Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
al-azad
May 28, 2009

You're probably confusing it for a combination of different scenes, particularly the final battle which takes place in a hazy room where your massive head is floating through a void and you're battling against a smoky, floating face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Some pause music just popped into my head, and I have no idea what it's from. It's not super old, and the best way I can describe it is a 'brawler march'.

The only thing I can offer it that the last bar before it loops, for anyone musical reading this, is, in 4/4 time (and played with quarter notes), snare, kick, kick, snare. Around 140 bpm or so.

It's not Battletoads (edit: or Crazy Taxi) btw.

It's not exactly how you describe it, but Scott Pilgrim vs The World had pause music that was just a basic repeating drum track.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Some pause music just popped into my head, and I have no idea what it's from. It's not super old, and the best way I can describe it is a 'brawler march'.

The only thing I can offer it that the last bar before it loops, for anyone musical reading this, is, in 4/4 time (and played with quarter notes), snare, kick, kick, snare. Around 140 bpm or so.

It's not Battletoads (edit: or Crazy Taxi) btw.

Super Mario Brothers 2 does this.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Truman Sticks posted:

It's not exactly how you describe it, but Scott Pilgrim vs The World had pause music that was just a basic repeating drum track.

Thank you!!! This is it! :toot:

Also, all Super Mario Bros 2 did, while neat, is turn off all of the audio channels other than the triangle and noise waves.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
This one is probably impossible. I played it about 15 years ago. It was an in browser game that was all text based but I think it used check boxes and stuff too. I just remember you start by making character and you had a really really long list of skill to choose from. With stuff like hypnotism and levitation. The opening scene you are overhearing two guys talking about how some magic thing will effect the spice trade. I never really figured out how t get anywhere in it.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

There's a 2D space MMO I can't remember the name of; it was like a cross between Asteroids and EVE. The only thing I remember about it is parking my ship on some planet's surface covered with other ships and then logging out forever.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I played some team-based military FPS years and years ago. I only played the single-player, the campaign was a series of objective-based missions, your usual stuff like hostage rescue, protecting a VIP. I remember the boss in the second level was a drug lord called Jesus, there was a really loving hard map set in a snowy military base, and the last map was a weirdly anticlimactic thing about rescuing a VIP in an underground subway station or something. I'm 99% sure it wasn't one of the well-known (or good) games like Rainbow 6 but I cannot for the life of me remember what it was called. Help!!!

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

EightDeer posted:

There's a 2D space MMO I can't remember the name of; it was like a cross between Asteroids and EVE. The only thing I remember about it is parking my ship on some planet's surface covered with other ships and then logging out forever.

Was it subspace-continuum?

http://www.subspace-continuum.com/screenshots.php

Those screenshots might not be good enough, but that is the only 2D space MMO I can think of, and it was one that I think had a goon thread at one point.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

ToastyPotato posted:

Was it subspace-continuum?

http://www.subspace-continuum.com/screenshots.php

Those screenshots might not be good enough, but that is the only 2D space MMO I can think of, and it was one that I think had a goon thread at one point.

No, that's not it. The one I'm thinking of was always in top-down, without any isometric and side-on bits like a couple of those screenshots have. Thanks though.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I played some team-based military FPS years and years ago. I only played the single-player, the campaign was a series of objective-based missions, your usual stuff like hostage rescue, protecting a VIP. I remember the boss in the second level was a drug lord called Jesus, there was a really loving hard map set in a snowy military base, and the last map was a weirdly anticlimactic thing about rescuing a VIP in an underground subway station or something. I'm 99% sure it wasn't one of the well-known (or good) games like Rainbow 6 but I cannot for the life of me remember what it was called. Help!!!

A bit of googling revealed that Call of Juarez: The Cartel has a drug lord named Jesus in it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

A bit of googling revealed that Call of Juarez: The Cartel has a drug lord named Jesus in it.
Definitely not that, this was in 2004 or so.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Are you sure its not one of the SOCOM games?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

blackguy32 posted:

Are you sure its not one of the SOCOM games?
Sorry, PC :downs:

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
One of the Delta Force games? Xtreme was around then.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Counter Strike: Condition Zero Deleted Scenes maybe?

Googling doesn't say anything about a drug lord named Jesus, but apparently there's a painting of Jesus and a drug lord named Moses?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This was something recent so 2014-15 at the latest. I only saw a trailer but it looked like a sprite platforming game. The gist of what I remember is that you're a scrawny guy who wants to be a hero but you're too weak to even defeat a rabbit right now. And then I think it ended with your character hulked out and huge fighting something.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
I'm trying to remember the name of a game I played in arcades in the 90's. It was an autoscrolling FPS (think Time Crisis) for three players. The cabinet had a Red, Green and Blue gun and I want to say six levels altogether where you blasted through waves of monsters and skeletons and stuff. At the end of a level you'd get a red, green or blue eye that fit inside a golden skull, and once you got two eyes the game would end and you'd be given an ending sequence based on which two eyes you got.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Zaphod42 posted:

Counter Strike: Condition Zero Deleted Scenes maybe?

Googling doesn't say anything about a drug lord named Jesus, but apparently there's a painting of Jesus and a drug lord named Moses?

The last level in Deleted Scenes takes place in a giant skyscraper.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Was it Soldier of Fortune 2: Double Helix? That one has a drug dealer's mansion, a snow level and, a million tunnels I'm pretty sure, a subway level in it.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 16, 2015

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Alris posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a game I played in arcades in the 90's. It was an autoscrolling FPS (think Time Crisis) for three players. The cabinet had a Red, Green and Blue gun and I want to say six levels altogether where you blasted through waves of monsters and skeletons and stuff. At the end of a level you'd get a red, green or blue eye that fit inside a golden skull, and once you got two eyes the game would end and you'd be given an ending sequence based on which two eyes you got.

Sounds like Zombie Raid.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
That's not it, but it inspired me to do some digging and I'm 99% sure it's Crypt Killer, I even remember getting the goofy behind the scenes ending.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Looking to find the name of a game I used to play frequently around 2002-2003, when it was very popular. From what I can remember, it looked very similar to Geometry Wars. There was that over-the-top view of "spaceships" that we could control. It had a very popular multiplayer, I remember playing on LAN with my friends at school, and had game types such as Capture-the-Flag (your team of ships would have to capture a flag and return it to a "safe zone") and Soccer (basically you ran into a "ball" and bump it into the enemy's safe zone). Any ideas?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Subspace?

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

Yes that was it! Thanks!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Can somebody tell me what this game is?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYWDLOFHzSk

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Back when I was a kid, around 2000 or so, I used to play games from a CD that had a large amount of games on it, many of them shareware. It was aimed at kids, and when you put it in it brought up a selection menu with games divided up into "Games for Boys/ Girls/ Advanced" etc.

One of the games ("for girls") was a sort of multiplayer card game about gardening. There were four players, each had a garden in one corner of the screen. Each player also had a hand of cards and took turns playing them. Some of the cards were just different types of flowers, you could choose where to plant these in your garden, which was divided into a grid of squares. This was important, because at least one of the win conditions involved planting several of the same flowers in a line or a group, adjacent to each other.

The other cards were used mostly to gently caress up your opponents or to prevent being hosed with. Some particular ones I remember were a green glove card which would just straight up yank a plant from your opponent, various insects which would destroy or steal flowers, and some sort of scented candle thing that would scare insects away. I think there were also venus flytraps.

Also the cd was in a yellow plastic cd wallet that came with a bunch of other kids games like Putt Putt and Lenny's Music Tunes but I don't know if that was the original packaging.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Green Thumbs Cards maybe? It is a little older than what you're looking for, though.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
That's the one, thanks! I think it was just an old rear end disc. I forgot you could pimp out your garden with sprinklers and a picket fence. I think this may be the subconscious cause of me rushing Great Wall Of China in every Civ game

Nathyrra
Oct 22, 2008

Unwisely, Santa offered a teddy bear to James, unaware that he had been mauled by a grizzly earlier that year.
There's a game that came out within the last few years that I can't remember the name of. It's similar-ish to a 4x game in that you have a tiled overworld and take turns. Your characters are animals (mice, bears etc.) and you can duel other characters to gain money or renown (I think). After a few in game years the big bad comes along and you need to be ready.

Forums darling TotalBiscuit did a video review, but I trawled through as many of his videos as I could without finding it. If anyone could tell me what it is it would be appreciated!

Chris Christie
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
System: Sega Genesis
Type: Side scroller
Weapon: Sword

I was SURE the game was Strider, but I watched some youtube videos and it's not what I'm remembering. Too arcadey, and I don't even recognize the second level.

My memories are of the game being a little less arcadey and having some exploration element to it, like maybe finding some secret path by destroying something. I don't want to go so far as comparing it to a Metroid game, but I remember going back and forth, not just constantly moving to the right I also remember it being somewhat sci-fi like or futuristic. Like an early level your in some sort of base or something. Also your weapon was a sword of some sort.

I may just have brain damage though and this is a wild goose chase for a game that doesn't exist.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Nathyrra posted:

There's a game that came out within the last few years that I can't remember the name of. It's similar-ish to a 4x game in that you have a tiled overworld and take turns. Your characters are animals (mice, bears etc.) and you can duel other characters to gain money or renown (I think). After a few in game years the big bad comes along and you need to be ready.

Forums darling TotalBiscuit did a video review, but I trawled through as many of his videos as I could without finding it. If anyone could tell me what it is it would be appreciated!

Armello?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Chris Christie posted:

I was SURE the game was Strider, but I watched some youtube videos and it's not what I'm remembering. Too arcadey, and I don't even recognize the second level.

My memories are of the game being a little less arcadey and having some exploration element to it, like maybe finding some secret path by destroying something. I don't want to go so far as comparing it to a Metroid game, but I remember going back and forth, not just constantly moving to the right I also remember it being somewhat sci-fi like or futuristic. Like an early level your in some sort of base or something. Also your weapon was a sword of some sort.

I may just have brain damage though and this is a wild goose chase for a game that doesn't exist.

One of the Valis games?

Nathyrra
Oct 22, 2008

Unwisely, Santa offered a teddy bear to James, unaware that he had been mauled by a grizzly earlier that year.

Correct! I may have been off on a few details, but that's definitely the game I was thinking of, thanks!

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Chris Christie posted:

I guess it could be Strider Returns, if you're into that kind of thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YmNmKhjIy0

al-azad
May 28, 2009

And maybe you're misremembering the platform because it could also be Run Saber on SNES.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

CharlesM posted:

Can somebody tell me what this game is?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYWDLOFHzSk

That's Shadows of Cairn. It's a pretty terrible game, basically a long series of repetitive platforming challenges. Or at least that's as far as I ever got.

Crosswell
Jun 7, 2007
Lying in a Bombay alley

Pneub posted:

I guess it could be Strider Returns, if you're into that kind of thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YmNmKhjIy0

He's probably thinking of Strider for the NES, which had more freedom of movement and a leveling system and was less arcadey than the genesis and arcade versions.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Dilb posted:

That's Shadows of Cairn. It's a pretty terrible game, basically a long series of repetitive platforming challenges. Or at least that's as far as I ever got.

Thank you. The music sounded kind of neat.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
There was an old FPS on the PC, I want to say it was sprite-based like your Wolfensteins or Blake Stones, that was set in a mansion (I think) and was spooky horror themed?

I'm remembering a song from what I think was the first level, and it was cool and pipe-organ-y. I would like to hear this again!

Any ideas?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

ALFbrot posted:

There was an old FPS on the PC, I want to say it was sprite-based like your Wolfensteins or Blake Stones, that was set in a mansion (I think) and was spooky horror themed?

I'm remembering a song from what I think was the first level, and it was cool and pipe-organ-y. I would like to hear this again!

Any ideas?

Nitemare 3D?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Yesss, thank you!

edit: ahaha all the Frankenstein voice acting is incredible

• Locked thread