Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I don't get the RNG in this game at all sometimes. Tier VII game in the Rudy, fired fourteen times, Hit seven, penned three for less than 300 damage total. It either hoofed my shots to the extreme of the reticle at short range or bounced off the side of medium tanks. It just wasn't going to let me do anything at all.
It might as well just have been throwing up a caption saying "Nope." when I fired the gun.

Still came in the top ten for experience to earn my ten gold, because somehow five people managed to do even worse than that.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

Blindeye posted:

I've been having an inexplicably difficult time getting wins on the T82 and M8A1. Both are the first "real" TDs I've used and I do modestly well in them, yet somehow in my first 30 games in each of them I was below 40% win rate. They're slowly (hopefully) regressing toward the mean but it's unbelievably frustrating having both at 42% win rate after 60 games. Still figuring the Sherman as well,. which has been filled with utterly pitiful games.

But the T1 Heavy. Oh my the T1 Heavy. I only have vents on it and well...even with unskilled mid-80s crew it's fun:

I feel your pain on the M8A1. I mentioned earlier that it was my first real TD, and I too have a 40% win rate. I'm terrible in it, but getting better. I threw a rammer, camo net and binocs on there, and I've been a little better with it. Like other tanks, I simply don't play WoT enough to know where to position myself on most maps, but I generally hit "ctrl" to enlarge the mini map while the map loads, pick a spot that looks favorable, and race over there, using the TD's mobility.

My terribleness is not helped by the fact that I seem to be the bottom tier tank in every drat match.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

M.C. McMic posted:

I while the map loads, pick a spot that looks favorable, and race over there, using the TD's mobility.

While this is good it can also be bad. Make sure you don't race so far in front of your retards on your team that the enemy simply pushes you, kills you and then takes your spot without any team anywhere.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Yeah, fast tanks are a trap for inexperienced players because they let you make mistakes like overextending. It's very easy to put yourself in a bad position if your tank is really fast. Try not to outpace your mediums/heavies unless you know exactly what you are doing and why it's okay. That's something that comes with lots of experience.

I have nearly 13,000 battles and I have very good stats, but I still find myself making the mistake of overextending, or going to a flank by myself.

I'm digressing a bit, but if you find yourself on a flank alone, you should seriously consider not staying there. Even if you know it's stupid for your team to ignore a flank, you aren't going to do much good trying to hold it by yourself. It's a recipe for having a terrible, frustrating game. I still make the mistake of being stubborn and staying in a bad position because my teammates decided to lemming rush the other side of the map.

Uranium 235 fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 14, 2015

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

BadLlama posted:

While this is good it can also be bad. Make sure you don't race so far in front of your retards on your team that the enemy simply pushes you, kills you and then takes your spot without any team anywhere.

Agreed. I have a few maps with great sniping locations I love (hidden valley or whatever it is with the fortress in the middle, fiery salient on that eastern hill) but if I don't have others with me I know I'll get smoked so I have to bring up the rear and look for scraps.

I just can't bring myself to spend a million credits on upgrades for a tank that is just a bridge to getting the T67, which I hope to keep.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Blindeye posted:

Agreed. I have a few maps with great sniping locations I love (hidden valley or whatever it is with the fortress in the middle, fiery salient on that eastern hill) but if I don't have others with me I know I'll get smoked so I have to bring up the rear and look for scraps.

I just can't bring myself to spend a million credits on upgrades for a tank that is just a bridge to getting the T67, which I hope to keep.
Well, you can always use 10 gold to demount equipment so you can use them on another tank. But if you don't want to spend the credits/gold, just use camo+binocs since those are interchangeable. And get the mod that automatically removes/places camo+binocs on tanks so you only have to have one set without having to micromanage your equipment on every tank.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Uranium 235 posted:

Well, you can always use 10 gold to demount equipment so you can use them on another tank. But if you don't want to spend the credits/gold, just use camo+binocs since those are interchangeable. And get the mod that automatically removes/places camo+binocs on tanks so you only have to have one set without having to micromanage your equipment on every tank.

What is the name of that mod?

VV I actually started using battle assistant on my artillery and it makes it more fun than the standard view. Arty can still get hosed and die though.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 14, 2015

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I believe it's Autotelescope.

Edit: This is my mod list, they are all useful.

J1mbo's crosshair. Server and normal reticle. Helps immensely.

Kodos hit log, damage log, minimap. Indispensable.

Locastan's Sessionstats. Helpful when you're having a poo poo run and think it's worse than it is. Also for tracking income.

Locastan's Team health pool. Questionable utility. Can be helpful at the end of a game.

Krzysztof_Chodak Autoaim indicator. Indispensable on fast tanks. Let's you lock on without being pixel perfect.

Artasan Smooth scope. I set the magnification to <zooms>2 4 8 16 20</zooms> so it is useful but not insane.

Battle assistant artillery mod. Indispensable for taking obstructed shots.

BirrettaMalefica Sixthsenseduration. Counts to nine so you don't have. Plays audio cues. Very helpful.

Autotelescope.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 14, 2015

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

Uranium 235 posted:

I'm digressing a bit, but if you find yourself on a flank alone, you should seriously consider not staying there. Even if you know it's stupid for your team to ignore a flank, you aren't going to do much good trying to hold it by yourself. It's a recipe for having a terrible, frustrating game. I still make the mistake of being stubborn and staying in a bad position because my teammates decided to lemming rush the other side of the map.

No, you're not digressing... this is pretty much exactly what happens a lot of the time. I guess I feel like I'm being more useful by at least offering token resistance when I try to hold half the map (or more) by myself. You're right though... it's pretty pointless. If I don't have anyone to spot for me, I'm pretty much useless as a TD with next to no health.

Blindeye posted:

remember, both binocs and camo net can be mounted and removed from a tank for free. So, you may as well put them on you M8A1 now, if you haven't already.

M.C. McMic fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 14, 2015

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
IS-2: Rammer/vents/gun layer, or rammer/vents/optics?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

M.C. McMic posted:

No, you're not digressing... this is pretty much exactly what happens a lot of the time. I guess I feel like I'm being more useful by at least offering token resistance when I try to hold half the map (or more) by myself. You're right though... it's pretty pointless. If I don't have anyone to spot for me, I'm pretty much useless as a TD with next to no health.

remember, both binocs and camo net can be mounted and removed from a tank for free. So, you may as well put them on you M8A1 now, if you haven't already.

:lol: I thought only camo was interchangeable, and have the mod to switch it to all my tanks automatically.

This changes everything. It even explains why so many tanks seem to have me beat on view range. I think knowing this might just drastically change my fortunes.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Blindeye posted:

:lol: I thought only camo was interchangeable, and have the mod to switch it to all my tanks automatically.

This changes everything. It even explains why so many tanks seem to have me beat on view range. I think knowing this might just drastically change my fortunes.

You're probably beat on view range because your crew is bad.

Binocs and camo aren't super useful, although the American turreted tds make use of them better. You don't spend enough time in this game sitting absolutely perfectly still to really use them.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Blindeye posted:

It even explains why so many tanks seem to have me beat on view range.

Yes, I wonder why you, Blindeye, got beat on view range :v:

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

IS-2: Rammer/vents/gun layer, or rammer/vents/optics?
The IS-2 and IS-2B both have long aiming times and short view ranges, so you'll want rammer/vents/GLD.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
TDs got an across-the-board view range nerf, with notable exceptions like the Hellcat, in 9.6. Now most mediums on the same tier will out-spot you as will virtually all lights. Yeah, you're getting beat in view range partially because you're not min-maxing, but mostly because it's part of the game design.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Uranium 235 posted:

The IS-2 and IS-2B both have long aiming times and short view ranges, so you'll want rammer/vents/GLD.

Ta.

In other news, 1800 damage done and the last enemy has less than 100 hitpoints. So of course my team caps out as I click fire. It would have been my second Rudy Top Gun of the evening. Cunts.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
I'm having a weird issue with Aslain's modpack since 9.7 dropped where some mods refuse to work after an install (Session stats, the garage Auto-Equip mod among them) even though the rest work just fine. I've had no trouble with the modpack on another machine so I guess the problem must be local. I've already tried cleaning up my res_mods folder and reinstalling but no luck so far - does anyone here have an idea what I can do outside of doing a fresh reinstall of the entire World of Tanks folder?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

So the T-34-Bark and Cromwell B are worth it, but what about the IS-2B and ISU-122S? Are they any good? Because if they're not the first two with gold is better value in the sense that an instant month of premium is poorly timed, compared to buying one with gold in June/July

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
My experience of the IS-2 has been that it is a lot of fun to drive. And it looks great.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

My experience of the IS-2 has been that it is a lot of fun to drive. And it looks great.

It's an IS with better front armor, what's not to like.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

NTRabbit posted:

So the T-34-Bark and Cromwell B are worth it, but what about the IS-2B and ISU-122S? Are they any good? Because if they're not the first two with gold is better value in the sense that an instant month of premium is poorly timed, compared to buying one with gold in June/July

The 122s is a meh 122-44 and the IS2 plays exactly like an IS. I think a few of the soft stats are different and a tad different armor values but so far I've had no problems driving it around and slapping pubbies. It feels comfy.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

rex rabidorum vires posted:

The 122s is a meh 122-44 and the IS2 plays exactly like an IS. I think a few of the soft stats are different and a tad different armor values but so far I've had no problems driving it around and slapping pubbies. It feels comfy.
Yeah this is my feeling too. The IS-2B is good and fun, but the 122S doesn't feel like it has any advantages over the SU-122-44. It has the same gun, but its maneuverability is intermediary between the SU-152 and the SU-122-44. And it has a little better armor because it has an ISU hull. If you have the SU-122-44 then it will feel underwhelming. If you don't, then it's worth playing, because it's pretty decent in its own right.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
From the patch notes for 9.8:

quote:

Added automatic starting of the next Personal Mission when the current one is completed

Oh hey they're finally backtracking from that silly position.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Hellsau posted:

Oh hey they're finally backtracking from that silly position.

What silly position could they have possibly made to argue against this? Immersive tank commander play to select your next missions?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

"We don't want to give out too many tanks, make sure it's actually a massive PITA so most people give up - but do so without them noticing or feeling that it's unfair"

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

So the next premium tank will be a tier 4 T-28 with the KV-1 gun? No way would that be OP.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Fat Jesus posted:

So the next premium tank will be a tier 4 T-28 with the KV-1 gun? No way would that be OP.

Presumably it'll be as nimble as the Lee.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Didn't it have an 85mm back in the long long ago? I'm sure I remember it being an awesome sniper tank with good straight line speed.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, the T-28 had an 85mm when I played it in beta all those years ago. Pretty great tank back then, a true glass cannon.

fake edit: It was removed in patch 7.4

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Keep releasing poo poo premiums when the only one god cares about is the Premium BP/Caer hybrid.

Hey cool just had a game in my Hitler where a loader was killed, rezzed him. Then loader kill again, then the next loader killed. Nothing like a 12 second reload on that tank.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 15, 2015

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Hellsau posted:

Presumably it'll be as nimble as the Lee.

It's an up-armored version that's almost twice as heavy so it's down to 15,5 hp/t at 1,5 med passability, which makes it a little slower than the Lee even.

But that also means that it's got a, what, 40-50 mm front?

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

It will be like a tier 4 tog but actually good, probably.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Uranium 235 posted:

It will be like a tier 4 tog but actually good, probably.

As long as the sides don't get buffed much, I'll look forward to peeling them open with a Pz1C.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
WG is spamming my email with tournament confirmations for this upcoming random teams thing. gently caress it, I don't want in THAT bad.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

CitizenKain posted:

As long as the sides don't get buffed much, I'll look forward to peeling them open with a Pz1C.

Might have some trouble there.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Didn't it have an 85mm back in the long long ago? I'm sure I remember it being an awesome sniper tank with good straight line speed.

T-28E, so it's burdened with a bunch of armour that's not really any good against same-tier guns.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Ensign Expendable posted:

T-28E, so it's burdened with a bunch of armour that's not really any good against same-tier guns.

For a tier 4 vehicle, as long as it blocks all the dumb rear end auto cannons that is all you need.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

So PINGU has three defenses tonight, and a possible attack. We had an encounter on the attack, since REL_O was trying to defend RDDT's province from us and delay our actual fight. Our clan commander said we weren't going to bother with the REL_O fight because we can't field the team for it so there's no reason to get any of our tanks locked. Fortunately, we had plenty of lovely tier 10s and 9s to get locked instead. Plus it's REL_O, maybe they'll gently caress up.

they hosed up.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 15, 2015

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Prav posted:

Might have some trouble there.

Those motherfuckers. Still flat though, as long as the tracks don't get in the way it will still take a some damage after mag dumping into one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I must have a learning disability. Every time I get lakeville I go to the church in the middle forgetting that people who haven't left their spawn can poo poo on you.