Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

THF13 posted:

Orphan Black is airing now and it's still pretty great. The main actress was incredible, the first season is must watch for her alone.

Seconding this. I was concerned going into Season 3 because of the earth shattering new dynamic, but all is right with the world and Tatiana Maslany is still the best candidate for "Holy poo poo give her an Emmy!"

Keep Tony away though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

A good description of the 100.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Kesper North posted:

I thought The 100 was supposed to be awful?

The 100 gets my current vote for best episode trailer, even outdoing Flash's "FULL... SPEED... BEHIND!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYB-dlXLy5I

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Phylodox posted:

Do you not remember being 14?

Or are 14 year olds nowadays somehow less desensitized than when I was a kid? Hell, I remember seeing Robocop when I was eleven.

I saw Robocop when I was 11 too, and I remember being very disturbed by the opening scene where the street gang executes Murphy.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I hope the writing on future Agents of SHIELD finales is more even. The incredibly stupid parts made it hard to enjoy the good parts.

Good episode of Agents of Ward though. Hail Hydra.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

enraged_camel posted:

I saw Robocop when I was 11 too, and I remember being very disturbed by the opening scene where the street gang executes Murphy.

Yeah, and by the time I was 14 I was seeing Alien3 in the theatre no problem. I can't believe kids today, with access to the Internet, are less desensitized than we were. Hell, there are probably 8 year olds out there who've seen the Budd Dwyer video.

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

enraged_camel posted:

I saw Robocop 2 in theaters at age 6. And I was already a fan of the first film by then. My parents gave zero fucks.

This Agents of SHIELD is a good show and I'm glad I stuck with it. I watched most of the first half of season one as it aired, got a bit bored and fell off for a few months, but started watching around when Winter Soldier came out and have been hooked ever since. Agent Carter was pretty great too.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Why haven't you watched Daredevil yet?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

counterfeitsaint posted:

It The 100 actually good? My 14yo niece kept going on about how awesome it was and how I should watch it, but her other favorite things are Teen Wolf and Twilight, so I assumed that it was terrible.

Teen Wolf is also good.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Canned Panda posted:

I watch Masterchef Australia lol

lol

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Kesper North posted:

So... with AoS, Flash and Arrow all ending, where do you guys suggest getting your summer genre TV fix?

Well Teen Wolf starts back before too long

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

The Sharmat posted:

Why haven't you watched Daredevil yet?

Daredevil, The Man Who's Bad at His Job

Seriously I loving love Daredevil but it's hilarious how Murdoch's only plan is usually "Jump off a high thing and beat up some guys, something'll happen eventually."

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
It was a good part of the show how that happened and didn't work all that well for a lot of situations.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

It's almost like his random acts of retributive violence impart important information about the character and setting, and help drive the plot, rather than simply be "effective" or "well guided".

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

The MSJ posted:

Teen Wolf is also good.

I remain skeptical, based on the name along. I mean, Teen Wolf? Seriously?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

counterfeitsaint posted:

I remain skeptical, based on the name along. I mean, Teen Wolf? Seriously?

To be fair, the name is a relic of the 80s.

Though it does have a teenage werewolf. It's not inappropriate.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Teen Wolf is a really uneven show with some bright spots. The closest I'd compare it too is Vampire Diaries so if you enjoy that kind of CW teen soap supernatural stuff I'd say check it out. If you like gratuitous shirtless males, I'd say check it out. It actually has a pretty neat (if convoluted) mythology and the showrunner tries too hard with the whodunit mystery that usually runs throughout each season, but it's a really fun show.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

hope and vaseline posted:

Teen Wolf is a really uneven show with some bright spots. The closest I'd compare it too is Vampire Diaries so if you enjoy that kind of CW teen soap supernatural stuff I'd say check it out. If you like gratuitous shirtless males, I'd say check it out. It actually has a pretty neat (if convoluted) mythology and the showrunner tries too hard with the whodunit mystery that usually runs throughout each season, but it's a really fun show.

Mm. Although at its best, Teen Wolf knocks Vampire Diaries out of the park and somehow achieves something well beyond just a teen soap. The writing hits much better than an MTV teen supernatural drama rightly should be.

At its worst it gets really bogged down on itself, though. Clusterfucky.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:42 on May 15, 2015

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's also a huge sausage fest, of muscular half naked dudes. Not in a good way, like Spartacus.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Rocksicles posted:

It's also a huge sausage fest, of muscular half naked dudes. Not in a good way, like Spartacus.

By the end of any given episode of Spartacus most of the actors ended up looking more like ground beef, anyways.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Rocksicles posted:

It's also a huge sausage fest, of muscular half naked dudes. Not in a good way

Having trouble parsing this

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Voted Worst Mom posted:

Yeah, his statement didn't make a lot of sense.

Rocksicles posted:

It's also a huge sausage fest, of muscular half naked dudes. Not in a good way In the best way.

I fixed it

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Clearly Rocksicles prefers his men with the bodybuilder frame instead of Teen Wolf's generally more slim and athletic (albeit still ripped) specimens.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Voted Worst Mom posted:

In Spartacus they had no real clothes.... In teen wolf they either don't fit, or they leave them all over a forest somewhere. Because muscles.

I admire a jacked dude as much as the next straight guy. Teen Wolf is pretty :gay:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Deadpool posted:

Good writing, likable characters, fun actors. It's very obvious when you watch it and Flash or Arrow back to back that the writing is just on a completely different level of competence.

drat, you weren't kidding about iZombie. I just watched the pilot and it was really, really good.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

enraged_camel posted:

drat, you weren't kidding about iZombie. I just watched the pilot and it was really, really good.

A warning, while the show is very loving good, the pilot is far far better shot than the actual show is. Still drat great.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Teen Wolf can be a lot of fun and it has a lot of heart -- it feels more like a spiritual successor to Whedon's oeuvre than anything else that's tried -- but can also be incredibly bullshitty and unsatisfying in ways that make six seasons of Glee look like masterpiece theater. Be aware what you're getting yourself into.

It also has an absurd actor turnover rate, averaging one or two really important characters "moving on to better things" per arc. Try not to get attached to anyone!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

To be fair, 'crazy unsatisfying' and 'absurd actor turnover rate' are linked half the time. They keep trying to build up character arcs and mysteries only to have them quit halfway.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

I love iZombie, though to anyone who hates zombie stuff - I personally find that the show is far more of a vampire show in terms of the actual story beats. There's plenty of zombie references and jokes and such, but it's in no way related to 'zombie horde' stories. To me, it's a vampire show where the vampires are called zombies and blood is swapped with brains. I'm pretty sure even the elements of a zombie getting flashes of memory from the person whose brain they've just eaten and going rabid when they don't feed has been done in some vampire media. That said, it may well end up being more zombie-specific later for all I know.

I do realise that the argument of "If you think zombies are overdone, be aware that the zombies are more like totally-not-overdone vampires" is not the most convincing :v:

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Phylodox posted:

Yeah, and by the time I was 14 I was seeing Alien3 in the theatre no problem. I can't believe kids today, with access to the Internet, are less desensitized than we were. Hell, there are probably 8 year olds out there who've seen the Budd Dwyer video.

Same here. I basically had zero supervision over what I watched when I was a kid. Probably the first "shocks" I got were seeing Full Metal Jacket when I was about 8, I think, and Scarface before that. But it was awkward for my friends' parents because I always had weird poo poo to talk about.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Teen Wolf is a show with surprisingly good writing that keeps being undermined by real life. Like the above poster said, they're constantly setting up arcs and multi-season mysteries and character development, but their actors keep being cast in other, better-paying shows, so sometimes they just have to go :shrug:.

But do not, for one second, compare it to Glee. On Teen Wolf, the actors undermined the writing. On Glee, it was the other way around. Glee constantly betrayed and reset its characters to the point where they basically stopped feeling like people and started feeling like Ryan Murphy finger puppets. Teen Wolf's consistent characterization is one of the main reasons I like it.

Basically, it's a really funny show that is also surprisingly scary, well-crafted and well-acted, made by people with an obvious respect for horror as a genre, with likable and varied good guys and cool, scary, unique bad guys. It's also got some of the best parent characters in any teen genre show I've seen. If you can handle their $2 special effects budget, give them a shot.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Naw sorry you can't just blame TW's nonsense writing on actors leaving. There's plenty of sloppy unsatisfying plots even for characters that stick it out year after year.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
:shrug: I'm relatively satisfied. Well, Season 4 wasn't that great, but it wasn't anywhere near Glee levels of terribleness. And having unfulfilled potential is not the same as straight-up having your characterization reversed, reset, and betrayed every goddamn season.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I didn't realize iZombie was based off a comic property, and by Mike Allred no less. I should check it out.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

I didn't realize iZombie was based off a comic property, and by Mike Allred no less. I should check it out.

You'll be disappointed. The art is fantastic (of course), but the writing is not that great.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

I ended up binging the first seven episodes last night. There are some issues, but overall it's a great show.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Finally watched the AoS finale and decided to catch up on the thread. Holy hell that was a lot of posts.

Pretty great season, Cal won the season overall, Fitz the finale itself. The action had a decided up-turn in quality, though Daredevil kinda lessened the impact of that.

In Daredevil, the action is visceral, you feel like Murdoch is under real threat of imminent death. In Skye and most of May's fight scenes, it's much more like a dance, everything choreographed and smooth. This was most apparent when they invaded the hydra base, less so with the fight with the redhead.

OTOH, Bobbi's fight with Ward was pretty badass.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

"kayakyakr" posted:

the fight with the redhead.

I think you mean Ginger Ninja. If that isn't already a comic book character she should be. Jamie can be a girl's name too.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Emerson Cod posted:

I think you mean Ginger Ninja. If that isn't already a comic book character she should be. Jamie can be a girl's name too.

I liked her too, though with all the nodding it was like Olly merged with Ygritte instead of killing her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I bet multiple girl is really good at sex having.

• Locked thread