Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

So will we one day look back fondly on Campaign Hillary the way we do for Campaign Obama? Because I'm really liking Campaign Hillary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BOMBINATRIX
Jul 26, 2002

by Lowtax
^^^^are you surprised she'd say that??

Fulchrum posted:

B-b-but she once got fooled into voting for a WAR!

Yeah it's only one of the biggest foreign policy gently caress-ups ever. Heh, can't believe some people are still hung up about it.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
It's almost as if Hillary Clinton is a Democrat and is pledging to do things that are in line with the platform of the Democratic party :raise:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I'm having trouble thinking of who could have standing to initiate a case aimed at leading to something that overturns the CU ruling.

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp

the shadow toker posted:

Given that the establishment plays a much bigger role in selecting candidates than the evangelical base (although it's sure loud and consistent in picking losers) I think Rubio is by far the most threatening candidate.

His biggest card is his youth, and I feel that plays very well against Hillary and her looking forward campaign. It's possible his positions on foreign policy isn't up to snuff, and I guess he has little legislative experience. Both of those things are outweighed by him being a competent Hispanic candidate in an election that will hinge on Latino turnout (for the Dems, in terms of recreating the Obama coalition).

I agree that it's incredibly early to predict anything. For example, Rubio could turn out to have cripppling dehydration issues during the debates.

Rubio can't win Hispanics in a general election unless he supports Immigration Reform. People are really loving sick of it and Obama pushing it has given Hillary a sure winner there against Rubio. If we get to a debate between the two and Rubio is forced to attack that he will lose many Hispanic votes.

Overall Rubio is just way too conservative for Hispanics in every way and form. Obamacare is very popular amongst latinos as is the opening up of Cuba. Rubio loses heavily on those positions as long as Hillary pushes them. I feel the whole police violence thing is also definitely something that is in the mind of latinos and depending on how Rubio postures himself there it could hurt him.

PerpetualSelf fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 15, 2015

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Alex DeLarge posted:

Yeah it's only one of the biggest foreign policy gently caress-ups ever. Heh, can't believe some people are still hung up about it.
See, I really don't get this. Because as far as excuses go, "the President lied to me" is a pretty drat good one.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Woah, you guys are saying that Hillary Clinton is opposed to the Citizen's United ruling? A case which was about the group's right to air this movie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOYcM1z5fTs

Big, if true.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Alter Ego posted:

Can someone give me a reason to not fear a Marco Rubio candidacy? Initially I dismissed him out of hand because he committed the cardinal sin of not being old and white, but he's actually managed to run a campaign so far not riddled with mistakes and other than inexperience he has no obvious flaws.

Am I the only one who's worried that the racists will vote for him in an attempt to prove they're not racists, the business wing will love him, and the evangelicals will bend over and take it because he's not a filthy Demoncrat lieberal?

I'm sure that I'm missing something that makes him just another member of the clown show, but other than the water bottle incident I'm having trouble.

Marco Rubio's Foreign Policy isn't very palatable since it's 100% on board with more war in the Middle East, preferably yesterday. Remember he and Cotton tag teamed McConnell in an idiotic attempt to tie recognition of Israel to any Iran deal. Also he's been just this side of a petulant child on easing the Cuba embargo. Also he's going to Republican it up in an election just as well as any candidate not named Cruz or Paul. He is among the best bets to actually win the election for the Republicans, but considering a field the phrase damning with faint praise is not nearly adequate to convey the situation.

Plus being a Freshman Senator who just announced his candidacy, it's way, way to early to chicken little it up. Give the man time to step all over his dick on a national stage or get opposition researched to hell and back. Rumors abound of skeletons in shallow graves from back when he ran for Senate. Among them are ties to Obama's scandalous friend Rezko. There's lots of stuff that could sink him in the primary, like suffering from the temporary insanity of not believing South American immigrants to be demonic, job stealing, anchor baby having, ISIS terrorists with calves the size of cantaloupes.

Zwabu posted:

Jeb Bush is coming across as a lazy candidate. As if his approach were that none of this matters until he officially announces and he can phone it in until then. Even retaining all the major neocon Iraq players from his brother's administration seems lazy. Yes, each party has a somewhat limited talent pool, but it shouldn't be impossible to avoid having Wolfowitz and the most recognizable names anywhere near his candidacy.

Jeb is being a lazy candidate because he's currently trying not to candidate at all so he can continue to build his silly Right to Rise brand into an electoral juggernaut with ridiculous millions ready to totally not coordinate with his campaign once it actually starts. He's fully aware that everything the candidates do right now is all but irrelevant, and he's still soaking up the invisible primary stage donors and infrastructure while the clown car travels around in circles.

He could 100% implode like a supernova once he officially jumps into the race, but right now he's not actually campaigning campaigning.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Sorry Joe. Thought it would be good thread material. Clearly not up to your standards I see, however.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

site posted:

Sorry Joe. Thought it would be good thread material. Clearly not up to your standards I see, however.

Oh, it's great to see her answering questions and taking actual positions. This one isn't particularly shocking.

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp
Jeb Bush's actions right now are never going to be irrelevant in a general when his name is attached to the worst presidency in the history of this nation and he's campaigning against the wife of what is remembered as one of the best recent ones.

In a Clinton - Bush general election no amount of money is going to get Bush elected. I'm praying for him to win the primary.

His political machine no matter how much money it has will never be as good as Clinton's. Especially if it retains the structure Obama had in place. Obama + Clinton machine is the thing of dreams or nightmares depending on your side.

Bush's machine wasn't all that great honestly. He got by based on the incompetency of the people going up against and the memory of 9/11, but the Clintons are no laughing matter. Hillary will demolish Jeb in any debate.

THE BOMBINATRIX
Jul 26, 2002

by Lowtax

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

See, I really don't get this. Because as far as excuses go, "the President lied to me" is a pretty drat good one.

Funny how that Obama guy seemed to figure out it was a bad idea.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Nintendo Kid posted:

I'm having trouble thinking of who could have standing to initiate a case aimed at leading to something that overturns the CU ruling.

It's pretty simple. A state passes a law that violates CU, it goes to a newly liberal majority SCOTUS, and the justices kill CU.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Concerned Citizen posted:

It's pretty simple. A state passes a law that violates CU, it goes to a newly liberal majority SCOTUS, and the justices kill CU.

Sounds highly unlikely, because states have rarely been bastions of campaign restrictions.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

Congress passes a law regulating political donations, some PAC challenges it, and the Supreme Court says, "Oh, wait, CU was stupid and a mistake, our bad, go ahead and regulate political donations in a nonpartisan manner that comports with existing principles of free speech."

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

sullat posted:

Congress passes a law regulating political donations, some PAC challenges it, and the Supreme Court says, "Oh, wait, CU was stupid and a mistake, our bad, go ahead and regulate political donations in a nonpartisan manner that comports with existing principles of free speech."

What likely congress in the next say 8 years is going to actually pass any sort of working restrictions on political donations? They're all absolutely filthy in it.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

sullat posted:

Hell why even go through that effort, just get an existing PAC to sue saying that what measly regulations exist now are too restrictive.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

What likely congress in the next say 8 years is going to actually pass any sort of working restrictions on political donations? They're all absolutely filthy in it.

I thought you were asking who would have standing to sue to overturn Citizens; not whether or not it will happen. Now that I think about it, though, it's more likely that the IRS will issue some new rules regarding "political activity" and then try and enforce them. Word on the street is that American Crossroads wasn't rubberstamped as an exempt organization, that could easily trigger a challenge.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

sullat posted:

I thought you were asking who would have standing to sue to overturn Citizens; not whether or not it will happen. Now that I think about it, though, it's more likely that the IRS will issue some new rules regarding "political activity" and then try and enforce them. Word on the street is that American Crossroads wasn't rubberstamped as an exempt organization, that could easily trigger a challenge.

Thankfully that's not how the tax code works.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

"A Democratic member" who also happens to be the chairwoman of the commission. It's obvious enough to anyone watching that avoiding PAC coordination is a wink wink, nudge nudge situation, who do you think you're kidding?

Jeb Bush is very clearly running for president and even with his recent slip-up he's still probably going to just keep running his Super PAC and argue that he didn't formally announce and he has clarfied that he misspoke and totally isn't running for president yet.

PerpetualSelf posted:

Jeb Bush's actions right now are never going to be irrelevant in a general when his name is attached to the worst presidency in the history of this nation and he's campaigning against the wife of what is remembered as one of the best recent ones.

In a Clinton - Bush general election no amount of money is going to get Bush elected. I'm praying for him to win the primary.

His political machine no matter how much money it has will never be as good as Clinton's. Especially if it retains the structure Obama had in place. Obama + Clinton machine is the thing of dreams or nightmares depending on your side.

Bush's machine wasn't all that great honestly. He got by based on the incompetency of the people going up against and the memory of 9/11, but the Clintons are no laughing matter. Hillary will demolish Jeb in any debate.

I know it'd just get played across media as "look at that shrill harpy Hillary" but I want to see her just loving rip in to whomever she's debating, especially Jeb. If it's Jeb I want opening salvos along the lines of "your brother was worst POTUS in recent history and you've filled your team with members of his administration, including those who lied to get us in to Iraq. You talk about small government and keeping the government out of people's lives yet you made Terry Schavio your own personal crusade, passing highly unconstitutional laws that your own judges immediately struck down."

It'll never happen though because in the debates both sides make a bunch of bullshit demands about how the debates are handled, including poo poo that the candidates aren't allowed to bring up or certain questions that the moderator won't ask. I'd be stunned if Jeb's horrific meddling in the Terry Schavio situation isn't demanded as being off the table at the (general election) debates.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

The debates aren't even really debates, they are essentially just a series of stump speeches given by each candidate.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

What if instead of getting the justices to listen to a case and pull a BvB, just have Congress pass campaign finance laws, or would it take an amendment to get around the judges

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Nintendo Kid posted:

Sounds highly unlikely, because states have rarely been bastions of campaign restrictions.

Montana? Connecticut?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Series DD Funding posted:

Thankfully that's not how the tax code works.

Except for the parts where it is? You may recall the IRS targetting scandal from a few years ago? Not as visceral as Benghazi gate, but has certainly consumed as much investigation time? You may not recall that the IRS's proposed rules regarding political action by exempt organizations was greeted by a storm of controversy because, well, frankly it is kind of a boring story, but the IRS does have to figure out which exempt organizations can do political activity and how much, since it absolutely is part of the tax code.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Alex DeLarge posted:

Funny how that Obama guy seemed to figure out it was a bad idea.

Wait, are you actually saying this will be the Republican response?

Hillary: "I voted for the Iraq war because your brother's administration presented falsified evidence."
Jeb: "Well that Obama guy was able to see through our bullshit."

Because in the general it will make absolutely no difference that people on the left were opposed to the war from the beginning.

e: Especially if they weren't even in the federal government at the time.

Vienna Circlejerk fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 15, 2015

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

sullat posted:

Except for the parts where it is? You may recall the IRS targetting scandal from a few years ago? Not as visceral as Benghazi gate, but has certainly consumed as much investigation time?

How does that relate?

quote:

You may not recall that the IRS's proposed rules regarding political action by exempt organizations was greeted by a storm of controversy because, well, frankly it is kind of a boring story, but the IRS does have to figure out which exempt organizations can do political activity and how much, since it absolutely is part of the tax code.

Limited guidance as to what 501(c)s can do, yes. CU would not affect the outcome of any litigation involving that. And American Crossroads is a 527, which wouldn't be affected in any case.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
If Jeb's team doesn't make no talk about Iraq part of their debate demands then they're stupid. A Bush talking about Iraq is just bad, no matter what they're saying and can only lose votes, not gain them.

Now is the only time Jeb can talk about Iraq in an attempt to make it a finished deal and have it never come up again while we're still forever and a day away from any actual voting. Paul and Cruz probably are going to find ways to bring it up any chance they get in debates though because it'll hurt him. If he's actually talking to Hillary about Iraq though, he's all kinds of loving up.

Series DD Funding posted:

Limited guidance as to what 501(c)s can do, yes. CU would not affect the outcome of any litigation involving that. And American Crossroads is a 527, which wouldn't be affected in any case.

If the hypothetical Liberal Juggernaut Supreme Court wanted, they could take up just about any tangentially related case and then just make a shockingly broad ruling from it that rules CU moot.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 04:41 on May 15, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Axetrain posted:

The debates aren't even really debates, they are essentially just a series of stump speeches given by each candidate.

This is why we need a series of seven Lincoln-Douglas style debates with a time keeper but no moderator. I'll even let him use a Tele-Prom-Ter!

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Joementum posted:

This is why we need a series of seven Lincoln-Douglas style debates with a time keeper but no moderator. I'll even let him use a Tele-Prom-Ter!

I did L-D in high school and it was some of the most stressful experiences I can remember.

I endorse this plan.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Who won't vote for me? You? How 'bout you?

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Joementum posted:

I miss Newt, he was the best part of the last election.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

lamentable dustman posted:

I miss Newt, he was the best part of the last election.

I do too. Fortunately, his Instagram is fantastic.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Evil Fluffy posted:

I know it'd just get played across media as "look at that shrill harpy Hillary" but I want to see her just loving rip in to whomever she's debating, especially Jeb. If it's Jeb I want opening salvos along the lines of "your brother was worst POTUS in recent history and you've filled your team with members of his administration, including those who lied to get us in to Iraq. You talk about small government and keeping the government out of people's lives yet you made Terry Schavio your own personal crusade, passing highly unconstitutional laws that your own judges immediately struck down."

It'll never happen though because in the debates both sides make a bunch of bullshit demands about how the debates are handled, including poo poo that the candidates aren't allowed to bring up or certain questions that the moderator won't ask. I'd be stunned if Jeb's horrific meddling in the Terry Schavio situation isn't demanded as being off the table at the (general election) debates.
Wait, what? Why would any candidate agree to not talk about something cause her opponent asked nicely for her not to? At best you could say that Jeb will demand the moderator not bring it up, but there's nothing he can do to stop Hillary from steering the conversation there.

I do hope we'll see Hillary rip into the GOP nominee, and I hope it's Cruz. With his swollen ego and how easy it is to bring out his failure, I could see him openly weeping and being unable to continue. He already looks halfway there.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Someone please tell me this was playing.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

YALL EATIN SUPPER AT MA FEET NOW

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

This deserves to create a lot of single issue voters.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Slow night at Coyote Ugly.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

Deep Hurting posted:

So it turns out W. was the smart one, and JEB really is GOB to his Micheal Bluth.

Honestly didn't see that coming. Maybe he should arrive at all his campaign appearances on a Segway labeled "PRESIDENT", accompanied by "The Final Countdown" as his official theme song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

I demand to be taken seriously.

• Locked thread