Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

SpaceCadetBob posted:

I'm completely pro vaccine, but also the son of a plumber so.

You're Dusty Rhodes?! :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Hey man, doxxing ain't cool. :colbert:

Brass Key
Sep 15, 2007

Attention! Something tremendous has happened!
NPR has something interesting up today: it turns out the measles vaccine drastically lowers childhood mortality from other diseases, because measles fucks up your immune system's ability to recognize diseases you've had before.

quote:

Back in the 1960s, the U.S. started vaccinating kids for measles. As expected, children stopped getting measles.

But something else happened.

Childhood deaths from all infectious diseases plummeted. Even deaths from diseases like pneumonia and diarrhea were cut by half.

Scientists saw the same phenomenon when the vaccine came to England and parts of Europe. And they see it today when developing countries introduce the vaccine.

"In some developing countries, where infectious diseases are very high, the reduction in mortality has been up to 80 percent," says Michael Mina, a postdoc in biology at Princeton University and a medical student at Emory University.

"So it's really been a mystery — why do children stop dying at such high rates from all these different infections following introduction of the measles vaccine," he says.

Mina and his colleagues think they now might have an explanation. And they published their evidence Thursday in the journal Science.

Now there's an obvious answer to the mystery: Children who get the measles vaccine are probably more likely to get better health care in general — maybe more antibiotics and other vaccines. And it's true, health care in the U.S. has improved since the 1960s.

But Mina and his colleagues have found there's more going on than that simple answer.

The team obtained epidemiological data from the U.S., Denmark, Wales and England dating back to the 1940s. Using computer models, they found that the number of measles cases in these countries predicted the number of deaths from other infections two to three years later.

"We found measles predisposes children to all other infectious diseases for up to a few years," Mina says.

And the virus seems to do it in a sneaky way.

Like many viruses, measles is known to suppress the immune system for a few weeks after an infection. But previous studies in monkeys have suggested that measles takes this suppression to a whole new level: It erases immune protection to other diseases, Mina says.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
So what you're saying is that if my child gets measles, it will erase the effect of all the other harmful vaccines I've given my child?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Lote posted:

So what you're saying is that if my child gets measles, it will erase the effect of all the other harmful vaccines I've given my child?

Yes but not the 'tism

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

That Works posted:

Yes but not the 'tism

Actually it would cure the 'tism but unfortunately the child can't get measles because of the vaccine. :negative:

The only way is to infect the child with measles before 2 years old so it gets protection from the 'tism, sort of like a vaccine actually. Measles was Nature's way to fine tune our brains at that crucial stage and we scorned her gifts at our peril.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 10, 2015

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
SB277 (removing of personal belief exemption from school vaccinations in California) just passed the Senate floor in a 25-10 vote this morning. Moving on to the Assembly next, will likely stop off in at least one committee before hitting the floor.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012
Haven't seen this posted but it seems anti-vaxx is worse than I thought - contributed to a vaccine against Lyme disease not being produced anymore.

I managed to stop reading the comments before gouging out my eyeballs, so learn from my experience and just don't.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Well, CA has overwhelming passed a law ending exceptions to vaccines. I wonder what strategy the anti-vax parents will now take to try and not vaccinate their kids.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

pentyne posted:

Well, CA has overwhelming passed a law ending exceptions to vaccines. I wonder what strategy the anti-vax parents will now take to try and not vaccinate their kids.

admiralty law

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

pentyne posted:

home school

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

pentyne posted:

Probably moving out of state/going off the grid completely. Can't vaccinate what you can't find!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Once that's signed in to law hopefully they can pass another bill that adds criminal penalties to people who try to avoid vaccinating their kids for personal/religious bullshit reasons.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Astrofig posted:

Probably moving out of state/going off the grid completely. Can't vaccinate what you can't find!

Gonna laugh if it's rich anti-vaxxers who move to a gold medal school district.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Once that's signed in to law hopefully they can pass another bill that adds criminal penalties to people who try to avoid vaccinating their kids for personal/religious bullshit reasons.

Well, the recent SVU episode had it where a anti-vax doctor was forging vaccination forms to "certify" the kids as vaccinated because he believed it was the safe thing to do.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Then again SVU's not exactly the best when it comes to political commentary.

Redchanit.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

pentyne posted:

No, we haven't yet. It passed the Senate. Still needs to go through the Assembly (including committees) before it can go to the governor. The antivaxxers are pushing hard on assemblypersons with talking points about "parental rights" because they seem to have realized that their "science isn't real" argument didn't do them many favors at the Senate level. I think it will likely take longer to get through the Assembly, their committees are huge compared to the Senate and there are just so many more Assemblymembers to get all on one page.

The Senate vote was quite interestingly partisan. It was a 25-10 vote (4 either abstained or were not present and we currently have one empty seat). The Yea votes were 22 Democrats, 3 Republicans. Nays were 8 Republicans and 2 Democrats. Abtained members were 3 Republicans (one who had voted against it in committee and one who had voted for it in committee) and 1 Democrat. I didn't think it was that partisan an issue. I'm interested to see if that carries over into the Assembly, where we currently have 52 sitting Democrats to 28 Republicans.

First step in the Assembly will be for it to go to the Assembly Rules Committee, which will assign it to whatever Assembly committees it needs to to through (it went through 3 in the Senate (Health, Education, Judiciary), it was slated for 4 but at the last minute, Senator Pan amended it to remove a reporting requirement which meant it didn't have to be heard in Appropriations).

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
It's likely not a conventionally partisan issue -check how the vote maps onto regional income first.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

pentyne posted:

I predict a lot of Oregonians bitching about all the Californians coming to town.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

computer parts posted:

I predict a lot of Oregonians bitching about all the Californians coming to town.

That's one of the safest predictions ever.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Wrong thread.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Discendo Vox posted:

It's likely not a conventionally partisan issue -check how the vote maps onto regional income first.

Where do the Libertarians fall on this? My initial assumption is that they'd be opposed to it as an expansion of government power and they'd put pressure on more conventional Republicans to block it.

Lotta' people are voicing their displeasure over it though.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 18, 2015

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Keeshhound posted:

Where do the Libertarians fall on this? My initial assumption is that they'd be opposed to it as an expansion of government power and they'd put pressure on more conventional Republicans to block it.

Libertarians are squarely against it and yeah, they're pushing the Republicans as we don't actually have any libertarian representation.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Keeshhound posted:

Libertarian/antigovernment ideology is theoretically most likely to oppose vaccination- on cultural cognition it'd map onto the individualist side of the individualist/communitarian axis. The spread between Hierarchy and Egalitarian, the other axis, would be harder to predict. I'll look into getting some of Kahan's more recent research on the subject- I know he has a couple studies ongoing.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
^^^ Layman chiming in, but I'd predict a really strong leaning towards Egalitarian on the basis of "I can do what I want with my body, you do what you want with yours." Unless I'm misunderstanding that divide, in which case ignore me.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Buried alive posted:

^^^ Layman chiming in, but I'd predict a really strong leaning towards Egalitarian on the basis of "I can do what I want with my body, you do what you want with yours." Unless I'm misunderstanding that divide, in which case ignore me.

That would be individualist, on the individualist/communitarian axis. Egalitarian/Hierarchical maps very roughly onto the range of beliefs about how innately different individuals of different groups are. It maps mostly onto culture war values involving race, gender and nationality, for example.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:51 on May 19, 2015

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Libertarians are bigger, more gullible idiots than the anti-vax crowd. I'd expect significant overlap in distrust of vaccines just because libertarians enjoy being contrarian know-it-alls and have honed their capacity for cognitive dissonance. Total disregard of empirical evidence in favor of first principles doesn't hurt either.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Discendo Vox posted:

That would be individualist, on the individualist/communitarian axis. Egalitarian/Hierarchical maps very roughly onto the range of beliefs about how innately different individuals of different groups are. It maps mostly onto culture war values involving race, gender and nationality, for example.

Without knowing how strongly it maps onto different groups, could that tie into perceived values of superior groups? In this instance the natural medicine type crowd who have an unshakeable belief in the value system that their groups holds, keeping away from 'unnatural' science things and the importance of maintaining their children's potential. They can't become autistic because they're obviously destined for great things/an indigo child or whatever.

Obviously doesn't describe many of the people who are anti-vaxx (whom I'd think of more as uninformed/misinformed) but I could see hierarchical thinkers (if that's what I've described) being pretty strongly anti-vaxx, also demonstrating their belief that they occupy a higher sort of status than doctors or scientists that engage in all this non-natural, evil medicing business.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

MrNemo posted:

Without knowing how strongly it maps onto different groups, could that tie into perceived values of superior groups? In this instance the natural medicine type crowd who have an unshakeable belief in the value system that their groups holds, keeping away from 'unnatural' science things and the importance of maintaining their children's potential. They can't become autistic because they're obviously destined for great things/an indigo child or whatever.

Obviously doesn't describe many of the people who are anti-vaxx (whom I'd think of more as uninformed/misinformed) but I could see hierarchical thinkers (if that's what I've described) being pretty strongly anti-vaxx, also demonstrating their belief that they occupy a higher sort of status than doctors or scientists that engage in all this non-natural, evil medicing business.

That would make sense if these were understood as innate beliefs, but the system is all about cultural cognition- meaning how these things map onto common cultural group characteristics and beliefs. If it became a partisan talking point of some sort that only, for example, members of a certain group needed to get vaccinated, then we'd be more likely to see that outcome.

This is actually one of my main concerns with the "drug addiction vaccines" NIDA is researching. They're discussing implementing them by targeting "at risk populations" which will in some parts of the country, for some drugs, translate into "racial minorities". (My other major concern is I doubt the proposed mechanism of action is sound, though admittedly I'd need to research that more). An addiction vaccine would be a historic moment in human history, but I think the effort will fail for a number of reasons.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Reading about actual cases of neurological degradation caused by vaccines is pretty heavy. And in these real, rare cases, it's not some casual 'tism or whatever, but the kids can degrade to a total vegetative state.

Imgaine how lovely those parents must feel. No matter how much they tell themselves that it was just bad luck, that they had their kids best interest in mind, etc, in the end they effectively poisoned their mostly healthy child and robbed them of their future*.

Man, just realized i could be an awesome anti-vaxxer.

http://www.cafc.uscourts.gov/images/stories/opinions-orders/14-5080.Opinion.5-18-2015.1.PDF

The case i was reading if anyone is interested. Kid gets owned by vaccine (well in theory; it's not proven, just likely in this case), parents try to get paid under the vaccine act, evil government rep tries to deny them under obviously bullshit reasons, court throws out decision of evil rep several times. Very dramatic.

*not what i believe, obviously, but rather what i think those parents feel

Zo fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 21, 2015

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Zo posted:

Reading about actual cases of neurological degradation caused by vaccines is pretty heavy. And in these real, rare cases, it's not some casual 'tism or whatever, but the kids can degrade to a total vegetative state.

Imgaine how lovely those parents must feel. No matter how much they tell themselves that it was just bad luck, that they had their kids best interest in mind, etc, in the end they effectively poisoned their mostly healthy child and robbed them of their future*.

Man, just realized i could be an awesome anti-vaxxer.

http://www.cafc.uscourts.gov/images/stories/opinions-orders/14-5080.Opinion.5-18-2015.1.PDF

The case i was reading if anyone is interested. Kid gets owned by vaccine (well in theory; it's not proven, just likely in this case), parents try to get paid under the vaccine act, evil government rep tries to deny them under obviously bullshit reasons, court throws out decision of evil rep several times. Very dramatic.

*not what i believe, obviously, but rather what i think those parents feel

Illusion of control and omission bias makes a mean couple when it comes to vaccines.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Jack Gladney posted:

Libertarians are bigger, more gullible idiots than the anti-vax crowd. I'd expect significant overlap in distrust of vaccines just because libertarians enjoy being contrarian know-it-alls and have honed their capacity for cognitive dissonance. Total disregard of empirical evidence in favor of first principles doesn't hurt either.

Actually, a lot of the Reason.com commentary towards the anti-vaxxers is basically arguing for school vouchers. Technically, there's no legal penalty for a kid not getting vaccinated, they just can't attend a government school. So allow the anti-vaxxers some school vouchers to set up their own schools filled with unvaccinated kids. After a few outbreaks, nobody will want to go to the plague school.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 10:14 on May 21, 2015

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
Latest from the FB friend. Honestly, this one makes me more angry than anything else I've shared here.

For one (and not nearly the only) thing, this should be in a god drat textbook on logical fallacies.

http://imgur.com/By6dVex

Capn Jobe fucked around with this message at 09:17 on May 27, 2015

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
Anyone seen Trace Amounts yet? It's getting big play from the few anti vaccers on my social media

I'd imagine it's the same old poo poo

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Illuminti posted:

Anyone seen Trace Amounts yet? It's getting big play from the few anti vaccers on my social media

I'd imagine it's the same old poo poo

Is that the one with that broken-voiced old Kennedy fuckface rear end in a top hat who goes sticking his ignorant nose where it doesn't loving belong all the time, or am I thinking of something else?

He was on Bill Maher and the entire interview was just disgusting and uncomfortable.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

PT6A posted:

Is that the one with that broken-voiced old Kennedy fuckface rear end in a top hat who goes sticking his ignorant nose where it doesn't loving belong all the time, or am I thinking of something else?

He was on Bill Maher and the entire interview was just disgusting and uncomfortable.

Yes I believe that's the one. As far as I know it's still banging on about thimerosal! The Bill Maher interview was painful. He's actually a great case study in how people can hold a consistent world view over many different topics but still somehow hold a completely contradictory view about one single subject. He's always on about the climate change and not ignoring the overwhelming majority of scientists, but somehow can't parse this logic into his thoughts on vaccines.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Illuminti posted:

Yes I believe that's the one. As far as I know it's still banging on about thimerosal! The Bill Maher interview was painful. He's actually a great case study in how people can hold a consistent world view over many different topics but still somehow hold a completely contradictory view about one single subject. He's always on about the climate change and not ignoring the overwhelming majority of scientists, but somehow can't parse this logic into his thoughts on vaccines.

It's seems like even Bill was getting a touch uncomfortable about old no-voice prick with a famous name and nothing else of any use. God, that guy's a little poo poo.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Capn Jobe posted:

Latest from the FB friend. Honestly, this one makes me more angry than anything else I've shared here.

For one (and not nearly the only) thing, this should be in a god drat textbook on logical fallacies.

http://imgur.com/By6dVex
I like how they mention inoculation then continue calling it vaccination.

Good god this is making me quite angry.
'..Parents took the time to research and told they are not qualified'

Yes a layman's research is equal to 8 years of biomedical study plus clinical experience.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I like how they mention inoculation then continue calling it vaccination.

Good god this is making me quite angry.
'..Parents took the time to research and told they are not qualified'

Yes a layman's research is equal to 8 years of biomedical study plus clinical experience.

Don't forget that this generation has never been sicker.

I remember the yellow fever epidemic delivering the election to Obama as it ravaged the american south, taking out millions of old white voters. Also I am the only surviving child of a family of 12. I had 2 brothers die of tetanus, tuberculosis took out the older sisters and my twin brother died of a dog bite that festered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
God damnit, NPR -

Are The Vaccine Court's Requirements Too Strict?

quote:

Imagine that you're a judge, and you're asked to decide the case brought by Mary and Dave Wildman.

Back in 1997, Mary took the couple's 1-year-old son, Nicholas, to the doctor for the combination vaccine against measles, mumps and rubella. Right after the MMR shot, Mary says, Nicholas started crying uncontrollably.

"This was unbelievable screaming," she says.

Mary and her mom started driving Nicholas back to their home in Evans City, Pa.

"We got about 10 minutes down the road," Mary says. "We had to pull over because he was screaming so violently."

Nicholas was also running a fever. When they got home, the adults gave the little boy some Tylenol and a bath. A few hours later, he finally stopped crying. But from that moment on, as Mary remembers it, Nicholas was different.

"He wasn't talking anymore," Mary says. "He wasn't playing with his brother, who's only 18 months older than he is." At that point, she says, it was like she had taken her baby to the doctor and brought somebody else's baby home.

About a year later, Nicholas was diagnosed with a severe intellectual disability. Mary and Dave tried to figure out what could have caused it.

"Prior to him getting that vaccination, every milestone was on target," Mary says. "Everything was developing normally."

Eventually, she became convinced that the vaccine caused his disability.

On the upside, there are a ton of folks in the site and Facebook comments yelling at NPR for suggesting that we should make the standards lower and for not understanding that correlation does not equal causation. It's rather refreshing, actually.

• Locked thread