Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
This season felt like they had a list of boxes they needed to check and they hamfistedly wrote a story around them. The flashbacks started ok and then got really bad. They went on way longer than they needed to. They should have ended a couple episodes before the finale. Felicity was insufferable and everything seemed like it was Oliver's fault. Any character development they had as a cast was overwhelmingly negative.

I felt like I was hate-watching the show this season like I did Agents of Shield last season. I hope they find a stronger direction next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

BrianWilly posted:

Remember when everyone was angry at me earlier this year for saying that the flashbacks were bad.

At least they are getting shorter. I think they had a 5 second flashback in that finale.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
I remember when the flashbacks were at least somewhat thematically connected to that week's episode, that was cool. I think this happened maybe... twice this season.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

Remember when everyone was angry at me earlier this year for saying that the flashbacks were bad.

Nope - Pretty much everyone hated the flashbacks this season.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Colton Hayes is gone from the show.... wtf. He better be in the other show.

Wasting Roy is criminal

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
It was all downhill for Roy the moment he stopped making his flips.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
The flashbacks might be better served by having 2-3 all-flashback or flashback-heavy episodes and then mostly leaving them alone. They way they were sprinkled in in tiny doses this season just disrupted the main storyline and made the flashback storyline difficult to care about.

Krad posted:

It was all downhill for Roy the moment he stopped making his flips.

At least we know Roy will never be truly alone, as long as he has parkour by his side

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Soothing Vapors posted:

The flashbacks might be better served by having 2-3 all-flashback or flashback-heavy episodes and then mostly leaving them alone. They way they were sprinkled in in tiny doses this season just disrupted the main storyline and made the flashback storyline difficult to care about.

But what if Oliver needs to learn a lesson about telling the truth? Or not to talk to strangers??

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

But what if Oliver needs to learn a lesson about telling the truth? Or not to talk to strangers??

...again

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
The only thing I can tell you about the flashbacks is that it had guns and asians and a kid

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Eh, Roy continually got shafted in editing. Many of his scenes ended up left on the cutting room floor. He essentially became the Thea support group who occasionally got a scene of him flipping and shooting an Arrow.

I could see why Colton would want to opt out of his contract.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I think they had a different plan in mind for the Hong Kong flashbacks. At the start of the season they seemed to be setting up a Waller/Argus is corrosive and bad plotline that just got dropped completely in favor of the general and his nonsensical urge to kill everyone in Hong Kong because China is bad? :shrug:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

howe_sam posted:

I think they had a different plan in mind for the Hong Kong flashbacks. At the start of the season they seemed to be setting up a Waller/Argus is corrosive and bad plotline that just got dropped completely in favor of the general and his nonsensical urge to kill everyone in Hong Kong because China is bad? :shrug:
Good point. I wonder if they had to change the Waller storyline because of the movie, it did seem like she went from being the Big Bad to being a total nonfactor in the span of one episode.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Soothing Vapors posted:

Good point. I wonder if they had to change the Waller storyline because of the movie, it did seem like she went from being the Big Bad to being a total nonfactor in the span of one episode.

I remember reading something about having problems with Waller's actresses' schedule and how they couldn't use her as much as they had wanted to, so yeah, they probably did write around that, just not because of the movies.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Rocksicles posted:

Colton Hayes is gone from the show.... wtf. He better be in the other show.

He's not.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
If Arrow can find a way to permanently swap Laurel from Arrow w/ White Canary from Legends, I'm willing to forgive season 3.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Dead Snoopy posted:

If Arrow can find a way to permanently swap Laurel from Arrow w/ White Canary from Legends, I'm willing to forgive season 3.

Laurel's fine though?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So next season's going to be Ollie, Diggle, Laurel, Thea and Felicity. That's going to be about as tight as the cast has been at this point, which bodes well. Part of the problem with the season, in my opinion, is that the storylines were kind of all over the place and they just had to do too much to service each character.

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011
Laurel won a straight one on one fight guys

Im so proud of her

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I just realized with Oliver getting with Felicity this is the second time he's snaked a girl from somebody when they were in a relationship already. But Ray stole his company so I guest it makes them even?

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bad Moon posted:

I just realized with Oliver getting with Felicity this is the second time he's snaked a girl from somebody when they were in a relationship already. But Ray stole his company so I guest it makes them even?

Hmm I dunno, didn't Ray SAVE his company too or was that the S2 stuff?

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
Pretty decent setup to get it back to Oliver and give him something to do in the city. Plus there's that whole "Queen inc. Waynetech merger" thing

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Bad Moon posted:

But Ray stole his company so I guest it makes them even?

Umm, Ollie had all but abandoned his company and it was getting hosed by any conceivable measure of such things. Ray came in and saved it, and managed it better.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah well if some guy rescued my girlfriend from drowning and then started loving her on the reg I'd be sore at him.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

zoux posted:

Yeah well if some guy rescued my girlfriend from drowning and then started loving her on the reg I'd be sore at him.

Which one is Ollie and which one is Ray?

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
With the Arrow costume in evidence lockers and the League costume having been in use for a few episodes now, I thought sure we'd see a costume change/upgrade for next season. Looks like he's back in the old getup for the Legends team pep talk, though.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

wereboat posted:

Laurel won a straight one on one fight guys

Im so proud of her

I'm not sure a virus-inflicted, dying henchman counts, if that's who it was.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Ville Valo posted:

With the Arrow costume in evidence lockers and the League costume having been in use for a few episodes now, I thought sure we'd see a costume change/upgrade for next season. Looks like he's back in the old getup for the Legends team pep talk, though.

He can call up mah boi Cisco to whip him up another one.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Just pretend S3 never came back from the midseason finale and then things seem much better

although I still liked the second half

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy

Ville Valo posted:

I believe that was filmed separately and they've said he'll be getting some new duds.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

zoux posted:

So next season's going to be Ollie, Diggle, Laurel, Thea and Felicity. That's going to be about as tight as the cast has been at this point, which bodes well. Part of the problem with the season, in my opinion, is that the storylines were kind of all over the place and they just had to do too much to service each character.

Well that is the cast we have now, that doesn't mean they won't add more again.

The only thing I liked about this season's flashbacks was right at the end where we saw Ollie turning into the cold killer that arrived back at the start of season one.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Drifter posted:

Umm, Ollie had all but abandoned his company and it was getting hosed by any conceivable measure of such things. Ray came in and saved it, and managed it better.

I'm not gonna defend Ollie's fiscal incompetence, but Ray did buy the company just to get technology so he can fly around and play hero, and he more or less ignored the company afterwards for his personal crusade like Ollie did then signed it over to Felicity.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Ray also purchased a whole chain of stores just to get into Felicity's pants. Ray owns!!!

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy

Bad Moon posted:

I'm not gonna defend Ollie's fiscal incompetence, but Ray did buy the company just to get technology so he can fly around and play hero, and he more or less ignored the company afterwards for his personal crusade like Ollie did then signed it over to Felicity.

There is specifically a scene where Oliver meets with Ray because he had a scheduled meeting. Ray is definitely still running the company, he's even taking meetings!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Bad Moon posted:

Ray has literally been rrunning the company, creating and implementing long term city-beneficial plans for it, and all the other stuff including meetings with people. He ALSO does his research, but not to the detriment of the company. I don't know where you're getting all that poo poo you said.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Drifter posted:

He ALSO does his research, but not to the detriment of the company.

To be fair there was that one time he spent so long on his suit that the stock in the company dropped because people thought he was dead or whatever

God only knows what's gonna happen to PalmerTech this time :smith:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Valeyard posted:

To be fair there was that one time he spent so long on his suit that the stock in the company dropped because people thought he was dead or whatever

God only knows what's gonna happen to PalmerTech this time :smith:

PalmerTech'll probably restructure, shrink down a little bit.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
I'm assuming flashback Oliver's travels will be taking him to Russia next season.

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011

Krad posted:

I'm not sure a virus-inflicted, dying henchman counts, if that's who it was.

The other one beat up diggle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

wereboat posted:

The other one beat up diggle

I like that he slit his own throat so you didn't have to wonder "Um, did Speedy just kill a guy in plain sight?"

• Locked thread