Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Cool, thanks! I'll be sad to say goodbye to my level 35 moon-language dragon lady, but it'll be cool to actually know what's going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH

Pierson posted:

You don't really need a quickstart guide, this is basically your standard themepark MMO: You move from zone to zone as you level, killing poo poo. Thre are storylines and subquests but nothing you won't be familiar with from other MMOs. The only thing you really need to pay attention to is your Avatar weapon: Starting at something like level 20 shards of these will drop from every enemy you fight and when you have enough you assemble them into a weapon that has a higher (much higher?) chance to crit vs enemies of a similar level to it. You want to be making these weapons as soon as they become available.

TERA also has BAMs which are basically super-tough monsters, usually every zone has one or two collections of them. They give massive EXP if you kill the ones appropriate to your level and also drop a shitton of loot when killed, so if you're capable of either soloing them or finding a group farming them it is worth doing that for a little while).

Reaper and Gunner are the two newest classes and both of them are baller as poo poo: Reaper starts at level 50 like Death Knights and are Kratos-style dual-burning-chain-slinging blenders, Gunners are miniature nuclear arsenals that start at level 1 like the old classes but are strong enough to solo every dungeon pretty much up to like level 60 with minimum skill.

Apart from that just ask questions here, the thread doesn't really have that much conversation in it, we'll be happy to explain poo poo.

So there's no secret to leveling other than use your boosts and keep at it? Hoo boy. I just spent 4 hours getting a level and a half at level 40(to 42), this'll be fun.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

quaunaut posted:

So there's no secret to leveling other than use your boosts and keep at it? Hoo boy. I just spent 4 hours getting a level and a half at level 40(to 42), this'll be fun.

Boosts, dungeons, and killing BAMs are typically recommended for faster leveling. Picking up all of the quests for a dungeon before your first run is also a good move. It is pretty standard themepark MMO stuff in that regard. I don't recall going from 40-42 taking me 4 hours though.

Zweihander01
May 4, 2009

Gave this a shot because it seemed neat. Warrior is kinda fun, seems like it's mostly just dodging around mobs while slashing them up, or activating a skill to let me eat attacks with my face. Only got to like level 8 so I don't exactly know how they tank though, is it just dodge-tanking?

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Zweihander01 posted:

Gave this a shot because it seemed neat. Warrior is kinda fun, seems like it's mostly just dodging around mobs while slashing them up, or activating a skill to let me eat attacks with my face. Only got to like level 8 so I don't exactly know how they tank though, is it just dodge-tanking?

You get a block too.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Xavier434 posted:

You get a block too.

It's about making sure you never take unmitigated hits. Either you dodge it and take nothing or you use a skill's animation damage reduction to take it on the chin or you block it.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

It's about making sure you never take unmitigated hits. Either you dodge it and take nothing or you use a skill's animation damage reduction to take it on the chin or you block it.

Also, tanks are in high demand with 99% of people gunners at the moment.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

quaunaut posted:

What class are you playing? If you're a tank or healer there's zero reason not to queue for dungeons the second you can and never, ever leave them. If you're Reaper or Gunner do the same but solo the dungeons instead. If you're not one of those classes then yeah, unfortunately things slow down considerably. Try killing BAMs in whatever area you're in, they give massive experience and I think they toned them down to be merely challenging to solo instead of an endless slog.

Also to Zweihander01 if you find you like the idea of tanking in this game you can also try Lancer with it's huge block, and Berserker which is getting a tank stance sometime in the future.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH

Pierson posted:

What class are you playing? If you're a tank or healer there's zero reason not to queue for dungeons the second you can and never, ever leave them. If you're Reaper or Gunner do the same but solo the dungeons instead. If you're not one of those classes then yeah, unfortunately things slow down considerably. Try killing BAMs in whatever area you're in, they give massive experience and I think they toned them down to be merely challenging to solo instead of an endless slog.

Also to Zweihander01 if you find you like the idea of tanking in this game you can also try Lancer with it's huge block, and Berserker which is getting a tank stance sometime in the future.

I'm playing a Warrior. I suppose I could hop into tanking- I was wanting to, once I found my feet. I'm just afraid of really screwing the pooch my first run or two.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
Warrior tanking is so much fun,with 2x exp dungeons go quick.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

quaunaut posted:

I'm playing a Warrior. I suppose I could hop into tanking- I was wanting to, once I found my feet. I'm just afraid of really screwing the pooch my first run or two.

Warriors get a Defensive stance that lets them block, yes, but the best Tanks I've seen were Warriors who iframe speedtanked BEFORE block was added to the game for warriors. I've also managed to solo dungeons up to Cultists Refuge as a Warrior on Assault stance because :black101:

Gotta go fast!

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Right now every dungeon you go into will have at minimum one gunner, most likely two, maybe even three if you're lucky. Nothing will live long enough to need tanking, so just wander in and have fun.

Also speaking of soloing dungeons wow Golden Labyrinth is a big drat step up from Necromancer Tomb. Like being punched in the face.

KFJ
Nov 7, 2009
Hey folks! I was wondering, I'm downloading the game as we speak, and BAMs got me thinking. How similar to playing, say, Monster Hunter is killing a BAM? I'm good at MH, will that experience translate over at all?

Also, I may be able to get a boxed copy super cheap, although I'm in Iceland. Will the code from that work for US servers or EU only?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
All I've played is Lancer that can solo BAMs extremely slowly and Gunner which can annihilate BAMs in complete safety, but I'd imagine if you played a dodge-based melee class like Warrior or Slayer the experience of having to conserve your iframe moves and watch for tells would be similar. The closest comparison to make is probably like fighting a Gravios: All BAMs are of the 'big and slow' variety, with a couple of faster moves like a charge to catch you off-guard.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

KFJ posted:

Hey folks! I was wondering, I'm downloading the game as we speak, and BAMs got me thinking. How similar to playing, say, Monster Hunter is killing a BAM? I'm good at MH, will that experience translate over at all?

Also, I may be able to get a boxed copy super cheap, although I'm in Iceland. Will the code from that work for US servers or EU only?

It feels and controls more like Dark Souls to me, personally.

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Oh you.. :>

KFJ posted:

Depends if you're buying the EU or US box.

EnMasse is US, Frogster and Gameforge is EU.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Tsurupettan posted:

It feels and controls more like Dark Souls to me, personally.

I've never played MH but it's a lot of dark souls, yeah. You have to commit to your attacks because of the animation locking, just like in dark souls, although you do have a few cancels in this game.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I've never played MH but it's a lot of dark souls, yeah. You have to commit to your attacks because of the animation locking, just like in dark souls, although you do have a few cancels in this game.

I've never played a Warrior, don't they even have a sort of stamina mechanic? (edge or whatever)

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Anatharon posted:

I've never played a Warrior, don't they even have a sort of stamina mechanic? (edge or whatever)

Resolve. Each dodge is a certain amount used.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

KFJ posted:

Yes, MH experience will help.

Aurra
Feb 3, 2006

KFJ posted:

Monster Hunter is much more difficult than anything in Tera. In Tera you can rotate/change directions instantly and attacks are mostly all pointed towards the center of the camera rather than your character's facing. You'll pick it up quickly.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

So when you guys say soloing dungeons as gunner, do you mean the 5-mans or the solo versions? I did ok in the 5-man, but got to Soul Crusher and he obliterated me.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The 5man versions, although yeah it is harder, and you have to keep your distance from bosses whenever possible. Make a start on them after you get your first Avatar Weapon and it should be fairly smoothly.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

I've soloed every dungeon below 60 so far (still at 59, so I haven't done AC/MC yet).

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I'd only done most things as a priest and had no confidence trying Rift's Edge and Bathysmal Rise let alone anything harder. Often I didn't feel like playing just because it felt stressful running around trying to keep players alive.

I just did them as Gunner and oh man is it totally different. I feel like I'm playing a different game. Not dieing from every attack has been a big help to learn the mechanics better.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I guess I'll stain my soul with this vile piece of poo poo game now that it's on Steam :toot:

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
This is a Public Service Announcement! Never ever join a Corsairs Stronghold already in progress. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbMLphi7HQU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Do the exp boost items we get in the mail stack with the current double exp event or do we save them for after it ends?

Silhouette Wires
May 9, 2014

Never Knows Best
They do stack. It's wonderful:allears: .I signed up for elite status for just that reason. I think I can get 2 lvl 65 characters while the event is active with my current play time habit. Gunner is everything I've ever wanted. I'll porbably do a lancer right after

Also I sent an app to DGKK as Syldrin. I need people to talk to because occasionally reading global makes me sad.

Silhouette Wires fucked around with this message at 13:11 on May 17, 2015

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I am returning after what looks like my last log in of 2012. My pug popori god slayer Diabetic is no longer available which makes me sad, but my new Husband-fu High Elf is already getting my nethers tickled.

God rest young Diabetic

Long live Insoolyn!

KFJ
Nov 7, 2009
I sent an application to join DGKK under the name Schtooka. So far I'm really enjoying the game, can't wait to start doing BAMs!

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Silhouette Wires posted:

They do stack. It's wonderful:allears: .I signed up for elite status for just that reason. I think I can get 2 lvl 65 characters while the event is active with my current play time habit. Gunner is everything I've ever wanted. I'll porbably do a lancer right after

Also I sent an app to DGKK as Syldrin. I need people to talk to because occasionally reading global makes me sad.
I've not even bothered with Elite, the game just flat-out hands you two 10-hour exp doublers as you level. It's not as good as the SWTOR x12 boost but it's the next best thing!

Also does anyone have a picture of what the 'Thetan Will Suit' gunners get for hitting 65 looks like?

Pierson fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 17, 2015

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope

It's the one on the left apparently. Looks like the same armor you see when you select the class at character creation.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
I sent a request to join the guild as Korenax and then realized I didn't really dig the Berzerker playstyle so sent another for Korenath. Feel free to ignore the first!

(Playing in English really does make a difference, who knew?)

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Found the best place to level for a gunner ~16-~27

Valley of titans in Arcadia

Farm those two spawns of multiple guys, I got 7-8 levels in under an hour.

ShadowMoo fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 17, 2015

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

lol

yeah let's just ignore the thread and grind like some idiot.

solo 5man dungeons and get 5 levels in 15 minutes in BoL.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

FYI I just accepted a bunch of people to DGKK so if you applied recently you should be in now.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

KaneTW posted:

solo 5man dungeons and get 5 levels in 15 minutes

Not empty quoting.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

KaneTW posted:

solo 5man dungeons and get 5 levels in 15 minutes in BoL.

To be fair, some of us are really new and that 5-man dungeon was pretty tricky, what with the shamans lobbing 500 damage fireballs at us. I made decent progress, but burned through lots of healing potions. Mostly, I'm just new to the game, so I'm not sure what I need to do where to burn through dungeons that quick as a gunner.

Also, Soulcrusher crushed my soul :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

I've had a few friends who thought gunner was lackluster, and after a couple questions I found out they didn't know a few key things about gunners, namely that arcane barrage is a two part ability. It does no damage unless you hit the ability again and detonate it, and the detonation does an assload of damage. Also remember that your roll is on like a 4 second cooldown and gives you iframes, and rocket jump does the same thing if you have it. Also, HB will spam a heal on you unless you detonate arcane barrage, at which point he'll launch his own barrage where you detonated it, making arcane barrage even better. You should be spamming the poo poo out of your abilities and replenishment, and if you've glyphed replenishment to have reduced cooldown you shouldn't have mana problems until you run into an actual boss fight.

Generally I'll scatter, roll, scatter, arcane barrage, replenish, burn whatever replenish decided to give me. if it gave me nothing or after I'm done unloading it, I'll arc bomb (which stuns everything, including bosses) and mana missiles, or if it's up I'll drop a barrage on him and then unload the willpower you get back from barrage with rapid fire. Generally the boss will be on top of you if it's a melee one at that point, then I'll rocket jump through him, turn around, and generally everything will be back up again and I'll go back to spamming scatter/AB. You're tanky enough to take a few hits, especially with HB out, and you've got enough mobility to get out of the big stuff with roll/rocket jump. If you're trying to unload more scattershots and it's a golem boss about to collapse on top of you, it's more important to roll out and not take the damage than squeeze another scatter out, but you also really shouldn't have to spend much time just left clicking the boss unless it's an extremely long fight.

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 17, 2015

• Locked thread