Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Keyflower is great at two players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

EvilChameleon posted:

How well does Keyflower play as 2 players? Ideally I won't be playing 2p that much but sometimes I just have me and the roommate and if it isn't horrible I could do that sometimes. (I have other 2p games, just wondering if this one is one that is okay with 2 or if I'll hate myself for some reason). I think someone said Farmers expac makes 2p better? I forget what was said about the expacs other than they are definitely not necessary to make the base game great.

The word you were looking for was mancala, but your analogy still doesn't make sense.

I'm pretty sure Merchants is the expansion that improves 2 player. That said, I'll echo the previous poster. It's a great 2 player game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

EvilChameleon posted:

How well does Keyflower play as 2 players? Ideally I won't be playing 2p that much but sometimes I just have me and the roommate and if it isn't horrible I could do that sometimes. (I have other 2p games, just wondering if this one is one that is okay with 2 or if I'll hate myself for some reason). I think someone said Farmers expac makes 2p better? I forget what was said about the expacs other than they are definitely not necessary to make the base game great.

The word you were looking for was mancala, but your analogy still doesn't make sense.

I mostly prefer it 2-players. At that point it's a clean, elegant, and ruthlessly cutthroat game of blocking and bluffing your opponent. It's everything I like about Uwe Rosenberg games without the bloat of most Rosenberg games.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Dre2Dee2 posted:

That's Mage Wars Academy, it's designed to be a quicker, smaller game that's easier to teach. Currently not out yet. Domination has rules for building a custom arena, a capture point win condition, and an Overlord or something so you can do a 1 VS many type of game.

In an effort to make the regular game more distinguishable, all regular Mage Wars stuff is being renamed as Mage Wars: Arena... which of course has only led to more confusion :v:

That being said, Mage Wars loving rules and you should play it. Your very first game is going to be long though, so plan accordingly.

Right, mixing up Academy and Arena.

As for playing it, I have... I started the OP for it here on the forums :v: Just haven't played it in probably over a year now.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

The End posted:

That's nothing. A guy wanted to fight me irl because I posted negatively about Cards Against Humanity on facebook.

EDIT: DoW is a bad game.

In the BGG group? I saw that :ninja:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
You know what today is? New board game day! :dance:
I went down to the local games shop, with the intention of picking something new up. I wanted Twilight Imperium 3 or Archipelago, but they still didn't have any copies, so I had to settle for something else. I've become a lot more picky about the games I get recently. The store had shelves of mediocre deck builders and worker placement games inferior to Agricola, games I would have been tempted by in the past but now not as much.

In the end I settled on Betrayal at House on the Hill. Maybe not the mechanically best game, but unique enough to own anyway. It's the best in it's category (haunted house themed traitor game) and that's good enough for me :v:

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Oh, Rutibex. :allears:

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Rutibex posted:

You know what today is? New board game day! :dance:
I went down to the local games shop, with the intention of picking something new up. I wanted Twilight Imperium 3 or Archipelago, but they still didn't have any copies, so I had to settle for something else. I've become a lot more picky about the games I get recently. The store had shelves of mediocre deck builders and worker placement games inferior to Agricola, games I would have been tempted by in the past but now not as much.

In the end I settled on Betrayal at House on the Hill. Maybe not the mechanically best game, but unique enough to own anyway. It's the best in it's category (haunted house themed traitor game) and that's good enough for me :v:

You forgot to state the $/lb.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I bought like 9 games this week. Get on my level dude.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

The old cover art for Betrayal is a lot better.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Scyther posted:

The old cover art for Betrayal is a lot better.

Poor werewolf has a migraine

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

People behind hi don't look especially troubled.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Well, obviously, since the guy is the Green Lantern.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
One of the most awesomest things about Keyflower is that it scales wonderfully. Just as good with two as it is with any other number.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Scyther posted:

You forgot to state the $/lb.

I didn't because I am slightly embarrassed by it :shobon:
The game is fairly light, and I over paid for it a bit (support your local game shop!)

Bottom Liner posted:

I bought like 9 games this week. Get on my level dude.

I was at that pace at one time, but my collection (and taste) have grown to the point where much fewer games interest me. I plan on hitting up the thrift store tomorrow though, so I may out pace you yet (depending on my luck!)

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
My most recent purchase has been Alchemists, and I'm kind of infatuated with it right now. I just want to play it and nothing else and figure out new ways to solve poo poo. It's neat, and the flavor and theme is super entertaining.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Lorini posted:

One of the most awesomest things about Keyflower is that it scales wonderfully. Just as good with two as it is with any other number.

As long as everyone plays swiftly. I'd say Keyflower is worse than Five Tribes for AP players as a full game means you have a huge range of choices from the market, turn order, your own village, and opponent's villages.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Trasson posted:

*The only way to surprise attack over three systems with anything but pure Cruisers is Flank Speed. There's only so many of those in the deck, and there's every chance it might meet a Sabotage. The possibility of A or B eating a deep penetration strike is there, but it's as close to perfectly safe as you can get. Oh, and that pure Cruiser strike requires Type IV drive, which is a) hilariously late in the tree, and b) half wasted if you're not going to be making Dreadnoughts viable with them, and in that case, why are you planning pure Cruiser strikes?

You could use the Warfare strategy card to give yourself the extra movement to strike 3 systems far.

Which opens up wonderful strategies for the player in the 'worst' spot in 5 and 7 player games. You can snipe a neighbour's homeworld on turn 1 if they're not paying attention.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Rutibex posted:

I didn't because I am slightly embarrassed by it :shobon:
The game is fairly light, and I over paid for it a bit (support your local game shop!)

I was at that pace at one time, but my collection (and taste) have grown to the point where much fewer games interest me. I plan on hitting up the thrift store tomorrow though, so I may out pace you yet (depending on my luck!)

Yeah I just stared buying my own games because I moved and my old group had everything, so I'm rebuilding a library from scratch. Also, what kind of thrift stores do you find board games at?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah I just stared buying my own games because I moved and my old group had everything, so I'm rebuilding a library from scratch. Also, what kind of thrift stores do you find board games at?

Usually church thrift stores. The biggest board gamers I've met are often devout Christians.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

al-azad posted:

As long as everyone plays swiftly. I'd say Keyflower is worse than Five Tribes for AP players as a full game means you have a huge range of choices from the market, turn order, your own village, and opponent's villages.

I don't play with AP people so I haven't experienced that.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Lorini posted:

I played a three player game that somehow lasted 2 hours because one guy had to calculate the potential point value of every single move on every single turn.

Keyflower is a game where the board changes four times in the entirety of play. The only thing you have to worry about is using tiles to generate resources or bidding on tiles to win them. This guy played out every single possible move in his head it was maddening.

Somebody kickstart this thing I will buy a dozen of them.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bottom Liner posted:

Goodwill, Value Village, Salvation Army, various church stores, and flea markets are all great places to find board games. Pawn shops are terrible though. You can't be super picky, you are not going to find BGG top 20 games But, if you like old Avalon Hill or wooden abstract strategy games from the 70's you can find some real gems.

That being said I did find a copy of Ticket to Ride (in near mind condition) at a Goodwill for $5. They can't tell the difference between rare games and a ragged copy of Monopoly at these shops, so you get fantastic deals when you find them.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Lorini posted:

Thank your lucky stars for that. I need to find a new group to play with, but it's a bit difficult given that gamers tend to be somewhat reclusive.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Tekopo posted:

People behind hi don't look especially troubled.

It kind of looks like he's taking a dump and they are just confused

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003
Oh my, in my FLGS. Some guy in here is selling his entirely disinterested friend on what game to buy. So far I have over heard him call Cosmic Encounter "the best game in the world" and Dead of Winter is "a very complex strategy game".

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

unicr0n posted:

Oh my, in my FLGS. Some guy in here is selling his entirely disinterested friend on what game to buy. So far I have over heard him call Cosmic Encounter "the best game in the world" and Dead of Winter is "a very complex strategy game".

You know what to do. :commissar::rolldice:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Dirk the Average posted:

Thank your lucky stars for that. I need to find a new group to play with, but it's a bit difficult given that gamers tend to be somewhat reclusive.

Meetup.com is a good place to start unless you live out in the boonies.

I don't know how y'all stand it, if someone tried to calculate the impact of every possible move in a game I was in, he'd get one warning and then I'd be gone. Life is too short (particularly when you are 57) to waste time with rude people.

IT'S A GAME FOLKS!!! We are playing (at least I'm playing) to be entertained. Watching your rear end calculate and recalculate is NOT entertaining!!! Get with the program.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I don't mind that sort of "wait, this is 3 points.. this is 4... hmm" behavior in the last few turns of a game, but nobody in my group is particularly bad and we all do it from time to time.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Games with points are math exercises; if you aren't calculating you aren't playing.

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003

Echophonic posted:

You know what to do. :commissar::rolldice:

It was worse than I thought. Ended up being a new FLGS staff member I didn't recognize, talking to a customer. He was just bombarding her with these opinions on games and she had this "oh god help me escape" look in her eyes.

I mentioned that having owned DoW there are some issues. Customer took my interruption as her chance to politely escape.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

unicr0n posted:

It was worse than I thought. Ended up being a new FLGS staff member I didn't recognize, talking to a customer. He was just bombarding her with these opinions on games and she had this "oh god help me escape" look in her eyes.

I mentioned that having owned DoW there are some issues. Customer took my interruption as her chance to politely escape.

You're doing the lord's work, unicr0n.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

PerniciousKnid posted:

Games with points are math exercises; if you aren't calculating you aren't playing.

I was referring to the post where a player was trying to calculate the result of every possible move every time in Keyflower, I'm not talking about doing math. But even then we are talking arithmetic here. Unless you are talking 18xx it still shouldn't be that difficult. If so pull out your smartphone.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The worst submarine posted:

Poor werewolf has a migraine

but his hair is perfect

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

StashAugustine posted:

but his hair is perfect

Pack up the thread, we're done here.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

StashAugustine posted:

but his hair is perfect

god drat this thread has been on fire lately

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 05:43 on May 16, 2015

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003

Echophonic posted:

You're doing the lord's work, unicr0n.

I was left quite saddened by the experience honestly. This shop is a small store that does games, puzzles, gifts etc (I'm sure you know the type). The lady that owns it knows me by name now, asks me for advice about games to get now after I recommended she should look out for Love Letter and it ended up being a best seller, and she is super supportive of euro games and runs events outside of the store. The other sales guy Patrick also knows his stuff, sees me walk in and pops over with 'dude, we got X in I think you'll like it' and they just have a really welcoming vibe to the store and their approach.

I'm sure this poor customer came in wanting to know about a game to get and just got swamped in this guys opinion, after showing her DoW and Cosmic Encounter he then moved to Power Grid and Bruxelles and talked about how they were 'gamers games' and you need to be familiar with rules 'I once spent 45 mins just explaining the game to a new player before we even started.'

Not only is this guy doing a poor job at dealing with a customer, but his approach would literally scare you away from even getting close to what is a hobby I'm quite passionate about, that provides so much enjoyment.

I didn't realise he was part of the store until I was speaking with the owner at the counter about how easily they could get games from GMT in, and she called him over to ask if he'd heard of them.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?

StashAugustine posted:

but his hair is perfect

god drat

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I don't get it :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

PerniciousKnid posted:

The problem is you'll get someone who takes longer than everyone else combined to take their turn.

But the thing about most VP based board games is that the board changes so rapidly it becomes pointless trying calculate beyond your next turn. Like take an action drafting game like Terra Mystica. You can plan ahead some moves especially if it deals with scoring points from placing buildings, but unless your current or next action is to use a spell on the board or send a priest to a cult then you may as well pretend that action doesn't exist right now because someone else is likely to take it. But I've seen players who mentally plot out their "perfect turn" then when a wrench is thrown into that plan (as is 100% likely to happen) they'll create a mental thread of "what-ifs" based on all available choices. Each. Turn.

But the worst offenders are people who don't pay attention to the game then when it comes time for their turn they're like "oh poo poo, what changed let me take 10 minutes on this one."