Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

PeterWeller posted:

A princeps is the leader of a titan's crew, so that model is really just a fluff piece or objective marker.

I do like how his entire right side seems to have been really hosed up by some explosion or something. It's the price you pay for driving around in a walking doomsday weapon.

In the new Knights book I think it's also a rank awarded to the leader of a mechanicus-aligned knight house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

DO IT TO IT posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was regular Astartes = ~8 ft and primarchs = ~10 ft. Then again, the fluff isn't very consistent.

Isn't that 8 feet in armor?

I prefer to think that the primarchs are Space Marine size and just they have this huge warp presence that makes everyone perceive them as the tallest thing in the room. After all, the whole point of Space Marines is they can fit inside STC spaceships and use STC equipment. If they were 10 feet tall that would just be silly. Though I suppose all of 40k is silly.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

SRM posted:

They're as big as they need to be for the story.

Yo 30gay nerds, would this be a good starting point:
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Forge__World_Bundles/LEGION_MKIII_STRIKE_FORCE.html
I want more Ultramarines.

If you know you want at least 20 MkIII dudes with bolters, that's a great deal. It saves about 10%. Keep in mind that while the current Ultramarine conversion parts probably work with anything, I think they're meant for MkIV, so if there aren't additional Ultramarines upgrades on their way you might be subconsciously committing to buying a second blob.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Sulecrist posted:

If you know you want at least 20 MkIII dudes with bolters, that's a great deal. It saves about 10%. Keep in mind that while the current Ultramarine conversion parts probably work with anything, I think they're meant for MkIV, so if there aren't additional Ultramarines upgrades on their way you might be subconsciously committing to buying a second blob.
Well, there are Mk.III pads for Ultras out there too. I saw the new Ultramarines stuff and it looks dope but I figure I could just use some generic Mk.III duders to lug around bolters when those upgrade kits are so pricey.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mange Mite posted:

Isn't that 8 feet in armor?

I prefer to think that the primarchs are Space Marine size and just they have this huge warp presence that makes everyone perceive them as the tallest thing in the room. After all, the whole point of Space Marines is they can fit inside STC spaceships and use STC equipment. If they were 10 feet tall that would just be silly. Though I suppose all of 40k is silly.

Dreadnoughts get used in boarding actions all the time. I think it's safe to assume ships in 40k are pretty roomy.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Cythereal posted:

Alpharius is Astartes sized - big for an Astartes, but easily mistaken for a regular Space Marine.

Alpharius already has a model, so his size is easy to measure against the other primarchs - you even get five different poses of him to a pack

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

SRM posted:

Well, there are Mk.III pads for Ultras out there too. I saw the new Ultramarines stuff and it looks dope but I figure I could just use some generic Mk.III duders to lug around bolters when those upgrade kits are so pricey.

Go for it! You're on the right track. Even if an Ultramarines Command set comes out eventually you acn always use those MkIII leaders as a sergeant and vexilla bearer.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It actually makes sense for them to use these huge gently caress off ships in 40k, because once you can build a ship in space, you're at the point where materials probably aren't hard to come by since you know, you can mine in space. So no real reason to not build has huge as possible.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Safety Factor posted:

Dreadnoughts get used in boarding actions all the time. I think it's safe to assume ships in 40k are pretty roomy.

I forget which one it was, but one 40k book mentioned tanks getting used on an Imperial battleship boarded by Tyranids.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Fielding a 1000pt Chaos Daemons/Chaos Space Marines list for fun against Eldar tomorrow to see how solidly trounced I will get. I have a feeling it's going to be depressing.

At least all that Eldar D might get a Nurgle infection :zombie:

Combined Arms Detachment - Chaos Daemons
HQ:
Great Unclean One 190pts (240pts)
++Greater Reward 20pts
++Greater Reward 20pts
++Lesser Reward 10pts

Herald of Nurgle 45pts (80pts)
++Greater Locus of Fecundity 25pts
++Lesser Reward 10pts

Troops:
10x Plaguebearer 90pts

3x Nurglings 45pts

Fast Attack:
3x Plague Drone 126pts (141pts)
++Plaguebringer 5pts
+++Lesser Reward 10pts

Allies - Chaos Space Marines
HQ:
Chaos Lord 65pts (165pts)
++Mark of Nurgle 15pts
++Powerfist 25pts
++Lightning Claw 15pts
++Sigil of Corruption 25pts
++Chaos Bike 20pts

Troops:
10x Chaos Cultist 50pts (55pts)
++Flamer 5pts

Fast Attack:
3x Chaos Biker 70pts (108pts)
++2x Meltagun 20pts
++Mark of Nurgle 18pts

Heavy Support:
Chaos Obliterator 70pts (76pts)
++Mark of Nurgle 6pts

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

SRM posted:

Yo 30gay nerds, would this be a good starting point:
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Forge__World_Bundles/LEGION_MKIII_STRIKE_FORCE.html
I want more Ultramarines.

20 marines, a flag dude, and a sword dude is a good place to start. If you grab a drop pod and rhino that gives you 2 tactical squads, 2 sergeants, and some rides. Otherwise its enough for a single tactical blob. It'll be the core of any army you build.

In terms of value, hell no, you can have 3 times as many if you use ebay.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Mange Mite posted:

In the new Knights book I think it's also a rank awarded to the leader of a mechanicus-aligned knight house.

"Princeps" is essentially equivalent to "High King," yeah- it indicates the ruling member of a house of Knights aligned to the Mechanicus.

Safety Factor posted:

Spaceships in 40K are insanely huge. As I recall, even Destroyers are like a kilometer long and have crews in the thousands.

PierreTheMime posted:

Fielding a 1000pt Chaos Daemons/Chaos Space Marines list for fun against Eldar tomorrow to see how solidly trounced I will get. I have a feeling it's going to be depressing.

Eldar really, really hate Heldrakes- they have very few good ways to deal with them. Just sayin'.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Jack B Nimble posted:

I think it's about the meta implications of the army's style. You paint disciplined armies coherently, you paint disorganized mobs in a varied way. Giving them all a uniform shows that they're, well, unified, whereas orks and cultists should look like they showed in up whatever (but then secretly you also tie those together with some common themes).

I've always painted my crisis-heavy tau as having uniformed fire warrior grunts with Gundam/ace pilot crisis suits. Each one was different and could afford to be as they've earned it. I recall there being collections of space operator operators that had different armor colors and types.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

BULBASAUR posted:

20 marines, a flag dude, and a sword dude is a good place to start. If you grab a drop pod and rhino that gives you 2 tactical squads, 2 sergeants, and some rides. Otherwise its enough for a single tactical blob. It'll be the core of any army you build.

In terms of value, hell no, you can have 3 times as many if you use ebay.

A 20 marine tactical blob can lay down a murderous curtain of fire, and if you spring the extra points to equip them with an extra CCW, they are nasty in melee as well. I've got two for my World Eaters.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

PeterWeller posted:

A princeps is the leader of a titan's crew, so that model is really just a fluff piece or objective marker.

I do like how his entire right side seems to have been really hosed up by some explosion or something. It's the price you pay for driving around in a walking doomsday weapon.

Ah right! I should have known that...I'll definitely pick one up then.

I've had a few goons ask me to pick up the Princeps model, if anyone wants one I'm happy to do this and get as many models as they'll let me buy

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 15, 2015

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Fury of the Legion owns. I like my blobs- they soak up bullets vey well marching across the board.

That said, they have no mobility, so I tend to only bring 1 and mechanize or ally everything else.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Emperor-Class Battleships are something like 3 or 4 miles in length, so yeah, they're insanely huge

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
So, I began this hobby back in August of last year, and I decided to take stock of what I have built up so far. My force already dwarfs all my friends at this point, and I don't see myself stopping anytime soon. Here are some pictures:

All the models minus a few are painted or at least repainted by me. Vehicles on the other hand a majority aren't my own work. The more polished ones are my own, while the lighter blue ones are Ebay snags.

Pictured - To much money being spent on toy soldiers

Stupid ugly unpainted Blood Angels being massacred by glorious Ultramarines. All the terrain was missing so we just scoured one another from the table.

Magnetizing Options

Stuff waiting to get painted or re-painted...

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
Wow that's a hell of a nice collection for less than a year.

EDIT:

krushgroove posted:

Ah right! I should have known that...I'll definitely pick one up then.
I've had a few goons ask me to pick up the Princeps model, if anyone wants one I'm happy to do this and get as many models as they'll let me buy, but I'll need cash up front (should be £15 I think?) so I can get them. No profit on my part, I'm only getting the extra ones for goons (not ebay), just pay the postage, which we can figure out afterwards. Apparently I'll be sending one to Alaska! PM me or email me at krushgroove169@gmail.com
I suppose if they don't let me buy enough to cover goon demand I'll ask my friends to get some, after that I'll ask some sketchy hambeast to score me some.
PM Sent. I'd love to buy one of the little wrench-hand clipboard guys if you manage it.

Deanut Pancer fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 15, 2015

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Yeah, seriously. Mad respect for you, dude(?).

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Deanut Pancer posted:

EDIT:

PM Sent. I'd love to buy one of the little wrench-hand clipboard guys if you manage it.

sorted! I'll have to make this the last one I get though, I'm up to 7 now, posting out stuff all over the world for you lovely goons

I will check the thread before I go in the morning though, just in case

BTW I just saw this:

and I want to make white-skinned orks now. Go see it, brilliant Mad Max movie.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

krushgroove posted:

BTW I just saw this:

Yeah, all the vehicles are orky as gently caress that's for sure.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
'orky as gently caress' doesn't even begin to describe these things...I was laughing to myself at how awesome these are:

(posted these a while back in the painting thread)

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Yeah just saw mad max. At one point they do go WAAAAAAGH, not even joking.

As an aside it's a loving brilliant film.

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012

krushgroove posted:

sorted! I'll have to make this the last one I get though, I'm up to 7 now, posting out stuff all over the world for you lovely goons

BTW I just saw this:

Thanks very much!
And yeah, gonna see that movie next week. Really looking forward to it

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

krushgroove posted:

...and I want to make white-skinned orks now. Go see it, brilliant Mad Max movie.

I believe you'll find they're called Diggas :colbert:

But yeah, been meaning to see Mad Max, especially since asshat MRAs started blowing up about it :)

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Zark the Damned posted:

But yeah, been meaning to see Mad Max, especially since asshat MRAs started blowing up about it :)

Explain...

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

As far as I understand it, it's to do with the main characters being female and the film daring to cast them as equals to Mad Max himself. At one point one of them even gives him an order, the horror!

Some MRA shitheads started spouting on at how it's feminist propaganda disguised behind explosions and men should boycott it. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3083606/Blogger-calls-boycott-Mad-Max-Fury-Road-feminist-piece-propaganda-posing-guy-flick.html for an example.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I was already sold on the new Mad Max, but the fact that MRA's hate it already just makes me want to see it more. :allears: I just don't understand those dudes. Seriously, they're the worst.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

quote:

While Clarey says he is not a men's rights activist, he wrote that 'Fury Road' is 'the Trojan horse feminists and Hollywood leftists will use to (vainly) insist on the trope women are equal to men in all things, including physique, strength, and logic.'

Truly, this sounds like a man with an opinion worth listening to!

On a more 40K related note, finally getting around to building my Canoptek Wraiths. Surprisingly simple construction, and while they don't have a ton of options they do at least come in three variations and are reasonably posable. Now if only I can find some way to alter the tai;/body setup for a little more variety...

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
It's really good.

The MRA outrage is entirely because the director hired the woman who wrote the Vagina Monologues to advise him. If nobody knew that then none of the MRA dudes would have ever given a poo poo. It just doesn't make a big deal about gender and there's no gratuitous titties or rape or whatever but it by no means tries to shove a message down your throat.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Safety Factor posted:

The Speranza in the Mars trilogy is described as being continent sized.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

ghetto wormhole posted:

It's really good.

The MRA outrage is entirely because the director hired the woman who wrote the Vagina Monologues to advise him. If nobody knew that then none of the MRA dudes would have ever given a poo poo. It just doesn't make a big deal about gender and there's no gratuitous titties or rape or whatever but it by no means tries to shove a message down your throat.

Why would magnetic resonance anomalies feel any additional attraction or repulsion towards this film over other similarly constructed materials containing cinema? Does the woman who wrote the Vagina Monologues have a specific choice in data storage or film solution that has a measurable effect? I am confused.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
because women have hosed up magnetic fields that cannot be explained by science

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
MRA = martian raygun association. They're protesting the lack of cool energy weapons in films these days

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

ghetto wormhole posted:

It's really good.

It takes some time to get rolling, but the climactic chase/battle is everything you ever wanted from Mad Max distilled into 30 minutes of pure spectacle.

And gently caress any dude whose masculinity is threatened by Charlize Theron with a bad rear end robot arm.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
Speaking of Mad Max and miniatures.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Zark the Damned posted:

I believe you'll find they're called Diggas :colbert:

Orks? ORKS? Armageddon Ork Hunters:

MovieChat: if you like horror movies that aren't insulting to your intelligence and have a great soundtrack, see IT FOLLOWS. Right now. Disasterpeace did great work for the soundtrack, too. :h:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Anyone know when we might see a NOVA updated primer to include Eldar and other recent changes/issues? I'd like to start planning/testing my lists but I have no idea what to plan to...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

krushgroove posted:

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but the last two Warhammer World events I went to were "one each" on the event-only models. I did have some success with asking other people in the queue to pick me one up though.

Sanford fucked around with this message at 08:52 on May 16, 2015

• Locked thread