Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

420 Gank Mid posted:

I wouldn't recommend citing Carlin in a paper the way you could probably get away with with Mike Duncan but he's a damned good narrator.

I actually cited him successfully in a PolSci paper recently :v:

But yes Carlin is more interested in getting you to understand the personal experience of different places and eras, whereas Duncan is much more the lecturer: big picture, big characters.

I haven't dug much into that 10 Presidents podcast where they've been recruited as narrators, but the Nixon episode with Carlin is weird from what I have listened to. It seems a shame to get Dan Carlin and then force him to speedread, and between frequent sound clips no less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

jng2058 posted:

What's really bad is how no one bothers to mention things like the War of 1812 being a minor sideshow in the greater Napoleonic Wars. It's just "Impressment, Brits bad, White House burn, Battle of New Orleans we win, hooray!" :rolleyes:

I think, technically, the order of those last two go, "...we win, Battle of New Orleans, hooray!"

head58
Apr 1, 2013

A friend recently turned me on to the podcast "Lore." It's about folklore/history with a focus on the creepy stuff like ghost stories and vampire legends. Only 5 episodes out so far and it's decent, although I could do without the background music throughout.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/lore/id978052928?mt=2
http://www.lorepodcast.com

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Rodyle posted:

I actually cited him successfully in a PolSci paper recently :v:

But yes Carlin is more interested in getting you to understand the personal experience of different places and eras, whereas Duncan is much more the lecturer: big picture, big characters.

I haven't dug much into that 10 Presidents podcast where they've been recruited as narrators, but the Nixon episode with Carlin is weird from what I have listened to. It seems a shame to get Dan Carlin and then force him to speedread, and between frequent sound clips no less.

To use a crude analogy, if history podcasts were the Titanic then Mike Duncan is the ship's wikipedia page, while Dan Carlin is the James Cameron movie (especially the boxing scene)

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

webmeister posted:

To use a crude analogy, if history podcasts were the Titanic then Mike Duncan is the ship's wikipedia page, while Dan Carlin is the James Cameron movie (especially the boxing scene)

I'm not following you at all, can you rephrase that in a boxing analogy?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

webmeister posted:

I guess you do often see relatives of some random dead Titanic guy complaining about his unfair skewed depiction (hey, my great great grandad didn't murder some dude and then blow his brains out!!!! James Cameron just wanted to include the other interpretation man), so this analogy checks out.

Except Mike Duncan is way more entertaining than a wikipedia page.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

TontoCorazon posted:

I'm not following you at all, can you rephrase that in a boxing analogy?

In the historical narrative podcast arena Mike Duncan is a bantamweight, moving deliberately around the ring landing rhythmic, measured, well-timed and accurate punches. Not spectacular, but very effective.

Dan Carlin, on the other hand, is a lumbering heavyweight that swings only rarely. But when he swings, he lands - big time.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

thrawn527 posted:

I think, technically, the order of those last two go, "...we win, Battle of New Orleans, hooray!"

And wouldn't it be nice if they taught it that way? :sigh:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

jng2058 posted:

Well, my dad is a history teacher, so that's what he always taught me. But yeah, it would be nice if they taught it that way.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

jng2058 posted:

Actually every class where 1812 came up it was very deliberately presented as New Orleans happening after the truce, but before the slow rear end trans-Atlantic messaging could get through. But we totally won a meaningless battle and that absolutely squares us with the Canadian-Brits burning down the White House and sacking D.C.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

webmeister posted:

In the historical narrative podcast arena Mike Duncan is a bantamweight, moving deliberately around the ring landing rhythmic, measured, well-timed and accurate punches. Not spectacular, but very effective.

Dan Carlin, on the other hand, is a lumbering heavyweight that swings only rarely. But when he swings, he lands - big time.

Now that's better.

motorcyclesarejets
Apr 24, 2007

webmeister posted:

You can read this in Dan Carlin's voice for added effect

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

motorcyclesarejets posted:

You can read this in Dan Carlin's voice for added effect

I'm assuming it was written as such.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Somethingawful forums poster Tonto Corazon, writes

I'm assuming it was written as such.END QUOTE

And he's correct.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Is the 10 American Podcasts episode for Mike Duncan really only like 16 minutes compared to Carlin's ep being more than an hour? Bummer.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

It's a Q&A, a sort of prologue. Duncan's going to make a proper episode but it said at the end of the Q&A that it was going to be out by the end of April, so, yeah.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
I want to give a recommendation to the Stuff They Don't Want You To Know podcast. Which by name and appearance would appear to be a conspiracy / fortean / wingnut vehicle, but actually is more focuses more on uncommon or little discussed knowledge. I've just listened to two good ones: "North Korea: Fact or Fiction" and "Are Diamonds a Scam". Well presented, not too long, decently researched.

EDIT: listened to a few more of their episodes and they do get a bit more out there. But even those are well done.

While I'm here, I may as well give a boost to the long departed but still available Truth-Driven Thinking, which was a sceptical podcast that was genuinely open-minded and looked at things like the effectiveness of speed limits, whether prostitution should be illegal, the historical evidence for Jesus etc. (With the massive caveat that TDT changes and arguably derails towards the end of its run with the host talking about his "personal journey", a novel being written and a whole lot of meta-discussion taking place.)

nonathlon fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 16, 2015

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Is there a decent (free?) Android app people like for their 4.5hr podcasts? I was punishing myself finding my place every time with Play but now it has decided it doesn't always want to play things when I do.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

I use Podkicker. It's a podcast aggregator, not strictly an mp3 player, so you'll have to subscribe to the RSS feeds of whatever shows you want to listen to. The search function within the app has always been very good about locating any shows I'm trying to find, though.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Antares posted:

Is there a decent (free?) Android app people like for their 4.5hr podcasts? I was punishing myself finding my place every time with Play but now it has decided it doesn't always want to play things when I do.

Beyondpod or pocketcasts

Meatlong Football
Feb 11, 2008

Antares posted:

And to round out the suggestions there is Podcast Addict which is free and has all the features but is ugly as sin with way too many menus.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

webmeister posted:

Somethingawful forums poster Tonto Corazon, writes

I'm assuming it was written as such.END QUOTE

And he's correct.

Could you post this agyyyaaaiiin?

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Riptor posted:

Could you post this agyyyaaaiiin?

Folks,

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
Ugh!

The 10 American Presidents podcast on Nixon by Dan Carlin is just impossible to listen to, at least if you're anything like me and hate being constantly interrupted by sound clips accompanied by some kind of lovely soundtrack.

How anyone figured that this would be a good way to present a history podcast is completely beyond me - if your attention span is so short that you need pumping music and "exciting" clips every few minutes to keep you interested, you're probably not the kind of person that enjoys hours-long episodes about historical subjects.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Offler posted:

Ugh!

The 10 American Presidents podcast on Nixon by Dan Carlin is just impossible to listen to, at least if you're anything like me and hate being constantly interrupted by sound clips accompanied by some kind of lovely soundtrack.
I'm imaging a history podcast done by morning radio show jocks with lots of soundboard effects and its hilarious

"And then, just as the BEF was cornered at Dunkirk, Hitlers orders the Panzers to stop!"
*laugh track*
AAAOOOOGA!
DING DING DING!

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
This is why I had to stop listening to radiolab.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

It actually had a few songs in the background that are on my playlist but they were still distracting for that very reason. If I wanna listen to The Cinematic Orchestra I'll just listen to it.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
The 10 american presidents isn't badly done it's just not produced in the way most podcasts are; a dude in a room talking into a mic. The soundclips didn't bug me since they were mostly just speeches/clips from interviews and for a modern figure why quote him when you can just put the audio clip of him talking right in the thing. The music was annoying though.

e: Also the timeframe on this thing is insane. The Q&A episode mentioned the next episode coming out in late May and the Q&A went up April 4.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Judging by the first two, you'd think the timeline would be way easier to manage. Apparently every president has a different guy doing it, so if one falls behind surely one of the other 8 dudes is ready.

I just really want the Jackson episode to be up. That is one fascinating, crazy, son of a bitch.

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes

Gyges posted:

I just really want the Jackson episode to be up. That is one fascinating, crazy, son of a bitch.

They might as well just put up the episode of the Dollop for him, I can't imagine anyone else topping that

Risket
Apr 3, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

uPen posted:

The 10 american presidents isn't badly done it's just not produced in the way most podcasts are; a dude in a room talking into a mic. The soundclips didn't bug me since they were mostly just speeches/clips from interviews and for a modern figure why quote him when you can just put the audio clip of him talking right in the thing. The music was annoying though.

e: Also the timeframe on this thing is insane. The Q&A episode mentioned the next episode coming out in late May and the Q&A went up April 4.
I really like the format of Carlin's episode, but I'm wondering why Carlin's episode on Nixon is well over an hour, and Mike Duncan's Washington episode is 16 minutes long. I mean, it's loving Washington, you could do 55 hours on that guy and not be done. Maybe they left the format up to the speaker, and Carlin isn't capable of doing a history podcast that is less than 2 hours.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Risket posted:

I really like the format of Carlin's episode, but I'm wondering why Carlin's episode on Nixon is well over an hour, and Mike Duncan's Washington episode is 16 minutes long. I mean, it's loving Washington, you could do 55 hours on that guy and not be done. Maybe they left the format up to the speaker, and Carlin isn't capable of doing a history podcast that is less than 2 hours.

The 15 minute thing is just a Q&A preview, the full Washington episode isn't out yet.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Offler posted:

Ugh!

How anyone figured that this would be a good way to present a history podcast is completely beyond me - if your attention span is so short that you need pumping music and "exciting" clips every few minutes to keep you interested, you're probably not the kind of person that enjoys hours-long episodes about historical subjects.
The funny thing is, I agree with what you're saying but it's the reason I actually enjoy the podcast. Because generally I hate those podcasts with other audio like that (well, Serial being a rare grudging exception) but that's why I kind of enjoy 10 American Presidents since it's a special one-off "podcast event" type thing for me (and if you tell me "Dan Carlin did a podcast episode on insert 20th century topic that could get into American politics" I'm already not really going in with high standards/expectations anyway) and so there's the novelty of this sort of clip-filled podcast I usually hate and avoid 99.9% of the time.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Risket posted:

If you listen to that episode it's a 5 minute preview of the episode and then the producer cuts in and does an interview with Mike Duncan and then says the full episode will be up in late March. (2016?)

Gibfender posted:

They might as well just put up the episode of the Dollop for him, I can't imagine anyone else topping that

Also replace the Washington episode with the episode about Washington's horror mouth filled with clockwork gadgets and dead men's teeth.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

Gibfender posted:

Thank you for this. Took some time getting used to a literal Morning Zoo Radio History Podcast, but drat, that was a great story.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I like how sure Brian Dunning is in there not being listeners of Skeptoid who like Kanye West.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Captain Shortbus posted:

Thank you for this. Took some time getting used to a literal Morning Zoo Radio History Podcast, but drat, that was a great story.

I highly recommend the following dollops:

Newport Sex Scandal
Samuel Whittemore
The Rube
Ten Cent Beer Night

They also cover the Killdozer story from start to finish in the Marvin Heemeyer episode.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I highly recommend the following dollops:

Newport Sex Scandal
Samuel Whittemore
The Rube
Ten Cent Beer Night

They also cover the Killdozer story from start to finish in the Marvin Heemeyer episode.

Added to the list. I listened to the Ghosts episode and spent the last 45 minutes of it laughing my rear end off. Funniest bit I've heard in a long time.
:tipshat: for the suggestions.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Currently listening to the SLA episode. Those guys sound like LF become flesh. lol

E: the sla are lf, not the hosts of the show

midnightclimax fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
So...I can't tell if these posts are recommending Dollop or not.
Guess I'll just go check it out.

p.s. Whistlestop and You Must Remember This remain pretty decent. I'm not one of those serial killer-interested guys necessarily and the details are already known and gruesome to me, but You Must Remember This is doing a pretty good multi-parter on the Manson family and Hollywood right now.

p.p.s. FREE BRIAN DUNNING

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 4, 2015