Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Kibner posted:

At this point, pretty much any new system would have the vast majority of it's mechanics appear on a list like this. Although, those usually have a new idea that everything else is centered around.

Hey my Duckman game that uses a vague approximation of craps as the resolution mechanic isn't derived from any other game... except craps, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

mastershakeman posted:

Did people hate those weapon/nonweapon proficiencies? It's weird they disappeared to where the word got reused.

They didn't really disappear. They just got reworked a bit for 3E. Weapon (and armor) proficiencies became class features and feats. NWPs became skills.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mastershakeman posted:

Did people hate those weapon/nonweapon proficiencies? It's weird they disappeared to where the word got reused.
My understanding of non-weapon proficiencies was that it was simply a way to allow characters to get better at OSR-type skill checks apart from letting characters increase their entire attribute score.

That is, forging a document might be roll 3d6 or 1d20 and get equal to or lower than your DEX to succeed, but if your character started with 15 DEX then you'd always have a 75% chance to succeed for the entire life of your character barring any circumstantial modifiers (or items that increased DEX).

NWPs would let you get better at forging a document while still keeping your DEX as is, and optionally would allow the table to differentiate between the 15 DEX Thief and the 15 DEX Ranger: the Thief that took the Forging NWP could actually attempt to forge documents as part of their criminal background, while the Ranger that didn't, couldn't.

I don't know how much these systems were used or how well they were received, but it's clear to me that they were/would've been obsoleted by moving to the [d20+modifier vs DC] and skill category system of 3rd Ed and beyond.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 15, 2015

TheAwfulWaffle
Jun 30, 2013

P.d0t posted:

Eh, they did basically the same thing with Saving Throws in 4e; recycling terms for something different is not new.

How are hit dice different in 5e than what you're used to, though? :psyduck:

Even after literally years, there are one or two folks in my 4E game who still think "Saving Throw" means "Fort/Reflex/Will." I've gotten to where I just tell them to roll a d20 instead of asking for a save.

Doesn't Next use "hit dice" as a kind of healing mechanic? I thought I saw a reference to rolling hit dice to regain hit points somewhere.

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012

P.d0t posted:

How are hit dice different in 5e than what you're used to, though? :psyduck:
Hit dice are mostly referred to in their capacity as being 5e's not-healing surges.
AD&D hit dice were a catchall phrase most frequently used to include both PC level (but not including levels over 9, or 10 if you were a rogue/wizard :eng101:) and monster strength.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

TheAwfulWaffle posted:

Doesn't Next use "hit dice" as a kind of healing mechanic? I thought I saw a reference to rolling hit dice to regain hit points somewhere.
Yes, whereas Hit Dice was purely a means of determining how many hit points a monster had, and was a roughly approximation of its "level" in OSR D&D, in 5th Edition it's also a source of reserve HP for player character.

That concept though is taken from 3.5 Edition's Unearthed Arcana as "Reserve Points", or in Mike Mearls' own Iron Heroes:

quote:

You have reserve points equal to your maximum hit points. Whenever you engage in nonstrenuous activity, you may choose to convert 1 reserve point to heal 1 hit point per minute. Remember that whenever you receive healing, you heal an amount of nonlethal damage equal to the hit point damage at the same time. During these minutes, you catch your breath, the pain from a twisted ankle fades, or a cut stops bleeding and slowly starts to heal. You do not gain reserve-point healing while engaged in combat or undertaking other strenuous actions such as climbing a wall or running a long distance.

Any healing you receive above and beyond your maximum hit points replenishes your reserve point pool. You also regain reserve points via rest and relaxation. If you rest eight hours straight during a day, you regain reserve points equal to your Constitution score + your level. If you spend a full day doing nothing but resting, you regain reserve points equal to double your Constitution score + your level.
The key difference though is that 5th Edition made it worse by making you roll for the healing amount.

EDIT: I don't think it's meant to be analogous to 4e's Healing Surges, insofar as Reserve Points weren't predecessors of Healing Surges either. And if they were, then it also missed the point because healing in 5e is not at all capped by Hit Dice Healing, nor is there a way to tap into Hit Dice Healing mid-battle apart from a variant rule in the DMG somewhere.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 15, 2015

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Kibner posted:

At this point, pretty much any new system would have the vast majority of it's mechanics appear on a list like this. Although, those usually have a new idea that everything else is centered around.

Yeah, the core architecture is where innovation happens. You can use 100% recycled mechanics with a fresh core approach and produce something totally innovative. This happens all the time in wargames: SAGA is probably one is the most innovative wargames recently, and it essentially blends Yhatzee into a historical skirmish game. Both Chain of Command and Sword & Spear also use dice pool activations, but all three "feel" different enough in their application.

During Next development it became clear that Mearls did not understand how core / modular design works. There's no core design principles guiding development. It's all surface-level riffing and remixing of prior editions and other games. It's ingredients without a recipe.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

CON should just be renamed "luck." You survive the disease or poison, or have more HP, because of luck.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

gradenko_2000 posted:

My understanding of non-weapon proficiencies was that it was simply a way to allow characters to get better at OSR-type skill checks apart from letting characters increase their entire attribute score.

That is, forging a document might be roll 3d6 or 1d20 and get equal to or higher than your DEX to succeed, but if your character started with 15 DEX then you'd always have a 75% chance to succeed for the entire life of your character barring any circumstantial modifiers (or items that increased DEX).

NWPs would let you get better at forging a document while still keeping your DEX as is, and optionally would allow the table to differentiate between the 15 DEX Thief and the 15 DEX Ranger: the Thief that took the Forging NWP could actually attempt to forge documents as part of their criminal background, while the Ranger that didn't, couldn't.

I don't know how much these systems were used or how well they were received, but it's clear to me that they were/would've been obsoleted by moving to the [d20+modifier vs DC] and skill category system of 3rd Ed and beyond.

Yeah, I'm just idly wondering why the move to the skill system happened. I really prefer a million tiny fiddly nonweapon proficiencies to all encompassing skills, as I really feel it lets you flesh out characters a lot differently.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mastershakeman posted:

Yeah, I'm just idly wondering why the move to the skill system happened. I really prefer a million tiny fiddly nonweapon proficiencies to all encompassing skills, as I really feel it lets you flesh out characters a lot differently.
I'm fairly sure it was part of the move to the unified mechanic of [d20 + modifier vs target number, and higher is always better], although I suppose we could hypothesize on what a not-roll-under NWP system would be like.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

That's why I like Palladium so much. Nothing tells people more about my character than his 74% (76% would convey a totally different person!) proficiency in Boat Building, and that while he has Pilot: Boat, he lacks Pilot: Airboat.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 15, 2015

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
My character is practically invisible. Moves in and out of shadows and only the most trained eye can see him.

But he's louder than a freight train doing this.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

MonsieurChoc posted:

Hmm. You know, what with the unbalanced classes, misworded rules, and low-hp/high-damage things, if you only add a ton of obscure rules only the DM knows that affect gameplay in unforeseen ways, 5E could make a decent SaGa rpg.

Nah, in SaGa dudes with swords are actually really powerful, or have we already forgotten how stupid good Lifesprinkler was?

Edit: Now I'm wondering, what system would you use to run a SaGa game? Is there one for modeling the ridiculous range of characters and powers and settings in a game like SaGa Frontier?

Omnicrom fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 15, 2015

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Master Twig posted:

My character is practically invisible. Moves in and out of shadows and only the most trained eye can see him.

But he's louder than a freight train doing this.

Coincidentally, he's a lightning rail thief.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

moths posted:

Yeah, the core architecture is where innovation happens. You can use 100% recycled mechanics with a fresh core approach and produce something totally innovative. This happens all the time in wargames: SAGA is probably one is the most innovative wargames recently, and it essentially blends Yhatzee into a historical skirmish game. Both Chain of Command and Sword & Spear also use dice pool activations, but all three "feel" different enough in their application.

During Next development it became clear that Mearls did not understand how core / modular design works. There's no core design principles guiding development. It's all surface-level riffing and remixing of prior editions and other games. It's ingredients without a recipe.

I'm not sure how someone can put that kind of criticism in a list type thing like being discussed earlier, but that is absolutely a key issue with 5e. Not that it takes other concepts and hastily adapts them to the 5e system, but that it didn't do so in a clean and unified way. Which leads to a whole bunch of rule and "ask your DM" issues.

TheAwfulWaffle
Jun 30, 2013

mastershakeman posted:

As far as I know, the change happened when 3.0 came out. I've heard that the 3.0 skill system looks like Rolemaster's, but I don't know anything about Rolemaster and can't say if that's true or not. As for why? I think D&D circa 1999 was one of the few RPG's that didn't have a skill system of some sort. I would guess that it just seemed necessary to the designers.

A slight tangent: I think it's noteworthy that D&D didn't start out with anything like a skill system. AFAIK, OD&D and 1E relied on specific class abilities, player knowledge, and ad hoc house rules to handle the sorts of actions that are now skills. 2E NWP's are only kinda-sorta "skills". The skill system in 3.X and 4E feels a little like a bad fit to me. I don't think the 3E system is very good at all, and I'm not sure that 4E did enough to improve upon it.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

homullus posted:

Coincidentally, he's a lightning rail thief.

That's rough, those things are heavy.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I too prefer a skill system subdivided pointlessly into endless lists of minutia where making a character who's "athletic" is a grueling process of deciding how to best spread my handful of points between Climb, Run, Jump, Swim, Lift Gates, Bend Bars, Endurance, Resistance, Stamina, Resilience, and Use Rope.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

I too prefer a skill system subdivided pointlessly into endless lists of minutia where making a character who's "athletic" is a grueling process of deciding how to best spread my handful of points between Climb, Run, Jump, Swim, Lift Gates, Bend Bars, Endurance, Resistance, Stamina, Resilience, and Use Rope.

Well yeah, it tells you so much more about your character. I mean if they have Stamina they probably went on a lot of forced marches, and if they have Resilience they were probably the target for cannonballs at a circus sideshow. Now if a character is just "athletic," how the hell are you supposed to figure out which of those is accurate besides just saying so and writing it on your sheet and acting accordingly? Nothing, that's what!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

theironjef posted:

Well yeah, it tells you so much more about your character. I mean if they have Stamina they probably went on a lot of forced marches, and if they have Resilience they were probably the target for cannonballs at a circus sideshow. Now if a character is just "athletic," how the hell are you supposed to figure out which of those is accurate besides just saying so and writing it on your sheet and acting accordingly? Nothing, that's what!

I know you're being sarcastic but I do appreciate the difference between a sprinter and endurance runner. And if you want to be both go nuts. And that's without even addressing every other type of athletics.

Basically I'd rather have niche skills that don't matter a ton mechanically and are very specific, but if you're in a spot where it applies (mountain climbing or whatever) it's inarguable instead of trying to convince the DM your athletics skill let's you swim rivers and scale cliffs and whatever else.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

theironjef posted:

That's rough, those things are heavy.

Lightning rail cars weigh far less than traditional rail cars, because their entire locomotive system is pretty light.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Splicer posted:

So I'm playing a wizard, is there a nice free online thing anywhere that lets me view the spells by level and class?

Either one of these should do.

http://salty-ridge-7989.herokuapp.com/
http://donjon.bin.sh/5e/spells/

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

This is exactly what I've been wanting. It even still shows what classes a spell is available for when filtering by a class, so I can see which spells are exclusive.

EDIT: Oh wait, no EE spells, that's rough. I'd also recommend the following:
http://asmor.com/5e/spellbook/

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 15, 2015

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Vanguard Warden posted:

This is exactly what I've been wanting. It even still shows what classes a spell is available for when filtering by a class, so I can see which spells are exclusive.

EDIT: Oh wait, no EE spells, that's rough.

Try the second link.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

I know you're being sarcastic but I do appreciate the difference between a sprinter and endurance runner. And if you want to be both go nuts. And that's without even addressing every other type of athletics.

Basically I'd rather have niche skills that don't matter a ton mechanically and are very specific, but if you're in a spot where it applies (mountain climbing or whatever) it's inarguable instead of trying to convince the DM your athletics skill let's you swim rivers and scale cliffs and whatever else.

Hey DM Athletics should let me do athletic stuff.

No, let's argue.

Okay, I quit.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

Something like a spell, then.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

You seem like you'd be a pretty big fan of Rolemaster or even GURPS and the HERO SYSTEM to a lesser degree.

Don't you think fiddly little poo poo like that clash with the generally very cinematic and abstract nature of the rest of Dungeons and Dragons?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Most of the complaints I saw about NWPs in the Old Days dealt with one of two things a) bloat (check out this pdf of all the NWPs that appeared in various 2E products) and b) the fact that a 18 strength fighter could take the Smithing proficiency and instantly be a better smith than someone with lower Strength who had been smithing all his life.

I suspect those are the reasons we got a limited skill list (with prohibitions against adding more skills) and skill ranks in 3E.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Selachian posted:

(check out this pdf of all the NWPs that appeared in various 2E products)

The table of contents alone is 9 pages long. I am kind of glad I skipped 2e.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
There was a skill in the first edition of dark heresy specifically for getting drunk, which is cool. Use rope and poo poo like that, not so much.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Selachian posted:

Most of the complaints I saw about NWPs in the Old Days dealt with one of two things a) bloat (check out this pdf of all the NWPs that appeared in various 2E products) and b) the fact that a 18 strength fighter could take the Smithing proficiency and instantly be a better smith than someone with lower Strength who had been smithing all his life.

I suspect those are the reasons we got a limited skill list (with prohibitions against adding more skills) and skill ranks in 3E.

I played a homebrew where you got a bunch more points to put into each skill that were multiplied by a modifier which accounted for stat value and it was up to the player to see if he wanted to dump more points in for a perfect score (the equivalent of the lifelong smith). Made for a choice between optimization of getting a ton of skills or just having a few that your character was great at.

2e is so full of fiddly poo poo that I never noticed nwps being a big deal. I bet I would like gurps too and role master looks incredible from the wiki page on it.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 15, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Fsmhunk posted:

There was a skill in the first edition of dark heresy specifically for getting drunk, which is cool. Use rope and poo poo like that, not so much.

There was also a skill for 'And now I say random poo poo to distract and confuse people for a round or two before the party jumps them or otherwise stall for time.'

Guardians of the Galaxy showed the perfect use for it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
^^Blather is the best skill and I miss it terribly when I can't have it. Using anything else when trying to deliberately bore someone to tears just seems wrong.

"I grew up in a family of acrobats but I always harboured a secret love of all forms of sailing and the detailed social history of all the local planes for the past three thousand years. I can easily set up this ship rigging in the middle of a storm so that I can do a ritual tightrope-walking dance to convey our wishes to those creatures from the plane of faaaaarts."

goatface fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 15, 2015

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
The real answer is to use skills divided from attributes and to have the skills be custom-made backgrounds rather then a strict list, assuming you want skills to exist for more then just "DO A THING IN A DUNGEON."

I mean if you're playing a dungeon crawler with minimal story and even more minimal out of dungeon material then sure, you want a strict list of "skills" that all correspond to stuff you'd do in the dungeon, but that's pretty drat rare these days.

Personally I want a game that gives you both by separating "Stuff I Do Not To Die In The Dungeon" and "Stuff That Makes My Character Interesting Outside The Dungeon" but somehow ttg developers haven't had that apparently super difficult to understand idea.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

ProfessorCirno posted:

Personally I want a game that gives you both by separating "Stuff I Do Not To Die In The Dungeon" and "Stuff That Makes My Character Interesting Outside The Dungeon" but somehow ttg developers haven't had that apparently super difficult to understand idea.

Death To Ability Scores.
Like, if ability scores were to be the beginning, middle, and end of chargen, then it would be fine. But we layer enough poo poo on top, that the simplicity of ability scores is completely lost. Then the fact that they govern in-combat and out-of-combat design becomes a liability rather than a simplification of the system.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

ProfessorCirno posted:

The real answer is to use skills divided from attributes and to have the skills be custom-made backgrounds rather then a strict list, assuming you want skills to exist for more then just "DO A THING IN A DUNGEON."

I mean if you're playing a dungeon crawler with minimal story and even more minimal out of dungeon material then sure, you want a strict list of "skills" that all correspond to stuff you'd do in the dungeon, but that's pretty drat rare these days.

I'd rather learn skills as my character progresses, not via writing up my background. That way even dirtfarmer Jr can learn to read and climb ropes and alchemy and whatever else.

I guess I really really like fiddly stuff and don't have an issue with it vs d&ds supposed cinematic feel.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 15, 2015

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Lol, since when did D&D chargen let you learn skills as you progress.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

thespaceinvader posted:

Lol, since when did D&D chargen let you learn skills as you progress.

Technically, 3e with their skill points/level system did this.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

mastershakeman posted:

I'd rather learn skills as my character progresses, not via writing up my background. That way when dirtfarmer Jr can learn to read and climb ropes and alchemy and whatever else.

ahh yes, the old "Shitfarmer phase is a feature" mindset. Have you met my DM?
Characters need some buttons to push from the word go, otherwise you have no business being a goddamn adventurer in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Start with four skills/talents/backgrounds/professions/interests/arglebargles, gain another every third level-up. End up with 10 by level 19.

gently caress language skills though. Too much chance for uselessness or absolute necessity.