Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Like the war convoys constantly looming in the distance, this film is going to cast a long shadow over the year. What a loving triumph.

How the hell does a franchise come back after 30 years and completely dickpunt its vaunted predecessors off the wall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

its been a good couple years for the action genre

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Blue Raider posted:

its been a good couple years for the action genre

John Wick was really good too.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dredd reminded me I liked action movies in the first place. They've been poo poo for like 15+years. My faith in the genre has been renewed since then.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

effectual posted:

John Wick was really good too.

And Kingsman. And the Fast and Furious movies. Yeah, there's been a fair bit to enjoy.

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

And Kingsman. And the Fast and Furious movies. Yeah, there's been a fair bit to enjoy.

Those movies are alright, but there hasn't been anything remotely in the caliber of Terminator 2, Die Hard, Hard Boiled.

The Raid is the only action movie in recent memory that could genuinely be considered a classic, and Mad Max Fury Road blows it out of the water

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Finished watching Mad Max 2: Road Warrior

I never knew there was a hole in my life that needed filling, but this was it. This was the movie I should have seen and loved decades ago.

It's frankly amazing how much better the second is over the first. The writing is worlds better, like it's not even comparable, but beyond that the cinematography is better, there's lots of cool aerial shots and a lot of scenes are much fuller, and they really knew how much space they had to work with and made sure to fill the screen as often as possible, making the movie feel huge even though it's probably parred down compared to the first, like there's one major set, a couple of minor recurring locations, but otherwise it's all roadways and desert. And thank god they decided on that, farm fields don't exactly scream "humanity on the edge of survival", but deserts? gently caress yeah, and deciding to have car chases that go off-road was brilliant, like it's such a simple addition but it adds so much. Also the soundtrack sounds exactly the same as last time, but it pairs up with the action a hellva lot better than it did before.

But what struck me the most was the aesthetic. I've seen post-apocalyptic wastelands before, but it's pretty cool to see that this is the movie where that exact aesthetic came from. Borderlands, Rage, Fallout, they all take huge amounts of their visual design from this movie.

So, yeah, first movie was a big mess that had a couple of ideas it wanted to play around with but no idea what to actually do with them. This movie, this movie knew exactly what to do with the ideas they came up with, and did it with a deft hand to boot. It's more coherent, better able to follow the rules of storytelling to actually tell a story, it's more action packed, like basically every action scene is huge and they all have excellent tension, it's funny, like I kept bursting out laughing over these understated gags that just come out of nowhere, it's painful, I forgot that action movies used to run their heroes through the ringer and have them barely able to limp away by the end of it all. It's fast paced, it's fun, it's everything a dumb action movie should be while also being a genre defining, hell possible even genre beginning, landmark movie.

I'm sorry I missed it til now, I'm glad I watched, and I'm loving HYPED for Fury Road.

I'll check out the third movie tomorrow, though I expect that anything I type will be drowned out by the flood of comments for the new movie.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 08:08 on May 15, 2015

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I'll check out the third movie tomorrow, though I expect that anything I type will be drowned out by the flood of comments for the new movie.

Do yourself a favor and don't watch the third movie. It's an incomprehensible piece of total garbage.

So anyway, on the subject of Fury Road, in the credits Teardrop by Massive Attack is listed in the music section. Where the hell was that?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
This was a kickass movie. Came back from watching it and it was hype as hell. So glad I was able to get tickets today.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

TheJoker138 posted:

Do yourself a favor and don't watch the third movie. It's an incomprehensible piece of total garbage.

So anyway, on the subject of Fury Road, in the credits Teardrop by Massive Attack is listed in the music section. Where the hell was that?

Mad Max 3 is a bit of a mess but still has enough cool parts to be worth watching.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

effectual posted:

Mad Max 3 is a bit of a mess but still has enough cool parts to be worth watching.

It's fine right up until Blaster's helmet comes off, and then the entire movie goes off the loving rails and never recovers.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

bullet3 posted:

Those movies are alright, but there hasn't been anything remotely in the caliber of Terminator 2, Die Hard, Hard Boiled.

The Raid is the only action movie in recent memory that could genuinely be considered a classic, and Mad Max Fury Road blows it out of the water

It's not a competition, dear. There's room to enjoy all the stabbing and shooting and crashing.

Gesadt
Jan 3, 2014

TheJoker138 posted:

eh its not that bad, kinda like temple of doom to indiana jones trilogy. if anything, its worth seeing just to have an idea how different each mad max movie really is. afterall fury road finally lets you move beyond thunderdome. after 30 years

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

When I was a little kid I would watch Mad Max 2, Blues Brothers and (somewhat less cooler) Smokey & the Bandit over and over in the way kids do because I just loved car chases and cars smashes more than anything in the world. The new Mad Max film made me feel like that super excited child all over again. I can't remember the last time I saw a film that made me love watching a movie as much as I did back then. loving awesome. I'm going to see it again, and then again!

Also - a woman's opinion coming in. I loved Furosia So drat much. Miller got it right, absolutely 100% bang on right by, apparently, simply not giving a poo poo about gender. She's an awesome character because she's dirty, rough, mean, a fighter, brave as gently caress, a hero, she has a robot arm, a shaved head and cool as gently caress makeup with the black oil. Not because she's a woman. The kid inside of me who wanted the Mad Max all those years ago wants to be Furoisa too. And thank you Miller, thank.you.a.hundred.times for not having scenes where men do double takes and say 'a woman? A woman driver?' Or having Furosia say poo poo like 'sisters are doing it for themselves now!' Or whatever crap men think women want to hear.

The wives in the film were perfect too. They are absolutely beautiful and so stand out a mile and a half in such a brutal and ugly world. They are not stunning because all women in Holywood must be stunning, they are stunning because it's entirely relivent to the plot. I loved the scene where the old women are touching the wives skin and examining their teeth. They are fascinated by them and make a point of how unusual they are. their touch is caring and playful and so the wives shyly smile and warm to it as they've probably never been touched that way before. It would have been so easy to make the same point about their sheltered and privileged lives by having some grunt manhandle them and make some 'she's a fine filly, firm ripe flesh *slurp*' comment.

Oh, and the guitar dude loving ruled. Keep on thrashing that flame guitar into the sky you rad motherfucker.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This is the best movie, and during the film I ate chili out of a goddamn tin can.(Alamo Drafthouse Beer Dinner)It was perfection. Everything was perfect. I will see this again. There won't be a movie like this for a long, long time, until Mad Max 5 comes out, of course.

Charlize Theron is the best. Furiosa. What a great character.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 08:34 on May 15, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

effectual posted:

Ehhhh. I consider it worth watching purely so you can understand the pop culture references. As an actual movie it's terribly flawed. One of the first is that they went for a PG-13 rating, which resulted in an absolute minimum of deaths and lots of sanitized violence where people are simply knocked unconscious or harmlessly thrown around.

It starts out seeming like it'll be cool with Bartertown and lots of awesome and crazy wasteland civilization, but ends up suddenly flying off to deal with children (introducing a community entirely of children is often a terrible idea because kids are almost resoundingly awful in movies not based around them, and Mad Max of all things is one of the worst universes to do it); this might be the cause of some of the PG-13 rating, as you can always show kids swinging on things to dropkick people in the face or punching adults in the nose but you can't show them shooting them in the eye with a .44 Magnum.

It doesn't really become a Mad Max movie until the final minutes, when they deliver the only car chase of the whole film and it ends up mostly being mediocre. Even the vehicles are kind of a mess; they wanted to go further with the "wasteland scavenger" look, resulting in weird and ugly cars made of canvas, hide, and bone that look nothing like the punk aesthetic that the film made famous. There's few or no vehicles that are actually built on real vehicles, instead using tribal contraptions that barely look like they should have engines.

Beyond Thunderdome did contribute a lot to pop culture, but it's not really much of a Mad Max film. It goes from R-rated car chases and shotgun-wielding men in leather throwing each other under the wheels to a PG-13 romp in the desert with a band of spunky tribal kids and all the bad guys just getting punched in the face and dropped onto the sand at low speeds where they'll barely break a bone.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

Ehhhh. I consider it worth watching purely so you can understand the pop culture references. As an actual movie it's terribly flawed. One of the first is that they went for a PG-13 rating, which resulted in an absolute minimum of deaths and lots of sanitized violence where people are simply knocked unconscious or harmlessly thrown around.

It starts out seeming like it'll be cool with Bartertown and lots of awesome and crazy wasteland civilization, but ends up suddenly flying off to deal with children (introducing a community entirely of children is often a terrible idea because kids are almost resoundingly awful in movies not based around them, and Mad Max of all things is one of the worst universes to do it); this might be the cause of some of the PG-13 rating, as you can always show kids swinging on things to dropkick people in the face or punching adults in the nose but you can't show them shooting them in the eye with a .44 Magnum.

It doesn't really become a Mad Max movie until the final minutes, when they deliver the only car chase of the whole film and it ends up mostly being mediocre. Even the vehicles are kind of a mess; they wanted to go further with the "wasteland scavenger" look, resulting in weird and ugly cars made of canvas, hide, and bone that look nothing like the punk aesthetic that the film made famous. There's few or no vehicles that are actually built on real vehicles, instead using tribal contraptions that barely look like they should have engines.

Beyond Thunderdome did contribute a lot to pop culture, but it's not really much of a Mad Max film. It goes from R-rated car chases and shotgun-wielding men in leather throwing each other under the wheels to a PG-13 romp in the desert with a band of spunky tribal kids and all the bad guys just getting punched in the face and dropped onto the sand at low speeds where they'll barely break a bone.

The whole thing is a cartoon, and at a certain point basically all of the characters motivations become totally obscured. Like I still have no idea why they went back to bartertown at all. And I have less of an idea why Auntie let Max live after he destroyed her entire town beyond repair when just a few days before she was willing to kill him over the much smaller slight of not killing Blaster. The movie is a real poo poo show.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

TerminalBlue posted:

Of course we also had this out front:

Whoa, I was like, "That kind of looks like downtown Santa Fe...wait a minute". What's up Santa Fe buddy?

Since you guys were sold out, I ended up going to the Regal. This is one of the prettiest movies I've even seen, and one of the most artfully done action movies as well. No exposition, just, "here's the world, you figure it out, and go!" Then it's just insanity for the next 2 hours.

I audibly gasped when Immortan Joe's face gets ripped off. Man that was nasty.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
What a great loving film. Right up there with Dredd and Edge of Tomorrow on my recent action film list.

Definite props to the evil emperor dude, too. His entire performance was through his eyes alone, and he nailed it.

I want to see it again already.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

So here's a spoilery question: The little girl he keeps having flashbacks and visions of, near the end, calls him "pa" in one of them. Have they retconned Sprog into being a girl (and older) or is the implication that sometime between the events of the previous films and this he had another kid who also died?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

TheJoker138 posted:

The whole thing is a cartoon, and at a certain point basically all of the characters motivations become totally obscured. Like I still have no idea why they went back to bartertown at all. And I have less of an idea why Auntie let Max live after he destroyed her entire town beyond repair when just a few days before she was willing to kill him over the much smaller slight of not killing Blaster. The movie is a real poo poo show.

They probably figured on going back to Bartertown because otherwise it would have been wasted. Bartertown is the most fleshed out and central part of the movie, but Max gets sent away to deal with the stupid and annoying child tribe. It breaks up everything and brings the momentum the movie had been building up to a screeching halt.

And yeah, the ending of Beyond Thunderdome is one of the most absolutely bullshit things. It's almost like the writers wrote themselves into a corner and couldn't think of any reasonable way to conclude the film (that didn't involve a bigger, more explosive car chase that they didn't have the time for) and just had Auntie Entity go "Welp, you're badass. You may live."

TheJoker138 posted:

So here's a spoilery question: The little girl he keeps having flashbacks and visions of, near the end, calls him "pa" in one of them. Have they retconned Sprog into being a girl (and older) or is the implication that sometime between the events of the previous films and this he had another kid who also died?

They did. Honestly, I like the change. It lets them exploit Max's PTSD further than they could have if they religiously stuck to continuity.

A word of warning regarding continuity: the Mad Max films are effectively tall tales. The first three are indeed continuations of one another, but the second and third are shown by the finale to be basically stories of his journey told to a tribe. Max is sort of a legend character, and Fury Road is supposed to be one of the many legends of him. That's why he has his Pursuit Special at the beginning and it gets destroyed at the end, when Road Warrior had the exact same thing.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 08:50 on May 15, 2015

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

They probably figured on going back to Bartertown because otherwise it would have been wasted. Bartertown is the most fleshed out and central part of the movie, but Max gets sent away to deal with the stupid and annoying child tribe. It breaks up everything and brings the momentum the movie had been building up to a screeching halt.

And yeah, the ending of Beyond Thunderdome is one of the most absolutely bullshit things. It's almost like the writers wrote themselves into a corner and couldn't think of any reasonable way to conclude the film (that didn't involve a bigger, more explosive car chase that they didn't have the time for) and just had Auntie Entity go "Welp, you're badass. You may live."

The child tribe thing makes zero sense, too. Where did all these kids come from? The world hasn't even been totally hosed for that long, as in the first movie there are still vestiges of society hanging on, down to lawyers and courts still being a thing. Those older kids are probably old enough to remember at least SOME of that stuff. Tina Turner even talks about life before the apocalypse in the movie. So where the hell did a self sufficient tribe of warrior children with no adults, their own dialect, and their own loving religion/creation myth come from?

chitoryu12 posted:

They did. Honestly, I like the change. It lets them exploit Max's PTSD further than they could have if they religiously stuck to continuity.

A word of warning regarding continuity: the Mad Max films are effectively tall tales. The first three are indeed continuations of one another, but the second and third are shown by the finale to be basically stories of his journey told to a tribe. Max is sort of a legend character, and Fury Road is supposed to be one of the many legends of him. That's why he has his Pursuit Special at the beginning and it gets destroyed at the end, when Road Warrior had the exact same thing.

They did which? The retcon? And yeah, I get the tall tale/folk legend thing. It's just a few things have remained consistent between the previous films, and this change is a new, and pretty big one.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

TheJoker138 posted:

They did which? The retcon? And yeah, I get the tall tale/folk legend thing. It's just a few things have remained consistent between the previous films, and this change is a new, and pretty big one.

Yeah, it was retconned. Also I think this version of Max was a military police guy rather than MFP.

real_slime
Apr 21, 2015

by Lowtax

NESguerilla posted:

Dredd reminded me I liked action movies in the first place. They've been poo poo for like 15+years. My faith in the genre has been renewed since then.

Some of the qualities of this movie that people have been bringing up to praise it, like how it wastes little time on exposition and mostly just gets down to business, or its inclusion of female characters in many roles, have reminded me of Dredd. I think Dredd is one reason why I haven't been blown away by this - Mad Max: Fury Road didn't do anything that I haven't seen before, because I've seen Dredd (and apparently Dredd and The Raid are quite similar, although I haven't seen The Raid. Probably will).

I also wasn't as into the car-based action being almost all of the film. I'm a gun and fist fight kind of guy when it comes to action. The movie is so fantastical that I couldn't enjoy it the way I enjoy real car chase scenes where you can wrap your head around the skills and difficulties of racing cars around at high speeds, since these cars are all super-powered and juiced up with weird weapons. I turned off pretty early in because I thought 'oh this is another loving fantasy movie' - but this is to do with my expectations because I thought it was gonna be more of a gritty and plodding desert wasteland plodder with a few chase scenes spread about. I expected something a little different and didn't get as into it.

Dredd is a fantasy movie too. I liked that more cos it was more grounded in aesthetics and physical reality while still being completely ridiculous in terms of tone and setpieces.

real_slime fucked around with this message at 09:13 on May 15, 2015

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
Got to this last night, 3D Imax screening. ROAD WARRIOR is probably my favourite action flick of all time, so I was hoping to avoid the PHANTOM MENACE overhype/disappointment effect.

Still unable to wipe the smile off my face. George and co. nailed it.

The 3-D effects, converted or not, were stunning at times. (I seriously flinched when debris flew at my face) Spent most of today telling every one of my workmates exactly WHY they must see this.

I wonder if the wife wants to go see a Charlize Theron chick-flick this week?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Just saw it.

It was brilliant.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Just got back.

Oh my loving gently caress.

:allears:

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Saw it.

THAT WAS loving AMAZING. Don't read any reviews, just see it dammit... just loving see it.

About Max

I am getting a strong impression that a lot of people have never seen the first 3 movies, just read wikipedia articles on them, then act all surprised Max wasn't barking out orders.

Like out of any Mad Max film, Max does more in this story then any other. He has more agency then in any other, to the point where it really is out of character for what was established. It's great in a way though, as it shows he might finally be getting over what happened and is getting the redemption he wanted.

My ONE complaint

The 3d crash of the war rig and the ending in general.

That crash was bad and it really took me out of the movie. Like you had such a beautiful moment with Nux there, sacrificing himself, and then it's ruined by a giant 3D guitar flying above everyone followed by a steering wheel.

Then when they get to the citadel, I kinda of groaned when Furiosa turned out to be alive... albeit barely. Like I know for plot reasons, she needed to be alive so they could get into the citadel unless they wanted to do something really strange and make Max king, but I kind of went "really?"

Like I also knew that Max had to walk away at the end, but I expected them to do something like a short series of clips of him trying to adjust to life in the citadel, then failing, and then just driving out in a car. Him walking away with nothing except the cloths on his back and maybe a gun was another "really guys?" moment for me. I guess it fits the "tall tale" angle of the movies, but it was almost too sweet for me.

Still that was relatively minor complaints for what was a loving awesome movie.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

TheJoker138 posted:

The child tribe thing makes zero sense, too. Where did all these kids come from? The world hasn't even been totally hosed for that long, as in the first movie there are still vestiges of society hanging on, down to lawyers and courts still being a thing. Those older kids are probably old enough to remember at least SOME of that stuff. Tina Turner even talks about life before the apocalypse in the movie. So where the hell did a self sufficient tribe of warrior children with no adults, their own dialect, and their own loving religion/creation myth come from?

The kids seem to have been an homage to the classic PA novel Riddley Walker (Captain Walker), which is set hundreds of years after nuclear apocalypse when everyone's been reduced to Bronze Age conditions, speaks in a dialect that's only half comprehensible as English, and observes history via a strange ritual that bears a lot of similarity to TV.

I adore that book, so I'm always glad to see it referenced - and besides, Mad Max has always enjoyed being flexible about exploring different stages of apocalypse, without worrying about a coherent timeline. For me, the problem with the scene is not that it feels like Max has stumbled into another world (he has). It's that it stops the movie dead, and makes it feel directionless by taking such a huge, jarring left turn 50 minutes in.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
The kids' loopy lingo is fun as hell.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
The kid stuff is actually my favourite part of Beyond Thunderdome. I can look at it and say "yeah, I would've had fun with this when I was ten", while the opening Bartertown/Thunderdome stuff just feels like a mediocre Mad Max movie fed through an 80s camp machine that doesn't really come together.

Aunty Entity is a :krad: name, though.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

TheJoker138 posted:

I'm gonna say this is a different max. It has to be.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Like the war convoys constantly looming in the distance, this film is going to cast a long shadow over the year. What a loving triumph.

How the hell does a franchise come back after 30 years and completely dickpunt its vaunted predecessors off the wall?

George Miller

Jynetik
May 1, 2015
Just got back, still trying to decompress, like I want to talk about this movie but I don't even know where to begin.

This movie broke me.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

TheJoker138 posted:

They went to Bartertown because after crossing the desert they didn't have the resources to go anywhere else. Auntie lets Max live because Savannah is telling the story and she didn't see what really happened.

Also agree that this is a different Max in Fury Road. Apparently Miller "theorizes" that this Max was not a police officer, but some sort of soldier. I mean his idea is that they're all different characters that got fused together by oral histories, so...

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 10:55 on May 15, 2015

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
Okay! Finally saw it. I almost left it off until the next day, but decided gently caress sleep it's time for a one-man midnight showing. Kinda an odd feeling watching a wall-rattlingly loud and outrageous action flick in a big empty theater in the middle of the night! Super glad I did though! It loving owned.

I gotta admit, I was maybe a touch less enthralled than some people here have said they were, but it was practically the resurrection of our lord and savior Jesus Christ as far as I'm concerned so I'm not going to complain one bit. I'm totally going to go and see it again with some friends--and more than two hours of sleep before a 12 hour workday--this Sunday.

Though I thoroughly loved 99.9% of the movie, I think the way the soundtrack worked was my favorite part. It was just so cool when there'd be the drums or the guitar blaring and you'd just catch a little glimpse of the guitarist or the drummers playing along in time with it all. I dunno, it was just done really seamlessly and was just one of the many touches that really made this film stand out for me. The soundtrack just felt entirely grounded in what was happening on screen during the action scenes in ways I can't entirely articulate.

There's just so many little touches and attentions to detail in this film that I could really type pages. Instead I'll just say that if you saw the movie you probably noticed them and if you haven't seen it, then loving DO SEE IT ALRIGHT?!

Goddamn. I'm totally going to go and see it again with some friends--and not having just finished a full workday on just a few hours of sleep--this Sunday.

Like others have said, the 0.1% I didn't like was really just the war machine explosion at the end with the guitar and poo poo. It just came off as really cartoony and jarring. Granted there's a fair number of pretty obviously composited shots in the film that were somewhat cartoony but they always happened really fast and fit just fine as part of the frenetic action. I'll give George the benefit of the doubt on this and imagine some studio exec was pressuring him to end things with a silly shot that really only exists to scream YOU'RE SEEING THIS FUZZY AND DARK IMAGE IN 3-DEEEEEEEEEEEE

My only other disappointment is there not being a post-credits scene of the guitarist stumbling amidst the smoking wreckage of the war rig then falling to his knees and weeping for joy as he finds his guitar--and then plays a sweet victory riff. But hey, I'll let that one slide.

Fish Of Doom posted:

Whoa, I was like, "That kind of looks like downtown Santa Fe...wait a minute". What's up Santa Fe buddy?

Since you guys were sold out, I ended up going to the Regal.

Oh hey, who'd have guessed? Guess I can't be the only goon living in this moribund city.

Yeah, we were full up for all but the 10pm show unfortunately. Should've gotten advance tickets! You missed out on free popcorn! But you went to the Regal instead of those Violet Crown people so I won't hassle ya.

Next time you're at the JC, ask the box office person if the head projectionist is working at the moment and have them deliver some kind of typical goon handshake phrase--or God forbid, a normal person thing that a normal person would say. I'll make sure you get in on a discount or get a free popcorn or something.

Shadoer posted:

Like I also knew that Max had to walk away at the end, but I expected them to do something like a short series of clips of him trying to adjust to life in the citadel, then failing, and then just driving out in a car. Him walking away with nothing except the cloths on his back and maybe a gun was another "really guys?" moment for me. I guess it fits the "tall tale" angle of the movies, but it was almost too sweet for me.

Really it's just sorta how the Mad Max stories go in general. Considering that 2 out of the 3 before this ended with Max just sorta getting left out in the middle of nowhere my only real surprise was not having exactly that happen again.

grobbo posted:

The kids seem to have been an homage to the classic PA novel Riddley Walker (Captain Walker), which is set hundreds of years after nuclear apocalypse when everyone's been reduced to Bronze Age conditions, speaks in a dialect that's only half comprehensible as English, and observes history via a strange ritual that bears a lot of similarity to TV.

Unlike some people I love Mad Max 3 despite the fact that it's a total mess. There's alot of cool stuff--any homage to Riddley Walker is always my favorite homage in anything--but it's just completely scatterbrained and doesn't fit into anything resembling a cohesive whole. I think how little bits and phrases of the film have stuck to the collective pop culture consciousness despite it being generally terrible speaks volumes to that end.

TheJoker138 posted:

I think it's good it was kept vague and I wouldn't over-think it. Fury Road is beautiful in how it doesn't explain poo poo that don't need 'splaining. I sure hope the sequels follow suit. I also hope they continue the tradition of contradicting each other in various ways.

There's going to be sequels, right? Is it too early to start sequel-chat? Because I'm already wanting sequels. I must have sequels.

TerminalBlue fucked around with this message at 11:38 on May 15, 2015

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I'm gonna say this is a different max. It has to be.

I'm not sure why everyone is saying this is a retcon, it's entirely possible that Max had another kid or just adopted. It really seems like he joined or founded community as his PTSD-backs contain multiple characters including an old woman and an aboriginal man. I'm just not seeing how this doesn't mesh with what little established canon exists.

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
Hmmm, have to say I was pretty underwhelmed. The film is definitely good, but not what I went in hoping for. I, not sarcastically, wish it had been a bit crazier. All the talk of it being 'relentless' and 'one big chase scene' is inaccurate given that it quite clearly relents for a good chunk of the 2nd Act and alternates between short action scenes and dialogue scenes. I understand that these were necessary to establish character but I don't think the film succeeded in doing that so it would likely have been better off just sticking to the action. The different villains aren't established well enough for their presence to matter, ditto the heroes that come in after the first thirty minutes. Hell, Max isn't a character in the film, let alone the 'main' one.

I would have been much happier had Miller made this a non-Max movie set in the same universe; just made it about Charlize, who was far better than she needed to be. It's already getting slammed as too feminist, so why not steer into the skid if you're clearly not interested in the male lead? I guess I just feel like you either need to commit to fleshing out the different tribes, locations and characters or not do it at all.

As for where this fits, Miller has said that this is thirty years after Road Warrior (Which was fifteen years from now; Fury being fourty-five from now)so I doubt it's meant to be the exact same Max. A son makes more sense, but the characters doesn't exist enough for any of this to matter.

Viginti fucked around with this message at 11:17 on May 15, 2015

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Viginti posted:

Hmmm, have to say I was pretty underwhelmed. The film is definitely good, but not what I went in hoping for. I, not sarcastically, wish it had been a bit crazier. All the talk of it being 'relentless' and 'one big chase scene' is inaccurate given that it quite clearly relents for a good chunk of the 2nd Act and alternates between short action scenes and dialogue scenes. I understand that these were necessary to establish character but I don't think the film succeeded in doing that so it would likely have been better off just sticking to the action. The different villains aren't established well enough for their presence to matter, ditto the heroes that come in after the first thirty minutes. Hell, Max isn't a character in the film, let alone the 'main' one.

I would have been much happier had Miller made this a non-Max movie set in the same universe; just made it about Charlize, who was far better than she needed to be. It's already getting slammed as too feminist, so why not steer into the skid if you're clearly not interested in the male lead? I guess I just feel like you either need to commit to fleshing out the different tribes, locations and characters or not do it at all.

As for where this fits, Miller has said that this is thirty years after Road Warrior (Which was fifteen years from now; Fury being fourty-five from now)so I doubt it's meant to be the exact same Max. A son makes more sense, but the characters doesn't exist enough for any of this to matter.

Max is a character in this and definitely the lead :confused:

like he's got a character arc and everything, from wanting to dump the ladies to trying to seek redemption for losing his daughter and saving them.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 11:25 on May 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015

hemale in pain posted:

Yes he is a character :confused:

I feel like at least three or four others were better developed than Max, which is saying something since there wasn't much character development going around.

Now, before I'm misconstrued I don't want or need character from a movie like this. It's insane action first and foremost and that stuff worked. It should just have been that stuff.

• Locked thread