Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I had a game yesterday and I'm gonna have a game Thursday, but then I won't have another one for 2 weeks :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Vicas posted:

I had a game yesterday and I'm gonna have a game Thursday, but then I won't have another one for 2 weeks :(
Where do you play at?

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

shyduck posted:

Where do you play at?

Ice House in Hackensack. I live just outside NYC now

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I had a game last night, got a nice breakway goal, faked FH, BH, pulled it back FH, kept dragging the goalie sideways then put it off the pipe and in over his blocker shoulder just under the pipe.

We lost 7-2 :smith:

Tomorrow I leave for Africa for 12 days and will only miss 1 game. Both of my leagues go into a weird series of bye weeks so I don't play again until June 7th or something.

Verman fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 11, 2015

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Vicas posted:

Ice House in Hackensack. I live just outside NYC now
Nice, that's four ice surfaces isn't it? Very nice rink if I remember right. I forget the name of the travel team that plays out of there but I've been up there a few times for away games. Scored a goal there from flat on my stomach when playing midget level, that was cool.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

shyduck posted:

Nice, that's four ice surfaces isn't it? Very nice rink if I remember right. I forget the name of the travel team that plays out of there but I've been up there a few times for away games. Scored a goal there from flat on my stomach when playing midget level, that was cool.

Yeah, it's a shockingly large rink in the middle of nowhere (okay, suburbia, same poo poo). The house league is fuckin' massive, too. ~8 divisions, 4-16 teams per. The ice is pretty nice, except their fourth rink, which can get kinda choppy when they do a sloppy job with the zamboni

e: are you still at iceland or am i thinking of someone else?

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Ice House's travel team is the Avalanche.

The ice is pretty good, but they covered the roof with solar panels and now they can't actually get workers up there to do maintenance/repair damage so they mitigate leaks with tarps and PVC piping to make it drain into the corners.

Rink 4 is a figure skating rink and I'm sure the boner drivers get lazy about cutting it for when they do actually put hockey on it. Had to teach a JV player to repair a divot there once.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Goddamn figure skaters man. I was eating lunch at the nearby rink and a group of them were working on a routine, fuckers are so loving precise on their edges it makes me jealous.

I wish I could go back 30 years and smack younger me into actually learning to skate. Hockey would be so much easier now.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

EvilTwig posted:

I'm playing in the 6:40 one on Sundays, Quincy Youth Arena, and may pop in to the C/D one once in a while. QYA is kind of a shithole compared to some of the other rinks around, but it is qunicy after all https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dopXFXHLhSY&t=52s

Thanks for the input. I was gonna go for the 7:50 Tuesday C level but I didn't move fast enough I guess because it is sold out. I have no idea where I stand since I've never played in a tiered skill system so I'm just going with C and figuring out if I'm good enough for it. The youth arena is the one on Murphy Memorial Drive right? I just looked it up on google, the stinky socks site kept giving me the Internal Server Error whenever I clicked the link to the rink looking for info on it. I guess I'll have to wait till next week to check it out.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

PFlats posted:

Ice House's travel team is the Avalanche.

The ice is pretty good, but they covered the roof with solar panels and now they can't actually get workers up there to do maintenance/repair damage so they mitigate leaks with tarps and PVC piping to make it drain into the corners.

Rink 4 is a figure skating rink and I'm sure the boner drivers get lazy about cutting it for when they do actually put hockey on it. Had to teach a JV player to repair a divot there once.

ha, this explains a lot. Yeah, the locker rooms are tiny and in pretty bad shape

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I no longer play at Iceland, I've been at Skatezone in NE Philly. The leagues are better and it's easier for everyone to get there.

As far as rinks falling apart, I can't imagine how much it costs to own and operate one. Every single one I go to seems to be in various states of disrepair (except for Voorhees because that's where the Flyers practice)

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001

bigbillystyle posted:

Thanks for the input. I was gonna go for the 7:50 Tuesday C level but I didn't move fast enough I guess because it is sold out. I have no idea where I stand since I've never played in a tiered skill system so I'm just going with C and figuring out if I'm good enough for it. The youth arena is the one on Murphy Memorial Drive right? I just looked it up on google, the stinky socks site kept giving me the Internal Server Error whenever I clicked the link to the rink looking for info on it. I guess I'll have to wait till next week to check it out.

You would probably be fine in C level, or a C/D game. I find that even though they claim to keep players from playing down, they can't get it right all the time - for instance, this past week we had a guy there who's cousin was playing who really was much better then the D skaters out there. They didn't count his (4) goals. It doesn't bother me because stinky socks is more like a glorified pickup that guarantee goalies show up. I usually have a good skate, and the one time I had an issue (no goalies) , a refund had been issued before I even got home.

The Murphy memorial drive looks like the right one, although I always thought it was sea street - it refers to the same road. This place is on the corner of the drive into the lot, you will see the sign http://www.grumpywhites.com

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

EvilTwig posted:

You would probably be fine in C level, or a C/D game. I find that even though they claim to keep players from playing down, they can't get it right all the time - for instance, this past week we had a guy there who's cousin was playing who really was much better then the D skaters out there. They didn't count his (4) goals. It doesn't bother me because stinky socks is more like a glorified pickup that guarantee goalies show up. I usually have a good skate, and the one time I had an issue (no goalies) , a refund had been issued before I even got home.

The Murphy memorial drive looks like the right one, although I always thought it was sea street - it refers to the same road. This place is on the corner of the drive into the lot, you will see the sign http://www.grumpywhites.com

Sweet. Thanks.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

xzzy posted:

Goddamn figure skaters man. I was eating lunch at the nearby rink and a group of them were working on a routine, fuckers are so loving precise on their edges it makes me jealous.

I wish I could go back 30 years and smack younger me into actually learning to skate. Hockey would be so much easier now.

I can pick out the figure skaters in my beginner league a mile away. Great skating, no hands, and they all do that little bob while they skate.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.

Vicas posted:

They just updated my league's schedule, we have games the next two weeks when I'm working, then a bye week the week that I come back. :stare:

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

A thing for our newbies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E--ZZMP8Y7U

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Just got our mix'n'match Division 8 rosters announced today! :toot:
Got the email list of our team all put together and are chatting :toot:
Some dude from our LTP class is already e-lobbying to be team captain with a super wordy email before we've even been in the same room together :lol::toot:

I think I'm just gonna reply all with Brass Bonanza. :v:

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Vicas posted:

ha, this explains a lot. Yeah, the locker rooms are tiny and in pretty bad shape

Look up the next time you're there and you'll see the wonderful plumbing. I think in Rink 4 it actually drains behind the scoreboard?

Duke Chin posted:

I think I'm just gonna reply all with Brass Bonanza. :v:
👍🏾

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

reply with a beer schedule and offer to take the first shift if you want to be the coolest guy in the room

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

:confused:

sellouts posted:

reply with a beer schedule and offer to take the first shift if you want to be the coolest guy in the room

I don't care about being the coolest guy but that's not a bad idea. It's always good to listen to the beer/rec league veterans. :cheers:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

I broke the glass with a shot tonight, that was pretty cool. I kept some glass.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
That's pretty drat cool bewbies.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Hella small pic, though, hard to see the neat details.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Ohhh gently caress yes, won my first league game. Drew the penalty and started the breakout that put us up 1-0, and only screwed up horrifically once or twice. Once we got a solid lead I just tried to control the neutral zone and keep the puck moving up ice and we held on to take it 3-1. Feels good to win!

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Scrimmaged a team tonight that beat us 5 times during the season, a combined 28-11.

We beat them 8-2 maybe? I had 2 goals on the same shift. :smuggo:

We lined up to shake hands after the game. One of their guys goes through our line, everybody else on their team just gets off the ice.

Good times.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I had something like that happen to me the other night. Shaking hands and the one kid I shutdown the entire night went for the old shake the hand but nope just kidding going through my hair fake out. I had a good laugh about it.

Ugh, no ice time till next Monday because of figure skating show. First world problems. :negative:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
If I'm a short (5'6") guy playing defense do I want a longer stick? My D partner suggested that, and I used to use an eye-height one in ball hockey but I've switched to chin height since then and I like the stickhandling opportunities it affords me, especially at drop in where I play both ends of the ice. That being said I have pretty poor reach so should I keep a long stick on hand for league games when I'm playing 100% D? He actually offered to take my backup stick and put a plug in it so I can try it out next week, but I'm just wondering what the school of thought is.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Personally, I think you want an "average" length for drop-in/beer league play. Going with a longer stick will give you greater reach, but (all things being equal) decreases your stickhandling ability. That said, I've seen others play with sticks that looked like vaulting poles before, and it worked for them. Why not give it a try for a game and see how it feels :shrug:

I probably wouldn't skate with two different lengths forever though. That just seems like a recipe for not being able to catch pucks.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you do choose a longer stick, you'll probably want a shallower lie. You can probably adjust without changing the lie, but that just seems like a way to develop bad habits to me. You don't want to have to work to keep the stick flat on the ice.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

prom candy posted:

If I'm a short (5'6") guy playing defense do I want a longer stick? My D partner suggested that, and I used to use an eye-height one in ball hockey but I've switched to chin height since then and I like the stickhandling opportunities it affords me, especially at drop in where I play both ends of the ice. That being said I have pretty poor reach so should I keep a long stick on hand for league games when I'm playing 100% D? He actually offered to take my backup stick and put a plug in it so I can try it out next week, but I'm just wondering what the school of thought is.

I try to deal with the lack of reach by taking the extra step. I don't always succeed.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
My D stick goes up to my hairline. Because I'm a bit lazy.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Played D my whole life with a stick that went to my chin on skates (nose off skates).

Only time I use something different now is in roller hockey because I play forward, and I go with the height to my chin without skates, WHICH luckily is the standard height for a senior stick .

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Bootcha posted:

My D stick goes up to my hairline. Because I'm a bit lazy.

That's a really tall stick. :haw:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Bradf0rd posted:

That's a really tall stick. :haw:
Also known as the Getlaf grip

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I made an end to end rush last night, swinging around our net, beating the first guy as he tried to cut me off on the other side, the second guy at the blueline, the third and fourth guys as I cut to the center at the redline, and the fifth guy at their blueline as he was trying to turn around. Went in on the goalie 1-on-0... and he managed to save it with his shoulder :v:

It was 3-3 at the time too, so they had reason to actually play D. When I get a full head of steam the best you can really hope to do is get the puck away from me, but I don't usually beat an entire team so cleanly. I just wish I had shot a little higher

I also hit the post on an empty net from about their blueline. There were two of them on me but really, I'm just cursed :v:

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
There were like 6 Tier III junior kids at drop in last night. Average shift length: 7 minutes probably.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
There is a guy that does that at our private drop-in. We ran through an entire rotation and he was out on the ice the entire time. Of course when you camp the blue-line you don't get tired. He always wears a dark jersey and one reason I stopped bringing a dark to that drop-in. No desire to play with that dude. Also, the same guy that tried to start a fight with me over a bump. It's hockey dude bumps happen.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

School's coming to an end for the kids so it happens a lot more now. They come home, head to a drop-in, and live out their NHL fantasy on the fat slow slobs that normally populate the skate.

Eventually they get bored when they realize there's no competition and filter into higher level play for the summer.. or get picked up as ringers for teams looking for a bump.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Two days til my summer league starts...

two...

days....

hnnnnnnnnnngh hurry up :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
I know it's come up in the thread before, but for all D, and short dudes especially: get used to gluing your stick hand to your hip when taking a 1-on-1, then throwing a sharp poke check mid-stride. It makes your reach deceptively longer than it appears, and you can (with a little practice) throw poke checks without taking yourself out of the play if you miss.

:thumbsup: (thumbs up emoji)