Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Pointed out to me: because ARquiusprite and Gamzee heard all this, and they become a part of Lord English, he automatically knows exactly what their plans are.

I guess it's a good thing that Tavrosprite's important job was left unsaid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

JT Jag posted:

Going through that again reminds me that in the upcoming fight, someone will kill Crowbar and Gamzee will end up with his crowbar. Which is a shame, Crowbar's a cool guy.

Crowbar doesn't have his crowbar currently. He was very insistent about it to Spades. Nothing but sass from this guy.

Much like Die doesn't have his doll, but that's cuz Slick has it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Blackheart posted:

Much like Die doesn't have his doll, but that's cuz Slick has it.

So I'm starting to think that pushing a pin in pushes the user to a universe where that leprechon is dead. Where pulling a pin out summons an instance of them from a universe where they were alive. I think Spades Slick pin however is special like Snowmans in that there is only one timeline for them both, hence the dolls odd performance in their cases.

I want to go back and track the universe jumps throughout the intermission and see if they line up with some of the other instances in the comic.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I was confused about the doll's usage, but a theory that makes sense is that since it changes timelines according to each pin, using them in the furthest ring just revives/dismisses the Felt since all timelines just converge there anyway, so there's nowhere to "jump" to.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

That's a good point, timelines and such are meaningless in the Furthest Ring, where everything from all iterations of reality is occurring in some ramshackle causal nightmare all at once.

If not that, it could also be that Slick shifted to a timeline where everything was exactly the same down to him standing in the same spot, but he never killed the Felt, and as such they were hanging out at Doc Scratch's pad when the Vast Honk went down.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I just want the story to go back to normal commands, the endless sea of "==>'s" when you look at the archives is so weird. Discounting some stuff with Slick and Caliborn the last time we had the human characters with commands was like 2 years ago right before Trickster mode.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Mazerunner posted:

It is the start of a new school year. WAR FOOT enters the classroom. It is a new class in the curriculum, and he must teach it though he does not want to. No one else is able, or willing. He only has himself to blame.

He looks upon the assembled students.

Candy corn horns.

Grey face paint.

Buckets everywhere.

He sighs, and writes something on the board.

HOMESTUCK 101

"Welcome class. I am professor War Foot.

Let me tell you about Homestuck".

Finally, the B.A. in Meme Studies program is gaining a foothold.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Nate RFB posted:

I just want the story to go back to normal commands, the endless sea of "==>'s" when you look at the archives is so weird. Discounting some stuff with Slick and Caliborn the last time we had the human characters with commands was like 2 years ago right before Trickster mode.
The commands are/were coming from the surviving carapacians, and the 4-windowed console where the commands were being given has blown up (as were most of the carapacians). Caliborn has a console, too, but he's walked away from it.

This has been going around Tumblr; I don't own the Homestuck books, so I can't chase down and verify the quote.

Hussie comment from Homestuck Book 3 posted:

In round two of Dave’s strife, he tries to escape from the relentless puppet pummeling, but bro slashes the ABSCOND command, just like he sliced all the other battle commands in round one. The message is clear. Dave can’t escape until he has been dealt the requisite daily helping of domestic abuse, wait I mean ninja training. What did I say there? Nothing. It was nothing. Homestuck is a lighthearted and funny cartoon dealing in highly abstract and stylized household situations, and nothing about it shall evoke the gritty realities experienced every day by real life victims of abuse. Now let’s watch this 30-something year old man pound the daylights out of his adopted 13 year old brother and biological son.

Which makes the author's POV clear.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Which makes the author's POV clear.

This is why I don't completely dismiss crazy theories: because once in a while, it turns out that what was supposed to be some sort of videogame joke is actually a visual representation of abuse.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
It would be cool if Slick was actually responsible for capping Lord English. Full-on pimp mode English, not Caliborn, we've seen how that happens, Arquius, Jake and Dirk are the main factors there.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Well in the grand and sacred tradition of "dibs", I believe Slick has first rights on English. So I could see him getting the kill, yeah.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
If only to prove Vriska hilariously wrong for discounting him so much, really

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

WAR FOOT posted:

So.

I earn my living as a senior school teacher. At yesterday's performance of the school play, one of my students was wearing a Strider shirt. I called them "______ Strider" in passing conversation today, and I have never made a worse mistake in my life.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I can't blame her for discounting him, really. He's dangerous sure, but really only on an individual level. When your other threats are, 1) an immortal god-empress, 2)a semi-omnipotent dog-demon, and 3) whatever the gently caress is going on with Jack English, the guy who is just really really good at stabbing people is going to probably get de-emphasized a bit.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

paranoid randroid posted:

I can't blame her for discounting him, really. He's dangerous sure, but really only on an individual level. When your other threats are, 1) an immortal god-empress, 2)a semi-omnipotent dog-demon, and 3) whatever the gently caress is going on with Jack English, the guy who is just really really good at stabbing people is going to probably get de-emphasized a bit.

He has the entire felt gang with him. Remember? They're in the oven he's carrying.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Slick's capabilities are more meta in danger than anything else; he's a fan and author (at least, self-insert author) favorite and whatever shenanigans he'll be up to are all but certain to be relevant in some inexplicable/unexpected way just for the hilarity it would cause. Endgame-wise I bet he'll be set up to take over Derse since it's already been fedora-ized.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

He has the entire felt gang with him. Remember? They're in the oven he's carrying.

Still not on the same threat level as the guy who sneezes electric neon annihilation. Except for Cans, even the Felt who aren't useless are basically just guys with guns who move in weird ways. I maybe wouldn't put Jake on Slick detail - he's more... uncommitable reserves material if you feel me - but its not like you need John over there to keep an eye on them.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
The problem is that Vriska is seeing all their enemies as 'end game bosses' who just need to be whaled on until they run out of hit points, because SBurb is a game and that's how it works, when actually (as far as I understand it) pretty much none of them are actual parts of the game as it was intended to be played and so that approach just isn't going to work like it might of in a normal session.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zoe posted:

The problem is that Vriska is seeing all their enemies as 'end game bosses' who just need to be whaled on until they run out of hit points, because SBurb is a game and that's how it works, when actually (as far as I understand it) pretty much none of them are actual parts of the game as it was intended to be played and so that approach just isn't going to work like it might of in a normal session.

Especially the Empress.

The Jacks and PM at least started as game elements and the two Dogs specifically are rooted in game only mechanics- Jack English's powers might or might not be rooted in the game, who knows. Spades however has completely UN-Game related upgrades and poo poo.

The Empress, on the flip side, is an entirely outside entity that forced her way in and is wrecking shop.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Still don't think negotiating with HIC is an option. Even if they do reach an agreement, the situation is still so tenuous that all it would take is Jade waking up at the wrong moment and suddenly everyone's scattered all over the loving place and Condy has her monster giuseppi heel (its the monster shoe) on their necks again.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

So, it turned out that the horse-with-a-rose was meaningless. My overanalysis, it has failed!

I'm really worried about Dave at this point; he seems to have had the wind completely knocked out of him* as far as fighting evil goes. This cannot be good.

* no Dirk jokes, thanks.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The commands are/were coming from the surviving carapacians, and the 4-windowed console where the commands were being given has blown up (as were most of the carapacians). Caliborn has a console, too, but he's walked away from it.

The other thing to keep in mind is that, apart from plot stuff, the lack of commands seems strongly intentional from a thematic point of view. Since Hussie died and Caliborn took over the story with Homosuck, the "real" characters have been lost and aimless. Not only do they not have Carapacians telling them what to do, they're ostensibly not even the main point of the narrative anymore.

I said this before, but this is why John's retcon adventure with Terezi was interesting -- we've yet to see if it pays off in accordance with my read on it, but I think for the first time rather than being subject to impersonalized weird plot machinery, we had characters deciding where their story needed to go and taking actions to move it that way. (If you really wanna stretch it, consider Terezi's scarf of written commands as an in-comic representation of the sidebar update list, allowing John to pop to certain pages/narrative points.)

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

GeneX posted:

Forget Johnsprite, this has to happen

Though I don't think you can prototype a ghost
Ummmm...
<----------------

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Plom Bar posted:

You are the third school teacher I am aware of that has done something like this. At least you didn't do this:

what the gently caress

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

paranoid randroid posted:

Still don't think negotiating with HIC is an option. Even if they do reach an agreement, the situation is still so tenuous that all it would take is Jade waking up at the wrong moment and suddenly everyone's scattered all over the loving place and Condy has her monster giuseppi heel (its the monster shoe) on their necks again.

Oh c'mon. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbsCww_yofU

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I for onw wonder how Jaspersprite's mission of "eat tuna and snuggle up next to Rose and Roxy" will dramatically save/destroy The Plan.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
well it oughta distract gcat at least

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Zoe posted:

She did explicitly state that she's planning for the worst case scenario. She doesn't know that Slick is hostile and says so directly, but that they should plan under the assumption that he will be.

Also Vriska really didn't go into detailed battle strategies, she's leaving that up to the individual teams to hash out amongst themselves. They will have more defined tactics come the fight, I assume. TBH all she did was give everyone the information on the various factors at play that she'd gathered beforehand, offer suggestions about them, let everyone pick their teams (except Jake who got put on default Slick duty and Kanaya and Karkat) and then peace out.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I for onw wonder how Jaspersprite's mission of "eat tuna and snuggle up next to Rose and Roxy" will dramatically save/destroy The Plan.

I'd bet he's going to open to fridge looking for tuna and let Gamzee out. God I loving hope not though, screw Gamzee.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
There's pretty much no chance Gamzee isn't coming out of the fridge.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Pretty sure Arquius will let Gamzee out of the fridge.

KoB
May 1, 2009

paradoxGentleman posted:

This is why I don't completely dismiss crazy theories: because once in a while, it turns out that what was supposed to be some sort of videogame joke is actually a visual representation of abuse.

Kids and fun.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Bell_ posted:

Ummmm...
<----------------

Yes, yes, but I mean the entity in the dream bubbles, not a literal loving ghost

unless that's what happened with aradia, because I can't remember that far back and there;s no way I'm about to go check

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Dave and Bro's battle is a joke much like John's "battle" with his dad or Rose's empty suicide threats or Jade shooting her omnipotent dog for fun.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Blackheart posted:

Dave and Bro's battle is a joke much like John's "battle" with his dad or Rose's empty suicide threats or Jade shooting her omnipotent dog for fun.

OTOH none of the other kids guardians ever pitched them down a flight of stairs.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Dave was completely unharmed afterwards. When this comic shows someone being abused for realz it doesn't pull its punches.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Blackheart posted:

Hussie posted:

Homestuck is a lighthearted and funny cartoon dealing in highly abstract and stylized household situations, and nothing about it shall evoke the gritty realities experienced every day by real life victims of abuse.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

So, even the author's comment (I'm gonna assume it's real) jokes about it. It's just an fighting anime relationship and yeah there might be some subtle commentary in it but it's still played for laughs in the end because otherwise it'd be out of place in this kind of story.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
One could say it's meant to be read as merely pretty hosed up rather than really really hosed up, as the other examples of abuse have been portrayed. As such, Dirk should be read as a pretty hosed up guy, rather than someone on par with Act 5 Vriska or Act 6 Gamzee.

e. "monstrous" was too strong a word for a comic where mobster pastiches harass a guy over the internet for not kissing a girl

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Oh definitely, nobody is saying Bro wasn't completely hosed up, he was just still the funny kind of hosed up, unlike [insert least favorite character here]

edit: actually I'm gonna say that every hosed up character is the funny kind of hosed up in this story. Even Cronus in all his loathsome glory.

Blackheart fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Blackheart posted:

Oh definitely, nobody is saying Bro wasn't completely hosed up, he was just still the funny kind of hosed up, unlike [insert least favorite character here]

edit: actually I'm gonna say that every hosed up character is the funny kind of hosed up in this story. Even Cronus in all his loathsome glory.

I dunno, the Gamzee/Terezi relationship was hosed up in a not-at-all-funny way. It actually felt like a pretty good display of a real abusive relationship (which is why "Bro was abusive" strikes me as so laughable. Hussie did not pull punches with the "He treats me like poo poo and beats me and belittles me and I can't keep myself away" style of abusive relationships).

I took Bro vs Dave to be basically having an older brother. He's "play-fighting". Not trying to actively hurt or kill his little brother. This is just a crazy video game world where kids can wield swords like goddamn anime masters or whatever.