Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

It's like a deconstructed meal at a fancy restaurant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

MustelaFuro posted:

This is the PatCenter. It looks like someone built a giant locker room around the skeleton of a gutted ship. It has won a bunch of awards too, apparently. I believe it is currently without occupants, if any of you happen to be looking for a "building".

Personally, if I wanted to turn a building into an oil-refinery-inspired monstrosity, I'd go all the way, not half-rear end it like this architect did.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

MustelaFuro posted:

This is the PatCenter. It looks like someone built a giant locker room around the skeleton of a gutted ship. It has won a bunch of awards too, apparently. I believe it is currently without occupants, if any of you happen to be looking for a "building".

Potential Occupant: "So which building is it?"
Building Owner: "It's the one that looks like a mix between a partially erected circus tent and a sex-swing."

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I've found a lot of the buildings in the thread pretty inoffensive, some are pretty weird but for the most part not that bad. The ones that are truly the worst are where the architects have defaced older buildings with some random bullshit to try and be edgy (gently caress you Ghrey you tallentless hack) or where people just jam a bunch of random features together and create a busy, incoherent mess.

While looking though a lot of the places others have posted I kept thinking of the junior high I attended way back in '97/'98 and just how bad it still was, even by comparison, as both a building in general and a school. About ~17 years ago I attended John McCrae Senior Public School out in Toronto's east end. Most schools in Toronto's inner suburbs sprang up in the 1950's in the post war boom and are your standard 2-3 story, red brick affairs. John McCrae was built about 30 years after all this and was like nothing else in the city. I don't know what design philosophy it would fall into, it seems to defy categorization, it was just "bad".

To get a better idea of how the building was layed out you really need to look at it from above since the bizarre layout makes it hard to get a sense of what's going on otherwise:

The school itself consists of 3 buildsings (called pods) with each one connected to the others by a two story bridge. Why did they build it as 3 seperate buildings instead of 1? Who knows. Why are they connected by bridges instead of normal paths? Well, it's because the entire thing is built 1 story above ground, standing on giant concrete stilts.

And the entire thing is made of solid concrete. A giant, floating concrete block.

The land this place is built on is partially landfill so I can understand why building a more traditional foundation and basement would've been difficult and costly but I have no idea how or why someone could look at the blueprints for this place and think "Yeah, that'll work!" then build what looks like a cross between a prison and a WW2 era Nazi Atlantic Wall fortification to teach children in.

I paid a visit for the first time since I graduated as I needed to visit a nearby hardware store and figured I'd stop by and take a couple pictures. I was suprised to find that they had recently tried touching the place up, which really amounted to putting lipstick on a pig, but it looked better.

They had added in some more trees, added in some more and bigger windows and filled in part of what was parking for the Adult Continuing Education/ESL facility we shared the building with to make a daycare or kindergarden and added in a new playgroud. To get a better idea of what the place looked like when I was last a student here I needed to use Google Streetview to go back a couple years. Below is more what the place looked like until recently:

The trees and burm thing make it a little difficult to see what's really going on. You get a better view from the back:

You could look right through from one side to the other, but the teacher's cars never got snowed on! Most class rooms had just one set of windows (the angled ones you see on the second building). The large row of windows on the bulding to rhe far right is actually the cafeteria and probably the most well lit room in the school. Some rooms though had no windows at eye level. If you look at the second building you'll see a row of skylights on the first level. Those were the only windows in some room, angled just perfectly so that as you sat in there you could only look up into the opposing grey concrete wall and a bit of the sky. Just lovely.

Even better is where they kept us at recess and lunch. You may think that with that wide open field surrounding the school that we could go run around and be free, but no. It would've been hard for the teachers to watch all the students and the field backs on to a heavily wooded revene. We also couldn't get too close to the neighbouring elementry school as we would harass the younger kids. We couldn't really use the front lawn as it wasn't big enough and that playground to the bottom of the first picture didn't exist, it was all still parking lot.

So where did they have us play? Well, remember how the school is 1 story off the ground?

Yep, they stuck us under the school. Where better to play than in what was basically a parking garage? It wasn't as bad as the picture makes it look; to the right and out of the shot is a newly constructed solid wood fence thats now blocking a lot of natural light and to the left of the picture is some new fencing that devides the "light" from the "dark" parts of the yard. Years ago what is now handicap parking was a half basketball court thing and the fencing was much further over giving us plenty more room to run around. And when it rained we chould just hide under the building to stay dry.

The best part though was a phonomon know as "Lake McCrae". The pavement is slightly angeld towards the front of the school where a number of storm drains had been built. Except that years of neglect had left most of them clogged with debris so in the spring when the snows melted and after a heavy storm the playground was prone to flooding. It wasn't deep but a good portion of the area was covered in 2-6 inches of water. Deep enough that if you went running around in it you'd be sopping wet for the rest of the day.

The interior of the school wasn't much better. I couldn't find any pictures so instead I took a shot of the overhang of the main enterance to help illustrate what the inside looked like:

That weird icecube tray pattern was what the ceilings looked like in every room on each floor except for the cafeteria and gymnasium. Every so often they'd have a small light set inside one of the squares to try and evenly light things.
The interior walls looked identical to the exterior walls (they used the same molds everywhere). As you could imagine trying to hang or attach something to a solid concrete wall is difficult so aside from a splash of Refrigerator White paint there was nothing else in the way of decorations. Oh, and those aircon units you see in some of the windows now - they weren't there back in 1997. Do you know how goddamn hot a concrete box with no ventilation starts to get by mid-June?

Today I have no idea what the school functions as. It's still in use but it looks like it houses younger grades now. I can only hope they got a better playground and a much improved interior while they were busy fixing up the exterior.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 15, 2015

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

This looks like the architect got the idea when a gummy bear fell out of his mouth and face first onto a shiny surface

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

YellerBill posted:

Personally, if I wanted to turn a building into an oil-refinery-inspired monstrosity, I'd go all the way, not half-rear end it like this architect did.
the only guy who should be allowed to make stuff like that is Richard Rogers imo

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
i know they're stairways and wotnot but they should be super fun slides

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

I'm Crap posted:

the only guy who should be allowed to make stuff like that is Richard Rogers imo

Also at least rogers has a design philosophy, and maximizing space by putting services outside the building does have a logic to it. I've never been inside the Lloyds building or Pompidou though so I can't say how well it works.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I'm Crap posted:

Yeah this guy does a lot of modernist stuff that I really like. I found out about him when I worked in one of his builings and realised that lots of the buildings I knew and liked were all him (or his company, at least).

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Guys, Richard Rogers designed the Pat Center. :techno:

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

Paddyb posted:

Guys, Richard Rogers designed the Pat Center. :techno:
lol really, they must have not paid him enough

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Columbia University has a lot of money but they're no Lloyds Bank.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

This owns.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Paddyb posted:

Columbia University has a lot of money but they're no Lloyds Bank.

Lloyds bank and Lloyd's of London are completely different just to confuse people

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
sure it's easy to mock big government's projects, but let's not forgot the common man's real estate:

http://uglybelgianhouses.tumblr.com

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
this would have never happened under the nazis

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

Blame the historical society or whoever's behind historic preservation things. Large towers in the downtown area would "take away from the core area's unique aesthetic," so those guys want the downtown area to be frozen in time.

Nevermind how the county bulldozed a perfectly good building:

I have to be honest, and I say this with a deep love of many beautiful historic buildings, but this building had no redeeming features. For the most part Greek Revival architecture was hideous and the cupola does not work with this particular design.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Stealing from a 3 Olives thread but

:wtc:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
That's got to be a cult compound.

edit: Which thread?

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
I was thinking it was just an ugly church and they went broke late in construction but it really does sound more like cult compound.

quote:

2354 County Road 59, Manvel, TX 77578
46 beds 26 baths 60,175 sqft

This is a unique opportunity to have more than enough room for the entire family inside and outside! SHELL of 60,175 sq ft brick home with 9 car attached garage on approximately 15 acres; large open living areas and more bedrooms than you can count! CONSTRUCTION MUST BE FINISHED OUT! Indoor gunite swimming pool and spa, jacuzzi, elevator, and so much more! ALL INFORMATION TO BE VERIFIED BY BUYERS, MEASUREMENTS, ROOM COUNTS, ETC ARE ALL ESTIMATES.

And this site claims "55 bedrooms, 55 bathrooms, elevator, dozens of living areas, indoor swimming pool, 9-car garage and more." That really is someone preparing for the end times.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

newreply.php posted:

sure it's easy to mock big government's projects, but let's not forgot the common man's real estate:

http://uglybelgianhouses.tumblr.com

Yeah, already posted this some time ago, but it bears repeating: this whole "brick in the stomach" bullshit is litterally destroying the country.

edit for people outside Belgium: people here feel that owning a house is an absolute must to show you're not a lowly member of the pleb, and due to lovely tax system, buying / selling for moving is insanely expensive. Doesn't help that everyone gets a company car since it's much lower tax than an actual salary.
People will never ever move, "it's MY house", which was fine when it was easy to get a job close to where you lived, but now you might have to get that job at the other side of the country.
So people commute from all over and it creates the most congested country in the whole loving developed world, according to both Europe itself (Tomtom) and the US (don't remember which American institute, whatever. looks like INRIX).
Since people pretty much never move, they make their house "personal". Meaning loving ugly as sin. Fake traditional stone or McMansion in the South, ridiculous statues and pyramids or Spanish Haciencas in the North.

Spatule fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 15, 2015

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

Spatule posted:

Yeah, already posted this some time ago, but it bears repeating: this whole "brick in the stomach" bullshit is litterally destroying the country.

that tumblr is the place to direct any belgian complaining about plans to build an "ugly mosque" in his village to

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Mordja posted:

If someone spends a poo poo ton of money for such a big mansion why can't they spend a few bucks on decent landscaping?

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Spatule posted:

What is so terrible about it? Those houses look nicer than most houses here. Less cramped, most have a garage even.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

NihilismNow posted:

What is so terrible about it? Those houses look nicer than most houses here. Less cramped, most have a garage even.

Don't know where's "here", so I can't comment, but different for the sake of being different doesn't strike me as being very interesting / nice looking. The insides are still mostly boring unfortunately.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

newreply.php posted:

that tumblr is the place to direct any belgian complaining about plans to build an "ugly mosque" in his village to

Belgium is a cesspool when it comes to architecture: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brusselization

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

NihilismNow posted:

oh i didnt know we had dudes from nepal posting here

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Neutrino posted:

If someone spends a poo poo ton of money for such a big mansion why can't they spend a few bucks on decent landscaping?

The couldn't spend the bucks to finish their empty shell of a building so maybe they never got to the landscaping.
Real answer: all that open land makes it easier to spot demons/immigrants/ATF agents.

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

i think it's really cool that so many airports are renovating + trying to go back to the pre-9/11 view of airports as a center (including getting good little outposts of local restaurants)

but man they are still as a whole real ugly (like the hartsfield-jackson one in atlanta)

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

MustelaFuro posted:

From an ascetic standpoint this is ugly as poo poo, but from a functionality one it's actually really clever since they're using the mechanics of suspension bridges to remove all the structural elements from the interior. All the structural/MEP elements being on the exterior means you get a massive amount of unobstructed factory/warehouse space so you don't have to design the poo poo you're putting inside around columns that are usually holding the roof up.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

A Winner is Jew posted:

From an ascetic standpoint this is ugly as poo poo, but from a functionality one it's actually really clever since they're using the mechanics of suspension bridges to remove all the structural elements from the interior. All the structural/MEP elements being on the exterior means you get a massive amount of unobstructed factory/warehouse space so you don't have to design the poo poo you're putting inside around columns that are usually holding the roof up.

There of ways of doing it that don't make it look like a complete turd though.

GentlemanBrofro
Mar 9, 2011

by Lowtax

I'm Crap posted:

i dont see how these are any more or less practical than many buildings posted in this thread. both of them are just as aesthetically pleasing as the Pat Center. lots of mingling of traditional architecture with modern architectural ideals. maybe im just a loving idiot and "dont get it".

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
The Pat Center looks like a sweet place to work, really.

GentlemanBrofro
Mar 9, 2011

by Lowtax

Paddyb posted:

The Pat Center looks like a sweet place to work, really.

that's what bothers me. people are making GBS threads on it because the outer surface seems over complicated but it really takes little intuition to interpret the outer portion to be some sort of support for the building. i think its interesting, maybe odd or not necessarily aesthetically pleasing, but its interesting and provocative. it also has a beautiful symmetry to it, especially the inside.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

GentlemanBrofro posted:

that's what bothers me. people are making GBS threads on it because the outer surface seems over complicated but it really takes little intuition to interpret the outer portion to be some sort of support for the building. i think its interesting, maybe odd or not necessarily aesthetically pleasing, but its interesting and provocative. it also has a beautiful symmetry to it, especially the inside.

I can understand the outsides can be hit or miss for some people (I happen to like them), but the insides are god drat works of art.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Mordja posted:

newmoney.jpg lostmoney.jpg

Guessing someone hit it big in 2008 and lost it all in 2009.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Neutrino posted:

According to this http://homesoftherich.net/2015/04/the-ugliest-weirdest-looking-60000-square-foot-mega-mansion-ever/ it has been sitting there unfinished for years. First built in 2001 on 10 acres of land. Now in forclosure.

I suppose you could make it into a really ugly hotel. But it looks like the majority of rooms have tiny windows or no windows at all. The ends look normal, but one side is all garage, and the other side looks like this:

Weirdly there is another just like it right next door. A bit smaller, only 7 car garage. https://www.google.ca/maps/@29.541064,-95.403612,3a,15y,182.47h,83.81t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sjZl1ViNyl_MYoXcej5385A!2e0!6m1!1e1 This shows the "mansion" in question, its little brother is to the left.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

nigga crab pollock posted:

in gurnee, Il there's a horrendous house in similar faux egyptian style and it's a hideous mess. its right next to a bunch of subdivisions on the outskirts of the waukeegan area

the lot is huge. seriously huge. none of the pictures truly convey the barren emptiness of the lot cause the house is 600 feet away from the gate. it's completely flat gravel with a few obelisks sticking out and the house itself isn't particularly large so it's hardly visible from the street. i didn't know there was a lake around the house cause you can't see it from the gate but i guess the owner really wanted a moat

even though it appears to have been built as a big gently caress you to everyone around it, and the long driveway and closed gate make it seem like the owner wanted maximum distance between him and the outside world - he gives tours for money and has a sign posted outside the gate.

it constantly looks in the same state of disrepair that decaying tourist attractions on route 66 have except i think it's less than 20 years old. please note the massive pile of gravel to cover up the grass attempting to grow and the cracking and sun bleached stencils on the fence

That piece of poo poo has been there since 1977 according to his website. I used to live really close to there in the early 90's and it still looks the same as it did almost 25 years later. Dirty and dingy and crap.

Vicodiva
Sep 27, 2012

Angela Christine posted:

According to this http://homesoftherich.net/2015/04/the-ugliest-weirdest-looking-60000-square-foot-mega-mansion-ever/ it has been sitting there unfinished for years. First built in 2001 on 10 acres of land. Now in forclosure.

I suppose you could make it into a really ugly hotel. But it looks like the majority of rooms have tiny windows or no windows at all. The ends look normal, but one side is all garage, and the other side looks like this:

Weirdly there is another just like it right next door. A bit smaller, only 7 car garage. https://www.google.ca/maps/@29.541064,-95.403612,3a,15y,182.47h,83.81t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sjZl1ViNyl_MYoXcej5385A!2e0!6m1!1e1 This shows the "mansion" in question, its little brother is to the left.

Looks like some Warren Jeffs poo poo or something. mega creepy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
I highly recommend The Queen of Versailles documentary which is on Netflix. It shows a billionaire and his crazy trophy wife starting to build the biggest, ugliest mansion ever, based on the palace of Versaille. Halfway through construction the global downturn causes them to lose a whole lot of money, and it all goes to poo poo. I love terrible modern mansions.

• Locked thread