Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
The Dragonborn is slated to show up at the end of the TES6 sequel to "Gray Cowl of Nocturnal" to recount every single official quest in Skyrim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

The Dragonborn is slated to show up at the end of the TES6 sequel to "Gray Cowl of Nocturnal" to recount every single official quest in Skyrim.

Don't get me started. That was so bad. So loving bad. Especially the part where it basically ignored Shivering Isles. That mod starts with having a bad name and just keeps up that level of quality throughout. Seriously why is it called Grey Cowl of Nucturnal. Thats not at all what this mod is about at all its heart despite pretending otherwise.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Tzarnal posted:

Don't get me started. That was so bad. So loving bad. Especially the part where it basically ignored Shivering Isles. That mod starts with having a bad name and just keeps up that level of quality throughout. Seriously why is it called Grey Cowl of Nucturnal. Thats not at all what this mod is about at all its heart despite pretending otherwise.

I've found Novajam's videos to be a good source of the "honest mod reviews" I asked about earlier. Everyone was having seizures about this one and his video convinced me to give it a pass.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I enjoyed the thieve guild in TES4 a whole lot more, especially since it is the only questline that actually allows you to see an edler scroll.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
My last playthrough, I tried all kinds of content/quest mods and came to the conclusion that only Trainwiz's stuff is really worthwhile.

As bad as Bethesda is at writing characters and stories, mod makers are exponentially worse.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Technogeek posted:

I like to think that you're basically scamming the Daedra into granting you eternal life, sort of like the stunt John Constantine pulled. By the the time you've finished the faction quests alone you've pledged yourself to Nocturnal, Hircine, possibly Mephala depending on what the hell is going with the Dark Brotherhood; and given the dialogue at the conclusion of most of the Daedric quests odds are good that they won't be the only ones with a claim.

Given that you've also killed hundreds of dragons in the name of of obtaining greater power, your soul seems like the kind of prize where even assuming pride wouldn't be an issue, the Daedric princes would go to war over you. And that can't have very good metaphysical implications.

This would kind of be an interesting premise for a novel. "What happens when the great hero dies?" Like Charlemagne's sons, but with daedra.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
Yeesh, Frostfall/Wet and Cold/Sands of Time/organized Bandits/immersive creatures are all awesome but once I threw Sands of Time in and ran across a bandit camp fighting a ton of spiders off the game definitely started to slow down. I know SKSE is updated fairly often, any other easy tweaks to increase performance without sacrificing visuals? There's a ton listed everywhere but half of that is rolled into SKSE and stuff at this point it seems.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
The most hard hitting mods for performance are heavy scripted mods, so try disabling those and seeing if you get any benefit.

Alternatively overclock your CPU, if that is your thing.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
Helgen Reborn is not very fun. I need to evaluate 6 recruits who are not really helpful at all in the missions. The haunted mine also bugged on me and I couldn't get out of the last room without using the console. The last one seems to be killing a dragon priest. To evaluate a fresh recruit. I guess that's one way to do it.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Colgate posted:

Helgen Reborn is not very fun. I need to evaluate 6 recruits who are not really helpful at all in the missions. The haunted mine also bugged on me and I couldn't get out of the last room without using the console. The last one seems to be killing a dragon priest. To evaluate a fresh recruit. I guess that's one way to do it.

"In order to test your abilities, private, we want you to travel through time and fight Numidium!"

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

a fight against Numidium would be really fun as an epic Shadow of the Colossus type of fight.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Tzarnal posted:

And unlike the Champion of Cyrodiil there isn't a convenient out for this setup. Ofcourse none of this will actually bear out. Bethseda will just write a generic thing of what happened to the Dragonborn at that means he has no influence over their next game. It'll probably be something about mysteriously disapearing and that will be it.

Sure there is, and it's almost the same as the Champion's. A Dragonborn warrior proclaimed as Ysmir by the Greybeards and aided by Blades, who learned the power of the thu'um in Skyrim and became a hero to its people? Have him proclaim himself Emperor and mantle Tiber Septim, problem solved.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Colgate posted:

Yea it's a really well done mod but that whole premise just really turned me off on it. I forced my self to play through it and it's pretty high up there on quality / execution but the whole premise / training bit just kills it for me (even if the dungeons are pretty sweet).

Honestly I don't recommend it which is a shame. Maybe worth playing through once but eh.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I was watching some Brodual videos and I watched one for the Aesir armor mod, I downloaded it, gave it a go, and I like it.

It adds a new dungeon called the Halls of the Aesir that you have to go through in order to get it, but it's worth it in the end.

The best part about the armor is that it's customizable with various components that you can combine by wearing them and praying to the Shrine of the Allfather (or split them up so you can mix and match again)

Something to be aware of: If you're an Elf, activating the Blood Seal at the start will kill you (this is intended). However, the author hints on bringing Lydia with you...

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

axolotl farmer posted:

a fight against Numidium would be really fun as an epic Shadow of the Colossus type of fight.

Fun story detail about the mod I'm making: The antagonists find part of Numidium. Specifically its left foot. And activate it. If I can figure out how to let them use it like Kuribo's Shoe from SMB3 I totally will.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

axolotl farmer posted:

It would be pretty sweet is TES6 got a new engine where this kind of poo poo is supported.

Metalocalypse
Jul 29, 2006

GunnerJ posted:

It would be pretty sweet is TES6 got a new engine where this kind of poo poo is supported.

Well, give it a few weeks till E3..... Surely they won't let us down and NOT announce Fallout 4 with a new engine that will be used for TES6 as well! Surely!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
If they make a new engine, modding wouldn't be as fun or easy anymore. Also they are not going to make a new engine.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
They pretty much had their chance to make a new engine and missed it. The new engine is much better than Old Gamebryo (TM) but it still could use some work, to put it lightly.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tzarnal posted:

He claims ignoring SI was because his voice actor ran out on him.

...Not that it makes it any better. It may even make it worse. Man, if you can't do it right, wait until you can. Don't just randomly record a bunch of exposition to end it with.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I enjoyed Helgen Reborn and even most of the recruit training parts, but more for the quality of the dungeons and less for hauling some rando around with me. I probably wouldn't run through it again unless I was playing a character that I specifically wanted to take through that storyline or live in Helgen or something but it's been the high water mark among the extra content mods that I've tried so far (edit: admittedly that's probably a low bar).

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

LoonShia posted:

If they make a new engine, modding wouldn't be as fun or easy anymore. Also they are not going to make a new engine.

You're being tongue-in-cheek, right? You're otherwise implying modding is either fun or easy with this one :rant:

New games have made modding communities that are as deep and substantial as TES's - just look at Space Engineers to see what I've mean. I've yet to see a more polished, complete, yet intuitive integration of the Steam Workshop with a game's mods, and it's still only in Early Access. Keen also even integrates some mods into its updates. It's a model I hope Bethesda chooses to emulate should they make a new engine.

In other news, I made another mod - Religious Amulets Upgraded. A relatively simple mod that adds some SPERG-esque characteristics to divine amulets and blessings - the main thrust is that amulets now offer you bonuses when fighting Vampires and Daedra, and divine Blessings are amplified when you're wearing their amulet. Also, Freir at the Temple of the Divines in Solitude now has a shop where she sells amulets, giving you a dependable source to acquire them (which has been a headache for Hearthfire users improving their cellars).

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero

Everything Burrito posted:

I enjoyed Helgen Reborn and even most of the recruit training parts, but more for the quality of the dungeons and less for hauling some rando around with me. I probably wouldn't run through it again unless I was playing a character that I specifically wanted to take through that storyline or live in Helgen or something but it's been the high water mark among the extra content mods that I've tried so far (edit: admittedly that's probably a low bar).

Oh, it's very well done, and building up a town is probably my favorite concept for content mods,, but some of the decisions made just completely baffle me. Like, going to fight one of the more powerful things in Skyrim to train fresh recruits, or the spell tomes of Storm Thrall and Thunderbolt in the first real combat area of the mod.

I do think the start of the mod could've stood to be delayed when you hit a certain milestone in game, since a lot of the mod seems to be designed around having an already powerful character. It's not something you want to be starting right after you hit Whiterun.

As far as content mods go, I think a mod like A World of Pain would fit pretty well in Skyrim, even though it's a bit of a bloated mess in its FO3 and FNV versions. Just tons of random harder-than-average dungeon crawls with lots of enemies to mow down and some ridiculous loot.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

hey guys how do you make a piece of armor add a perk to the actor wearing it when equipped (and the opposite)? I'm driving myself up a wall because I've tried like a half-dozen different ways to do it and all of them have apparently been 2/3 wrong

I'm assuming you figured this out, since you just posted that amulet mod? I'm curious to know how that works. Gear with crazy magic effects on it is fun to play with.

At one point I reverse-engineered the Briarheart armor just for shits and giggles, and that was a lot of fun. It has a little script attached that kills the NPC and switches their body to an "empty" mesh if you loot the briar from their inventory. It was surprisingly easy to duplicate the effect and apply it to a different item. I'm guessing a script that adds a perk to the wearer isn't too different, but I could be way off base with that.

As a side note, my mucking around with Briarheart gear eventually turned into making a female version of that armor set, and that turned into a mod that turns about half the game's Briarheart enemies into women, and then later I threw in a totally tacked-on low-effort female Briarheart follower... but even later I decided she was kind of a cool character, and rebuilt the whole thing as a follower mod. In a twist of irony, the main thing that made it work AS a follower mod was stripping out the cool script that would make her drop dead if the briar got unequipped. It made her hilariously incompatible with every inventory management tool that exists for followers.

- "I need to trade some things with you."
- [dies instantly]
- "poo poo... sorry..."

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
So this Sands of Time mod...I'm in Bleak Falls Barrow, the very first dungeon, and holy poo poo. It's throwing overlords and wight lords and all sorts of insane poo poo at me. In the first room. Is this supposed to be happening? This seems like a cool mod but there's really no way for me to kill this stuff. I like the idea of difficult random encounters, but so far this has been "new room? TWENTY DRAUGR AND A SPIDER!"

Dohaeris fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 15, 2015

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I'm assuming you figured this out, since you just posted that amulet mod? I'm curious to know how that works. Gear with crazy magic effects on it is fun to play with.

It was a pain in the rear end and thanks to :downs: Bethesda logic :downs: took a lot longer to work out than it should have. Magic Effects only tend to cover flat bonuses to existing actor values, or pre-existing effects like Invisibility, so you need to use Perks to get more interesting effects working. First off is the fact that items apparently can't natively add or remove perks when equipped or unequipped - they can add spells that way, but not perks. So you have to script it in.

I first basically tried duplicating Wuuthrad's method - silently add a perk giving you a combat bonus when the item is equipped, and remove it when it's unequipped. Except it refused to work in my game, because apparently while if you alter a vanilla item to get a new enchantment or ability, any items previously spawned will gain that ability, they will not gain any new scripts you have attached. So I'd be loading my test game, throwing on Amulets of Talos, and losing my goddam mind because it would have the ability saying I now had combat bonuses against vampires but the actual effect perk would be missing.

So I basically added an enchantment whose purpose was to add a spell which has a script which adds the perk as well as a dummy ability that lets you know the perk is added. Working out the immunity and merchant angles was a lot easier.

ANIME IS BLOOD fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 15, 2015

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

You're being tongue-in-cheek, right? You're otherwise implying modding is either fun or easy with this one :rant:

New games have made modding communities that are as deep and substantial as TES's - just look at Space Engineers to see what I've mean. I've yet to see a more polished, complete, yet intuitive integration of the Steam Workshop with a game's mods, and it's still only in Early Access. Keen also even integrates some mods into its updates. It's a model I hope Bethesda chooses to emulate should they make a new engine.

In other news, I made another mod - Religious Amulets Upgraded. A relatively simple mod that adds some SPERG-esque characteristics to divine amulets and blessings - the main thrust is that amulets now offer you bonuses when fighting Vampires and Daedra, and divine Blessings are amplified when you're wearing their amulet. Also, Freir at the Temple of the Divines in Solitude now has a shop where she sells amulets, giving you a dependable source to acquire them (which has been a headache for Hearthfire users improving their cellars).

Looks pretty good, I'll try it out

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

Dohaeris posted:

So this Sands of Time mod...I'm in Bleak Falls Barrow, the very first dungeon, and holy poo poo. It's throwing overlords and wight lords and all sorts of insane poo poo at me. In the first room. Is this supposed to be happening? This seems like a cool mod but there's really no way for me to kill this stuff. I like the idea of difficult random encounters, but so far this has been "new room? TWENTY DRAUGR AND A SPIDER!"

I liked that mod idea, but it seemed to be super-duper-bloaty. Like a 700mb mod that is just supposed to add random encounters. There were all kinds of extra mobs with really goofy looking textures and all kinds of poo poo that just made me uninstall it.

Speaking about the prospects of a new engine for FO4; I think id Software was bought between Skyrim development and now, so I'm hoping those guys might help design a new engine.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
I just installed the 2k Textures mod. It looks pretty good, I think. But is it supposed to add like, extra boards to the walls and stuff?

http://i.imgur.com/XkvX5IG.jpg (2k Textures)

http://i.imgur.com/7wUuvEt.jpg (Skyrim HD DLC)

The round posts also went from being smoother like this:
http://i.imgur.com/ZrjFxYR.jpg (Skyrim HD DLC)

to having all these little notches, like this:
http://i.imgur.com/VzdoUXN.jpg (2k Textures)

It doesn't look bad or anything, just a little weird. Is that normal?

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

I guess it comes down to whether you want the building to look like a carpenter did them or some random guy built it himself.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

This mod is simple and looks fun. Going to throw at in for my next playthrough.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Trying to remember a vampire mod I was using a while ago - it made the blood thirst much more noticeable (I remember thinking oh poo poo a lot when I was in town without eating for a while, as my screen started going hazy when I was shopping...) and rebalanced things a chunk to make the vampire experience a bit more enjoyable without simply overpowering it. Anyone know something like that?

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

poptart_fairy posted:

Trying to remember a vampire mod I was using a while ago - it made the blood thirst much more noticeable (I remember thinking oh poo poo a lot when I was in town without eating for a while, as my screen started going hazy when I was shopping...) and rebalanced things a chunk to make the vampire experience a bit more enjoyable without simply overpowering it. Anyone know something like that?

Better Vampires?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
So Wrye Bash 306.0.22 from this post (use the OneDrive links and only install 306.0.22) is getting closer and closer to the functionality it has for the other games (Oblivion/Fallouts) for Skyrim.

I just cut down my 255+ plugin load order to a spartan 195 plugins, bashed patch size 3.9 MB. So far everything seems to check out well with TES5Edit, and I've played for an hour or so with no crashes.

Pretty interesting stuff, and hopefully it gets somewhere close to what it can do with Oblivion.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Gyshall posted:

So Wrye Bash 306.0.22 from this post (use the OneDrive links and only install 306.0.22) is getting closer and closer to the functionality it has for the other games (Oblivion/Fallouts) for Skyrim.

I just cut down my 255+ plugin load order to a spartan 195 plugins, bashed patch size 3.9 MB. So far everything seems to check out well with TES5Edit, and I've played for an hour or so with no crashes.

Pretty interesting stuff, and hopefully it gets somewhere close to what it can do with Oblivion.

Not familiar with how it worked in prior games, so what does this mean? I heard that it used to do non-conflicting override resolution beyond what a bashed patch currently does, is this what the new version now does?

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

poptart_fairy posted:

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Better Vampires?

Sounds more like Vampiric Thirst to me-- I like Vampiric Thirst, but it's not as compatible with as many things as Better Vampires is and so I haven't used it much.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

GunnerJ posted:

Not familiar with how it worked in prior games, so what does this mean? I heard that it used to do non-conflicting override resolution beyond what a bashed patch currently does, is this what the new version now does?

Skyrim can't load more than 255 plugins. You can go through your mod list and merge a bunch of plugins together using TES5Edit, but Bash uses "Bash Tags" on mods to intelligently merge mods into the Bashed Patch, 0.esp file.

What this means is that you can get a potentially more stable game with less ESP files loading, with somewhat intelligent conflict detection.

Really just something that helps when you have a 200+ ESP file load order, since you can potentially run multiple overhauls together with some good success.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Bashed patches were specifically useful for mods that alter the same thing. Say your overhaul mod made some NPC a set level, but another mod gave that NPC a sword. The sword mod would override all changes to the first mod, even though it only editted one completely different thing.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Sky Shadowing posted:

Bashed patches were specifically useful for mods that alter the same thing. Say your overhaul mod made some NPC a set level, but another mod gave that NPC a sword. The sword mod would override all changes to the first mod, even though it only editted one completely different thing.

Well, that's what a non-conflicting override is, right? It's the most time consuming thing to patch, so anything that speeds that poo poo up is welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Everything Burrito posted:

Or that one dungeon that was WAY TOO MOTHERFUCKING LONG HOLY poo poo. It's the one with the Dragon Priest in it and it took forever. And it does that "explore this half of the dungeon, the other half is optional- WAIT SURPRISE IT'S NOT, GO FIND A DRAGON CLAW OVER THERE" thing.

And the atrocious railroading toward the end.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 16, 2015

• Locked thread