Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kleedrac
Jan 16, 2008

Mii, myself & I

Zoness posted:

yeah but nekusar is dumb because you build it to be a nekusar deck and not a grixis deck, power notwithstanding

Incorrect - my Nekusar deck is part Nekusar deck part Zombie Tribal including Rooftop Storm, Thraximundar, and Grimgrin! It's really fun :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
My Zombie tribal went Sidisi, Brood Tyrant (From Thraximundar) ... Mainly cause the R in my deck was a VERY tertiary color, so switching was a lot more fun.

DeusExIgnis
Aug 21, 2014

Zoness posted:

who is the best grixis man?

is it nicol bolas please let it be nicol bolas or maybe sol'kanar the swamp king

(it's jeleva isn't it)

It's Nicol Bolas. Both versions. :colbert:

(Planeswalker is better though.)

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Zoness posted:

It actually is Thrax, though that isn't a resounding endorsement of Thrax as it is a lament on the quality of Grixis legends.

I want to believe Marchesa is good but outside of Unspeakable Symbol slathering +1/+1 counters on things is GW.

:(

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Zoness posted:

Tetsuo Umezawa.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It actually is Thrax, though that isn't a resounding endorsement of Thrax as it is a lament on the quality of Grixis legends.

I want to believe Marchesa is good but outside of Unspeakable Symbol slathering +1/+1 counters on things is GW.

:(

I've played a pretty good Marchesa deck in the past and it was really good. I am sure it takes some skill to pilot right, but he did a good job of keeping things on the board.

I of course support the use of Nekusar, because Wheel. Of. Fortune!

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah, Mrachesa is cool but really her only outstanding quality is getting sac fodder off of unleash creatures. Which is still a cute interaction, but not outstanding.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Fiend Computer posted:

Yeah, Mrachesa is cool but really her only outstanding quality is getting sac fodder off of unleash creatures. Which is still a cute interaction, but not outstanding.

When I played against it the whole game was a giant wave of creatures almost every turn. I wished I had played my Tajic deck so I had better board wipes.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

My Marchesa deck utilises arcbound guys and stuff like it to make extreme use of good sacrifice outlets like Alter of Dementia. I also use Time Sieve as a win option as well.

Kleedrac
Jan 16, 2008

Mii, myself & I

mehall posted:

My Marchesa deck utilises arcbound guys and stuff like it to make extreme use of good sacrifice outlets like Alter of Dementia. I also use Time Sieve as a win option as well.

OK now I wanna build that - looks cool - got a decklist you're willing to share?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Kleedrac posted:

OK now I wanna build that - looks cool - got a decklist you're willing to share?

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/marchesa-affinity/

I've made a couple changes not reflected in the link, but nothing too major.

I need to get a Steel Overseer, as that card is bonks, and I'm using a Mishra's Toy Workshop as a proxy for Mishra's Workshop.

e; It could do with one more Alter of Dementia like win-con, and that might be Impact Tremors.

Mulloy
Jan 3, 2005

I am your best friend's wife's sword student's current roommate.
So a couple of friends recruited me to join their weekly commander games and not having played in ten years I used what I had lying around and what was .50c or less online plus what my friends gave me and put together a Skeleton Ship deck supporting it by infect/proliferate. And to have some variety I made a mill deck.

After a few weeks I feel they're reasonably fun in multiplayer but I have a lot of issues with consistency I think largely because I find myself not drawing cards outside of the one per turn, but if anyone has any suggestions or obvious mistakes I'd appreciate it.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/29-04-15-spooky-scary-skeletons/
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/27-04-15-edh-mill/

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Mulloy posted:

So a couple of friends recruited me to join their weekly commander games and not having played in ten years I used what I had lying around and what was .50c or less online plus what my friends gave me and put together a Skeleton Ship deck supporting it by infect/proliferate. And to have some variety I made a mill deck.

After a few weeks I feel they're reasonably fun in multiplayer but I have a lot of issues with consistency I think largely because I find myself not drawing cards outside of the one per turn, but if anyone has any suggestions or obvious mistakes I'd appreciate it.

How competitive are these weekly commander games? How much money would you be willing to put down on a card? Do you like Skeleton Ship as a commander or are you open to switching it?

Mulloy
Jan 3, 2005

I wouldn't want to spend more than maybe $15 a card right now, and as far as commanders go skeleton ship is fun but not a requirement. As far as competitive we have a fairly diverse setting with a couple people who are doing their best to have monstrous decks and most having "fun" decks that aren't really about winning.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
As someone who is proudly pro-mill, do not attempt to play any deck in EDH where milling everyone out is the primary wincon, unless you are milling every out for infinite simultaneously with something like Altar of the Brood and a high-volume token generator like Krenko. You can certainly build a deck that takes advantage of full graveyards, and milling people here and there can be part of the strategy, but if you are trying to win an EDH game by decking everyone in a fair manner it will only end in tears.

I had a Grixis deck a long time ago whose theme was stealing and copying, I can post that tonight. If you are trying to steal stuff in other people's yards then Leyline of the Void seems a poor inclusion. Better to use something that can exile yards (or certain cards in yards) on command in case you mill something that works better in the graveyard.

Mulloy
Jan 3, 2005

That's the initial idea simply because I lack any card base short of random junk from iceage and whatever my friends have handed over and I figured if I was going to buy some cards I'd just stick to a theme and go from there. I'm open to more recursion or other ways to make use of milling a bunch, I just have no idea what those other things would be or what cards won't wreck my bank account to get.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Mulloy posted:

That's the initial idea simply because I lack any card base short of random junk from iceage and whatever my friends have handed over and I figured if I was going to buy some cards I'd just stick to a theme and go from there. I'm open to more recursion or other ways to make use of milling a bunch, I just have no idea what those other things would be or what cards won't wreck my bank account to get.

Obligatory "you can play Nekusar" post.

Dick recommendation Sidisi Nauseated Dreamer. Minimally this deck is $40 and hilarious...if you have some money put it together and laugh at how silly it is.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

Mulloy posted:

The proliferate/infect deck sounds fun, I've toyed with making something similar. Keep Skeleton Ship, its great style points. I'd consider dumping the following cards: Contradict (so many better options for countering spells and drawing cards, you really are not going to be wanting to keep that much mana up), Reach of Shadows (there are less restrictive kill cards for less mana, like Rend Flesh), Caress of Phyrexia (I get that you can target yourself with it, but in black and blue you shouldnt be that hard up for ways to draw cards), Dire Undercurrents (doesn't do anything on its own, and the discard effect isnt useful as a one-off, and you dont have enough blue creatures to make this 5-mana paperweight worthwhile).

I'd include more stuff like Syphon Mind for card draw in black, and any of the million options in blue that suit you. Phyrexian Arena too if you can get one. For on theme cards, I'd try some of these maybe:
http://tappedout.net/mtg-card/grim-poppet/ --probably worth the cost
http://tappedout.net/mtg-card/dolmen-gate/ --otherwise its too easy to stalemate your attack
http://tappedout.net/mtg-card/necropolis-regent/ --good way to keep ahead of your own counters and make something of your little creatures at the same time
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Hex+Parasite --lots of utility
and consider throwing in Tainted Strike. Yes, your guys have infect already, but when you have one opponent attacking another, you can throw that on their creature that got through and possibly instakill them or set yourself up to win. By the same token, you should run Hatred. Would you spend 10 life to kill an opponent instantly? I sure would.

OssiansFolly posted:

Obligatory "you can play Nekusar" post.

Dick recommendation Sidisi Nauseated Dreamer. Minimally this deck is $40 and hilarious...if you have some money put it together and laugh at how silly it is.

What is silly or hilarious about playing the same Ad Nauseum combo every game? Decks like that I feel like I'd spend more time going through my boxes to put it together than I would actually playing it, since no one is going to be that impressed the first time, no one will let you do it a second time, and playing the same "play general -> get that one card, win unless someone counters me" game...ad naseum gets dull real quick.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

C-Euro posted:

As someone who is proudly pro-mill, do not attempt to play any deck in EDH where milling everyone out is the primary wincon, unless you are milling every out for infinite simultaneously with something like Altar of the Brood and a high-volume token generator like Krenko. You can certainly build a deck that takes advantage of full graveyards, and milling people here and there can be part of the strategy, but if you are trying to win an EDH game by decking everyone in a fair manner it will only end in tears.

I have a Melek, Izzet Paragon deck that is designed to mill out the entire table. It's the deck I built out of the remnants of my nekusar wheel deck. It's not designed to be super competitive, and, frankly, my foil mulldrifter impresses few. But it's a drat fun deck to play. Everything is about chaining up Wheel of Fortune effects and copying them 2-4 times. A pillowfort/control subtheme helps to prevent you from getting destroyed early/mid game as you wheel/sculpt your hand into something playable.

I've won a surprising number of times with it. DTT/TC cloned multiple times on a mill deck can actually be pretty awesome. Exile non-combo cards from the graveyard and you mill everything and then recycle all of your good spells as you tear through your deck again.

What's that you say, Melek? You want to take not one, but two extra turns? If you insist....

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Since people keep mentioning Nekusar in all their posts, I have a question. I've been toying with the idea of making a Nekusar deck for a while but can't decide which direction I want to take it. As far as I can tell, I can either go for the combo-y style of killing the entire table in one or two turns of damage enchantments and a bunch of wheels, or a slower stax version where you bleed them out with incremental card draw and stax/land destruction effects.

1) Would the latter deck be anywhere as competitive as the combo style deck?
2) Should I inflict something as cruel as Nekusar Stax on anyone?

Mulloy
Jan 3, 2005

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

The proliferate/infect deck sounds fun, I've toyed with making something similar. Keep Skeleton Ship, its great style points. I'd consider dumping the following cards: Contradict (so many better options for countering spells and drawing cards, you really are not going to be wanting to keep that much mana up), Reach of Shadows (there are less restrictive kill cards for less mana, like Rend Flesh), Caress of Phyrexia (I get that you can target yourself with it, but in black and blue you shouldnt be that hard up for ways to draw cards), Dire Undercurrents (doesn't do anything on its own, and the discard effect isnt useful as a one-off, and you dont have enough blue creatures to make this 5-mana paperweight worthwhile).

Thanks! I have a couple of those items (I picked up anything under 50c that said "Proliferate", "Infect", or "-1/-1") What are the better draw cards I should be looking for? I put together a list from various google searches but it's like 100 cards long of blue and artifact stuff and I'm not sure how to parse it out besides "What hurts my wallet most".

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Mulloy posted:

Thanks! I have a couple of those items (I picked up anything under 50c that said "Proliferate", "Infect", or "-1/-1") What are the better draw cards I should be looking for? I put together a list from various google searches but it's like 100 cards long of blue and artifact stuff and I'm not sure how to parse it out besides "What hurts my wallet most".

My favorite blue draw spells in Commander are, off the top of my head, Fact or Fiction, Blue Sun Zenith, Dig Through Time, Treasure Cruise, and Rhystic Study. Mainly avoid cards that are cheap cantrips, and focus on cards that generate value over several turns, or are drawing multiple cards, ideally at instant speed.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

Mulloy posted:

I'd add Frantic Search, Ponder and Ancestral Vision to the list of the guy above me.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I'm thinking of making an Empress Galina deck with a tribal Merfolk bent, and as many Steal Stuff effects as possible.

I'm anticipating getting dogpiled early because I took people's toys.

Also, Homeward Path is a thing I guess.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

Fishvilla posted:

I have a Melek, Izzet Paragon deck that is designed to mill out the entire table. It's the deck I built out of the remnants of my nekusar wheel deck. It's not designed to be super competitive, and, frankly, my foil mulldrifter impresses few. But it's a drat fun deck to play. Everything is about chaining up Wheel of Fortune effects and copying them 2-4 times. A pillowfort/control subtheme helps to prevent you from getting destroyed early/mid game as you wheel/sculpt your hand into something playable.

I've won a surprising number of times with it. DTT/TC cloned multiple times on a mill deck can actually be pretty awesome. Exile non-combo cards from the graveyard and you mill everything and then recycle all of your good spells as you tear through your deck again.

What's that you say, Melek? You want to take not one, but two extra turns? If you insist....

Friend described his EDH online deck once, which was good for a story but seemed pretty silly to play against. It was almost a one-trick pony, but that pony was pretty funny. All he'd try to do is get Dream Halls out, then cast every version of Wheel of Fortune he could dig up....eventually to either deck other players or to finish one player with Cerebral Vortex for like 100 damage then pass the turn. Of course, he ran an Eldrazi so he could sometimes loop through his deck once...twice...ad Nauseum . Literally I think the deck had no actual win-con/creature/anything to do besides Cerebral Vortex. Oh, and donate Mind Unbound when it hit like 10 counters (probably ran Forced Fruition too) !

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

hoobajoo posted:

My favorite blue draw spells in Commander are, off the top of my head, Fact or Fiction, Blue Sun Zenith, Dig Through Time, Treasure Cruise, and Rhystic Study. Mainly avoid cards that are cheap cantrips, and focus on cards that generate value over several turns, or are drawing multiple cards, ideally at instant speed.

Dig Through Time
Rhystic Study (last game, there were two people had one; everyone paid for one but not the other!)
Treasure Cruise
Fact or Fiction (especially with graveyard-based decks)
Ancestral Vision
Recurring Insight

Future Sight

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

logis posted:

Friend described his EDH online deck once, which was good for a story but seemed pretty silly to play against. It was almost a one-trick pony, but that pony was pretty funny. All he'd try to do is get Dream Halls out, then cast every version of Wheel of Fortune he could dig up....eventually to either deck other players or to finish one player with Cerebral Vortex for like 100 damage then pass the turn. Of course, he ran an Eldrazi so he could sometimes loop through his deck once...twice...ad Nauseum . Literally I think the deck had no actual win-con/creature/anything to do besides Cerebral Vortex. Oh, and donate Mind Unbound when it hit like 10 counters (probably ran Forced Fruition too) !

Thats how everyones nekusar deck works (the halls/wheeling part), except nekusar is his own win con

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Aranan posted:

Since people keep mentioning Nekusar in all their posts, I have a question. I've been toying with the idea of making a Nekusar deck for a while but can't decide which direction I want to take it. As far as I can tell, I can either go for the combo-y style of killing the entire table in one or two turns of damage enchantments and a bunch of wheels, or a slower stax version where you bleed them out with incremental card draw and stax/land destruction effects.

1) Would the latter deck be anywhere as competitive as the combo style deck?
2) Should I inflict something as cruel as Nekusar Stax on anyone?

I think we've all posted Nekusar decks, and the one thing you have to remember is this...you are public enemy number 1 and will likely lose a good chunk of the games you play with Nekusar. Everyone and their grandmother's mother knows how Nekusar works. They know you will sit back, play some cheap enchants and creatures and then BOOM do 100 damage to everyone at the table in 1 turn. EVERYONE's goal is to prevent that from happening...

If you are still interested...here is my deck. Mine is built for the meta I play in which is a bit more aggressive creature decks.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

OssiansFolly posted:

I think we've all posted Nekusar decks, and the one thing you have to remember is this...you are public enemy number 1 and will likely lose a good chunk of the games you play with Nekusar. Everyone and their grandmother's mother knows how Nekusar works. They know you will sit back, play some cheap enchants and creatures and then BOOM do 100 damage to everyone at the table in 1 turn. EVERYONE's goal is to prevent that from happening...

If you are still interested...here is my deck. Mine is built for the meta I play in which is a bit more aggressive creature decks.

Nekusar is meant to be played one way. You're right about being the target, so if you play him you need to embrace it. If you want a zombie tribal, there's plenty of other creatures to have as your commander.

On MTGO you will get so much salt. I lost laughing as a guy in chat lost his mind because I was playing the guy.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

En Fuego posted:

Nekusar is meant to be played one way. You're right about being the target, so if you play him you need to embrace it. If you want a zombie tribal, there's plenty of other creatures to have as your commander.

On MTGO you will get so much salt. I lost laughing as a guy in chat lost his mind because I was playing the guy.

Yea...you never start a game as a Nekusar player hearing "Lets team up on Thraximundar" or "Nekusar isn't a threat". Everyone knows what you are there to do, and you should expect to be on the losing end of serious hate.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

OssiansFolly posted:

Yea...you never start a game as a Nekusar player hearing "Lets team up on Thraximundar" or "Nekusar isn't a threat". Everyone knows what you are there to do, and you should expect to be on the losing end of serious hate.

Same goes for any of the Sliver legends. You have to fight twice as hard as anyone else because your choice of commander effectively tells everyone else "Kill this guy before he becomes unstoppable". I have seriously considered altering my commander to have a 'Kick Me' sign around its neck.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Zonekeeper posted:

Same goes for any of the Sliver legends. You have to fight twice as hard as anyone else because your choice of commander effectively tells everyone else "Kill this guy before he becomes unstoppable". I have seriously considered altering my commander to have a 'Kick Me' sign around its neck.

Yea I would imagine that is the case. No one around me plays Sliver Legends though.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Every time I play Prossh and this doesn't happen, I am legitimately shocked.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I think Zur has the biggest target on his head. My Zur deck doesn't do anything and I still get ganged up on by everyone when I play it. My win-cons are commander damage (1 at a time) Sun Titan, boredom, Stasis lock if I really hate the people I'm playing with, and one time a Blue Sun for 57 thanks to Serra's Sanctum and Enchanted Evening.

Anyway, actual content: I'm making a Brago deck. Nothing super competitive or anything, just a fun deck to mess around with. Does anyone have a list? I'm looking for sweet things to flicker like Mystic Remora and Resto/Shackles.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

I think Zur has the biggest target on his head. My Zur deck doesn't do anything and I still get ganged up on by everyone when I play it. My win-cons are commander damage (1 at a time) Sun Titan, boredom, Stasis lock if I really hate the people I'm playing with, and one time a Blue Sun for 57 thanks to Serra's Sanctum and Enchanted Evening.

Anyway, actual content: I'm making a Brago deck. Nothing super competitive or anything, just a fun deck to mess around with. Does anyone have a list? I'm looking for sweet things to flicker like Mystic Remora and Resto/Shackles.

No joke if two of your win cons are pillow forting until the other players give up, they probably gang up on you out of spite.

Also, if you make a brago deck, try giving him double strike for extra fun.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

WAR FOOT posted:

I'm thinking of making an Empress Galina deck with a tribal Merfolk bent, and as many Steal Stuff effects as possible.

I'm anticipating getting dogpiled early because I took people's toys.

Also, Homeward Path is a thing I guess.

Annex, Blatant Thievery, Volition Reins, Take Possession, and Political Trickery all solve the Homeward Path issue. Spreading Seas would neuter it for awhile and give your merfolk some ups. I've got posts earlier in the thread with my Ramirez de Pietro U/B Steal Stuff (And Clone What I Cant Steal) deck which would give you a solid jumping-off base.

e: Oh god, with Galina as your commander you could run Leyline of Singularity for hilarious results :getin: (Mirror Gallery too, I guess)

e2: New Pirate Deck Story, I guess: Last game I played, I stole all three other players' commanders (Freyalise, Athreos, and Jarrod), and later started reanimating/cloning Sepuchral Primordials to reanimate/clone Angels of Serenity to wipe everyone else's board so I could reanimate/clone Grey Merchants of Asphodel to nuke everyone off the board. Stolen Identity can do some serious lifting.

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 14, 2015

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Fiend Computer posted:

No joke if two of your win cons are pillow forting until the other players give up, they probably gang up on you out of spite.

Also, if you make a brago deck, try giving him double strike for extra fun.

This is why I like Grand Arbiter for pillow forting. Happens faster than Zur with my deck.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Mulloy posted:

Skelton Ship:
- 1x Arcane Lighthouse
- 1x Everglades
- 1x Myriad Landscape
- 1x Remote Isle
- 1x Rupture Spire
- 1x Temple of the False God
- 1x Vivid Creek
- 1x Vivid Marsh
- 1x Dire Undercurrents
- 1x Merfolk Looter
- 1x Vedalken Anatomist
- 1x Grafted Exoskeleton
- 1x Nevinyrral's Disk
- 1x Silumgar Monument
- 1x Swiftfoot Boots
- 1x Throne of Geth
- 1x Whispersilk Cloak
- 1x AEtherize
- 1x Annihilate
- 1x Capsize
- 1x Contradict
- 1x Dismiss
- 1x Fuel for the Cause
- 1x Mizzium Skin
- 1x Reach of Shadows
- 1x Spell Crumple
- 1x Tragic Slip
- 1x Caress of Phyrexia
- 1x Dregs of Sorrow

+ 1x Bad River
+ 1x Temple of Deceit
+ 1x Dimir Aqueduct
+ 1x Darkslick Shores
+ 1x Drowned Catacomb
+ 1x Ghost Quarter
+ 1x Lonely Sandbar
+ 1x Astral Cornucopia
+ 1x Dimir Signet
+ 1x Talisman of Dominance
+ 1x Harbinger of Night
+ 1x Plague Myr
+ 1x Miscalculation
+ 1x Snuff Out
+ 1x Mystic Remora
+ 1x Treasure Cruise
+ 1x Spread the Sickness
+ 1x Night's Whisper
+ 1x Deep Analysis
+ 1x Into the Roil
+ 1x Evacuation
+ 1x Whelming Wave
+ 1x Crux of Fate
+ 1x Fact or Fiction
+ 1x Rhystic Study
+ 1x Clutch of the Undercity
+ 1x Moonlight Bargain
+ 1x Impulse
+ 1x Underworld Connections

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
:laffo: at all you duders with people quaking in their boots about Nekusar. He's down there with OG Legends and Kami-block garbo-tier generals in the bottom of the barrel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Toshimo posted:

:laffo: at all you duders with people quaking in their boots about Nekusar. He's down there with OG Legends and Kami-block garbo-tier generals in the bottom of the barrel.

hey man some people play this format with like only 6+ cmc cards in their deck

I think that's how sheldon wants you to play