Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Say I want to make a portrait double exposure from a person sitting in the open with my ME Super and 400 iso film.
I'd set the iso dial on 800, get an exposure reading from the sky, recompose for the portrait and set the speed according to the previous reading.
Then I arm the shutter again and shoot a texture or whatever.

Is that correct ?

e: I should add that I'm looking at the silhouette outline filled with an organic texture effect

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

365 Nog Hogger posted:

I think that's a good thing here.

I think the blue tinge is a good thing overall but it's definitely out-of-place on the rocks to the right, IMO. It immediately jumped out as "unfinished".

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
Don't get a reading from the sky, that will make it darker when you want to be close to blowing it out. It's probably best to use a spot meter so that you can properly place your exposures or fine tune the process, but If I had only one reading to go off of I'd meter the person and then stop down 1 or 2.

TheLastManStanding fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 9, 2015

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
So I've had good luck with the color kit but ran into one snag, with 120 film using the stiring rod of my tank it seems to cause the film to get chewed up. is their any trick to using the stiring rod or should i just use inversions instead?

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
I put together a video that isn't screeching chalkboards to the ears on color correcting dat negative. At least slightly less.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAKDivhiVIQ

crap nerd
May 24, 2008
burn the heretic

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Pukestain Pal posted:

I put together a video that isn't screeching chalkboards to the ears on color correcting dat negative. At least slightly less.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAKDivhiVIQ

Awesome, I can't wait to watch it

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009
tear by Phillip Chicola, on Flickr

Tony Two Bapes fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 10, 2015

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

Ezekiel_980 posted:

So I've had good luck with the color kit but ran into one snag, with 120 film using the stiring rod of my tank it seems to cause the film to get chewed up. is their any trick to using the stiring rod or should i just use inversions instead?

Wind the film deeper into the developing reel. The end strip of film is coming loose because of the water resistance when you spin it. Same thing happened to me. Also try to be less vigorous.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Ezekiel_980 posted:

I just do the inversions, and then pop the up a little bit of the lip of the tank after an inversion set to release any gas from the blix.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

ansel autisms posted:

(from low-effort)

This looks like Portra that's been inverted but hasn't fully had the orange mask corrected for. Did you do this by hand or let scanning software guess for you? Either way it's making your whites look really blue.
I did it by hand. I do like the effect, but I think you're right in saying the rocks look off and unfinished. I've gone back and adjusted the curves to get more accurate colours in the rocks -- how does this look?

Fence by Rohan Bassett, on Flickr

On a related note, I'm not sure I'll bother with Portra 160 again. I'm not sure if it's due to my XA overexposing (this was the first roll through, but the roll of HP5 came out alright), or if it just doesn't have the same latitude as Portra 400, but I've been having a lot of trouble getting the colours right.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

rohan posted:

I did it by hand. I do like the effect, but I think you're right in saying the rocks look off and unfinished. I've gone back and adjusted the curves to get more accurate colours in the rocks -- how does this look?

On a related note, I'm not sure I'll bother with Portra 160 again. I'm not sure if it's due to my XA overexposing (this was the first roll through, but the roll of HP5 came out alright), or if it just doesn't have the same latitude as Portra 400, but I've been having a lot of trouble getting the colours right.

Take the colour sampler in Photoshop and sample the area you're trying to correct, if there is a disproportionate amount of one channel then you need to adjust accordingly. Your rocks are currently very blue.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

rohan posted:

For comparison

I like the sky like that so I masked and adjusted just the rocks.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
So I think I need to take more pictures. I had a dream about film developing (I hosed it up too -- I opened the canisters in the light and couldn't tell why my photos wouldn't show up.)

I'm broken and dream me is stupid.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

what's the official dorkroom stance on Velvia 50?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Pukestain Pal posted:

what's the official dorkroom stance on Velvia 50?

I won't speak for Dorkroom, but it sure does make for purdy colors. It pretty sensitive to overexposure and doesn't have much DR. It also makes white people look weird(er).

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Is there anything that's like Superia in terms of saturation and tone but doesn't make white skin turn orange?

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

nm posted:

I won't speak for Dorkroom, but it sure does make for purdy colors. It pretty sensitive to overexposure and doesn't have much DR. It also makes white people look weird(er).

I won't be around any white people, so that works.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

nm posted:

It makes people look weird because it's a landscape film, not a portrait film.

relevant: http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2013/jan/25/racism-colour-photography-exhibition

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ansel autisms posted:

relevant: http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2013/jan/25/racism-colour-photography-exhibition

cool, I'll get a box since I'll be in landscape land

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

ansel autisms posted:

*shoots landscapes with a portrait film*

:)

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

BANME.sh posted:

*shoots landscapes with a portrait film*

:)

Hail Portra 400.
Hail Satan.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Pukestain Pal posted:

Hail Portra 400.
Hail Satan.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Danggggg

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

whoa

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Yusss

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

:mrgw:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Gat drat

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Hi

Hospital by Devin Wilson, on Flickr

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Those colours. If it stops raining I'm going to have to break out some Ektar too I think.

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009
auger by Phillip Chicola, on Flickr

chasm by Phillip Chicola, on Flickr

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Got some slide film back from the shop, now I'm upset that all the ektachrome i'll ever shoot is probably in my freezer and is my lifetime supply.

Tim-6x7-101.jpg by Shrieking Muppet, on Flickr

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

_DSC8357 by Maciej, on Flickr

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
R3 Monobath developer. anyone here have experience with this?
http://shop.new55.net/collections/frontpage/products/r3-monobath-developer

and while i wait for it to be released in europe, i'm considering buying http://www.macodirect.de/chemistry-blackwhite-film-developer-compard-compard-shot-500ml-p-1185.html to do all the rolls that's stacked up in my fridge. looks to be a rodinal formulation, thus easy as gently caress to use. am i wrong here?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Frobbe posted:

R3 Monobath developer. anyone here have experience with this?
http://shop.new55.net/collections/frontpage/products/r3-monobath-developer

and while i wait for it to be released in europe, i'm considering buying http://www.macodirect.de/chemistry-blackwhite-film-developer-compard-compard-shot-500ml-p-1185.html to do all the rolls that's stacked up in my fridge. looks to be a rodinal formulation, thus easy as gently caress to use. am i wrong here?

Yes that's plain R09, the original Rodinal formulation without the trademark.
Just get a syringe for measuring it out.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Anyone know what would cause this sort of banding? It's 120mm T-Max 400 expired by 10-15 years, so it's not surprising. Really just wondering how banding that specific could happen.

Christopher by spike mccue, on Flickr

PushingKingston
Feb 25, 2005

What a BEARtiful face I have found in this place that is circling all round the sun.

Awkward Davies posted:

Anyone know what would cause this sort of banding? It's 120mm T-Max 400 expired by 10-15 years, so it's not surprising. Really just wondering how banding that specific could happen.

Christopher by spike mccue, on Flickr

That looks like it got x-rayed at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robertdx
Mar 15, 2005

Lens slap
Hello Dorkroom! It's been a long time. I just developed my first rolls of film ever. Overall it was pretty fun and I'm looking forward to doing it some more.

Any idea what the odd marks along the edge of the film are? Some frames have them, other don't (but most do). Each is a little different.

My random guesses are:

- light leak in camera
- improper agitation
- improper handling during loading onto the development reel
- maybe I didn't mix the chemicals (to be honest I just poured dev/fixer and the water, didn't really stir...)

What are your thoughts?