Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I'm fine with ordering computers as long as there's no blowback when I check every option for video output adapters since lol who would ever write down what we needed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

What's wrong with Robert Half? I've used them, everyone at this company used them, and I have no complaints.

They've made poor decisions with their clients, employees and henceforth they're favorite to badmouth but in all honesty you're going to find the same thing in any enterprise company. If you're looking for a gig is at least apply just be aware there are good projects to be assigned and others that simply aren't.

Although, if there's any company that sucks its VMC Consulting.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Dark Helmut posted:

LI's biggest benefit in my opinion is that it makes it much easier to keep track of your references as they move from company to company. And the networking aspect of it is great too. Tons of good groups to join, whether they are technical forums or local job hunting groups etc.

The references thing is pretty cool but I've rarely found any of the groups useful and mostly consist of awful marketing spam.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
Also make sure to turn off notifications to your connections if you are updating it out of the blue and looking for a job under the radar. That can get uncomfortable.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Man, I've blown so far past my budget the budget I inherited, my boss just said "What's another $2000? I probably won't even notice it."

:cheers:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I'm I the only one who feels like LinkedIn is just unnecessary and just one more thing you have to keep up to date?

I mean you already have your resume out there on job sites, why have one more that will just get you more spam? I guess I've just never needed it and it seems like a hassle to invest a lot of time into it.
LinkedIn is the job site. Every other site is irrelevant.

Seriously, at least 90% of my recruiter hits come in through LinkedIn.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I'm I the only one who feels like LinkedIn is just unnecessary and just one more thing you have to keep up to date?

I hate LinkedIn and haven't logged into my account in probably a year, you're not alone.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Dark Helmut posted:

If I have a rock star candidate,
I know you're a recruiter and all, but don't ever say this unironically

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Bhodi posted:

I know you're a recruiter and all, but don't ever say this unironically

Sorry, "rock star resource". :downsrim:

Dark Helmut fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 15, 2015

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
aaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAA

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Dark Helmut posted:

Sorry, "rock star resource".

:lol:

ellic
Apr 28, 2009

I never asked for this

Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

I hate LinkedIn and haven't logged into my account in probably a year, you're not alone.

It helped me get a first and second interview at Oracle in Austin because I was able to directly message the head of talent acquisition.
It can have it's uses. The spam is dumb but I get that from all the other job sites too so I pretty much expected it.
I also don't bend over backwards to keep it up to date unless I'm looking for a new gig.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

May someone show or describe what good recruiter-catching LinkedIn looks like?

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Tab8715 posted:

I sent you a PM

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Tab8715 posted:

Anything. I have a lovely, half completed LinkedIn Profile, and I still get at least 2-3 recuiters approaching me a month, including one from Google this week(sadly, my networking skills are not up to where they want them, so she will call back in a year :v:)

Just have it, join a group or 2(I am in 2 different linux sysadmin groups) and make sure you have people endorsing your skills, and sit back and let it flow.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Tab8715 posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3531540

start there

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

mayodreams posted:

I sent you a PM

Thanks!

RFC2324 posted:

Anything. I have a lovely, half completed LinkedIn Profile, and I still get at least 2-3 recuiters approaching me a month, including one from Google this week(sadly, my networking skills are not up to where they want them, so she will call back in a year :v:)

Just have it, join a group or 2(I am in 2 different linux sysadmin groups) and make sure you have people endorsing your skills, and sit back and let it flow.

I'm getting the gist of it but I'm curious how location dependent is LinkedIn?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I get about 25 job messages a month, all filtered into a linkedin folder. When you have a completed profile it's just a flood. I don't even read them, since I'm only 4 months into a new job and I'm not intending on going anywhere this year.

The website may suck but linkedin is where it's at right now

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Tab8715 posted:

Have a picture goddammit. One that's publicly viewable and shows you're not some nutjob neckbeard and actually borderline charismatic. Even if you have to fake it! It doesn't have to be ironic or funny or cool, and do NOT have anyone else in it. There's nothing that says sap more than a professional profile with your wife/gf/baby/cat in it.

And like a resume, use searchable terms. If you want people to find you for VMware stuff, have the appropriate terms in there. Depending on how aggressive your search is, you can basically have LI mirror your full resume.

The recommendations are great too, and ideally you can have people write them every so often, rather than make the mistake I've made and ONLY ask when I'm job hunting.

vvvv I'll take "literate English speaker" vvvv

Dark Helmut fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 15, 2015

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Dark Helmut posted:

Have a picture goddammit.
Also be a white male in the picture, if possible

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Dark Helmut posted:

Have a picture goddammit. One that's publicly viewable and shows you're not some nutjob neckbeard and actually borderline charismatic. Even if you have to fake it! It doesn't have to be ironic or funny or cool, and do NOT have anyone else in it. There's nothing that says sap more than a professional profile with your wife/gf/baby/cat in it.

And like a resume, use searchable terms. If you want people to find you for VMware stuff, have the appropriate terms in there. Depending on how aggressive your search is, you can basically have LI mirror your full resume.

The recommendations are great too, and ideally you can have people write them every so often, rather than make the mistake I've made and ONLY ask when I'm job hunting.

There's nothing I want more than to be judged as suitable for a job ad spammer on a social network by my loving profile picture.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I like my job. I like this company, mostly. I like the people I work with, for, and who work for me.

Got a random Linkedin recruiter e-mail yesterday looking for someone to do a job for ~2x what I currently make. I think that there's no way I can possibly apply for this, I won't be qualified. So I scroll down and basically read a description of what I do every day.

Dammit.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
I meet all my candidates in person or on Skype, so the pic isn't for my benefit.

It's for when your future employer inevitably internet stalks you to find out if you're a fit for them. And they come across the facebook pic of you in your ball gag or your 3 yr old public tweets bitching about your last boss. (yes these are real life examples)

You can cry about being "judged" but whether it's good or bad, it's important to keep your social media profiles somewhat professional at least when you're actively searching.

LinkedIn is just a great way to supplement your resume with additional character details about yourself, like a pic, hobbies, personality. Things that would be out of place or over the top on a resume. You're branding yourself.

Dark Helmut fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 15, 2015

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Social Media really is a great screening tool for not hiring shitheads. In 5 minutes you can see all the stupidity that would normally take months to become fully evident.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

There's nothing I want more than to be judged as suitable for a job ad spammer on a social network by my loving profile picture.

It's more so they know you're serious. LinkedIn isn't facebook, it's basically an ongoing networking event.

I've gotten bites from internal recruiters at places like Facebook and Splunk via LinkedIn. Yeah there's a lot of crap that comes through, but it's no worse than sifting through a bunch of poo poo on Indeed. It's like anything else in life: you get out of it what you put into it. So if you're confident that your real-world networking skills are good enough, then don't bother. But at the same time, given that it takes not very much time at all to set up a decent profile, all you're really doing is shutting yourself off to would-be opportunities.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Dark Helmut posted:

And they come across the facebook pic of you in your ball gag
leave aphyr alone

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Bhodi posted:

I get about 25 job messages a month, all filtered into a linkedin folder. When you have a completed profile it's just a flood. I don't even read them, since I'm only 4 months into a new job and I'm not intending on going anywhere this year.

The website may suck but linkedin is where it's at right now

Pretty much this. I spent 15 minutes copy/pasting poo poo from my resume into LinkedIn, and that's about the extent of the effort. Now I just hang out and passively get contacted by several recruiters a week. If the job sounds awful (6 month helldesk contract, SIGN ME UP) or it's obvious they put literally no effort into assessing whether I'm a good fit (no sorry I do not want to be your Senior PHP Dev), I ignore it. If they seem decent, and the job is actually relevant to my interests, I'll politely decline and connect with them for whenever it is I DO start looking for work again. If it's something really amazing, we'll talk further.

I don't enjoy using LI. But if you're even slightly interested in changing jobs, it just seems dumb to cut yourself off from every recruiter's favorite tool.

Tab8715 posted:

I'm getting the gist of it but I'm curious how location dependent is LinkedIn?

No more so than any job seeking tool. What's location dependent is where the jobs are. Probably 80% of the messages I get are for companies in California. Most of the rest are local to me, with a few in random shitholes.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

psydude posted:

It's more so they know you're serious. LinkedIn isn't facebook, it's basically an ongoing networking event.

I've gotten bites from internal recruiters at places like Facebook and Splunk via LinkedIn. Yeah there's a lot of crap that comes through, but it's no worse than sifting through a bunch of poo poo on Indeed. It's like anything else in life: you get out of it what you put into it. So if you're confident that your real-world networking skills are good enough, then don't bother. But at the same time, given that it takes not very much time at all to set up a decent profile, all you're really doing is shutting yourself off to would-be opportunities.

Fair enough, even though I disagree with you, I think it's just like facebook. I got my current excellent long-term job from real life networking skills and contacts and I plan to continue using those should I change jobs, but okay fair, I'm sure it can be a useful tool for some.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

psydude posted:

Its better, since you can mark poo poo as spam, while you have to wade through the spam on job posting sites

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Update on my vendor/stalker:

Yeah.

He just had this delivered with a 2-card note.

:stare:

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
Get the gently caress out

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

It's only a matter of time until one of those shows up boiled in your kitchen.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Who does that? :stare: indeed

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

This was the note (on 2 cards, it's so long):

quote:

Hi Colonial Air Force,

The animals are for your kids. I'm sorry that my miscommunications led to the missteps in our process. [My company] and I would like to win your business. It seemed like we were the technology of your choice. Are you willing to come to a solution? Let's talk.

Thank you,

[Dude's Name and Cell]

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
I loving hate salespeople.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Bhodi posted:

Also be a white male in the picture, if possible
In my linkedin picture, I am a white male, in a suit, with a look of extreme arrogance. This is basically my entire profile.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Colonial Air Force posted:

Update on my vendor/stalker:

Yeah.

He just had this delivered with a 2-card note.

:stare:
Ship him back a $40 bulk lot of 350 lead-contaminated stuffed animals from Alibaba

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Vulture Culture posted:

Ship him back a $40 bulk lot of 350 lead-contaminated stuffed animals from Alibaba

Ship him back the stuffed animals after you host a TFR meet involving tannerite.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Colonial Air Force posted:

This was the note (on 2 cards, it's so long):

Reply back that you appreciate the reminder that your wife just left you and took your kids.

I'm pretty sure even the most determined salesman would be hard-pressed to figure out how to proceed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I think he might take that as an opening to do whatever it takes to close the deal :gay: