wait for a crosswalk and then go across a street. It also gives car drivers the impression that I can only ride in a bike line and should otherwise be on the sidewalk.

That might be ok for people who are terrified of riding, but as someone who commutes by bike it makes my life worse.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Cichlidae posted:

That last one seems like it would work best here. There are currently no striped bike lanes in the area, and the right-of-way is very limited, but it is listed as a high priority on the town's bicycle master plan.

This is how they've done it at our university. It's pretty awful, and most of us on bikes just end up taking the lane and riding in the circle. Mostly I think the issue is with the circle design itself, though, since it's equally bad for pedestrians. The one to the east actually separates a residential neighbourhood from a school, and the parents basically refuse to let their children cross the circle unaccompanied, and recommend taking really circuitous routes around to avoid it.

I think the problem there is that the intersection was designed to allow for driving too fast to begin with. 16th to the east has a 70km/h speed limit, while to the west it connects with SW Marine Drive, with the same speed. The right turn lanes on both intersections look more like freeway onramps than part of a circle, and so people drive through them at 70 (largely disregarding the crosswalk).

I guess it's also that the Dutch don't typically use turbo roundabouts in the middle of residential areas, but that's another story.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Cichlidae posted:

Stockholm!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorildsplan_metro_station

"The station is themed after video games, and is coincidentally near Mojang AB's headquarters."

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Cichlidae posted:

Stockholm.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

"The station is themed after video games, and is coincidentally near Mojang AB's headquarters."
I wonder when it was re-done, because video games weren't a thing in 1952.

less than three fucked around with this message at 09:45 on May 10, 2015

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

less than three posted:

I wonder when it was re-done, because video games weren't a thing in 1952.

2008, or so says this excerpt from a Complex magazine article about it.

article posted:

Stockholm's subway system (Tunnelbana) has often been refered to as the world's longest art exhibition with each station featuring unique art from local artists since the 1950's. Back in 2008 the Thorildsplan station recieved a sweeping makeover that took a lot of inspiration from video games. Using colored tiles to recreate familiar pixelart characters, walking through the station feels like walking through an 8-bit dreamland.

Also, there were definitely prototype video games like OXO in 1952 (and even some patented as far back as the mid-1940s iirc). But the real bizness admittedly didn't come until Tennis for Two in '58.

And on the topic of bike lanes, you could always take the UMass Amherst route and not offer ANY bike lanes on the most heavily traveled road of the campus! Hooray!

https://goo.gl/maps/s02BM

How do bikes get around? Like everybody else - they weave in and out of foot traffic on the barely 3ft wide sidewalks. Combine that with skateboard traffic, and you've got a lot of lower leg bruises accounted for. Oh UMass, if you could only spend all that construction money on things that actually matter, instead of new sod in places people will never see anyway.

barnold fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 10, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Great article on "shared spaces" and a rare example of one that actually works. It seems for the most part the whole "shared space" idea has been fairly discredited as it only works when non-motorized users are the vast majority and motor vehicles are very rare.
https://bicycledutch.wordpress.com/2014/06/19/sharing-space-well-in-%CA%BCs-hertogenbosch/

The shared space in Poynton was hyped up by a very convincing and well produced video, even I found it convincing at the time. But a deeper more objective look at the concept is much less positive.
https://aseasyasridingabike.wordpress.com/2014/06/16/poynton/

The real take away is that you can't just call an area with heavy traffic a "shared space" and suddenly it transforms into a safe pleasant environment. You need to shift or eliminate the traffic.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Hmm yes.

http://imgur.com/gallery/EVOuU

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Baronjutter posted:

Great article on "shared spaces" and a rare example of one that actually works. It seems for the most part the whole "shared space" idea has been fairly discredited as it only works when non-motorized users are the vast majority and motor vehicles are very rare.
https://bicycledutch.wordpress.com/2014/06/19/sharing-space-well-in-%CA%BCs-hertogenbosch/

The shared space in Poynton was hyped up by a very convincing and well produced video, even I found it convincing at the time. But a deeper more objective look at the concept is much less positive.
https://aseasyasridingabike.wordpress.com/2014/06/16/poynton/

The real take away is that you can't just call an area with heavy traffic a "shared space" and suddenly it transforms into a safe pleasant environment. You need to shift or eliminate the traffic.

One of the takeaways from our open planning session is that the neighborhoods would rather have some roads exclusively for cars and others mostly for active transportation than trying to make all the roads work for every mode.

Well, I guess that's one way to make a covered bridge.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah they call it "unraveling routes". You don't look at streets you look at routes. I see a lot of people here push for the improvement of their street or some particular stretch. These 3 blocks are not safe to cycle on, so improve those 3 blocks. So they do this, but the project is planned in a vacuum, as if the neighbouring streets and blocks didn't exist. There's no long term master plan for which streets will become the major cycling routes, which streets will become the more pedestrianized shopping streets, and which unfortunate few will become the "car sewers". No one wants to be the car sewer, everyone wants to be the local-only shared residential street. So instead you have planners unable to actually plan, and just implementing compromised street-scale improvements without an overall city-wide plan.

An improved street network and better infrastructure for non-motorized absolutely has a big impact on the mode share of a city, but you need a plan for where the traffic will go. Awesome, you want to make your downtown into a mostly car-free area? You'll need some sort of ring road going around it though for the existing through traffic, and maybe your improvements have changed your car mode share from 80% to 60%, which is awesome, but you still need to handle the traffic and parking needs of that 60% driving to the edge of your car-free core.

What I'm seeing in my own city is a recent push of well intentioned people pushing for these sorts of results but wanting to get it by just randomly shutting down and pedestrianizing streets, some of which already exist as well used arterials without alternative routes. Such a lack of realistic planning will only serve to quickly discredit the notion.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
My city just put in 100 yards of green bike lane leading up to each of a handful of nasty intersections. Nobody who isn't covered in spandex and out to prove something uses these intersections on a bike anyway.

(For example)

The illusion of doing something is more important than actually doing something, I guess.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Stuff like that is ok to do if part of an ongoing master plan being done in phases and with fairly secured funding so people can't just say "this first phase hasn't helped, cancel the whole thing!". But I have a feeling they may not have a master plan let alone a plan to even address that intersection. Plan the loving route, not the street.

Yad Rock
Mar 1, 2005

That's how Fallingwater came to be.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

The foolish man builds his house on sand; the wise man builds his house on stone. Tell us, the disciples asked Jesus, which man is this?

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Cichlidae posted:

One of the takeaways from our open planning session is that the neighborhoods would rather have some roads exclusively for cars and others mostly for active transportation than trying to make all the roads work for every mode.

Was this for the Aetna Viaduct? What was turnout like?

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Minenfeld! posted:

Was this for the Aetna Viaduct? What was turnout like?

Yes. We got over 400 people in the first 5 days, probably around 450 overall, along with 700+ new website visitors (and average visit time was over 2 minutes, too.)

I was there every minute of every day, and it was absolutely exhausting, but we got a lot of positivity and people seemed much more engaged than they would be in a big formal meeting.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Cichlidae posted:

We get that around here, too, almost taken to an extreme. I often hear "when I see someone biking down [main street where all the cars and storefronts are], it just makes my blood boil". On the one hand, at least it shows support for properly separated infrastructure. On the other hand, though, it raises the rather serious issue of how you get people on bikes to the storefronts if you make the shopping streets so unfriendly.

On a positive note, I was at a neighbourhood meeting on Tuesday to discuss traffic calming measures on a local intersection (after a car literally drove through the front door of a business on the corner). Everyone was pretty much in favour and also willing to think about the impacts to the surrounding blocks. I was pleasantly surprised.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

http://www.seattlebikeblog.com/2013/03/02/state-lawmaker-says-bicycling-is-not-good-for-the-environment-should-be-taxed/
Holy poo poo.

"Representative Ed Orcutt (R – Kalama) does not think bicycling is environmentally friendly because the activity causes cyclists to have “an increased heart rate and respiration.”"
"“You would be giving off more CO2 if you are riding a bike than driving in a car,” he said. However, he said he had not “done any analysis” of the difference in CO2 from a person on a bike compared to the engine of a car."

How do these people get elected?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Baronjutter posted:

http://www.seattlebikeblog.com/2013/03/02/state-lawmaker-says-bicycling-is-not-good-for-the-environment-should-be-taxed/
Holy poo poo.

"Representative Ed Orcutt (R – Kalama) does not think bicycling is environmentally friendly because the activity causes cyclists to have “an increased heart rate and respiration.”"
"“You would be giving off more CO2 if you are riding a bike than driving in a car,” he said. However, he said he had not “done any analysis” of the difference in CO2 from a person on a bike compared to the engine of a car."

How do these people get elected?

I see you're not familiar with the American electorate. At this point, all you have to do is screech "Obaaaahhhhmmmaaaa!!!!' as you raise your noodly arms towards the heavens and roll back your eyes.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Volmarias posted:

I see you're not familiar with the American electorate. At this point, all you have to do is screech "Obaaaahhhhmmmaaaa!!!!' as you raise your noodly arms towards the heavens and roll back your eyes.

Here's the Alex Jones video so everyone else doesn't have to google it too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR2UXmTGK4M

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

$150K - AMAZING RIVERFRONT VIEW - L@@K!!!

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD
Oh my god, this field gets unexpectedly depressing sometimes :( Just spent all day looking at roads around the country and I just want to cry. My psychiatrist retired so I can't even really talk about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cichlidae posted:

Oh my god, this field gets unexpectedly depressing sometimes :( Just spent all day looking at roads around the country and I just want to cry. My psychiatrist retired so I can't even really talk about it.

I'm not really familiar with the state of roads in the US, is it pretty bad outside of rich areas? I don't think I've ever driven a road locally that made me think "hmm this road could use some maintenance" and all the roads I drove on in europe were even better, the cobbles vibrate your car but they're always in perfect shape. No pot holes, no dangerous bridges and overpasses, no roads with their crumbling shoulders encroaching into the travel lanes.

The roads I saw in Florida were all in pretty good shape too, as were the ones in Seattle.