Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Do you have the game of thrones mod installed? That's apparently responsible for a whole lot of those C++ saving crash errors.

Oh gently caress I do. Alright I'm gonna uninstall that.

edit: ha, this whole time I was thinking it was Rajas of India cuz I just bought that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Do you have the game of thrones mod installed? That's apparently responsible for a whole lot of those C++ saving crash errors.

How's that possible if he is playing vanilla? Does that installer .exe they provide do something more then just extract the files? :raise:

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Also, try to play in offline mode. That helped a lot with my crash issues.

Total sidenote: everybody should do a Finland game. You're indestructible. I have 4k soldiers, Russia had 13k, they came at me and got annihilated by the winter. Reformed Church of Suomenusko, so this was even without the pagan attrition bonuses. It was kinda amazing watching their army just disappear on its own accord.

Back To 99 posted:

How's that possible if he is playing vanilla? Does that installer .exe they provide do something more then just extract the files? :raise:
No idea. That's what people said when I googled it a while back, and it worked for me. :iiam:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Deceitful Penguin posted:

When did plots have prices added to them? Could it be that they did that "money makes up for low plot percentage" thing?

Also, have the tribal Manicheans in the far east always started with, respectively, Tanistry and ultimogeniture?

Tbh, gavelkind only bothers me now in that it's annoying not knowing or having control over who inherits what. If you could have a little screen, where you moved titles around until they were equal or just got exactly what everyone gets after you croak it, it would be better.

Yeah. I don't mind giving my second and third sons some land but uh why do they have to take my capital holding? Your capital duchy and anything in it should be safe from getting parceled out, especially if you have tons of other titles for them to take.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
Uninstalling GoT mod just fixed my save issue, what the gently caress is that. Anyway, prepare to die Ulster.

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007
So my glorious Norse Yazidi Merchant Republic of Gotland was eventually crushed after 200+ years once Russia reformed Sumonesko and conquered the poo poo out of me.

I want to play something a little more... traditional. I've done Karl and the Byz, I've attempted William the Conquerer several times to no avail, what are some good Christian Feudal starts? Not really a big fan of giant empires, more like medium sized kingdoms.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Deific Presence posted:

So my glorious Norse Yazidi Merchant Republic of Gotland was eventually crushed after 200+ years once Russia reformed Sumonesko and conquered the poo poo out of me.

I want to play something a little more... traditional. I've done Karl and the Byz, I've attempted William the Conquerer several times to no avail, what are some good Christian Feudal starts? Not really a big fan of giant empires, more like medium sized kingdoms.

Try out Spain or the classic Ireland if you need to ease into Feudal Catholics.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I like it when crazy ahistorical stuff happens. In my current game Ireland but controls most of Norway. For a while they were part of the insanely huge Finnish empire which held basically all of Scandinavia and the entire north and north-east of the map. I've also had a game where the Umayads converted to Catholicism, formed Hispania and then holy warred the poo poo out of North-Africa.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Deific Presence posted:

Salerno or Benevento are fun. Safe area, lotsa people to gently caress and gently caress up when you want to expand.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Heinrich Salian decided to convert to Orthodoxy. I have no idea how or why, but the dukes have followed the lead seemingly without complaint. After just a single generation, seemingly all of the HRE's nobles are Orthodox. Provinces are slowly flipping.

The Investiture Conflict must have gone really strangely in this timeline. (and a generation early)

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

GSD posted:

Heinrich Salian decided to convert to Orthodoxy. I have no idea how or why, but the dukes have followed the lead seemingly without complaint. After just a single generation, seemingly all of the HRE's nobles are Orthodox. Provinces are slowly flipping.

The Investiture Conflict must have gone really strangely in this timeline. (and a generation early)
Yeah, the religious differences modifier is small enough that flips like that can happen virtually without issue.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Strudel Man posted:

Yeah, the religious differences modifier is small enough that flips like that can happen virtually without issue.

It is really not as interesting as the time I saw the same thing happen, but it was to Monophysite Christrianity. I'm still a little curious on what caused 'ole Henry to make the switch though.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Charlemagne for some reason gained the "Sympathy for Muslims" trait and ended up dying fighting Christians trying to take Umayyad Spain in a game once.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

cock hero flux posted:

I don't think Kinslayer should really be a thing at all, or at least not something that applies literally every time you kill someone related to you.

Like even if your cousin murdered all your children and is currently in jail because he launched a rebellion and tried to put your head on a pike, if you execute him everyone hates you. It's dumb.

It just seems like Kinslayer shouldn't apply if you execute a relative that has kinslayer themselves. Surely that's justification enough.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It just seems like Kinslayer shouldn't apply if you execute a relative that has kinslayer themselves. Surely that's justification enough.

Yeah, as stated if anything it should give you a bonus. Kinavenger.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Charlemagne for some reason gained the "Sympathy for Muslims" trait and ended up dying fighting Christians trying to take Umayyad Spain in a game once.

And what happened then? Well...in Aachen they say
That Charlemagne's heart grew three sizes that day!

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

After The End just updated, California is in now!

Figured I'd try my hand at something a little simpler first:

:911:

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Is Mt. Rushmore one of the holy sites?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Spakstik posted:

Is Mt. Rushmore one of the holy sites?

It is, for several religions! There's also a Sunni/Shia style schism between Americanism and Consumerism, as well as the occasional Atomicist revival.

The thread is here.

E: Christ, I just realized my guy started in Orlando, and his family name is Waltney. I'm amazed 'The Mouse' being his titular title didn't click sooner.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 15, 2015

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I finally downloaded it and booooo no tribal invasions. Two hordes though. Portuguese and "Old World." British and Brazilian. Solid horde invasion choices imo.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 15, 2015

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I want to come back to this game but I haven't really played properly in a while. Did they ever make Muslim Decadence interesting rather than "kill your entire family to avoid taking massive penalties to everything"

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

IMO, it's much easier to handle. You no longer need to land your relatives to avoid decadence, raising them to be good Muslims is enough (though landing them helps).

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Thats nothing. I once happened to glance over at Francia in a charlemagne start game, and he'd converted somehow. No screenshots, but all of modern France and the Benelux were sunni for a couple of generations. It was surreal, but his sons stayed christian and fixed it in the end

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Nuclear War posted:

Thats nothing. I once happened to glance over at Francia in a charlemagne start game, and he'd converted somehow. No screenshots, but all of modern France and the Benelux were sunni for a couple of generations. It was surreal, but his sons stayed christian and fixed it in the end

Is not Charlemagne (Old Gods start) but

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
Any plans to put After The End on the Workshop?

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

pwnyXpress posted:

Any plans to put After The End on the Workshop?

That would be really,really convenient. The way that large mods have been getting on CK2's workshop by breaking them into parts is pretty smart.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
What's weird is that I've seen some huge mods on the EU4 workshop, like 300mb to download. You'd think that CK2 would have the same size limit.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
I'm pretty sure they've said they won't put it on there as long as there's the mb limit.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Sunni Islam isn't doing very well.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
So, does the Shia EVER take anything? I keep seeing Rise of the Shia events but don't see any Shia provinces or kingdoms form.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ceciltron posted:

So, does the Shia EVER take anything? I keep seeing Rise of the Shia events but don't see any Shia provinces or kingdoms form.

It's been more or less impossible for them to gain any traction since they changed the way that event troops are spawned - under the old system they'd have a massive numbers advantage, but now they're more or less even. Which means that since they don't actually control any land and the event only spawns troops once, they never get any reinforcements of any kind, so even a nation that just lost a huge chunk of their army in a big war can still fight off a Rise of the Shia invasion through attrition.

Basically the only way they can get anywhere is if the event happens to fire during a big vassal revolt (because we all know how often those happen to Muslims) or something and they manage to take some territory by just kind of slipping through the cracks. Even then, they'll be so small and totally lacking in allies that it's pretty easy for a Sunni blob to just retake the territory whenever the hell they feel like it.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 16, 2015

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
At least the Lombards kept track of who ran their duchies.

Also, it's going to be fun playing as the King of Italy in my mod. You're a Catholic running a kingdom of Arians. Only one duke is a Catholic with you. I'm expecting shenanigans.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's been more or less impossible for them to gain any traction since they changed the way that event troops are spawned - under the old system they'd have a massive numbers advantage, but now they're more or less even. Which means that since they don't actually control any land and the event only spawns troops once, they never get any reinforcements of any kind, so even a nation that just lost a huge chunk of their army in a big war can still fight off a Rise of the Shia invasion through attrition.

Basically the only way they can get anywhere is if the event happens to fire during a big vassal revolt (because we all know how often those happen to Muslims) or something and they manage to take some territory by just kind of slipping through the cracks. Even then, they'll be so small and totally lacking in allies that it's pretty easy for a Sunni blob to just retake the territory whenever the hell they feel like it.

It's worse. The Shia will always spawn with fewer troops than the people they're fighting. If the kingdom they rebel in has only 500 troops, the Shia will spawn with 470 troops. It pretty much guarantees the Shia will never rise.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I actually had the Shia take all of Syria and half of Mesopotamia some in my Pictland game. They held it for at least 50 years thanks to the Abbasids going through successive decadence revolts, but eventually got swallowed back up.

This is the most successful I've seen the Shia in the pre-1066 start dates for months.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Its been said ad nauseum but there really does need to be a better check on the power of large blobs before you ever see a Shia revolt succeed.

Muslims have the reputation of being too sturdy, although that comes in part since they start out pretty sizable already, but it was similarly galling when I was playing Persia just how resilient the Byzantines were despite repeated disasters. I'd expect after losing their capital, their armies, and three rulers to war, they might suffer a bit of instability, but never once did they have a revolt that had any sort of noticeable impact. It takes such a convoluted series of events to happen for anything to threaten to tear apart a big state, but the process for ensuring near-eternal stability is as easy as watching the AI repeatedly increase crown authority.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Its been said ad nauseum but there really does need to be a better check on the power of large blobs before you ever see a Shia revolt succeed.

Muslims have the reputation of being too sturdy, although that comes in part since they start out pretty sizable already, but it was similarly galling when I was playing Persia just how resilient the Byzantines were despite repeated disasters. I'd expect after losing their capital, their armies, and three rulers to war, they might suffer a bit of instability, but never once did they have a revolt that had any sort of noticeable impact. It takes such a convoluted series of events to happen for anything to threaten to tear apart a big state, but the process for ensuring near-eternal stability is as easy as watching the AI repeatedly increase crown authority.

I have literally only ever seen the Umayyads shrink a single county in size twice in all the playthroughs I've ever done.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
I had a game where Egypt had a successful Monophysite revolt and the Shia had a caliphate in Libya. Then they both got taken over by the Abbasids after about 50 years, who had everything from Morocco to Basra.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The most you get out of the Umayyads these days is just some crazy culture shenanigans (I had an Umayyad Hispania that went from Bedouin to Visigothic to Bedouin to loving Suebi to Andalusian to Castillan and then settled on Andalusian.) Honestly, why don't they just start out as emperors of Hispania?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The last 4 or 5 games I've played, the Umayyad blew up into a billion pieces and was ripe for conquest. The Abassid isn't as bad, but it does break apart, and the Caliph will usually change families. The Muslim world isn't half as bad as the Byzantines at this point. Those fuckers never lose a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Worst I've seen happen to the Byzantines the past few months was them getting reduced to the modern borders of Turkey (bonus North Cyprus). And culture-flipping to Italian somehow.

The center of the map is hosed, basically.

• Locked thread