Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Im A Lime
Nov 18, 2007

What were the questions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Susical posted:

What were the questions?

Basic questions about the department I was interviewing with such as what other departments do you guys communicate with? What does a normal day look like for this specific position? etc.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Busy Bee posted:

I had a phone interview last week on Thursday and I'm confident it went very well and I will probably be moved forward to the next step of the hiring process. Out of all the phone interviews I've had in the past, this one was unusual in the sense that the person interviewing me only had a 30 minute block to speak to me with. Usually the interviewer will continue for 5 - 15 minutes after the allotted time.

Around the 28 minute mark, she asked me if I had any questions for her, I had a few questions prepared but was only able to ask the first one. She answered it and then cut me off saying she's run out of time and that if I have any additional questions I am more than welcome to email her. Although that sounds negative, I'm sure that she just had the next phone interview with another candidate right after.

My question is, should I actually email her the additional questions I have? I'm thinking I will just send her a generic email saying "Thanks for your time, nice talking to you, blah blah blah". What do you guy's think?

If she said you can email her questions, of course you should email her your questions. You want them answered, right?

I'm assuming the questions were appropriate for that stage of the interview. But that is a different question (ha!) entirely.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
If you actually want the questions answered then you should ask them. If you don't care and they were just filler the don't.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER

asur posted:

If you actually want the questions answered then you should ask them. If you don't care and they were just filler the don't.

I have tougth a lot about this lately. I have often heard that by asking questions you portray yourself as someone who is more interested and engaged then someone who does not. On numerous occasions i have asked various questions that i did not really care about just to have something to ask about. If i don`t do this the interviews tend to be a lot quicker than planned ( which is usually a bad sign). Last Friday i attended a interview which i felt went really well. Good personal chemistry, a case that i completely aced and some well tougth out answers from me. But i only asked one or two questions myself and the whole affair was over 20 minutes ahead of schedule ( 1,10 hours instead of 1,5 hours). I was also kinda vague on the salary question now that i think about, they migth think my demands were a bit higher than what they really are. All in all i decided that i would go with the flow and focus on being relaxed rather than being super inquisitive. I hope it pays off.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I've got an internal interview tomorrow before work for a position that I think would be absolutely perfect for me and I'm starting to freak out about it a bit. :supaburn:

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009
My assessment center is tomorrow and since it is a group one. I was wondering if I should write a thank you note to everyone who would interview me on the day if I can grab their name?

Also what should I write it on? would a blank card be suffice or are their special cards at a newsagent that I can grab?

And when I write these out, do I just give them to the receptionist when I go back?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I've got an internal interview tomorrow before work for a position that I think would be absolutely perfect for me and I'm starting to freak out about it a bit. :supaburn:

You already have two steps up over everyone else for being internal so I hope that makes you feel a little bit better.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Baudolino posted:

I have tougth a lot about this lately. I have often heard that by asking questions you portray yourself as someone who is more interested and engaged then someone who does not. On numerous occasions i have asked various questions that i did not really care about just to have something to ask about. If i don`t do this the interviews tend to be a lot quicker than planned ( which is usually a bad sign). Last Friday i attended a interview which i felt went really well. Good personal chemistry, a case that i completely aced and some well tougth out answers from me. But i only asked one or two questions myself and the whole affair was over 20 minutes ahead of schedule ( 1,10 hours instead of 1,5 hours). I was also kinda vague on the salary question now that i think about, they migth think my demands were a bit higher than what they really are. All in all i decided that i would go with the flow and focus on being relaxed rather than being super inquisitive. I hope it pays off.

I would always recommend that you have one or two questions since unless they run out of time they'll ask if you have any. The above was more specifically if they say you can email them questions, in which case I don't really think it matters if you ask and thus shouldn't if you don't care.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

bamhand posted:

You already have two steps up over everyone else for being internal so I hope that makes you feel a little bit better.

Yeah I hope so! I see tons of promotion announcement emails here (we're not a huge company so they announce everything) so I'm pretty optimistic that they really lean towards promoting from
within.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Not a good day on the job search: saw a very interesting job, with the deadline today. And today I discover that the deadline meant not t_today_ but _by_ today.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
edit: nm it was all cleared up today.

Alfalfa fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 15, 2015

Initio
Oct 29, 2007
!

Busy Bee posted:

I applied for an analyst position where I will potentially be analyzing large amounts of data using SQL. However, in the qualifications, it says Python / PHP experience is a plus. I am not familiar with either of those tools or how it would apply to using a different software such as SQL. Does anyone know how either of those tools would factor in to analyzing data or would it be used in a different way?

Python and PHP are both programming languages. You might use then to format your results, automate steps in a process, or prepare new data so it could be loaded into a database. Or they could be looking for someone that can also do software development in addition to data analysis.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
I don't know if people are still critiquing resumes, but here's mine. I feel like the skills section is a little weak, and the work experience is a little too verbose, but I'm not sure exactly how to clean it up while at the same time conveying what I was up to while self-employed.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1d5JcsrErwOk9Qb_mFJgq1wKNS6czuJrQRLCNlR40nWo/edit?usp=sharing

E: this is babby's first resume :woop:

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Leroy Diplowski posted:

I don't know if people are still critiquing resumes, but here's mine. I feel like the skills section is a little weak, and the work experience is a little too verbose, but I'm not sure exactly how to clean it up while at the same time conveying what I was up to while self-employed.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1d5JcsrErwOk9Qb_mFJgq1wKNS6czuJrQRLCNlR40nWo/edit?usp=sharing

Work Experience

Owner/Operator Raley's Confectionary, Tallahassee, FL; Feb 2013 - May 2015
- New product Development: Turned an idea to a product, selling over 200,000 units in 2 years.
- Technology: Developed and administered e-commerce website; used various programs for business development, benchmarking, strategy, and bookkeeping.
- Sales: Facilitated buying process for over 100 B2B accounts including Whole Foods, Fox Onestop Media, Sea Island, Lolli and Pop, and more.
- Event Management: Planned and supervised over a dozen promotional events at FSU, Whole Foods, Sea Island, The NHML, The Tallahassee Museum of Natural History, The city of Thomasville, and more.
- Supply Chain Management: Managed Procurement, Logistics, Planning, and A/P for over 20 suppliers.
- Marketing: Ran Social media campaigns on twitter, facebook, and instagram, as well as SEO.
- Cost accounting: Maintained Balance sheets, Income statement, Statement of cash flow, and Prepared annual filings as well as reemployment taxes, sales taxes, and social security payments.

General Manager REDACTED, Tallahassee, FL; Aug 2010 - Feb 2013
- Managment: Interviewing, scheduling, training, and management of employees as well as customer service in person, via e-mail, and over the phone.
- Administration: Labor audits, Drupal Website Maintenance, and some basic bookkeeping.
- Events: Planned participation in events for
- Trade Show: Participated in the Atlanta International Gift and Home Furnishings Market doing product demonstrations, supervision of other employees at the show, booth setup and tear down.

Education

Florida A&M 2010-2012
Bachelor's in Business Administration

Brevard Community College 2006-2008
Associate of Arts

Skills

- Excellent written and verbal professional communication
- Basic web design
- Strategic Planning
- Proficiency in all MS office programs
- Comfortable and confident public speaking
Fix the typos. Make the verb tenses consistent. Use consistent capitalization throughout the document. Use consistent punctuation; either end all your lists with periods or not. It doesn't matter which, as long as it is consistent. Instead of "over a dozen", use an exact number. Don't say "including A, B, C, and more." Drop the "and more". It's redundant with "including". Don't use "as well as" when you can simply use "and". Don't use underlining, italics, and bold throughout the document to create impact. It makes it look like a mess. Finish the sentence under the Events sub-tab.

You should probably also drop the line about excellent written professional communication, at least until you fix the typos.

Edit: I know I'm being a bit harsh, but you're going to get much more useful advice in here if you give us a second or third draft rather than a raw first draft.

Dik Hz fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 18, 2015

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Dik Hz posted:

Edit: I know I'm being a bit harsh, but you're going to get much more useful advice in here if you give us a second or third draft rather than a raw first draft.

I appreciate the harshness! working on cleaning it up now.

e: I'm afraid if I drop the underlining, italics, and bold then it will look like a sea of text. Are there some formatting tricks to use, or am I just misjudging the eyesight of a potential resume reader?

e2: Managment, lol - I could have sworn I fixed that :downs:. Oh wait, I uploaded the wrong draft to google docs

Leroy Diplowski fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 18, 2015

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Leroy Diplowski posted:

I appreciate the harshness! working on cleaning it up now.

e: I'm afraid if I drop the underlining, italics, and bold then it will look like a sea of text. Are there some formatting tricks to use, or am I just misjudging the eyesight of a potential resume reader?

e2: Managment, lol - I could have sworn I fixed that :downs:. Oh wait, I uploaded the wrong draft to google docs
I went through and did a pass on your resume. A lot of my changes are personal preference things, so feel free to revert them if you don't like them. I like bold headings and regular text for bullet points. This is just personal preference and a style guide or someone with more experience would be a much better reference than me. I also like capital first letter on a list or heading and everything else lower case, except for proper nouns. This is also a personal style preference. I'd love to hear from an expert on this.

So, as for the changes. I don't like the "subheading: Stuff I did" format. I'm much more interested in what you actually did. When you lead with the subheading instead of the action, it puts you in a box instead of letting me figure out what you actually did. As a caveat, I am a hiring manager and not an HR person. When I get resumes, it's because either a recruiter or and HR person has passed them along to me. An HR type may give different advice and I'd love to hear it.

I also recommend axing your skills section. Excellent communication is something that everyone thinks they have, but needs to demonstrate by actually communicating effectively. Basic skills probably shouldn't be put on a resume. And your other three entries I think are best demonstrated by inclusion as action-verb blurbs in your job experience rather than listed in a skills section. "Used product demand forecasting software to determine appropriate inventory levels" is more convincing than listing strategic planning as a skill.

Again, these are just my opinions.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Can you afford Resumes to Interview's services? I mean, are you living out of your car?

You seem like you would really get a lot of value from it. A lot of value.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

totalnewbie posted:

Can you afford Resumes to Interview's services? I mean, are you living out of your car?

You seem like you would really get a lot of value from it. A lot of value.

I would highly recommend it. If I remember correctly it cost around $200 or so but it was worth every penny. The whole process took a few weeks so just keep that in mind. Always good to have though.

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 07:55 on May 20, 2015

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos

Dik Hz posted:

I went through and did a pass on your resume. A lot of my changes are personal preference things, so feel free to revert them if you don't like them. I like bold headings and regular text for bullet points. This is just personal preference and a style guide or someone with more experience would be a much better reference than me. I also like capital first letter on a list or heading and everything else lower case, except for proper nouns. This is also a personal style preference. I'd love to hear from an expert on this.

So, as for the changes. I don't like the "subheading: Stuff I did" format. I'm much more interested in what you actually did. When you lead with the subheading instead of the action, it puts you in a box instead of letting me figure out what you actually did. As a caveat, I am a hiring manager and not an HR person. When I get resumes, it's because either a recruiter or and HR person has passed them along to me. An HR type may give different advice and I'd love to hear it.

I also recommend axing your skills section. Excellent communication is something that everyone thinks they have, but needs to demonstrate by actually communicating effectively. Basic skills probably shouldn't be put on a resume. And your other three entries I think are best demonstrated by inclusion as action-verb blurbs in your job experience rather than listed in a skills section. "Used product demand forecasting software to determine appropriate inventory levels" is more convincing than listing strategic planning as a skill.

Again, these are just my opinions.

I'd really like to get in touch with you on a private level. Could you please reach out to me at alendine at gmail dot com? You are in my field, and I could use some guidance on how to get hired. I'd really appreciate your help!

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004
I had an interview last week and, after watching silicon valley, have the distinct feeling that they were just trying to pick my brain for free. IE brain rape

• Asked detailed questions about how to structure CAD for easy replacement of parts in assemblies.
  • Took notes when I described (partly) a technique for creating dummy parts with datums, for template models
  • Wanted to know exactly how Navistar structured their system which creates BOMs from feature codes
  • Were fishing for design tips on robotic welding and weld design
  • Guy in elevator said "oh another one huh" when I got on with interviewing engineer

Am I being paranoid? How common is this? Are there warning signs I can use to spot this in the future?

edit - nevermind actually got the job

Giblet Plus! fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 19, 2015

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Giblet Plus! posted:

I had an interview last week and, after watching silicon valley, have the distinct feeling that they were just trying to pick my brain for free. IE brain rape

• Asked detailed questions about how to structure CAD for easy replacement of parts in assemblies.
  • Took notes when I described (partly) a technique for creating dummy parts with datums, for template models
  • Wanted to know exactly how Navistar structured their system which creates BOMs from feature codes
  • Were fishing for design tips on robotic welding and weld design
  • Guy in elevator said "oh another one huh" when I got on with interviewing engineer

Am I being paranoid? How common is this? Are there warning signs I can use to spot this in the future?

edit - nevermind actually got the job

Maybe they're just trying to pick your brain for free some more. Demand payment before divulging anything else!

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Went in yesterday for an interview for a Corporate Assistant position at a major law firm. I'm fresh out of grad school and this is the first Real Job I've ever interviewed for. I have an employer recommendation from a senior partner, and the interviewer seemed to like many of the responses to her questions. The only downside is she did such a good job explaining the details of what the job entailed that I wound up not having too many questions at the end. I really hope that didn't screw me over. She didn't say at the end when I would be notified of their decision. Is that a really bad sign? She's not the hiring manager, but merely someone who works in the business law department. I've been told by others who work in law not to sweat it and that this is simply how some firms function, especially larger ones.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Inept posted:

Maybe they're just trying to pick your brain for free some more. Demand payment before divulging anything else!

Everyone knows you're not hired until your first check clears :v:

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
How much success would I have applying to full-time jobs as a grad student pursuing a two-year professional degree? I've finished my first year and I'd like to work over the summer full time and could commit to 32 hours next fall - how can I best explain this without getting my application immediately binned (if it's even possible)?

I've tried applying to about 20 internships, but been completely unsuccessful. I suspect it's a combination of them being extremely competitive, the fact that I've been out of school longer than most other students in my class, and my working experience is entirely in full-time jobs, with the most recent being in an assistant supervisor type role - not exactly typical summer intern experience.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

HisMajestyBOB posted:

How much success would I have applying to full-time jobs as a grad student pursuing a two-year professional degree? I've finished my first year and I'd like to work over the summer full time and could commit to 32 hours next fall - how can I best explain this without getting my application immediately binned (if it's even possible)?

I've tried applying to about 20 internships, but been completely unsuccessful. I suspect it's a combination of them being extremely competitive, the fact that I've been out of school longer than most other students in my class, and my working experience is entirely in full-time jobs, with the most recent being in an assistant supervisor type role - not exactly typical summer intern experience.

I have quite a few full-time colleagues who are attending grad school, but none of them were hired while they were in grad school. That being said, I think you should go for it, just say you're currently in grad school on your resume, but otherwise don't call attention to how much you are able to work until you get to the interview. 32 hours is pretty full-time, so I don't think you'd be outright lying.

FromTheShire
Feb 19, 2005

Panzers on Russian soil, Thunder in the east.
One million men at war,
The Soviet wrath unleashed
My sister is applying for a production manager position at the TV station she is currently working at, and I have given her some of the advice from the OP to help shape up the rough draft. However, they have also asked for a "personal mission statement" and I'm not sure what that entails or where it should go - is that something that's included with the cover letter or in the body of the resume itself?

Deegan
Dec 12, 2008
Are you getting screwed over by using a recruiter or a placement service when looking for a job?

When I've used them on the hiring side I've always felt that the rate we are paying for an individual is so much higher than what we'd be willing to pay a full time hire. For example, we'd pay a temp/recruiting agency $30 for someone that might normally earn $18-$22 in a full time position.

Now that I'm looking for a new job myself, I'm wondering If I'm getting overlooked because the recruiter is jacking up my asking rate too high. As a direct hire I'd be happy with $40 an hour, but are they bumping me up to $70/hour to make their margin? Sheesh, I'd have trouble justifying paying myself $70 an hour.

Now I understand that benefits and such are not included, but it still makes me wonder if the recruiter is pricing me out of jobs.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
That's typical for service contracts. The trick to pricing strategy is (in an ideal world, where you can approximate a client's overhead and fringe costs) to set the fully-burdened billable rate (the cost charged to the client by the contractor) at just below that price point where it makes an attractive amount of cost savings. Because overhead and fringe (plus G&A, for government services contractors) together can make up around 30-40% of the total labor cost of an employee, a well run consulting firm has room to propose a sliding cost that includes fee (aka margin) and will still make a profit after their own internal overhead costs are taken into account while the total cost to the client is lower than the cost of an in-house employee.

Direct labor rate (what is actually being paid to you, as the contractor employee) is always going to be much lower than a fully burdened cost that a client is paying to the contracted company.

In other words, you're not accounting (enough?) for the indirect costs of an employee vs. a contractor employee. Looking at the numbers you gave, the rates don't look too out of the ordinary to me.

e: in case that wasn't what you're asking, it could also be that you're underestimating the buildup of indirect costs within your own company.

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 20, 2015

Deegan
Dec 12, 2008

HiroProtagonist posted:

That's typical for service contracts. The trick to pricing strategy is (in an ideal world, where you can approximate a client's overhead and fringe costs) to set the fully-burdened billable rate (the cost charged to the client by the contractor) at just below that price point where it makes an attractive amount of cost savings. Because overhead and fringe (plus G&A, for government services contractors) together can make up around 30-40% of the total labor cost of an employee, a well run consulting firm has room to propose a sliding cost that includes fee (aka margin) and will still make a profit after their own internal overhead costs are taken into account while the total cost to the client is lower than the cost of an in-house employee.

Direct labor rate (what is actually being paid to you, as the contractor employee) is always going to be much lower than a fully burdened cost that a client is paying to the contracted company.

In other words, you're not accounting (enough?) for the indirect costs of an employee vs. a contractor employee. Looking at the numbers you gave, the rates don't look too out of the ordinary to me.

e: in case that wasn't what you're asking, it could also be that you're underestimating the buildup of indirect costs within your own company.

Excellent answer. Thank you so much for your clear answer. That makes complete sense. I guess I was just a little too worrie that I was getting priced out of the market. It seemed that the agency, my company was using to hire temps, was throwing us anyone who had Revit in there resume, no matter the skill level. It was a frustrating experience. I didn't want to be that for some other company.

rjderouin
May 21, 2007
I remember there being a good goon resume writing service, anyone know who that was, and if that person was any good?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Resumes to interviews, check sa mart

And yes, very good

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Deegan posted:

Are you getting screwed over by using a recruiter or a placement service when looking for a job?

When I've used them on the hiring side I've always felt that the rate we are paying for an individual is so much higher than what we'd be willing to pay a full time hire. For example, we'd pay a temp/recruiting agency $30 for someone that might normally earn $18-$22 in a full time position.

Now that I'm looking for a new job myself, I'm wondering If I'm getting overlooked because the recruiter is jacking up my asking rate too high. As a direct hire I'd be happy with $40 an hour, but are they bumping me up to $70/hour to make their margin? Sheesh, I'd have trouble justifying paying myself $70 an hour.

Now I understand that benefits and such are not included, but it still makes me wonder if the recruiter is pricing me out of jobs.

Depends on the recruiter and their company but at the end of the day the recruiter's job is to get you a job, so they're not going to do anything to hurt your chances of getting hired.

I just transitioned from contractor to direct and got a pay bump in the process since my company no longer has to pay out the rear end for my work (my recruiter was skimming a full third of my income, those assholes).

Latro
Dec 12, 2007
Everything clever, said by someone else, I claim to be mine!
edit: not relevant anymore, might as well edit it out.

Latro fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jun 8, 2015

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Latro posted:

How do you broach the subject with a perspective employer that you were laid off as part of a mass workforce reduction? This happened to me with my employer (company A) last week which was my first job after college and although I was not ecstatic about working there I was pretty content with work environment, coworkers, boss, compensation, etc. At the time, before starting with company A I had to choose between it and company B where I had offers for both. The offers were VERY different - A's offer was 20K more. So I ended up choosing A and stayed there for about 4 years. Ironically, the work I ended up doing over the years was very close to what company B is doing - the two companies are direct competitors in this specific field. For grins and giggles, after my layoff, I applied to B for a position very similar (more or less the same responsibilities and qualifications) to what I was doing at A. I have a phone interview scheduled with them (B). Not to get too ahead of myself, but I think I stand a good chance of getting a in-person followup interview and even an offer - it is a niche industry, I have a lot of relevant experience and have literally received an offer from them when I didn't have relevant experience. The question is - how do I present myself in a position of strength? Should I mention the layoff and that I turned down their offer a long time ago?(ofcourse I wouldnt bring that up outright, but what would be a good strategy to respond to questions like that - i.e. "You didnt want us 4 years ago, why would we want you now?") I like B, and I think I would enjoy working there but I am not desperate to that for a very lowball offer. I don't really have other solid options to choose right now, although I chasing a few things. What would be a good way to present myself as interested in a position but not desperate to get it? Financially, I am pretty OK too - I have about 1.3 years of net salary in liquid savings, 0 debt and I am due to receive severance from A as well.

Firstly, I really doubt they're going to hold your decision to earn more money than they were offering four years ago against you.

Second, just be up front about why you're applying. Being made redundant/part of a mass layoff is a pretty standard reason to be seeking employment. Unless you got fired for gross misconduct or lovely performance it's unlikely any employer will be concerned. Just go with "I got laid off so I'm exploring other opportunities and I think I can bring a lot of skills and knowledge you can use".

Latro
Dec 12, 2007
Everything clever, said by someone else, I claim to be mine!
Gotcha, thanks. That was going to be my default response, I just wasn't sure if there was a better way to position myself or not.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Deegan posted:

Rule of thumb is that it costs ~40-50% more than your salary to employ you in terms of benefits, payroll taxes, and overhead.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Even though I've gone by my middle name since birth (if I were named Mark Alexander Smith, for example, people would call me Alex), I've always used my legal first name with middle initial on my resume, LinkedIn profile, etc; I should continue to do this instead of using just my middle name, correct? My old boss wrote me a letter of recommendation and used my middle name instead of my proper first name which brought this up.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

GobiasIndustries posted:

Even though I've gone by my middle name since birth (if I were named Mark Alexander Smith, for example, people would call me Alex), I've always used my legal first name with middle initial on my resume, LinkedIn profile, etc; I should continue to do this instead of using just my middle name, correct? My old boss wrote me a letter of recommendation and used my middle name instead of my proper first name which brought this up.

Use first initial, middle name, last name. I have colleagues in your boat and they both do that. So M. Alex Smith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Dik Hz posted:

Use first initial, middle name, last name. I have colleagues in your boat and they both do that. So M. Alex Smith.

Ah, I like this! That'll let me use my middle name on all the online profiles and keep the first initial on my resume for formal stuff. Thanks!