Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

nomarsh posted:

hey folks. I have a cooking dilemma and you all are much better at cooking than me so I'm wondering if anyone can help me out.

I'm visiting with family and I've got a person who's not doing so hot and per doctor's orders is on extremely restricted diet called low FODMAP. Here's a list of can and can'ts PLUS in her case, she also cannot have gluten, dairy, nuts, or legumes. Acidic things like lemons and limes are ok in small amounts. Fibrous veggies are ok, but again not a whole lot at once. She can eat most meat, eggs and dark greens like baby spinach go well.

I really want to cook meals that she can join & give her some recipes to leave with. last night was I did spinach salad with chicken & balsamic dressing, but that is where my ideas end. If anyone can think creatively around these insanely tight restrictions it'd be appreciated!

I've just started low FODMAP, and there's a bunch of nice food you can get with. Try salmon with dark soy sauce, maple syrup and chopped nuts, and a salad of haricots v, cucumber or maybe a bit of carrot, slather with lime/syrup/chili and some sesame seeds on top?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

One thing I've learned from the girlfriend is that you can stick lentils in almost anything, it's a great filler/thickener/stretcher. She made a lasagne last week that was full of lentils, and it was delicious.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Tias posted:

chopped nuts

apparently, she can't have nuts either :-/

I guess looking at the list of permitted stuff in the link, keeping in mind the additional restrictions would be best

It says butternut squash is oke, as is coconut milk (that doesn't count as dairy or nuts, right?),
you could make a Thai flavoured pumpkin soup, perhaps?

And a tuna salad (skip the onions, adding a bit of soy sauce is nice)

loads of greens I guess...salads shouldn't be a problem

A green salad, with carrot ribbons, a nice duck breast and a vinaigrette with a bit of raspberry added to it (the latter two in moderation), would be great as well.

paraquat fucked around with this message at 13:43 on May 12, 2015

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

The Ferret King posted:

What did your parents do to beans to make them so horrible?

(ketchup?)

Nothing

By that I mean they added absolutely nothing to black beans. Just dumped em out of a can and heated them up

Which is weird because my dad is really into cooking and everything else he did was great and fine. He just put zero effort into beans and they were terrible.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
Am I high? did something happen to the sous vide thread? I just bought one.. and the thread... it's gone

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

never happy posted:

Am I high? did something happen to the sous vide thread? I just bought one.. and the thread... it's gone
It's still here according to my bookmarks.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
My ctrl+f must've been acting up

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
Does anyone have a good fish taco recipe. Especially the fish part. And one where you pan fry instead of deep frying.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I tried some fiddlehead ferns from the farmer's market today. My opinion is that they are expensive, over-rated, and require tons of prepwork for something that tasted like a mix between spinach and kale.

Reading online says they can be toxic or give food poisoning, and to prepare them correctly you have to clean them, boil for 10 minutes, then saute.

I don't think I'll be having those again.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

nwin posted:

I tried some fiddlehead ferns from the farmer's market today. My opinion is that they are expensive, over-rated, and require tons of prepwork for something that tasted like a mix between spinach and kale.

Reading online says they can be toxic or give food poisoning, and to prepare them correctly you have to clean them, boil for 10 minutes, then saute.

I don't think I'll be having those again.

They didn't used to be as expensive as they are now. Even five years ago they were dirt cheap in my area, but the price was driven up.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Is there a faster way to do duck legs than roasting/braising them for an hour? I usually do much larger chicken legs skin side down in a skillet for about 15, the. 12 in the oven, flip and go for 2 more, would that make the duck get tough and gross? I'm willing to share my cab with the duck if needed.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

JawKnee posted:

I made a Mahi Mahi, Sole, and Tilapia ceviche tonight, using only lime juice for citrus. Came out waaaaay too bitter, especially on the tail end of a mouthful (great texture though). Would using a mix of lime/lemon/orange juice help this?

Made another attempt at ceviche tonight - Sole done in orange/lemon/lime with cilantro, red onion, de-seeded jalapeno, and sprouts added later, and a little cayenne to taste. Much better on the bitterness but still needs something. Thinking about switching out the red onion, and sprouts for red cabbage and some kind of sweet apple, and maybe some mint instead of cilantro - thoughts? I'm completely new to making this.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
Anyone have any go-to resources for the seasons of crops and vegetables in particular? Similarly, any suggestions for books that focus on vegetables like Trotter's book on them, but maybe more contemporary?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

JawKnee posted:

Made another attempt at ceviche tonight - Sole done in orange/lemon/lime with cilantro, red onion, de-seeded jalapeno, and sprouts added later, and a little cayenne to taste. Much better on the bitterness but still needs something. Thinking about switching out the red onion, and sprouts for red cabbage and some kind of sweet apple, and maybe some mint instead of cilantro - thoughts? I'm completely new to making this.

Nooooo not mint. Try fresh parsley instead of cilantro. And dont be afraid to sprinkle a pinch of white sugar on it.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
I've been trying out Alton Brown's steel cut oatmeal recipe, and my buttermilk curdles pretty regularly. I took his advice from Good Eats to combine the milk and the buttermilk before adding to the pan, but this only works some of the time. Since I have a gas stove, I already simmer on the lowest I can possibly set the flame without it going out. Any ideas on how I could take out some more curdling insurance?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

A Bag of Milk posted:

I've been trying out Alton Brown's steel cut oatmeal recipe, and my buttermilk curdles pretty regularly. I took his advice from Good Eats to combine the milk and the buttermilk before adding to the pan, but this only works some of the time. Since I have a gas stove, I already simmer on the lowest I can possibly set the flame without it going out. Any ideas on how I could take out some more curdling insurance?

Do you have old milk? Is it just curdling or is it foaming up and boiling for a bit? If it's foaming, remove it from the heat for a while. Maybe warm the milk before putting it in? I've never had milk curdle cooking oatmeal.

Are you stirring it? Try doing that. Usually when I've added milk to oatmeal I've taken it off the heat before doing so.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Invisible Ted posted:

Anyone have any go-to resources for the seasons of crops and vegetables in particular? Similarly, any suggestions for books that focus on vegetables like Trotter's book on them, but maybe more contemporary?

This is a pretty good "kitchen garden" cookbook that is very seasonal and sorted by vegetable:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Art-Simple-Food-Inspiration/dp/0307718271/ref=pd_sim_14_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0HDVKFF9M456EJRDRGTC

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Invisible Ted posted:

We have a garden thread as well

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.
I want to dice up steaks for my chili for roughly 3/4 inch cubes - what's the time frame per side that I want to sear them in a cast iron on high for?

The aim is to have rare beef that will cook through to a nice medium as the chili cooks.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Thunder Moose posted:

I want to dice up steaks for my chili for roughly 3/4 inch cubes - what's the time frame per side that I want to sear them in a cast iron on high for?

The aim is to have rare beef that will cook through to a nice medium as the chili cooks.

In this case, you will want to cook your steaks separately from your chili and add them to a sauce that already has the consistency a couple minutes before serving.

(Don't do this, just use a braising cut of beef)

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

I ended up searing it skin aide down and chucked in at 350 for about 45 min with some red wine, currant jelly, cinnamon, garlic, and a bit of red pepper. Came out awesome. Still took longer than. I wanted it to for a work night dinner (I usually get home around 10:30 pm) but it was very 'go sit and have a beer and wait' as far as involvement so it worked out.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Thunder Moose posted:

This is a bad plan. Go buy some braising meat like a chuck roast and cut it into cubes, sear it and then leave it in the chili for hours.

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:
I have some beef stock I made a bit ago and want to use it to make something, but i don't really want to make soup. What are some other things I could try that are a bit more substantive, maybe something like shepards pie? I'm not a whiz in the kitchen but I can follow a recipe. If this is too open ended yell at me or ignore it. Thanks!

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Drifter posted:

Do you have old milk? Is it just curdling or is it foaming up and boiling for a bit? If it's foaming, remove it from the heat for a while. Maybe warm the milk before putting it in? I've never had milk curdle cooking oatmeal.

Are you stirring it? Try doing that. Usually when I've added milk to oatmeal I've taken it off the heat before doing so.

Only the buttermilk is the problem. I should have mentioned that when I use just milk there are never any problems. I've used fresh buttermilk too, and it curdles without foaming or boiling. I stir as well. However, I did not think of warming it up beforehand. That may in fact be the oatmeal saving idea. Thanks a bunch

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Just made farmer's cheese for the first time in years. Heated milk to 160F, added vinegar by the tablespoon while stirring til it all clumped up. Strain through cloth. Nom. Whey is tasty too, though tart from the vinegar.

I think I'm going to try something more complicated soon, and while I've found plenty of useful resources on DIY cheese on university extension websites and stuff, I'd be interested in any input or personal experience.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Just made farmer's cheese for the first time in years. Heated milk to 160F, added vinegar by the tablespoon while stirring til it all clumped up. Strain through cloth. Nom. Whey is tasty too, though tart from the vinegar.

I think I'm going to try something more complicated soon, and while I've found plenty of useful resources on DIY cheese on university extension websites and stuff, I'd be interested in any input or personal experience.

I've done homemade mozz. Once you buy the milk, rennet and citric acid, with a lot of effort you can make your own mozzarella that's almost as good and only slightly more expensive than store bought.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I've done homemade mozz. Once you buy the milk, rennet and citric acid, with a lot of effort you can make your own mozzarella that's almost as good and only slightly more expensive than store bought.

So is the wisdom you're trying to convey "not worth it outside of the fun and novelty"? Because I've been thinking about dipping my toe into the world of cheesery but if that concensus is that the additional time and money yields an inferior product than I won't bother.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

rj54x posted:

So is the wisdom you're trying to convey "not worth it outside of the fun and novelty"? Because I've been thinking about dipping my toe into the world of cheesery but if that concensus is that the additional time and money yields an inferior product than I won't bother.

I'm sure if I did it more I would get better at it. It's a fun thing to do with my kids, but ultimately I don't think it's worth the time and effort for me. You should definitely do it once just for the experience though.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

turbomoose posted:

I have some beef stock I made a bit ago and want to use it to make something, but i don't really want to make soup. What are some other things I could try that are a bit more substantive, maybe something like shepards pie? I'm not a whiz in the kitchen but I can follow a recipe. If this is too open ended yell at me or ignore it. Thanks!
Braise something, maybe osso bucco or make a gravy for poutine.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

rj54x posted:

I've tried a few here and there and if I could get my hands on a cheaper better quality milk supply it would totally be worth the time and money.

I think the cost / reward aspect is fairly mild though and goes a lot better for stuff like making your own bacon, growing a lot of your own veggies and/or brewing your own beer etc.

Edit: To me it was like making your own croissants / puff pastry. Fun to learn and when it works really drat good but a lot of effort (or cost for cheese) that ends up with a product not tremendously better than a decent commercial one. YMMV though. I certainly would never suggest that one does not at least try it though. If anything you get a better appreciation for good product vs overpriced ones.

That Works fucked around with this message at 14:55 on May 15, 2015

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

turbomoose posted:

this isn't really a recipe but sometimes I take gelled stock straight from the fridge and spread it on toast

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

A Bag of Milk posted:

Only the buttermilk is the problem. I should have mentioned that when I use just milk there are never any problems. I've used fresh buttermilk too, and it curdles without foaming or boiling. I stir as well. However, I did not think of warming it up beforehand. That may in fact be the oatmeal saving idea. Thanks a bunch

Buttermilk is acidic. Heat and acid together causes dairy proteins to start binding together, so that's why you have problems with the buttermilk and not the regular milk. I would either use just milk or if you really like the buttermilk flavor add it toward the end and let it sit off heat for a little. Keep it under 160-165 F to keep from curdling once you add buttermilk.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
When I make beef stew (slow cooked over 6+ hours), I always use nice braising meat, but it always comes out dry at the end. Is this just too much heat in the simmer?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

baquerd posted:

When I make beef stew (slow cooked over 6+ hours), I always use nice braising meat, but it always comes out dry at the end. Is this just too much heat in the simmer?

What cut are you talking about, exactly, when you say a "nice braising meat"?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Midniter posted:

What cut are you talking about, exactly, when you say a "nice braising meat"?

Chuck roast, cheap as possible. I usually sear it off (brown outside, 100% rare inside) before putting it in, tried both chunks and whole roast but it always dries out.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Sounds like too much heat -- just bring to a boil and reduce to bare bubbles. Are you doing something other than that?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

baquerd posted:

Chuck roast, cheap as possible. I usually sear it off (brown outside, 100% rare inside) before putting it in, tried both chunks and whole roast but it always dries out.

Yeah, chuck shouldn't be drying out like that. What TB said, drop the heat a bit.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Turkeybone posted:

Sounds like too much heat -- just bring to a boil and reduce to bare bubbles. Are you doing something other than that?

I usually do it in a crock-pot. At a guess, fast-cooking on High just isn't going to work for me.

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

Our supermarket now carries Poblano, anyone have a favourite recipe to use them in? We don't have access to most other chilies, queso, mexican chorizo or anything too specialised though (Australia).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Mole and Chili