Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Greens budget reply: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WWFAGNkZcE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

quote:

So lots of big numbers for the war on drugs. Here's a newsflash for the fascist bully boys, more casualties does not mean you are winning the war. At the risk of evoking actual social good as a reason for policy, harm minimisation is what the point of rehabilitation by incarceration is supposed to be. To reduce the harm to society we clearly need to stop doing what ever it is that constitutes a loving war on anything and focus on harm minimisation. Methylamphetamine is a really loving hard drug to work with/around but what we are doing, as evidenced above, is failing massively both as prevention and as harm minimisation.

quote:

In a war against hunger, what do you do? Shoot lunch?

- P.J. O'Rourke

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

It's already in the national curriculum:
http://www.australiancurriculum.edu.au/technologies/digital-technologies/curriculum/f-10?layout=3#page=7-8
We're looking at how to implement this at the moment and it's going to be tough to get some teachers to get out of the "I hate computers" mentality.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

There's been an internet-capable computer or computer equivalent (smartphone, tablet, etc) in every home since almost the turn of the millennium so I really don't understand where these "I hate computers" teachers are coming from. Does the demographic skew that much older? 15 years is more than half their life to anyone under 30.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Australian radio shock-jock radio Kyle Sandilands attacks the agriculture minister, Barnaby Joyce, for threatening to kill Johnny Depp's dogs. Sandilands, known for his abrasive outbursts, tells Joyce on Kiss FM he sounds like a 'clown' and an 'insensitive wanker' and that he should 'have some decency'. 'That seems interesting coming from you mate, you're the number one clown on the radio,' Joyce retorts

Audio:
http://www.theguardian.com/film/video/2015/may/15/johnny-depp-dogs-kyle-sandilands-barnaby-joyce-audio

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

bewilderment posted:

There's been an internet-capable computer or computer equivalent (smartphone, tablet, etc) in every home since almost the turn of the millennium so I really don't understand where these "I hate computers" teachers are coming from. Does the demographic skew that much older? 15 years is more than half their life to anyone under 30.

I know people who are my age who hate computers, and I'm just over 30.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Personal anecdote only, but of the older teachers I've seen at my school in the last 8 years or so, only one of them was a total technophobe and she would have been nearing 70 when she retired last year. And even so she made a good attempt to at least teach kids how to type properly. The ones I see who loathe computers are usually quite young and do things like avoid taking their class to the computer room for the whole of the year because it's "too hard" trying to get every kid to log in when they can barely remember their own password. There seems to be a fundamental distrust of computers for some of these people. I think as less experienced teachers, they haven't seen the curriculum changing over time and haven't developed the flexibility or intestinal fortitude yet to power on with stuff they don't like for the sake of the kids. The older teachers seem keener to keep furthering their own learning because that's the only way you can keep up.

Edited to add: once the digital technologies curriculum is implemented there might still be people coming out of school hating computers but they will at least have a much deeper foundation of knowledge about how to use them and what's going on. The new curriculum is inclusive of phones and tablets as well as traditional desktop computing so hopefully still will engage computer haters.

Stoca Zola fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 15, 2015

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Yes, my degree was in communication studies (although it was also 20 years ago, so send it to me at your peril).

This just means you got your degree when our universities were worth a drat.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Anyone who says "im computer-illeterate" should be loving shot.

its 2015, get with the loving times.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Laserface posted:

yeah! go spend money on a computer instead of food! no excuses!

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Stoca Zola posted:

It's already in the national curriculum:
http://www.australiancurriculum.edu.au/technologies/digital-technologies/curriculum/f-10?layout=3#page=7-8
We're looking at how to implement this at the moment and it's going to be tough to get some teachers to get out of the "I hate computers" mentality.

As an un/underemployed IT method graduate teacher I hope the digital education revolution crashes and loving burns.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Laserface posted:

Agreed, kill people who aren't computer experts

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
Can't wait for Turing to be built

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Kat Delacour posted:

As an un/underemployed IT method graduate teacher I hope the digital education revolution crashes and loving burns.

I'm just the computer janitor but I have trouble seeing how being told "here's how it is now, teach all these things" but being given no funding, no additional staffing , existing staff don't get additional training to implement any of it, etc is going to work.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Ragingsheep posted:

Where does it say that?

Also, what's the point of basing them in Australia when the US already has Guam and Diego Garcia?

it sends a nice little message that we're the USA's beta bitch

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Les Affaires posted:

yeah! go spend money on a computer instead of food! no excuses!

They probably spend $80/mo on a loving iphone and data plan, they arent computer illiterate, its just not facebook so theres no desire to learn how to do it better.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Stoca Zola posted:

I'm just the computer janitor but I have trouble seeing how being told "here's how it is now, teach all these things" but being given no funding, no additional staffing , existing staff don't get additional training to implement any of it, etc is going to work.

My main problem with computers in education is that schools/students get sometimes literally hundreds of extra computers and no extra time for the tecchies to fix them when things inevitably go wrong.

Oh, and state schools that expect their students to have an expensive laptop to participate fully is just discrimination.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Laserface posted:

They probably spend $80/mo on a loving iphone and data plan, they arent computer illiterate, its just not facebook so theres no desire to learn how to do it better.

Teach them how to build facebook or smartphone apps then, it'll still teach them something of the UI/UX, data storage/transmission, algorithm/program design etc components of software development.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Laserface posted:

"Probably" is an excellent dataset with which to draw inferences about the poorest people of this country.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Eh, I grew up super poor and didn't get a computer until I was ~22.
Even then I turned ouuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuu uuu u uuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uu uuu uuuuuuuuu
uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uu uuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuu
uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

uuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuu u

uuuuuu

uuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuu u u

u

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Time spent on computers is valuable time that students could better use copying from the board.

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 15, 2015

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
The federal government is funding a half-billion-dollar program to teach immigrants Australian values, provide accommodation and help them access welfare in a bid to prevent radicalisation.

Police, prison guards and teachers will also be trained in how to identify extremists, according to the Daily Telegraph.

The program, revealed last night by the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet, is a response to recommendations from a Commonwealth-NSW joint review into the Islamic State-inspired Lindt Café attack at Sydney's Martin Place last December.

It is hoped the program, funded at $545 million over the next four years, will prevent another such attack.

Social Services Minister Scott Morrison said teaching English to new arrivals and encouraging them to embrace Australian values had always been provided to new migrants, but such efforts are now aimed at fighting radicalisation.

"While not primarily targeted towards countering ­violent extremism, these community grants programs do provide a second round effect to build social cohesion which is, of itself, the best ­resilience for any community, particularly a vulnerable one, to the influences of extremist and radical practices," Mr Morrison said last night.

Counter-terrorism expert Leah Farrall said the scheme was good in theory but needed to focus on vulnerable individuals.

“People [who become radicalised] feel they’re not being listened to, so pushing and talking at them doesn’t work."

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Most of the problem with IT education (in WA, at least) is that the teachers fuckin suck. I've met most of the IT teachers in the state through outreach stuff we do, and there are a handful (maybe 4 that I can think of?) that are genuine IT teachers and not repurposed relief chemistry teachers.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

The federal government is funding a half-billion-dollar program to teach immigrants Australian values, provide accommodation and help them access welfare in a bid to prevent radicalisation.

Police, prison guards and teachers will also be trained in how to identify extremists, according to the Daily Telegraph.

The program, revealed last night by the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet, is a response to recommendations from a Commonwealth-NSW joint review into the Islamic State-inspired Lindt Café attack at Sydney's Martin Place last December.

It is hoped the program, funded at $545 million over the next four years, will prevent another such attack.

Social Services Minister Scott Morrison said teaching English to new arrivals and encouraging them to embrace Australian values had always been provided to new migrants, but such efforts are now aimed at fighting radicalisation.

"While not primarily targeted towards countering ­violent extremism, these community grants programs do provide a second round effect to build social cohesion which is, of itself, the best ­resilience for any community, particularly a vulnerable one, to the influences of extremist and radical practices," Mr Morrison said last night.

Counter-terrorism expert Leah Farrall said the scheme was good in theory but needed to focus on vulnerable individuals.

“People [who become radicalised] feel they’re not being listened to, so pushing and talking at them doesn’t work."

I think that this is a good plan and is going to be far more effective at preventing terrorism and radicalisation than a billion more spies and data retentions. It's like drugs, it's better to try to address the reasons people get addicted rather than throw them in jail once they already are. It would be nice for more funding to go to community support and addressing poverty and alienation but this is at least a step in the right direction.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Zenithe posted:

My main problem with computers in education is that schools/students get sometimes literally hundreds of extra computers and no extra time for the tecchies to fix them when things inevitably go wrong.

Oh, and state schools that expect their students to have an expensive laptop to participate fully is just discrimination.

Beyond routine maintenance issues, back when Rudd(?) promised a computer on every secondary student's desk for the Digital Education Revolution they didn't provide desks to put the computers on or power points to plug the computers into - it was fairly short sighted. No idea what the plan was for when the computers reached end of life either.

Equity is a big issue, we have a policy that no computer based homework is set as it is known that there are families that don't have Internet or computers at home, it's not just that the work wouldn't get done, it's the shame the student feels for being reminded of what they don't have. I know at least one high school that has a trolley of loaner laptops provided for students who can't afford their own but then they often choose to leave them in the trolley at the end of the day because they worry that mum or dad might pawn the laptop for booze money if they take it home.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Yeah, that's actually a good idea. I think they're maybe actually trying to help refugees with some long-term thinking but "HANDOUTS 2 REFFOS" would look bad on paper, so instead it's all about preventing terrorist attacks from a demographic that's already significantly less likely to commit crime.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004
Isn't most of the radicalisation issues with second and third generations?

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Murodese posted:

Most of the problem with IT education (in WA, at least) is that the teachers fuckin suck. I've met most of the IT teachers in the state through outreach stuff we do, and there are a handful (maybe 4 that I can think of?) that are genuine IT teachers and not repurposed relief chemistry teachers.

A friend of mine who computer janitors at another school was asked by his school if he'd consider going back to school to do teaching so he could teach their ICT class. Here, our science/PE teacher has been shoehorned into it but at least he's keen and wants to try and do it right.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

We did programming when I was in primary school in the early 90s (QBasic) and high school in the late 90s (QBasic, Visual Basic, Javascript). Talking up teaching programming in schools is like talking up teaching literacy in schools, it's something that any sensible person would take as a given.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
We did some qbasic and logo in primary school, logo and vbasic in high school and then I think we did JavaScript in the elective IT subject later on.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I fondly remember using the old BBC micro back when i was a littley in the mid 90s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G090ju-DpqU

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
I did Turbo Pascal and Delphi in high school

(lol)

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I got to do QBASIC and C# in school :australia:

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010

Vladimir Poutine posted:

I did Turbo Pascal and Delphi in high school

(lol)

I do Delphi for a job :(

I only ever got taught HTML & CSS in school. I wish we'd been taught more.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

we did it all in VB.

our teach basically hand-held us through the entire process of creating our HSC work.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Stoca Zola posted:

I know at least one high school that has a trolley of loaner laptops provided for students who can't afford their own but then they often choose to leave them in the trolley at the end of the day because they worry that mum or dad might pawn the laptop for booze money if they take it home.

Has anyone actually tried that? Fencing a school computer for actual money I mean. I can't see that ending either well, or successfully.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Laserface posted:

we did it all in VB.

our teach basically hand-held us through the entire process of creating our HSC work.

Same, but our teacher just sat out front and read his books. Trying to get vb to interface with an access database was inscrutable for a teen with no book references.

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Australian radio shock-jock radio Kyle Sandilands attacks the agriculture minister, Barnaby Joyce, for threatening to kill Johnny Depp's dogs. Sandilands, known for his abrasive outbursts, tells Joyce on Kiss FM he sounds like a 'clown' and an 'insensitive wanker' and that he should 'have some decency'. 'That seems interesting coming from you mate, you're the number one clown on the radio,' Joyce retorts

Audio:
http://www.theguardian.com/film/video/2015/may/15/johnny-depp-dogs-kyle-sandilands-barnaby-joyce-audio

If you're getting insulted by Kyle, then you must be doing something right. An insult from him would be a badge of honor.

It's a weird world - I'm actually agreeing with something from the LNP. A stopped atomic clock is right twice a millennium, or something like that?

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

At some point in the late 80s maybe year 5 or 6 for me, we did some typing lessons and played Grannies Garden on whatever computers we had at my primary school. I didn't see a computer as a student again until 1995 when I started uni; my first programming class we learned C but we did so from watching someone explain things using an overhead projector with transparencies, I think we only got to the computer pool once or twice for that subject. I'm glad they're at least trying to formalise what the expectations are on what kids should be learning and when they should know it by, because it's been left very loose before now and to me seemed to largely rely on what staff were available. No IT competent staff = no IT classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
I seem to remember QBasic and some god awful graphical programming in early high school followed by Turbo Pascal a bit later. Useful stuff.

• Locked thread