Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > May Chat Thread: Self-Surgery and Self-Medication

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah peroxide has worked great for me for all kinds of different wounds.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Phone posted:

these people are going to make a loving mint

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vGcH0Bk3hg
Holy....
You ain't kidding.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Peroxide is how my buddy got MRSA and almost lost a leg and his balls :v: The wound was fine up until he poured it on there, and docs said it would have healed if he had never used it. Instead, it killed the good bacteria and that poo poo went crazy.

2" long scratch on his shin, to a skin graft that goes from his taint to his ankle.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
e: ^^^ jesus christ :gonk:

CommieGIR posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > May Chat Thread: Self-Surgery and Self-Medication

I'll take it over the internet connection cock comparison from last month and the AI Thunderdome slugfest this month :newlol:

kastein fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 15, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah peroxide is really bad for open wounds. I used to make my own peroxide/baking soda tooth scrub and it hosed up part of my gums. My dentist went apeshit on me for doing it.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Ozmiander posted:

How do foreign citizens get handled when injured in a country with government run "free" health care? Do they just get a $0 invoice and sent on their way, or do they get billed and somehow held responsible for it in their home country?

Here in NZ, tourists are fully covered for injuries received while here. Break your arm while mountain biking? Covered. Car accident? Covered. Slip over while drunk as gently caress and sprain your ankle? Covered. No dollars down at all, unless you happen to turn up at a private accident & emergency clinic, some of those charge but we're talking NZ$40-$80 tops and many of them don't charge at all for ACC covered visits. I think there's a $5 charge per medication if you get a prescription. Everyone pays those tho, and in most cases you're going to end up in a state hospital where there will be no charges at all. This is because at some point, most tourists actually contribute - ACC is funded in part from levies on fuel, so if you rent a car, or ride a bus or whatever, in some small way you've paid into the ACC scheme. Businesses pay ACC levies, so if you spend any money while you're here, you indirectly paid into the scheme.

Because it's a no fault system however, it means you don't get to sue the drunk driver who crashed into you or the bungy operator who didn't strap you in tight enough. Drunk driver would get criminal charges and the bungy operator would get a visit from the health and safety people and possibly fined or maybe even charged in the case of negligence tho. On the plus side, you can't get sued either.

Illness however isn't covered. Get the flu and need treatment? You'll be paying full whack. Turn up on holiday pregnant and have your baby here? Oh you better believe they'll be charging you, but collecting can be a massive pain, this story was in the papers just this week about how Johnny Foreigner owes the public purse a hundred million bucks. Decent travel insurance would cover that for you though.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

Peroxide is how my buddy got MRSA and almost lost a leg and his balls :v: The wound was fine up until he poured it on there, and docs said it would have healed if he had never used it. Instead, it killed the good bacteria and that poo poo went crazy.

2" long scratch on his shin, to a skin graft that goes from his taint to his ankle.

What the hell did he do, pour it on three times a day? You only need to use that poo poo once.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Jesus Christ you guys

Also don't be a bunch of cheap fucks, buy some proper antiseptic and don't use peroxide. Peroxide actually prevents proper healing and promotes the formation of scar tissue.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
But how else are chicks supposed to know how rugged and field-hardened I am? :nsamad:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I dunno, stop shaving and buy a motorcycle I guess?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
America: Medical Care so expensive, Its cheaper to do it yourself.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

MrChips posted:

Jesus Christ you guys

Also don't be a bunch of cheap fucks, buy some proper antiseptic and don't use peroxide. Peroxide actually prevents proper healing and promotes the formation of scar tissue.

Wait, people put it on wounds? I thought you were supposed to drink the poo poo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CommieGIR posted:

America: Medical Care so expensive, Its cheaper to do it yourself.

I once had this lump of scar tissue that got irritated and after two weeks of it itching and me scratching it it had swollen up to about the width of a quarter and was protruding off my chest like a small mountain. I heated a needle with a lighter, dipped it in alcohol and stabbed the lump and SPLORCH out came the nastiest poo poo you ever did see or smell.

Hospital probably would have charged me $2500 for that.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Phone posted:

But how else are chicks supposed to know how rugged and field-hardened I am? :nsamad:

Certainly not because of anything posted on an internet car forum, possibly the worst place to attempt to impress women. Also: it's not proof of being rugged or field hardened when it literally hurts less than getting cut in the first place, it's just expedient as a broke rear end in a top hat.

Last time I did this was when I had like 200 bucks to my name and no health insurance. No loving way did I need an ER bill. And with an incredibly statistically significant sampleset of N=6, I can say that back alley self surgery has outdone ER repairs, which quite clearly means this is true for all situations ever, bar none.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

leica posted:

What the hell did he do, pour it on three times a day? You only need to use that poo poo once.

Nope. Once. It happened while we were in port, and our first day underway he poured it on there. Three hours later couldn't use his leg, and it went from there.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Rhyno posted:

I once had this lump of scar tissue that got irritated and after two weeks of it itching and me scratching it it had swollen up to about the width of a quarter and was protruding off my chest like a small mountain. I heated a needle with a lighter, dipped it in alcohol and stabbed the lump and SPLORCH out came the nastiest poo poo you ever did see or smell.

Hospital probably would have charged me $2500 for that.

I had to get some weird lump on my hand lanced/drained a few years back.

Wound up being $250 at an urgent care clinic. And painful as all gently caress, I'm pretty sure the anesthetic hurt more than just sitting through the pain of it being drained/stitched, that poo poo hurt bad. When I tried to sit up, that paper crap they put on the bed was stuck to me, thanks to all the sweat (I sweat like a pig when I'm anxious and/or in a lot of pain).

I think it was a spider bite of some kind, I'd been walking around with it until it got to where I couldn't move my thumb. Didn't really regain full use of my thumb for about a month.

And yeah, the smell was horrific. The doctor was dry-heaving with me. :haw:

kastein posted:

Last time I did this was when I had like 200 bucks to my name and no health insurance. No loving way did I need an ER bill.

You uh, do know that most hospitals have some form of charity care, right? It takes a bit of paperwork to get it approved (usually your last tax return and maybe a recent bank statement), but it is a thing, and it's something I've managed to get a bill wiped out with before.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
These days I get random pimple-like objects on my shoulders or legs every few months. I keep a box of sewing needles and a lighter in the bathroom at all times.

Edit: In case some have forgotten, I drilled a hole in my own finger last year to relieve the pressure and posted the pic here for all to see! I have no problem putting holes in myself.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 15, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Phone posted:

these people are going to make a loving mint

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vGcH0Bk3hg

Holy poo poo! I mean literally, that was awesome, and then they tossed it into the water and it took off. I said "Holy poo poo!' out loud.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

some texas redneck posted:

You uh, do know that most hospitals have some form of charity care, right? It takes a bit of paperwork to get it approved (usually your last tax return and maybe a recent bank statement), but it is a thing, and it's something I've managed to get a bill wiped out with before.

I have a massive hangup with accepting any kind of help or charity, even if I need it. Just plain can't bring myself to.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

MrChips posted:

Jesus Christ you guys

Vodka. Pour it on he wounds, in your mouth, back on the wounds, pass it to your friend to drink while you operate on yourself. Its a party.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Preoptopus posted:

Vodka. Pour it on he wounds, in your mouth, back on the wounds, pass it to your friend to drink while you operate on yourself. Its a party.

I wasn't sure you were actually from Wisconsin till you posted this.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Preoptopus posted:

Came here to post this. Vodka is for everything.

Torn Quad Jones
Nov 2, 2011
Just got back from fury road. Its all the mad max and post apocalyptic themes I love. joes pseudo religion the chrome paint huffing all brilliant also never knew winching out of the mud could be so tense and dramatic. Really would love to see more of gastown and the bullet farm and tom hardy being max did not take me out of the movie really nailed the way mel gibson played it in the original 3 . Dat war rig do :swoon:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mini rant.

Had not one, but two deliveries, to a former workplace. Frontier's call center/NOC.

The first delivery? Waited about 15 minutes, but got a good tip ($25 on a $150 order), and it was my 2nd delivery of the day. The guard actually remembered me somewhat, even though it's been 2 years since I worked there. It was some kind of manager who ordered, and she was extremely apologetic about the wait. I don't mind the wait as long as you acknowledge you made me wait, though it did make my next delivery about 10 minutes late (it was sitting in the car while I waited).

The second? Waited almost 20 minutes for the guy (I was actually on my way out the door to go back to the store when he finally appeared from the call center). He hits me with a $100 bill.

ARE YOU loving SERIOUS? You're old enough to know that no delivery guy/girl carries change for that poo poo, and we got popped with a fake bill a few days ago on top of that (thank gently caress it wasn't me, and thank gently caress it was only a $20). I had made drat good money today, and actually had a healthy amount of cash in the car, but not enough to make change for his order unless he wanted to give me a $17 tip. So he goes back up to the call center, claiming to see if he could find someone that had enough cash to break it. I told him I could take a check or card, but there's no way I could break a $100 bill. The only way I could break it would be to go back to the store and get change, and the guard said he wasn't allowed to hold anything valuable at the desk, so I'd have to wait for the guy to come down (again).

5 more minutes later, I get a text on my cell from him (he had my # since I had to call him 5 times to get him to come down). "Can you cancel the order? Can't find change, and had to log back in" (I'm guessing he'd logged into break mode on his phone to come down to meet me; they're super anal about break times and how much time you spend in each mode per day). :fuckoff:

Wound up missing classes tonight, partly because of that poo poo - his order came out of the oven 5 minutes before I was scheduled off (and I was the only driver at the time), then I spent over 20 minutes at Frontier, then had to drive back to the store with the rejected order (I didn't actually clock out until 4:40, thanks to a corporate visit tying up the boss), then got stuck in horrible traffic trying to get to class. I only got 2 hours of sleep last night, and kept falling asleep in bumper to bumper traffic before I even got out of Plano, so I wound up finding a parking lot, sleeping in my car for a bit with the a/c running/engine idling, then driving home, making GBS threads up the forums a bit, then passing out until about 30 minutes ago. I'm used to 4-5 hours of sleep a night, as long as I can catch up at least twice a week - though thanks to last night, I was counting on being able to nap in my car for at least an hour before heading to class today. Didn't work that way. :sigh:

Best part? I got a text from my boss when he was closing a bit ago, asking if I was sure I put all my cash in the drawer when I cashed myself in (a few drivers are trusted to handle store cash, including cashing themselves and others in - I'm one of those). Turns out he had taken cash out for something or other earlier in the day (I'm going to assume he took a couple of deliveries after I left), and forgot about the cash in his pocket. (I miss the Super Milk Chan "YOU DUMBASS" smile now). My answer to that was "remind me to give you a lot of poo poo tomorrow"; for some reason I never got a reply. :v:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 15, 2015

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Bourbon.

SoWo tomorrow and its a Friday so I'm doing the least amount possible. Hooking a buddy up with the West Marine discount for what would be 1200$ worth of paint retail and he's footing me half the difference. Also need to test the freshwater system and install the new slideout awning before my buddy leaves to take the RV up. Sloughing off work around 5 to head up there, about a 1.3 hour drive, and calling out Saturday. Hopefully they don't fire me but at this point, gently caress em, got a new job that I'm starting on the 1st and I've had this planned for awhile and I couldn't even have asked off on this day if I had made it a stipulation of my employment here 2 months ago.. Enjoy your "summer prep sale," you fucks!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
All this med chat makes me depressed. I just want a nice garage to build stupid cars, weld and machine things.... Is that to much to ask for
Oh wait... Land prices are loving astronomical. :sigh:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Oh wait... Land prices are loving astronomical. :sigh:

Not in Indiana.

I mean yeah, there's toxic waste but who cares about that when you have concrete to protect you?

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Torn Quad Jones posted:

Just got back from fury road. Its all the mad max and post apocalyptic themes I love. joes pseudo religion the chrome paint huffing all brilliant also never knew winching out of the mud could be so tense and dramatic. Really would love to see more of gastown and the bullet farm and tom hardy being max did not take me out of the movie really nailed the way mel gibson played it in the original 3 . Dat war rig do :swoon:

FURY ROAD. Just got back from the theater. So loving good. I literally had to sit in the parking lot of the theater for 10+ minutes after the movie to decompress. Go see this guys, and just a reminder, it's George Miller (the original 3 MM movies) directing, and they created ~150 cars for this movie, and VERY little of it is CGI. There wasn't a single time during this movie where I was like "Physics/Cars/Terrain/ETC doesn't work like that!"

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

drat the Crown Vic likes to break its rear end loose in the rain. I had an rear end in a top hat-puckering moment leaving the grocery store when I did my usual "gun it as you swing out the driveway" routine.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Adiabatic posted:

Really though, let's get back to the important questions...

Like what in the hell do you call a double decker 59 Fleetwood? A Caddi-stack or a stack-illac?

I wish there were a walk through of every car in that film. Some of them were incredibly cool and there were so many little touches on them all.

:allears:

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

88h88 posted:

I wish there were a walk through of every car in that film. Some of them were incredibly cool and there were so many little touches on them all.

may your wish be granted (sortof)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zgkawcew2u8

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I just got back from that too. Rad as gently caress.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Well poo poo. B.B. King has died.

:smith:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Damnit, I've no nearby friends, a anyone I know who'd want to see fury road is hundreds of miles away and there's a kids party this weekend.

Wonder if I can weasel out of the party and see if there's any of my mates up in Leeds who want to go see?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Well gently caress man, gonna rock blues all day tomorrow.

Gonna go see the movie tomorrow alone if I have to, gotta work Sat so not like I can go out hard anyway. (although it didnt stop me the other night)

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Rhyno posted:

Not in Indiana.

I mean yeah, there's toxic waste but who cares about that when you have concrete to protect you?

Its Indiana.... And it sounds like people from Indiana are bat poo poo crazy.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

88h88 posted:

there were so many little touches on them all.

The shoe-sizer as a pedal was the one that got me as a "hey-wait-what-was-that?.... OOOOH!"

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
Welp, my weekend get-away plans fell through and I get to stay home with the arts festival surrounding my home. Haven't been to a movie theater since Star Trek in 2009, but I may break the streak this weekend to see 2-D Fury Road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M-E5wm_Fs8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Installed a nightly update to my phone (Cyanogenmod), it keeps doing the notification sound over and over for about 10 minutes unless I wake it up and swipe the voicemail notification away (it shows it even if I don't have a VM), then stops for an bit. Seriously want to throw it through a wall about now.

Looks like I get to use a good old fashioned alarm clock. Which is good, I always sleep through the alarms on the phone. My "real" alarm clock is older than some of the people posting in here (I think I got it as a birthday gift in 1993?), and if you stare at it funny it starts beeping. There's no "oh, I see you hit the snooze button, would you like that to last 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, or 90 minutes" poo poo that you see on newer alarm clocks, it just gives you 5 minutes every time you hit snooze. And only 5 minutes, no matter how many times you hit snooze.

• Locked thread