Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Something that should kill him, doesn't - just like Daenarys' "fire can't kill a dragon" or something like that happens. A straight up miracle.

I'm very excited for the "Jon Snow emerges from fire, hanging dong" scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Festus The Fetus posted:

actually probably York=Stark, Lancaster=Lannister, Plantagenet Dynasty=Targaryen Dynasty. lol kinda lazy actually he basically combined real people and houses from history to write his story.

I wouldn't call it lazy, the first three books were meant to be a fantasy retelling of the War of Roses.

For added fun, William the Conqueror's successor, nicknamed Rufus the Red, was a violent little poo poo That was 'accidentally' killed by his bannerman Lord Tirell.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Something that should kill him, doesn't - just like Daenarys' "fire can't kill a dragon" or something like that happens. A straight up miracle.

Sub-Zero and Scorpion show up and do brutal ice and fire fatalities on Jon and he just gets up and dusts himself off.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

For added fun, William the Conqueror's successor, nicknamed Rufus the Red, was a violent little poo poo That was 'accidentally' killed by his bannerman Lord Tirell.
Allegedly...

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

hiddenmovement posted:

Strange, Ser Barriston seemed to think it carried a fair bit of weight

Ser Barristan was, among others things, a knight who was perfectly willing to stand by while his king brutalized people. He was a lovely knight, and kind of a bad kingsguard. He was a marginally better man than Meryn Trant, basically.

quote:

He's not making an eternal declaration. He is making one in regards to his next of kin, and only his next of kin. This is something that has been done all the time by everyone who ever died ever. Stating that your son is too young to rule has happened countless times throughout history, and naming a regent in the interim is usually what happens. And yes, you DO have to listen to it, if we are talking in strictly legal terms (which you are), because it's the mans last will and testament.

You don't have to listen to it if the man named in it is plotting against the king, which Cersei happened to know for a fact he was. Ned came to her and said as much. You don't let a traitor walk into the room with a document he wrote and lay claim to the realm

quote:

Ned had not accused anyone of anything publically until Cersei ripped up a formal legal document and threatened him. In any case, he has proof that they aren't Roberts. We spent several episodes investigating this point. Entire characters are introduced just to highlight this point. Basically everyone that he's aired this assertion to believes it. It will probably stand up quite well under closer examination, which is why Joffrey (Cersei?) goes on a baby murder spree. There's a goddamn sorceress floating around who can basically smell Baratheon bastards at 100 paces. It is really easily proveable that they aren't his. But yeah hey there's clearly no evidence off with the traitors head tia.

What proof? Their hair color? Cersei confessed to him in private; if pressed publicly she would just deny it. He has no proof besides his conviction. That's enough for lots of people, but it's not proof.

They kill the bastards after the wars start, because at that point, people are challenging his legitimacy and having a potential figurehead that close by is dangerous.

We also didn't know Melisandre could sniff royal bastards out by that point, and we also don't know that her ability is limited to Baratheons only (she wanted Jon real bad). Also, who the gently caress besides Stannis would trust a foreign, murderous, heretic witch to depose their monarchy?

quote:

The issue I have with someone claiming Ned committed treason is that it's a fundamental misreading of the character and the world he inhabits. Ned is a goody two shoes moral absolutist who follows the rules and does the right thing no matter what. He can just tell Robert that the kids aren't his and be done with it. He doesn't because he loves his friend and would to deliver such cruel news on his deathbed. He can just get Renly and the Tyrells to carve the kings guard apart and stick Renly on the throne. He doesn't do it, because that wouldn't be right because Stannis is the rightful heir. He can just align with Littlefinger. He doesn't do that for much the same reason. The irony is that Ned is a wholly good and law abiding man, who would probably freak out at filing his taxes late. He would never commit treason against the realm, yet he is executed for treason.

Intent doesn't make treason, actions do. That's why Ned calls Jaime Kingslayer like a slur, even though he and Robert were on a campaign that would eventually have needed to end in exactly that way. Jaime did a noble, necessary thing, but his actions define his crime. Ned did a lot of treasonous things.

Tomahawk posted:

Sub-Zero and Scorpion show up and do brutal ice and fire fatalities on Jon and he just gets up and dusts himself off.

The song of Ice and Fire is just a list of the women Jon sleeps with: a redhead and a platinum blond

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Bobo the Red posted:

Ser Barristan was, among others things, a knight who was perfectly willing to stand by while his king brutalized people. He was a lovely knight, and kind of a bad kingsguard. He was a marginally better man than Meryn Trant, basically.
"The task of a Kingsguard is to defend his King, not to judge his actions." - Barristan Selmy

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Tomahawk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enVToQC-cB0

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

JT Jag posted:

"The task of a Kingsguard is to defend his King, not to judge his actions." - Barristan Selmy

I wouldn't get roped into responding to that guy if I were you, take it from someone who has learned his lesson

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Without a shred of irony, this.

hiddenmovement fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 15, 2015

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

JT Jag posted:

A convenient excuse for standing by and being a passive participant in rape and murder.

Jaime's a huge rear end in a top hat who tried to kill a kid, and he's still a far better man than any other kingsguard. Knights are supposed to protect the weak, and the kingsguard are meant to be the paragons of knighthood, but they just stood there and watched violence on violence on violence.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Bobo the Red posted:

A convenient excuse for standing by and being a passive participant in rape and murder.

Jaime's a huge rear end in a top hat who tried to kill a kid, and he's still a far better man than any other kingsguard. Knights are supposed to protect the weak, and the kingsguard are meant to be the paragons of knighthood, but they just stood there and watched violence on violence on violence.
The sole, sacred task of the Kingsguard is to defend their king from threats. Their place is not to judge. It's why Jaime was reviled as the Kingslayer: he broke his oath to kill Aerys. Anyone else, it wouldn't have mattered.

Are they knights? Yes, but that comes second when they take the white, because the Kingsguard are fantasy Secret Service agents. They need to always be willing to take a bullet, or in this case a sword, for their liege.

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 15, 2015

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Potato Knight Kid will right the wrongs of the Kingsguard, except he will probably be killed by a wilding next episode.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

:siren: Spoiler warning :siren:
:nws:http://i.imgur.com/oWlqdBC.png:nws:

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

pasaluki posted:

This is actually a really interesting post. I don't think they could have prevented Joffrey from being a sadist, but they did have a hand in making him as incompetent as he was. Joffrey had fits of competence such as recognizing the threat Dany might pose, and his idea for a standing trained army vs conscription that history has shown to be a good idea. He also expressed interest in going to small council meetings and learning about what was happening around the realm. He was a spoiled evil rotten little poo poo but every time he tried to be more than that he was undermined.
It's worth pointing out that the bit with the standing army and fear of Targ reconquest were actually Robert's ideas (from the "which is the bigger number" scene). I always read Joffrey's adoption of them as him trying to live up to the image of his "dad."

I guess what I'm saying is that I wouldn't give Joffrey credit for competence because of these things. More of a broken clock scenario than anything else.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

JT Jag posted:

The sole, sacred task of the Kingsguard is to defend their king from threats. Their place is not to judge. It's why Jaime was reviled as the Kingslayer: he broke his oath to kill Aerys. Anyone else, it wouldn't have mattered.

Are they knights? Yes, but that comes second when they take the white, because the Kingsguard are fantasy Secret Service agents. They need to always be willing to take a bullet, or in this case a sword, for their liege.

According to Jaime at least, they do actually have conflicting duties, but I guess it's probably easier for them to act like only one vow they made matters :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpD47mmlei4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ5oRxgphRc

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Bobo the Red posted:

According to Jaime at least, they do actually have conflicting duties, but I guess it's probably easier for them to act like only one vow they made matters :shrug:
Note that this opinion on the duty of the Kingsguard is coming from Jaime Lannister, person noted for killing a king, so his opinion might not be unbiased?

Don't get me wrong. What Jaime did, killing Aerys to keep him from burning Kings Landing down? It was absolutely the morally correct thing to do. I don't blame him at all. And yet it is undeniable that he broke his vows in order to do the right thing.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

JT Jag posted:

Note that this opinion on the duty of the Kingsguard is coming from Jaime Lannister, person noted for killing a king, so his opinion might not be unbiased?
The ones who didn't/wouldn't do that are no less biased.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

feedmyleg posted:

If Lyanna and Rhaegar are John's parents, who alive right now would even know? What proof could be presented?

As presented from the show, they definitely implied Littlefinger knows more than he lets on.

Also, Bran is hanging out under some kind of psychic Yggdrasil with Radagast, who's been "watching everyone all their lives."

Also, Melisandre's smoke ovaries swell for King's blood, and she sees magical visions constantly.

Any of these could take care of it.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Melissandre almost certainly knows. She could pick that Gendry was Baratheon's bastard on nothing more than her gut.

"You know nothing Jon Snow audience."

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

There are so many amendments in the constitution of the United States of America--I can only choose one!

Bobo the Red posted:

Kingsguard are supposed to guard the king. Joffrey didn't die on Barriston's watch. Jus sayin'.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

hiddenmovement posted:

Melissandre almost certainly knows. She could pick that Gendry was Baratheon's bastard on nothing more than her gut.

"You know nothing Jon Snow audience."

I could see that, if she knows she might have said something to Stannis since show Stannis had that line about not believing the bastard cover story.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

BubbleGoose posted:

Kingsguard are supposed to guard the king. Joffrey didn't die on Barriston's watch. Jus sayin'.

But Robert and the Mad King both did, so...

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I could see that, if she knows she might have said something to Stannis since show Stannis had that line about not believing the bastard cover story.

If Melisandre says something to Stannis, she puts him in the position of having to rather hastily decide what to do about the bastard heir to the Targaryen throne who is also the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch and the only other person focused on what Stannis believes is the true threat to Westeros.

If she says nothing, she knows Jon will be there when they get back. Seems like an easy choice.

Also she's evil.

Bobo the Red fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 15, 2015

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Bobo the Red posted:

But Robert and the Mad King both did, so...
Barristan wasn't in King's Landing at the time when Jaime killed Aerys, he was fighting in the Battle of the Trident alongside Rhaegar. The Kingsguard are responsible for defending all members of the Royal Family, just the king foremost.

Some blame for Robert's death does fall on him though, he was part of Robert's hunting party when he was fatally wounded. That said Cersei did rig that trip so that Robert would face a boar while he was incapable of properly defending himself, and if it failed she would have had him killed some other way.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

JT Jag posted:

Barristan wasn't in King's Landing at the time when Jaime killed Aerys, he was fighting in the Battle of the Trident alongside Rhaegar. The Kingsguard are responsible for defending all members of the Royal Family, just the king foremost.

Some blame for Robert's death does fall on him though, he was part of Robert's hunting party when he was fatally wounded. That said Cersei did rig that trip so that Robert would face a boar while he was incapable of properly defending himself, and if it failed she would have had him killed some other way.

Well, it's not like Rhaegar survived either. Or really any of the people who had Kingsguards with them.

I'm not sure Cersei trying to murder Robert really excuses Selmy from having failed to protect him, since saving the king from being murdered is literally his job. Or as you put it, the "sole, sacred task of the Kingsguard is to defend their king from threats"

Edit: While reading up on this, I stumbled on a very mild book spoiler about Selmy that made me feel better about this whole thing.

Bobo the Red fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 16, 2015

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

My Q-Face posted:

You know, if there's one Game of Throne-ism I absolutely hate, it's this. It's opium, we get it, why the gently caress do we need five syllables to allude to it, every single time it's brought up? Call it Laudanum, call it Soma, call it Somniferum, call it Opium, call it Poppy Tears, call it Poppy Milk, even. Call it anything else, but for fucks sakes Milk of the Poppy sounds so god-damned pretentious-fantasy-novelist-pretentious.

This is probably the one time I'm gonna stick up for GRRM but opium, laudnaum and somniferum are obviously Latin-based and there's no real Latin equivalent in ASoIaF. The word opium even comes from the originally Greek words meaning "juice of [the plant]. Also the term "milk of [x]" has been used in various other scientific applications, so it's not really that "fantasy," in my opinion.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Was there a reason for the Littlefinger's actor to switch from a normal speaking voice to the retarded whispery affected act he's got going now? I don't recall one, and it really has been bothering me for a while.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Bobo the Red's posts are really making me want to read a fantasy revisionist' historians take on A Game of Thrones. I want Lannister and Baratheon descendants arguing endlessly over whether it would be appropriate to exhume the body of King Joffrey I to test his paternity. I want to know what kind of Princes in the Tower-style mythology would develop around Arya, and how Margary's rapid succession of husbands would be interpreted.

Given how much happened off the books and behind the scenes, the entire series mustlook incredibly bizarre to an outsider. Massive feudal institutions have disappeared over night, elites are dropping dead everywhere, half the country is awash in refugees, there's rumors of an invasion coming from the East, the Wall's under siege, and nobody understands why. It should be no wonder that people are flocking to the Church. At least they claim to have some answers.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 16, 2015

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Thank you guys for eclipsing Bobo the Red's endless wave of terrible opinions. Joffery did nothing wrong is the single most :psyduck: thing this thread has ever produced.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

counterfeitsaint posted:

Thank you guys for eclipsing Bobo the Red's endless wave of terrible opinions. Joffery did nothing wrong is the single most :psyduck: thing this thread has ever produced.
'Joffrey did nothing wrong' and 'Joffrey had a few good ideas' are subtly different opinions.

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

There are so many amendments in the constitution of the United States of America--I can only choose one!

counterfeitsaint posted:

I actually enjoy his posts for being so off the wall contrarian.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So I'm watching the history and lore of westeros stuff on youtube, and I just got to the video about House Reed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKZrZXIYiBM

Goddamn, can we see this poo poo on the show at some point please?? Everything in that video sounds awesome

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

The Sausage King of Chicago
Mm

Abe Froman fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 16, 2015

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Abe Froman posted:

If Jon is the son of Rhaeger and Lyanna is he still a bastard? I get in the sense he is a the child of two people that aren't married, but unlike Ramsey, Jon is the son of nobility.

Would he fall somewhere between a true bastard and the child of married mobility standing-wise?
He'd still be a bastard, but his name should be Jon Rivers, not Jon Snow.

Unless Rhaegar and Lyanna secretly married one another at some point.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

JT Jag posted:

Jon Rivers, live at the Grand Ol' Opry

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

JT Jag posted:

Unless Rhaegar and Lyanna secretly married one another at some point.

I think if you could walking out of fire completely unharmed with your cock out, it doesn't matter if you are a bastard or not.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vanderdeath posted:

This is probably the one time I'm gonna stick up for GRRM but opium, laudnaum and somniferum are obviously Latin-based and there's no real Latin equivalent in ASoIaF. The word opium even comes from the originally Greek words meaning "juice of [the plant]. Also the term "milk of [x]" has been used in various other scientific applications, so it's not really that "fantasy," in my opinion.

Wait, aren't "septs" and "high septon" derived from the latin number seven?

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Kanine posted:

Wait, aren't "septs" and "high septon" derived from the latin number seven?

Any other time I heard the term sept in a fantasy setting it was related to the Irish/Scottish term http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sept
Although even that wiki articles states it could still be Latin. And you're etymology does make more sense in this context.

Edmund Lava fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 16, 2015

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Vanderdeath posted:

Valyrian is treated as the Latin equivalent.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

JT Jag posted:

I don't know think so. I think bastard names are usually more about where you're raised, not who your father is. And the Targaryens aren't from the Riverlands, anyway.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Bastards from the Crownlands (the area surrounding and including Kings Landing) are given the surname Waters.

Behold, the one true King of Westeros:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Maarak posted:

Bastards from the Crownlands (the area surrounding and including Kings Landing) are given the surname Waters.

Behold, the one true King of Westeros:

First of his name.

Long may he reign.

• Locked thread