Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Hey, folks! Breaking News! Just listened to Dan's exit interview and guess what? Every single thing we're critical of Dan for is all the fault of the editors who were out to get him from the beginning. And Dan's "pissed" at Rob and others for not having his back because they "know how the editors are."

Oh yeah, "misandry" gets dropped because its the real crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Pinterest Mom posted:

winvirus ran a game like that. It went very well and was lots of fun for everyone.

I still get flashbacks

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Binary Logic posted:

What's odd to me is that Dan works for USPS and they do have 'Respect In the Workplace' training.
http://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2012/pb22341/html/info_003.htm

But after seeing him in action, I expect that Dan refused to attend the training sessions by claiming he doesn't need to learn anything about himself or change in any way.
You must not know or have worked around many USPS employees. Despite them being paid a pretty cushy paycheck for a mundane task that has really outlived it's usefulness in today's information age, by and large postal workers are the largest group of depressed people I've ever been in contact with.

I've run across many "Dans" in that arm of logistics. They seem to take great fondness wallowing in a constant state of dysthymia, finding joy in absolutely nothing along with all of the social graces as a festering pile of garbage. I'm not categorizing all postal workers that way but I'm sure we've all come in contact with a "Dan" running his/her postal route or the drones we encounter at the Post Office running the sales counter at some part of our lives. The term "going postal", while a stereotype, exists because there is a small ring of truth to it.

Also, remember Dan was adopted so that justifies his loathsomeness even more. :rolleyes:

Robnoxious fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 14, 2015

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Of the hundreds of "What if Survivor did this..." ideas I've seen in these threads, all of them (including mine) are so terrible.

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
Highlight of Dan's exit interview calling RHAP's Female Voices roundtable a 'Special Emergency Man-Hating Podcast'

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Pinterest Mom posted:

winvirus ran a game like that. It went very well and was lots of fun for everyone.

the more i hear about it the more it sounds like i was lucky that i was too busy to join.

also jesus christ, dan. i take back what i said earlier. if it was between him and rodney winning i'd rather it be rod.

is will the biggest goat ever? i literally cannot see anyone voting for him for any reason. do you think he's aware of this? i want to see him in the finals just to see how he explains that he deserves to win and also what everyone else says to him.

Adus fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 14, 2015

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

Red_Museum posted:

Highlight of Dan's exit interview calling RHAP's Female Voices roundtable a 'Special Emergency Man-Hating Podcast'
Man, I'm actually looking forward to the reunion.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Dan's Ponderosa video was absolute gold.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
and if you haven't gotten enough of Rodney's Whining and Entitlement, have a secret scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEQfYDYUnRo

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Dan's exit interview is beautiful and further proof that they put him on the show just to troll him.

Whining, excuses, men's rights advocacy. This is just tremendous.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
I think that basically proves that Rodney is actually losing what little brain function he originally had, from lack of food. He's literally getting dumber. His "SWOLE" body can't support his brain with the lack of protein going on, and he's like, losing IQ points directly on TV.

So yeah, I still love the actual challenges and the "survivor" life, even if it's been toned down a bit so that people don't just keel over and die. Otherwise it would be a straight up game of High-school make-friends.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
When Rob tries to talk strategy with Dan it show his understanding of the game is somewhere between Leif and Kat.

It must be strange for Cesternino to spend hours every day the past week talking to Second Chancers describing their past season and why they want to go back, and in the middle of all that along comes Danny Downer with his 20 minute bitchfest.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

You only delay the inevitable. All of this island will soon belong to me.

derp, I ran a game called Popularity Contest which was exactly what you described, just like 2 or 3 day vote cycles until there were 3 left (also no jury -- the final three collectively decided a winner with a tiebreak mechanic if they tied) and there were so many tears and anger and it was kind of glorious. also at one point i trolled capps and he blew the gently caress up about the mod interfering or whatever blah blah blah it was hilarious.

Very Entertaining, A+++

edit: now with more link! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681218&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

viewer doc has some gold in it. go diggin', mate

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Pinterest Mom posted:

:laugh:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Nooo it was awful and I still feel awful about it

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Wow how was popcon only five months ago? it feels like it's been years.

years of therapy

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

You only delay the inevitable. All of this island will soon belong to me.

Poque posted:

Wow how was popcon only five months ago? it feels like it's been years.

years of therapy

I remember it fondly. It also taught me that the whole TG community is truly batshit insane (and that i still love you guys, i just haven't been around because i've been insanely busy)

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Met posted:

and if you haven't gotten enough of Rodney's Whining and Entitlement, have a secret scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEQfYDYUnRo
Jeff should have asked Rodney if he would have given up a reward had Carolyn been in his position.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 15, 2015

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
Errr at the expense of basically making fun of myself, I get kind of stupid when I'm really tired, like Rodney with no protein levels of stupid. I was on Skype with a bunch of people and I said that I "think I was like 20 when survivor first came on) and then some other posts made me doubt myself and I got super retarded and said "oops I guess I was 12". But then I thought about it all night and 1979-2000 is actually 21 years. And I desperately wanted to post that all night during my sleep. I know I'm slightly internet old (and the stroke doesn't help :lol:) but even if you're young, Survivor has been on for a long drat time!!!

The game has changed a LOT. Strategies have formed and then reformed and reformed again. People are now attempting to play chess matches instead of checkers. And then some of then are overreaching and playing that 3D Star Trek Chess that makes no sense. There have been seasons where immunity wins were a "good thing" and then it was almost immediately a self-targeting missile lock. It keeps wavering back and forth now between keeping pre-merge strength or keeping pre-merge goats. And trying to figure out what each jury member will actually vote for is harder than ever. I KINDA think that it's almost TOO random and impossible now. (and as always I don't like the jury being able to chat it up for weeks), but somehow it's still really fun, and unless the editing is complete poo poo, MOSTLY an interesting person wins a million bucks. :)

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Over/Under on the number of times Rodney is going to say, "My birthday" during the finale? Seems like 5 is gonna be a good number.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
sierra is worse than will in my book. she's had chance after chance after chance to make an interesting play in this game, and she just votes with what she thinks are the numbers.

at least will got away with being an rear end in a top hat.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

DoggPickle posted:

I KINDA think that it's almost TOO random and impossible now.

Yeah it took me years of chatting about Survivor online/listening to RHAP/watching every season to finally accept that the game is way too random for strategy to play anything more than a minor in determining a winner. We all want there to be more meaning and skill involved than there really is, but most of what we see as skillful play is after-the-fact editing to make the eventual winner look deserving and losers look bad. Even Boston Rob, widely recognized as one of the more skillful players in Survivor history, talks about how luck dependent the game is.

It's better to accept it as entertainment and watch with the same mindset you'd watch a WWE show with.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

FamDav posted:

sierra is worse than will in my book. she's had chance after chance after chance to make an interesting play in this game, and she just votes with what she thinks are the numbers.

at least will got away with being an rear end in a top hat.

What big move does she need to make? She's in a majority alliance with two assholes who want to take her to the end. If immunities go her way (they won't) she has a cruisy ride to an easy victory.

Of course, Mike or Carolyn will win final immunity and gently caress it up for her, but there's not a lot she can do about that at this point.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

BGrifter posted:

Yeah it took me years of chatting about Survivor online/listening to RHAP/watching every season to finally accept that the game is way too random for strategy to play anything more than a minor in determining a winner. We all want there to be more meaning and skill involved than there really is, but most of what we see as skillful play is after-the-fact editing to make the eventual winner look deserving and losers look bad. Even Boston Rob, widely recognized as one of the more skillful players in Survivor history, talks about how luck dependent the game is.

It's better to accept it as entertainment and watch with the same mindset you'd watch a WWE show with.

They could cut down on the RANDOM and make it more of an actual strategic game if they NEVER MADE RANDOM TRIBE SWAPS. It doesn't matter how awesome you are and what friends you have made - if you get stuck on the losing end of some kind of random swap, you're dead. Also, obviously, they should make the idols completely impossible to find unless you have 2 (VERY SMART) or 3 clues. None of this, Ah I found it in a tree-hole bullshit.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

DoggPickle posted:

They could cut down on the RANDOM and make it more of an actual strategic game if they NEVER MADE RANDOM TRIBE SWAPS. It doesn't matter how awesome you are and what friends you have made - if you get stuck on the losing end of some kind of random swap, you're dead. Also, obviously, they should make the idols completely impossible to find unless you have 2 (VERY SMART) or 3 clues. None of this, Ah I found it in a tree-hole bullshit.

The answer, as always, is that tribe swaps and easy to find idols make better TV. And when it comes down to it, better TV is almost always more important than making it a better game of strategy and skill.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I'd be fine with no more tribe swaps if they always started with three tribes. Two tribes without a swap easily leads to stupid death cults full of people playing for 4th place. Tree hole idols are dumb but fair so it's not a huge problem.

They should bring back the voluntary tribe swap. It's always interesting.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Yeah the amount of changes they'd have to make to Survivor to drastically reduce the luck element would be so huge it wouldn't be Survivor anymore. Plus it'd be much less entertaining television.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

elgarbo posted:

What big move does she need to make? She's in a majority alliance with two assholes who want to take her to the end. If immunities go her way (they won't) she has a cruisy ride to an easy victory.

Of course, Mike or Carolyn will win final immunity and gently caress it up for her, but there's not a lot she can do about that at this point.

Had she flipped earlier when she had (many chances) she could have secured a Final 3 alliance without needing to go all in on hoping Mike/Carolyn lose Final 4 Immunity. Her idea since the merge has clearly been to allign with unlikable people and sweep a jury vote, but that's a useless strategy if you can't actually get to the Final 3.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
I don't actually think that random tribe swaps and stumble-upon idols make better TV, but I guess I'm in the minority. There are already SO MANY factors to take into account - adding this extra level and another level of luck just screws the people who have actual plans. You can only take "be-adaptable" so far. Maybe I like boring TV; I wanna see people with good plans do well, and not dumbasses get lucky.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I'd be fine with no more tribe swaps if they always started with three tribes. Two tribes without a swap easily leads to stupid death cults full of people playing for 4th place. Tree hole idols are dumb but fair so it's not a huge problem.

They should bring back the voluntary tribe swap. It's always interesting.

No, it was only interesting the one time in Cook Islands when it actually happened. Every other time we've seen the producers put it on on the table on TV (Thailand and Tocantins) it's lead to no one swapping. In fact there are some seasons where Jeff offers up a mutiny and it was cut out of the show entirely because no one did it.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

mancalamania posted:

Had she flipped earlier when she had (many chances) she could have secured a Final 3 alliance without needing to go all in on hoping Mike/Carolyn lose Final 4 Immunity. Her idea since the merge has clearly been to allign with unlikable people and sweep a jury vote, but that's a useless strategy if you can't actually get to the Final 3.

If you flip, though, all the credit goes to the people who got you to flip and you alienate the people you were most closely aligned with (who happen to make a up a good chunk of the jury). Sierra has basically been stuck in a lovely position since Lindsey's boot and hasn't been presented with a concrete plan to flip, so I can't really blame her for embracing the strategy of "I'll go to the end with two assholes and hope I win"

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

mancalamania posted:

Yeah but why would you flip out of an alliance of goats? If she flips over to Mike or Shirin or Joe or Jenn or whoever, she likely loses to them. Sure, her chances of making final three go up dramatically, but that's because she's now the goat of her alliance. Like it or not, Sierra is playing to win and not get third place, and for that I give her credit.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Over/Under on the number of times Rodney is going to say, "My birthday" during the finale? Seems like 5 is gonna be a good number.

He will definitely reference his dead sister. And his ma.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

mancalamania posted:

Name all these "many chances" she had to flip, where she wouldn't be on the wrong side of the votes.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Dan would be the worst but Will still exists.

Spirogyra
Dec 19, 2003
Sierra's in a bad spot now that Dan's gone, because her goats are Will and Rodney. And honestly, I'd pick Rodney to win over her (given the current edits) because even though he's an annoying meathead that can't even compete in a challenge let alone win, Rodney's made a real effort at playing.

But that's just me on the jury. No telling what anyone else would think because Sierra gets so little face time, I have no idea what kind of person she is, and have no idea what the people left think of her. I might honestly be disappointed if she were to win in a way I don't think I've been before when floaters sneak into the winner's seat. Probably personal feelings, but I think the other times, 2nd/3rd place have been people I didn't like, so to see them lose to someone who "didn't play hard enough" was amusing. (Note that this doesn't mean I think any one of them was a better player than the others; I'm coming at this from a gut feeling/entertained viewer POV.)

Overall, as unlikeable as the majority of the cast has been, I think I've seen a lot of good play this season. I prefer what we've seen here to Tony's TPI bullying (I was blah on his win because of it, even if it was smart because nobody ever tried anything to deal with it) or the ridiculous emotional overplay from BvW2 (the gimmick wasn't as interesting without former players and their loved ones).

The reason I might be leaning to Mike is in part his plays that I wish players would do more often (fearlessly calling out flips and secret alliances) even though they haven't worked for him, leveraging his HII in interesting and smart ways, and despite P S A L M and Merica and his bad maneuver at the auction.

Carolyn's been playing a slow game that's been smart, and that she's really only needed to ramp up in past few episodes. My dislike that puts her behind Mike is all personal: constant bitchface, even when she's happy. Her "agony" at whether to up her reward to Rodney or not (does she care about his jury vote? Is he even smart enough to realize the game she's been playing at FTC? But of course he's her #2 goat), and her HII play to torpedo Dan and the others' plans is making me forget her smug smiles though.

Rodney, Sierra, and Will NEED to get rid of Mike and Carolyn (and I'm sure they know this). None of them have any chance unless they do (Will has 0 chance anyway, but he'll get his third place money, though this puts him in an interesting spot if he's honest with himself about how he's "played" He's a guaranteed goat that can't win, so why not be open-minded about alliances now? This might be that nobody gives a poo poo about his opinions though. He's just that necessary vote; thinking is unnecessary){Will is a better goat than Phil, because he doesn't say or do anything, he won't sabotage any plans, and he can't even put his name to any strategic moves. He's not even funny or entertaining.)

So Mike, Carolyn, Rodney (contingent on Sierra having a an edit that omits all her strategic play), Sierra, Will. Carolyn might leapfrog Mike for my #1 depending on how the final days go.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I hope the final 3 includes both Mike and Carolyn (so there's at least some suspense as to who wins) and also includes Rodney (because getting Rodney for all jury questions would be way better than only getting Rodney for one). I'm not sure how this would happen, though, unless Mike and Carolyn team up with Sierra and then Rodney wins F4 immunity.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

elgarbo posted:

Yeah but why would you flip out of an alliance of goats? If she flips over to Mike or Shirin or Joe or Jenn or whoever, she likely loses to them. Sure, her chances of making final three go up dramatically, but that's because she's now the goat of her alliance. Like it or not, Sierra is playing to win and not get third place, and for that I give her credit.

She's had a few chances to flip:

First was the Joaquin boot, to take out Joe instead. Would have given the WCs a more commanding majority post-merge, with a likely Rodney/Joaquin/Tyler/Carolyn/Sierra/Will block.

Second was the proposed women alliance to oust Dan. Don't know how far it would have gone - Jenn/Hali/Sierra/Shirin can only go so far.

She then flipped on Mike after the letter fiasco, then flipped on Tyler.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Sierra played a near perfect game and only needs to hope that either she, will or Rodney win the f4 immunity. I'm sorry but after Lindsay got booted from the Blue Collar tribe her position was so bad that it's amazing that she has a very real chance to win the $1 million.

ApplesandOranges posted:

She's had a few chances to flip:

First was the Joaquin boot, to take out Joe instead. Would have given the WCs a more commanding majority post-merge, with a likely Rodney/Joaquin/Tyler/Carolyn/Sierra/Will block.

Second was the proposed women alliance to oust Dan. Don't know how far it would have gone - Jenn/Hali/Sierra/Shirin can only go so far.

She then flipped on Mike after the letter fiasco, then flipped on Tyler.

How would giving the WC a more commanding lead have helped her at all? She would have gotten no credit but all the blame for being a blue collar traitor.

I'm not sure her chances sitting next to Jenn or Hali would have been so much better. They didn't do anything to actively damage their standing in the game compared to Rodney and Will.

The "letter fiasco" is just lip service by Dan (or he is really demented, who knows) to the fact that they need to get Mike out at the next best opportunity after Joe was gone. There is no sane reason to keep mike any longer. Same goes for Tyler.

To recap: Sierra managed to be in the majority alliance for all of the post-merge game while still taking out the people that are bigger jury threats than her. The only thing that I can come up with that would have been better for her game, would have been to get Mike and Carolyn to vote out Rodney instead of Dan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

The problem with Sierra is that the editors used her for suspense-baiting. We know they leave things out so that the viewer won't know who's going home. Sierra was the one who gave them the most material for suspense. She probably also talked in confessionals about her reasons for not flipping, but that would ruin the suspense, so we didn't see them. So, all we see is half of Sierra's strategy, making her seem like she just keeps chickening out.

• Locked thread