Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

paradoxGentleman posted:

Today I remembered a game that might or might not have existed that I played when I was younger. I have vague memories of it, and would like to know if I dreamed it up or if it really exists.

It was a tile-based, possilbly 4x game with a vaguely mystical sci-fi aestetic. Each player would build his own base on his floating island, which could be destroyed one tile at a time. I remember two units specifically: one was a one tile building that would spawn these pear-shaped helycopters made of what looked like glass that would fly right on top of enemy buildings and bombard them. The other one was an hard counter to the first: some sort of circular, squat building, with a sling built in the center. The sling would rotate a bunch, take up speed and release a bullet (disc- shaped, maybe?) that would shatter the pearcopters.

Now that I typed it out it seems even weirder than when I first thought of it. Has anyone heard of this one?

sounds like netstorm, but you can't actually destroy other people's island, also, far from being a 4x

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Nasgate posted:

The problem with Mass Effect 1 was that part of its charm was being pretty. But the art styles Bioware use do not age well. So ME looks like rear end, plays like a 3rd person shooter of its time, and has the good/hilarious/awful/embarrassing writing Bioware is known for.

The Mako sections are legitimately better than every side mission in ME2 though, and even plenty of the main quests. Anyone who disliked the Mako can gtfo.

It was great at first but by the 5th or 6th planet I explored, it had worn out its welcome. By the end I was very much done with it and never wanted to see it again.

e: That said, I would love to see a game about galactic exploration that gets down to the planetary level. That one indie game looks like they're going for that but it looks overly-ambitious for such a small team.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 15, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's something they really should have refined for 2 rather than dumping completely and replacing with a lovely boring mini game.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Sakurazuka posted:

It's something they really should have refined for 2 rather than dumping completely and replacing with a lovely boring mini game.

I think it kind of fits the tone of the game to drop it. 1 was more about exploration whereas in 2 you had a more specific mission and bosses who were less willing to let you go do some peaceful planet-hopping. It wouldn't have fit at all in 3 because of the urgency of getting to the shitshow last third of the game.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

i have lost my talents for making people angry about stupid things these days, but i don't really miss it.
It's okay, I'm also boring and hell, I've made my name out of it.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

bloodychill posted:

It was great at first but by the 5th or 6th planet I explored, it had worn out its welcome. By the end I was very much done with it and never wanted to see it again.

e: That said, I would love to see a game about galactic exploration that gets down to the planetary level. That one indie game looks like they're going for that but it looks overly-ambitious for such a small team.

I'll admit the planets got old, but the gameplay of the Mako was more fun than the on foot BS imo

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

What is a 4x anyway? I like them but I don't understand the name.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

RoanHorse posted:

What is a 4x anyway? I like them but I don't understand the name.

Explore
Expand
Exploit
Exterminate

Basically the key tenants to any 4x game.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Somehow ended up listening to Video Game soundtracks and ended up on Windwaker's ost

Windwaker owns and i will buy a wiiU just to play WW HD.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Nasgate posted:

Somehow ended up listening to Video Game soundtracks and ended up on Windwaker's ost

Windwaker owns and i will buy a wiiU just to play WW HD.

The good news is the Wii U has tons of great games of you don't need to buy it just for WW!

Also I'm glad to see you're starting to move out of your 'insanely bad videogame opinions' phase Nasgate :)

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

A Steampunk Gent posted:

The good news is the Wii U has tons of great games of you don't need to buy it just for WW!

Also I'm glad to see you're starting to move out of your 'insanely bad videogame opinions' phase Nasgate :)

They're still there, I just feel less of a need to preach about the awfulness that is JRPGs and the overt amount of poorly made Isometrics. Enjoying these games seem to be a genetic deficiency and I cannot get mad at people for being who they were born to be.

In the spirit of Good Games: Do you like fire Emblem? Do you like Endless Legend? Do you like Civilization but wish you could cast spells and charge an enemies flank? You should get Age of Wonders 3

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
I wish AoW 3 would go on sale, I can't bring myself to pay $40 for it when I've seen it for like $15.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

summer sale will be here before you know it. also might show up in humble's current sale still

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

program666 posted:

sounds like netstorm, but you can't actually destroy other people's island, also, far from being a 4x

You are correct. Thanks for the info.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
i would like a cute pixelated avatar. please, free me from the ugly ms paint link

i'll repay you in 5s and gratitude

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Adam Bowen posted:

I wish AoW 3 would go on sale, I can't bring myself to pay $40 for it when I've seen it for like $15.

I got it and the first expac for pretty cheap last sale.

I will say though that the latest Expac, Eternal Lords, is completely worth full price for what it adds.

Also, we are currently holding a tournament and goon Thyrok is streaming the match soon.
http://www.twitch.tv/Thyrork/

Right now he's playing some Anime as hell Doom mod

Match is starting

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

So 4x is literally 'be an imperialist rear end in a top hat' gotcha

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

RoanHorse posted:

You should write a thinkpiece about this.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

RoanHorse posted:

yes, but the fun kind

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

RoanHorse posted:

They literally are, in the same way that most platformers including Mario are kind of like murder simulators. Like platformers, they can also totally be a lot of fun.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

RoanHorse posted:

what do you think the x's stand for?

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Imperialists have all the fun.

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015
Picked up Répiblique a few days ago. So far it has had the most professional feel of any mobile game I have played. The totalitarian big brother story isn't too strained and the gameplay doesn't feel forced.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

RoanHorse posted:

alternately, play europa universalis as a native power

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Real hurthling! posted:

i liked it better than what the series became but yeah its rough as hell.

It is the best Bioware game but yeah pretty uneven. The highs are 10x as good as the lows though. Jumping on/off cliffs in the Mako was so fun, and shooting rockets at the earth from the Moon, and the 'sticky' cover system owned better than most other games'.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Sleeveless posted:

Middle-aged game developer executives trying so hard to show how hip and punk and with-it their new game about taking down the man (brought to you by Microsoft, only on Xbox One) was was really, really funny.

i wish i could find the picture where all these guys are in their overdrive e3 bus, but all i could find is the image of them outside it :smith:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Those guys made the game they wanted to make and it's a lot better than the wasteland of uninteresting grey poo poo that has been flooding the new console gen. They are cool in my book.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I guess sometimes life really does imitate art

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
It's just unfortunately not a very good game. And still, I like Tank Girl and Transmetropolitan as much as any shameless goon but I'm not going to glue together a punk kangaroo costume and show up to e3 in it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

bloodychill posted:

It's just unfortunately not a very good game. And still, I like Tank Girl and Transmetropolitan as much as any shameless goon but I'm not going to glue together a punk kangaroo costume and show up to e3 in it.

Yeah I mean I didn't say it was great or good just, at least it's not Watchdogs.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah I mean I didn't say it was great or good just, at least it's not Watchdogs.

To be fair, it doesn't take much to be better than the Ubisoft Formula.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Are those assholes ever going to give up on uplay? It keeps me from buying even their games that sound fun.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Those guys made the game they wanted to make and it's a lot better than the wasteland of uninteresting grey poo poo that has been flooding the new console gen. They are cool in my book.

just because it's colourful doesn't make it good

also mass effect 1 is by far the worst and the mako is one of the dullest video game mechanics ever invented

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

bloodychill posted:

e: That said, I would love to see a game about galactic exploration that gets down to the planetary level.

Maybe just play Star Control II again. You know, the game where Mass Effect copied the whole planet exploration shebang from, except making it boring and bad.

The mako is fine, it's just that you only get to drive it in fractal wasteland and crappy shooting gallery canyon.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Where'd the whole "Sunset Overdrive's wacky exterior is actually made up by SOULLESS MARKETERS" thing come from anyway? Is it really that hard to believe that the people behind Ratchet & Clank would want to make a carefree parkour shooty game?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

bloodychill posted:

Are you talking about the game I'm making?

http://itch.io/jam/tojam-10/rate/25351

StoryTime posted:

Maybe just play Star Control II again. You know, the game where Mass Effect copied the whole planet exploration shebang from, except making it boring and bad.

That's also what I'm copying.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Great Joe posted:

Where'd the whole "Sunset Overdrive's wacky exterior is actually made up by SOULLESS MARKETERS" thing come from anyway? Is it really that hard to believe that the people behind Ratchet & Clank would want to make a carefree parkour shooty game?

probably from the entire game being based around a zany energy drink company going evil accompanied by "fake" marketing twitter account tie ins etc.

also that the interview where they describe how they pitched it shows that they are literally and exactly that.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Great Joe posted:

You see, the xbox one has a very inappropriate type of RAM

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Lurdiak posted:

Based on this gif you're doing a better job than Bioware. Congrats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

Are you talking about the game I'm making?

http://itch.io/jam/tojam-10/rate/25351

Will there be a graphics downgrade between now and final release? Just be honest so we don't have a Witcher 3 situation all over again.

• Locked thread