Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tony_Montana
Apr 1, 2010
From the new trailer:

Wolves asleep amidts the trees
Bats all swaying in the breeze
But one soul lies anxious wide awake
Fearing all manner of ghouls, hags and wraiths
Birds are silent for the night
Cows turned in as daylight dies
For the Witcher, brave and bold
Paid in coin of gold
He’ll chop and slice you
Cut and dice you
Eat. You. Up. Whole.
Eat. You. Whole.

A lullaby for higher vampires, how amazing :) . So hyped if this is going to be in the game.

Comte, is the creature in the trailer a bruxa or an alp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Tony_Montana posted:

From the new trailer:

Wolves asleep amidts the trees
Bats all swaying in the breeze
Fearing all manner of ghouls, hags and wraiths
Birds are silent for the night
Cows turned in as daylight dies
For the Witcher, brave and bold
Paid in coin of gold
He’ll chop and slice you
Cut and dice you
Eat. You. Up. Whole.
Eat. You. Whole.

A lullaby for higher vampires, how amazing :) . So hyped if this is going to be in the game.

Comte, is the creature in the trailer a bruxa or an alp?

I suspect it's for human children, but playing on the popular stigma against Witchers. You know, what with them being scary mutant killing machines.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

LotsBread posted:

yes please, do tell me where I got the realistic canon wrong about fictional monster hunters going about their day in falalala fantasy land

You loving asked?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Bort Bortles posted:

Holy poo poo they still make physical strategy guides?!? :aaaaa:

I've got the hardcover ones of the recent FROM games amongst some less nerdy coffee table books. If you spring for the deluxe ones they tend to be gorgeous and well put together.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Bort Bortles posted:

Holy poo poo they still make physical strategy guides?!? :aaaaa:
Physical guides tend to be quicker to flip through than a pdf version, and it usually takes a couple of weeks before the free gamefaqs/wiki guides are really useful, so if you absolutely need to spoil all the quests immediately it's not a horrible idea.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Also occasionally they're phenomenally well written and hilarious, like the Morrowind or Homeworld ones. Less often nowadays sadly.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Crappy Jack posted:

Oh yeah, Geralt has teamed up in the past with dragons, vampires, ghosts, witches, all kinds of things. So even being a professional monster hunter, even he understands that sometimes the monsters are in the right and will leave them alone provided they're not hurting anybody, and more often than not, the people who hired him to kill a creature end up being even more monstrous than his prey.

This is actually one of the best things about Geralt as a character and the games in general regarding choices: Monsters aren't all bad and not all of them need to be senselessly killed. You CAN do that of course and probably have fun doing it, but it's also equally fun to be like 'let's chat up this troll and see what his problem is" or "let's talk to this succubus and see what her deal is (and maybe gently caress her)" and then ultimately decide to just leave well enough alone.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

CitrusFrog posted:

I see nobody else has mentioned the durability system evident in several of those sexy, beautiful PC Master Race screenshots. I wonder how intrusive/superfluous it'll be. I'm doubting it'll be Dead Rising/Dying Light levels of "oh look, you hit soft tissue with a sledgehammer a few times and now it's borked," but I'm curious whether it'll be a case of "go to blacksmith/vendor, click repair all" or whether we'll be able to perform maintenance in the field using monster bits and other resources.

Yeah, items with durability combined with a weight/carrying limitation seem like a bad idea at first sight, especially since swords and armor used to weigh quite a lot in Witcher 2.
But if you can keep a spare set in your horse's saddlebags, I would be ok with it.

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013

Norns posted:

You loving asked?

I asked for game info, not if witchers hunted dragons or not. I mentioned seeing a dragon in a trailer, and Geralt chasing it. I don't care if he canonically hunts them or not.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Depths posted:

I dont think a witcher is equipped for fighting a dried semen demon

the gently caress they're not.

I doubt a witcher is going to slay a demon that causes you to buy witcher games and merch uncontrollably though.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

My favorite way to play the Witcher is as protector to all good non humans and killer of all "monsters" - no matter the species.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Witcher 2 has been playing like butt ever since I've gotten to Loc Muinne and I have no idea why. It's not a save problem, I've already cleared out my folder.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

LotsBread posted:

I asked for game info, not if witchers hunted dragons or not. I mentioned seeing a dragon in a trailer, and Geralt chasing it. I don't care if he canonically hunts them or not.

Geralt doesn't hunt dragons :colbert:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

LotsBread posted:

It sounded like you misunderstood his response and took it personally or something. He said that you won't fight big-huge monsters, and since you mentioned seeing a dragon, he also said that Geralt doesn't fight dragons [so it would be unlikely you fight a dragon in this game].

You fight big gryphons and poo poo like that, though.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Spikeguy posted:

My favorite way to play the Witcher is as protector to all good non humans and killer of all "monsters" - no matter the species.

The correct way to play, as shown in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAyxuE8y5g8

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013

Drifter posted:

It sounded like you misunderstood his response and took it personally or something. He said that you won't fight big-huge monsters, and since you mentioned seeing a dragon, he also said that Geralt doesn't fight dragons [so it would be unlikely you fight a dragon in this game].

You fight big gryphons and poo poo like that, though.

Point taken, moving on.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Double Bill posted:

http://imgur.com/a/K3uFC

It's pretty obvious the game looks nothing like the year+ old in-game trailers, but that happens to every game ever. W3 is just following the industry standard.

Holy gently caress. No one loving cares. Take that poo poo back to Neogaf.

shrike82 posted:

:shrek:

Your posts gave me cancer.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Mike the TV posted:

The correct way to play, as shown in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAyxuE8y5g8

The CG trailers they've done for this game are extremely my poo poo.

edit: "close your eyes" :black101:

VanillaGorilla fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 15, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Are all these CG trailers and poo poo going to be in the game, or will I actually need to watch them on youtube at some point?

Oh man. I just finished my Iorveth Chapter 2 playthrough and I'm back to start Chapter 2 with Roche.

I really liked Iorveth's side, so we'll see which one I want to keep as my 'canonical' savegame state. :ohdear:
Roche's side is probably pretty good too, but man, gently caress all those scheming sorceresses. :mad:

It's going to feel weird going from level 31 :black101:back down to level 13 :ese: though.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 15, 2015

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Apparently one of the future DLCs is a hair/facial hair DLC. I want to give Geralt mutton chops so badly.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Somebody turned off all lighting except ambient lighting in this screenshot.

mcbexx posted:

Yeah, items with durability combined with a weight/carrying limitation seem like a bad idea at first sight, especially since swords and armor used to weigh quite a lot in Witcher 2.
But if you can keep a spare set in your horse's saddlebags, I would be ok with it.
Fallout 3 let you combine like items to increase their durability. Less durable items do less damage and guns will jam. This lead people to wonder how you can use 10 brass knuckles to increase the durability of another brass knuckle.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
They gave me a copy of the prima guide and it's *awesome*. I see no money from the sales of this, but I encourage you to get it if you like collectible stuff.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Here's the link for the Giant Bomb live show. It's supposed to be running right now, but I don't see anything yet.
http://www.giantbomb.com/chat/

Edit: It's on their front page now, minus the chatroom. Still not showing anything.

Edit 2: It's up, playing music and showing a dude with blood coming out of his mouth from what's probably a lovely movie.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 15, 2015

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

NaDy posted:

Geralt looks high as gently caress there.
Geralt takes like 10 weird potions a day.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

PC version first impressions (German)

- Very good performance on both Nvidia and AMD cards
- :siren: GTX 770 / R9 280X with 2GB VRAM is sufficient for Ultra / FullHD :siren: (no mention of framerate though)
- Takes full advantage of multiple CPU cores.
- Hairworks butchers performance, don't bother unless you have a monster rig.

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/The-Witcher-3-PC-237266/Specials/Technik-Test-1158845/

This sounds really, really good.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Wow, they downclocked the CPU to 2GHz and it still ran well.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

beer_war posted:

PC version first impressions (German)

- Very good performance on both Nvidia and AMD cards
- :siren: GTX 770 / R9 280X with 2GB VRAM is sufficient for Ultra / FullHD :siren: (no mention of framerate though)
- Takes full advantage of multiple CPU cores.
- Hairworks butchers performance, don't bother unless you have a monster rig.

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/The-Witcher-3-PC-237266/Specials/Technik-Test-1158845/

This sounds really, really good.

That draw distance through the door in the first picture with a slider is pretty drat good.

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011

Ice Fist posted:

Geralt doesn't hunt dragons :colbert:

*gives you a noogie and dunks your head in the toilet*

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

"Downgrades" happen in every video game ever. You aim high for a reason -- because even if you don't hit the mark, you still end up with something better than if you'd set the bar lower. Witcher 3 is a technical and artistic achievement given the size and scope of the game. Can't wait to play it on Tuesday.

Broguts
Oct 16, 2014

beer_war posted:

WHAT? You mean even a pleb like me may experience the majesty of Witcher 3 age of Ultra?

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

harrygomm posted:

Why do people keep saying this

Perhaps they don't now, but is this book wrong? It seems the reason Witchers exist is to hunt /kill dragons.

There are groups of hunters who hunt dragons. The ones mentioned there are not Witchers, they're just dudes.

Witchers don't hunt dragons nowadays because Witchers operate alone and aren't into the whole idea of throwing lots of bodies at a dragon and having some of them die. Perhaps in the past where there were more dragons and more Witchers they did, but nowadays Witchers are far, far more concerned with staying alive than ~doing noble work~.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Yaos posted:

That draw distance through the door in the first picture with a slider is pretty drat good.

For some reason I really prefer the look with Hairworks off, rather than on. It looks like a plastic shell in that screenshot of him in the bath, and then just like a fuzzy ball in the other ones.

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW

Yaos posted:

Here's the link for the Giant Bomb live show. It's supposed to be running right now, but I don't see anything yet.
http://www.giantbomb.com/chat/

Edit: It's on their front page now, minus the chatroom. Still not showing anything.

Edit 2: It's up, playing music and showing a dude with blood coming out of his mouth from what's probably a lovely movie.

It's live. #1 Witcher Papa Vinny confirmed.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
For what it's worth, they're starting a new game on that GB stream rather than just loading up a save and loving around in the open world. If you don't want to see the opening parts of the game maybe don't tune in.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I'm assuming that vinny is importing a save though? If he doesn't have the tattoo he is dead to me.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

GB stream is down, they are fixing the game audio.
Edit: It's back up.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
I don't think they are on PC. I think I heard them say they are gonna wait until next week for the proper quick look.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

They're playing an XB1 build because that's what they received early. They're planning to do the Quicklook on PC next week.

XB1 seems a little framey, but doesn't look too bad. Hard to tell if it's the performance or the stream that makes it look a little hitchy.

edit: They're also playing the entire tutorial instead of just jumping into the game and letting Vinny run around, which seems dumb (and boring).

VanillaGorilla fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 15, 2015

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Tiny Ciri is adorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I thought this close to release was a good time to finally try out that alchemy build in Witcher 2.
Is it better to just chuck bombs 24/7 or buff up your damage so much that you kill everything in one hit?

• Locked thread