Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Hazdoc posted:

Whoa, HE does a ton more damage now than I remember. It feels like they're hitting like AP shells at times, too, I'm getting a lot more citadels with HE than before (usually on super long range shots that drop onto the enemy).
Also, did citadel damage get increased? I blapped a citadel on another BB with whatever the first american battleship you get is... and with only one AP shell actually hitting, too. Just 100-0 with a single shell. Jesus christ.

That wasn't a normal citadel pen. You blew his magazine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Magni posted:

That wasn't a normal citadel pen. You blew his magazine.

...I'm not gonna get arrested for that, am I?

El Disco posted:

ANTI-AIRCRAFT GUNS AND SECONDARY ARMAMENT DISABLED

I hopped in my destroyer just a little bit ago and yeah, that's definitely not going to be annoying every time I toggle my AA off.

Nick Esasky
Nov 10, 2009
Question: I have a promo code for WOT that'll give me 1200 gold along with some other stuff. Does anyone know if i'll be able to use that gold in WoWS if i wait for it to come out of Beta?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Nick Esasky posted:

Question: I have a promo code for WOT that'll give me 1200 gold along with some other stuff. Does anyone know if i'll be able to use that gold in WoWS if i wait for it to come out of Beta?

Once it goes 'live' or whatever they are going to call it, the accounts should be unified and gold shared. I'm looking forward to that as I'll never (probably) play WoT again, so then I can spend my Scrooge McDuck swimming pools full of CW gold on ships that I'll never use more than a couple times instead of just leaving it sit there.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
My biggest beef with the new armor scheme is that getting your T crossed is now an advantageous tactical position, while unmasking your broadside is a very dangerous and often wrong move. It is very counter-intuitive.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

ArchangeI posted:

My biggest beef with the new armor scheme is that getting your T crossed is now an advantageous tactical position, while unmasking your broadside is a very dangerous and often wrong move. It is very counter-intuitive.

It always had been that way. It actually seems a bit less now. I've taken some nasty hits to my bow recently.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

xthetenth posted:

It always had been that way. It actually seems a bit less now. I've taken some nasty hits to my bow recently.

Agreed, I think crossing the T is actually more viable now than it was.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

I didn't get past the Mogami before the patch, so this is my first experience with the Myoko.

And wow, this thing can loving turn. Especially with a rudder upgrade. It's really easy to dance at long range against a battleship.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

xthetenth posted:

My Kongo got crossed by a New York and lost both front turrets to permanent destruction, haven't had that happen since they broke barbette armour

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

xthetenth posted:

3 carrier torp squadrons looks good until you remember that's the same number of planes the US carriers had in two.

I think carriers in general got hurt.
I was waiting for this patch to finish grinding out the Ranger to get my Lex but now I'm all :geno: because all I have to look forward to really is more dive bombers.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
The Gremyashchiy is pretty much my favourite thing in this game and I don't think I'll ever tire of it.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
New Mexico trip report: Holy poo poo these rear turrets can turn so far forward

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

rossmum posted:

The Gremyashchiy is pretty much my favourite thing in this game and I don't think I'll ever tire of it.

The Grim Reaper sold me on Russian DDs already.

Bobatron
May 12, 2007

let me tell you of a
place called Cylesborgia,
where robosexuals and
lesbians live together
in harmony :roboluv:

Insert name here posted:

I was waiting for this patch to finish grinding out the Ranger to get my Lex but now I'm all :geno: because all I have to look forward to really is more dive bombers.

I don't get all the dive bomber hate. They seem really strong now I've had dive bomber squads do huge amounts of damage to my Amagi and they seem to constantly set fire to everything.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

So I just did like 225,000 damage in a Kagero. A bunch of battleships sailed straight into the cap and tooled around eating torpedoes. I'm very happy they buffed the torpedo reload times.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I did it. I've achieved nirvana. I downed three torpedo bombers in a 4-plane squadron and the last plane one-shot my Wyoming from full health, right in the magazine. :magical: "Detonation" achievement received!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I did it. I've achieved nirvana. I downed three torpedo bombers in a 4-plane squadron and the last plane one-shot my Wyoming from full health, right in the magazine. :magical: "Detonation" achievement received!

That little pixel Japanese pilot got loving wasted on sake when he got back to his ship

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

At least you get 10 magic flags that repell detonation now.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Looking forward to clan wars: The regatta.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

xthetenth posted:

Looking forward to clan wars: The regatta.

:rimshot:

I always wanted a Naval Reserve yacht pennant.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

The Cleveland is hilariously good at making Atlanta captains regret their purchase. Also, does anybody know if that Nagato is the real Jingles or an imitator?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Asehujiko posted:

The Cleveland is hilariously good at making Atlanta captains regret their purchase. Also, does anybody know if that Nagato is the real Jingles or an imitator?

Botes names are the same as Tonks names, so if he's Jingles in Tonks then Jingles belongs to him in Botes as well

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Finally got this game, having fun so far. I seem to like the US cruiser line, should I just stay with levelling that up for now or are DD's worth a try?

Also, how does AA work? Auto or?

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !

That Works posted:

Also, how does AA work? Auto or?

Essentially automatic, but you can control-click an enemy air group in the sky to tell your AI gunners to concentrate on that group. Your ship has a several km radius area of engagement, different on each ship (look at AA stats in port). Also, some cruisers have a AA buff power they can pop to magically turn all those 12.7/20/40/whatever mm mounts into CIWS turrets for a short bit. And there's a captain skill that buffs that buff power. In higher tiers this can make approaching certain cruisers with airplanes a :suicide:-al situation.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Cool. So does just going up the US cruiser tree seem like a good idea or am I missing out by not unlocking BB's early on?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

That Works posted:

Cool. So does just going up the US cruiser tree seem like a good idea or am I missing out by not unlocking BB's early on?

Do whatever you wish. There will be a wipe before open beta anyway. Don't sweat choices like that. Also, progression rate will be adjusted as well. That includes experience and money income.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Hey goons, I did a thing....

BLerchg
May 8, 2015
Any japanese destroyers that are particularly good for their tier? After maxing the US cruiser line while similarly having a lot of fun with my sims i want to focus on torpedo heavy boats and the japanese destroyers seem like a good choice for this.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

BLerchg posted:

Any japanese destroyers that are particularly good for their tier? After maxing the US cruiser line while similarly having a lot of fun with my sims i want to focus on torpedo heavy boats and the japanese destroyers seem like a good choice for this.

Anything tier 5 or below.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Hammerstein posted:

drat dude, you probably got huge shoulders from carrying so hard.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Ahaha holy crap, just unlocked the 1st USA DD and in the 1st match driveby sank a BB. Owns.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

BLerchg posted:

Unless you don't plan on going beyond tier 5, Japanese destroyers can end up being an exercise in frustration, as higher tier destroyers reload their torpedoes slower and slower the higher tier you go. I really liked the US destroyer line, because you could still contribute to the match with big honking autocannons even if your optimal (short) torpedo range was being denied by the match's circumstances.

Also make sure to dump smoke. A lot. You aren't safe until it looks like you're in that one scene in Apocalypse Now where the one guy is acting like an idiot on the river.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

BLerchg posted:

Everything up to tier 5 is pretty good because you get very short torpedo reloads on botes with neat concealment plus lower-tier BBs have poo poo acuracy and meh secondaries wile cruisers aren't yet quite as beastly in terms of firepower. The Mutsuki is pretty much a worse Minekaze, though, and the Hatsuharu is a Mutsuki with less concealment for a very slight incease in gun firepower, making it even worse for its tier.

Fubuki at tier 8 is great, though. She's got good concealment, useable guns and 3*3 torpedos with long range on a nicely maneuverable platform.

Magni fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 15, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Hammerstein posted:

I've never seen a carrier with 3k base experience before. Nice game.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

orange juche posted:

drat dude, you probably got huge shoulders from carrying so hard.

Tried carrying a game just now in my Minekaze but nope, people were just too dumb to win. Would have replied to your mvp shoutout in game but then the carrier dropped torps and there were shots to dodge and then there were MORE torps and then the game ended. Oh well.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Ugh.. the Wyoming is terrible, and my teams are terrible, and I'm terrible. 4 games in a row tonight, all loving one-sided wipe outs. I give up, some nights it's just not meant to be.

Also, WTF with the matchmaker?

Sit in a queue like this for 3 minutes, and it's shockingly 1 or 2 carriers, 1 cruiser, 1 DD, and the rest battleships on both sides. How can it take 3 minutes to do this, just loving toss all the battleships into battles and then add in the other ships whenever there are a pair of them in match range, why does it take so long to do this (and still not evenly match the BB's side to side for some reason)?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

The Locator posted:

How can it take 3 minutes to do this, just loving toss all the battleships into battles and then add in the other ships whenever there are a pair of them in match range

This is what the MM is trying to avoid having to do. It wants a fairly even spread of classes so it waits for the queue to have some non-BB boats. Then after a bit it goes "ahhhh fuckit" and puts together a mostly-BB match anyway.

~

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Prav posted:

This is what the MM is trying to avoid having to do. It wants a fairly even spread of classes so it waits for the queue to have some non-BB boats. Then after a bit it goes "ahhhh fuckit" and puts together a mostly-BB match anyway.

~

Right, but I'm saying that when the numbers are that out of balance, it should just make a bunch of all BB slug fest battles to dump the huge BB spike out of the queue. Don't make people sit and wait just to get (mostly) that anyway.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Ugh, I won 1 match tonight, my Wyoming didn't even get to fire her guns because I was playing catchup the whole match. The other 3 matches were complete loving wipeouts where I got thrown into T6 teams as a T4, I wound up getting annihilated before I could even target anything each match. At 200xp per match it's going to take me a longass time to grind to a New York.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Ugh the standard port looks so much better than the premium port now. Mid-day lighting is a million times better than sunrise/sunset for staring at my ships. :(

orange juche posted:

Ugh, I won 1 match tonight, my Wyoming didn't even get to fire her guns because I was playing catchup the whole match. The other 3 matches were complete loving wipeouts where I got thrown into T6 teams as a T4, I wound up getting annihilated before I could even target anything each match. At 200xp per match it's going to take me a longass time to grind to a New York.
Man I must have gotten real lucky with my Wyoming; averaged ~1.7k a game and was out of it in 7 games.

Bobatron posted:

I don't get all the dive bomber hate. They seem really strong now I've had dive bomber squads do huge amounts of damage to my Amagi and they seem to constantly set fire to everything.
The ones on my Ranger average about 1k to 1.5k a bomb and I get maybe get 3 hits at best even if I aim my manual bomb drop well length wise. And it's a million times harder to aim dive bombers manually than it is to aim torpedo bombers.