Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

So, Cornelia's been stuck in prison for about a month now. The game ends in December, so...we should probably start a mission to take back the capital I guess?

Have you heard? Lanseal restored communication with Army headquarters. The counteroffensive at Randgriz has begun. The Army's fighting back.
It's the final showdown. Hopefully this means the war is almost over.
Yeah, totally.

Hm? What's wrong, Avon? You seem down.
Huh? Oh, sorry.
Greetings, class. Ah, good, you're all here.
Has something happened, Professor?
Orders have just come in from headquarters. Operation Alabaster Gale, the Army's move to retake the capital, succeeded.

what

The Army's won a decisive advantage, and victory is now a matter of time.
That's awesome!

That's bullshit! Arguably the biggest possible battle left in the game was done off-screen?!

It's a bit early for celebration, yet. I'll get straight to the point.

The bulk of their forces under Audrey Gassenarl have already pulled back. Word is, they've hunkered down in the harbor city of Anthold.
*Thinking to himself* Was that Leon's... Is he there with them?
We've been given word that all squads are to strike Anthold immediately. We need to take the port before the remainder of their force arrives. Gather in the briefing room as soon as you're prepared to sortie. *leaves*
Um...
Snap out of it, Avan. We need to get ready.
Ngah?! Y-You don't have to drag me by the arm!

You really think you can bring him back when you're this spaced out?
I don't... I don't know. And what about you? After what he did to Juliana...

Why the hell is Avan worried now when for two months he's been gung-ho "GONNA TAKE MA BROTHER BACK, BIATCHES"

I have no intention of forgiving him. But I'm willing to give you first crack at him. Though given your state, I'll be sitting on the sidelines until I'm gray.
Hey!
Hmph. I'm not dying out there because your brain up and walked off. *leaves*
Hee hee! That's just his way of saying he's worried about you, Avan.
Sheesh, could've fooled me.

So we just completely skipped taking back the city and saving Cordelia for...a dumb generic Darcsen protection mission with the dumb bomb thing.

Well done, Valkyria Chronicles 2. Well done.

:mad:

Lanseal Academy Destroyed!-Newspaper

Local sources report that Lanseal Academy was attacked by rebels just before their assault on Randgriz in August, destroying the facilities there. It is thought the rebels were able to march unimpeded on the capital due to the loss of Lanseal.

Rebels apparently used airships to deploy special forces in the Lanseal attack. Academy cadets put up a strong defense, but took heavy losses in the fighting. The rebels did not occupy the school, and the strategic objective of the attack is not known.[/i]

You JUST got the news about Lanseal? Really?

Alabaster Gale Launched-Newspaper

On the 7th, Gallian forces in the North announced they were putting Operation Alabaster Gale into effect to retake Randgriz, restoring the peace their predecessors fought for two years ago and rebuilding a country free from discrimination.

So according to this, we're already in the middle of the month unless that operation took like a day. How the gently caress did the army beat a million V2's? Would've been nice if we could've seen that!

Bread Sale at the Store_Lotte Insider

There was a bread sale at the store on the 2nd. With prices up to 60% lower than usual, bread was literally flying off the shelves. Welkin Gunther saysm "We had the sale in the hope of cheering up those left at the academy. I even baked some myself."

"That one there I modeled on the dreadnautilus. This part here is its..." (edited for length) The heartwarming actions of the Gunthers despite the food shortages seemed to inspire students. But that bread looked too buggy for my liking.

Cordelia's Confession-Encyclopedia

After the 1935 war, Cordelia of House Randgriz, previously thought to be of Valkyrur lineage, announced she was a Darcsen. The hero Randgriz had hidden his ancestry after switching sides in the War of the Valkyrur and being made the ruler of Gallia.

This shocked the citizens of Gallia, but the princess's sincere desire to rid Gallia of discrimination earned her strong support, and she was later made Archduchess. Many nobles and others who are anti-Darcsen are dissatisfied with this situation.

Are we seriously just NOW getting this info?

Lion's Paw-Encyclopedia

A perennial plant found across Gallia with small, white, star-shaped blooms and seed tufts often carried off by the wind like tiny snowflakes. Its leaves spread close to the ground, with stalks bearing the flowers at their center. A very hardy plant.

It became famous as the flower that war hero Welkin Gunther proposed with. The singer Rosie, who served with Welkin in the war, has also released a song with a Lion's Paw theme. Lion's Paw is said to symbolize an unbending spirit.

Doerfein Mining Quarter-Encyclopedia

A series of mines spread throughout the Doerfein Mountains southeast of Yuell. As one of the richest ragnite mining regions in Gallia, the area has been mined extensively. Production is still high, with many workers engaged in the excavation.

Darcsens were once forced to work there in poor conditions, but this has improved, particularly since Cordelia was made Archduchess. Many Darcsens still work there, however. Since the rebellion, it became a base of Darcsen resistance against rebels.

Wow, you mean that meter that fills to max almost always on the 1st turn that involves more things killed with less CP? I can just do that now???

What is left of Yuell to attack? Now they're just being dicks.

Wow, after 11 months, Engineer sub-class have the supposed best ability in giving extra shots to any class. You know, if you have literally no other tier 3 like Elite Sniper and Mauler. Which means you're using Engineers a lot. Somehow.

Sofia Quest 2

Oops, butterfingers! I dropped my eraser. Would you be a doll and get it?
It's yours? Sure. Here, I... uhh...
Tee hee. Yeees?
Sofia, I... I can see your underwear. I can't NOT see them.

I'm glad the developers made sure Avan got at least two classmate quests which involves his head under a girl's skirt.

Oh wait, I'm lying.

What? Hey!
Don't you think your skirt's a little too short?
Who asked you? Just leave me alone! *runs away*
Whoa, hey! What about your eraser?

*Later that day*

What's wrong?! Are you okay, Sofia?
M-My chest... It hurts. Avan, would you massage it for me?
Chest pains?! That sounds serious. Hold on one sec!

*A quick minute passes*

What?!
I-ls something wrong?
Sofia's hurting here. You're an engineer. Can you take a look?
O-Of course!
I'll go get Brixy. Hang tight just a bit more, Sofia! *runs off*

Well uh...I guess he could've done worse on his engineer choice.

Wh-Where does it hurt? Is it getting worse?
...Wow, it's a miracle! I'm cured! *leaves*
...Huh?

*Later that day*

Is he taken? Or is he just different than the other boys? ...No way. They're all the same. Every last one of them...

Sofia Quest 3

*Bumps into a guy*

Oof! Sorry, man.
Nh? Hey, you're that guy.
This is the Class G chair.
I hear Sofia's been all over you lately.
Sofia? She has?
Take my advice and steer clear. I've never seen a woman that awful before.
Awful?! What's that supp--

*Both students leave*

Hey, wait! ...Hm. What was that all about?

*Later that day*

*At a distance*

Hey, here she comes! Alone like always, huh? Guess so, considering you don't have any friends!
Excuse me?
We got a new transfer student the other day. From your old school. He had some reeeal fun stories about you. We were all cracking up.
...Don't.
You strut around like you own the place now, but you used to be class loser!
Stop it!
Wait, Sofia! ...Rrgh! You feel big now, guys? Real mature!

So...the guys are just randomly attacking her. With goddamn tanks and everything. Granted, classmate missions scale based on the class but still. This mission is an rear end in a top hat though, because I have to keep Sofia alive and she can't go on standby.

Aaand we're just gonna brush off that massacre like it never happened.

Heh heh... I suppose you've been laughing at me this whole time, too?
Just talk to me. It might make you feel better.
Well, there was a boy. That I liked. I'd never been on a date in my life. I was too scared to ask him out.
One day, he came up to me out of the blue and asked me out. I was so happy, I didn't get any sleep at all the night before.
Then the day came, and I waited for him to show up... But he never did.
What happened?
The next day, I got to school and everyone was laughing at me. They knew I liked him, so they decided it would be a really funny joke.
Oh man...

Oh wait, you're still concious.

Yes! You're no different than they were, are you? Happy to hurt others, just so long as you get what you want. So I figured I'd give you a taste of the same treatment I got. It's not my fault you're dumb enough to bite at the first hint of interest. You had no idea I was laughing my head off the whole time you--

Oh snap

That's enough, Sofia!
H-Hey! What's your--
It was awful what those people did to you, I'll grant you that. But has hurting these guys really made you feel any better?
Um...
Why not forget the past? You don't have to beg for attention like this. Someday, a guy is gonna fall hard for you.
I mean, look at you. You're gorgeous!

I'm still absolutely amazed VC2 didn't have a harem system.

Ooh, class is over. Let's get back and eat already! Come on, Sofia! *leaves*
Avan...

Her new Potential is literally called Avan Lover, which increases accuracy when Avan's near. Which is goddamn useless because Engineers can't fight.

So going down the list, Avan is in accidental cahoots with: Rene, Mischlitt, Cosette, Sofia, Chloe? Oi.

Sofia art pages

FRANCA BREAST JOKES HAHAHAHA :suicide:

quote:

Sofia came about because we wanted to include a seductress character, and we also wanted someone who was at the opposite side at the spectrum from cute and wholesome characters like Cosette and Marion. We designed Sofia to be a more directly erotic presence. The beauty mark at the corner of her mouth is the very symbol of a sexy woman. I actually recall having a heated debate about where exactly we would place her beauty mark. (laughs) With these ideas as a starting point, we tossed around different ideas of how to create a good drama around a girl who went around seducing every guy in sight. We eventually ended up at the key word "revenge". We also wanted at least one character to seriously fall in love with Avan, so Sofia was also given that role. (Sega - Ozawa)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It should not be a surprise that the recapture of the capitol took place off screen. Its fall did, too!

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Does Engineer hot n' sexy up there have any relevance to game play or the story other then TITS TITS BOOBS JUGS!?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Klaus88 posted:

Does Engineer hot n' sexy up there have any relevance to game play or the story other then TITS TITS BOOBS JUGS!?
Nope. She's just another Engineer.

VC2 is not a well balanced or thought-out game.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I find it kind of weird that they keep calling them Engineers when they're clearly Medics. Like, in both cutscenes and gameplay the only thing they're good for is healing, so why call them engineers? It's weird.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Clarste posted:

I find it kind of weird that they keep calling them Engineers when they're clearly Medics. Like, in both cutscenes and gameplay the only thing they're good for is healing, so why call them engineers? It's weird.

Because apparently they can also heal vehicles?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

SSNeoman posted:

He's a crotchety old dude who basically publicly complains about everything (he at one point compared smartphones to masturbation IIRC)

That's not really fair, he had these opinions when he was young dude too. He was complaining about fanservice and female characters that exist to pander to the audience since the 90s.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

So the rebels are about to lose the war because Baldren cant control his genocide boner right?

Its not every day you find someone losing A war because he was such an obsessed loon he forgot he was in one.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Ikasuhito posted:

So the rebels are about to lose the war because Baldren cant control his genocide boner right?

Its not every day you find someone losing A war because he was such an obsessed loon he forgot he was in one.
Hitler would prioritize death camp trains over trains delivering supplies to the Wehrmacht, IIRC.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

We don't know specifically WHY the rebels suddenly lost the capital despite having the only aircraft in the country and tons of V2's that annihilate armies and tanks by themselves. Or how Cordelia is still alive, despite their rage boner against Darcsen/Sinners of Yggdrism, or how we know they're going to the port.

It certainly wasn't in any skit that I glossed over, and the newspaper about the Operation to save the capital is literally un-viewable until you're told the operation already happened and succeeded.

It's like they just straight up gave up and Xenogears disk 2 the last few months of the game.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I don't think they did a battle for Randgriz because that already happened in the first game. And probably it got cut or something.

The game takes place in the south besides, so it kinda makes sense for Lanseal to deal with the backfield, make a ruckus and let the rest of the ACTUAL ARMY beat back the rebels before punching them in the dick in their castle or something.

That said, this is around where I stopped playing. :shrug: Tae isn't showing it off, but the remaining key missions get pretty loving hellish and annoying.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Tae posted:

We don't know specifically WHY the rebels suddenly lost the capital despite having the only aircraft in the country and tons of V2's that annihilate armies and tanks by themselves.

One could speculate that the previous month's op to cut their supply routes helped (can't use V2s w/o fueling up the trucks), but yeah, the timing here is wonky.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Tae posted:

We don't know specifically WHY the rebels suddenly lost the capital despite having the only aircraft in the country and tons of V2's that annihilate armies and tanks by themselves.
Not enough combat data, duh.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
I always assumed that the fall/recovery of the capital would be covered in VC3 somehow. Did that ever happen?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hopeford posted:

I always assumed that the fall/recovery of the capital would be covered in VC3 somehow. Did that ever happen?

VC3 is a gaiden of VC1. This game is the farthest of the trilogy (although technically the ending of VC1 is the farthest).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Clarste posted:

Its because Medics already exist in-world as a non-playable class. You get a short little cutscene of them running to rescue whichever fallen squadmate one of your guys just touched and declared "safe" on.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Its because Medics already exist in-world as a non-playable class. You get a short little cutscene of them running to rescue whichever fallen squadmate one of your guys just touched and declared "safe" on.
Only in the first game. Of course, in the first game, that little scene played every goddamn time you rescued someone, so I can't say I miss it.

In VC2, Medic is actually one of the Engineer's tier 3 classes, but pfff t3 engineers.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

theshim posted:

Only in the first game. Of course, in the first game, that little scene played every goddamn time you rescued someone, so I can't say I miss it.

In VC2, Medic is actually one of the Engineer's tier 3 classes, but pfff t3 engineers.

Uh, excuse me, Engineers are a critical component of any Gallian squadron. Did Vicky's sidequest teach you nothing?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Heinz Quest

I'm wiped! Hmm, did I have anything to drink in here?

Either Avan doesn't lock his door, or he has very bad luck with stalkers.

Waaaaagh!
Is something wrong, sir?
What?! YES! What are you doing in my room, man?
I suspected you might be tired after today's drills and prepared tea for you.
Okay, but did you have to ambush me with it?
A good butler must always keep two steps ahead, sir. Action, not reaction!
...Are we butlers?

Oookay. And that leads to you being in my room how, again?
Ah, of course. How silly of me. I forgot to explain myself, didn't I? I came here with a favor to ask of you, sir.
What favor?
Yes, right... Ahem. Master Hardins.

The pan what, now?
It is a contest steeped in history, to decide the continent's top butler. For a variety of reasons, I must attend this year. However... Some events require a pair of contestants, so I've been seeking a partner.
Yeah, but why me?
Not to brag, but my bad manners are pretty dang impressive, Heinz.
Manners are but habits, sir. Easily mended with a bit of practice.
Far rarer is the ability to take action. To make decisions on the fly.
And that helps you be a butler?
Absolutely. Butlers are required to react to an ever-changing environment. Your ability to adapt is a rare example of the job's most critical requisite.
Hmmmm... If you say so.

If it's that big a deal to you, I guess I could help you out.
You could? Oh, thank you!
In that case, I must get to work preparing! ...By your leave, sir! *leaves*
Why do I get the feeling I just got myself in over my head?

Part 2

We ought to begin training immediately.
What, I have to train for this thing, too?
Of course. Normally, it would take a decade to master the job. I need you to accomplish that in a few short weeks.

*Time passes*

Swirling the pot and stirring the tea with a spoon are off limits.
Who's gonna care?! It's all gonna wind up in the same place anyway!
Coarse language is right out! Now, begin again from warming the cup!
Rrgh, I should never have agreed to this!

*Time passes*

Woof, I'm exhausted! Man, how can someone do this day in and day out?
Heh heh. I can remember thinking much the same when I started out.
So, you were a pro butler, right? How'd you wind up here? Did you quit?
I came looking for a master worth serving.
You wanted a new boss?
Yes. My previous master died for his country in the preceding war. I've been wandering Gallic ever since, in search of a master of his caliber.
And that brought you here?

I thought perhaps my next master would be among them. But as yet I haven't found that person I could live my life for.
Even with all the folks here? That's rough.
Which is why I've decided to rest my hopes on this tournament. It doubles as a scouting place where Europa's best come to look for butlers.
Showing well there will inevitably lead to offers from a certain tier.
So if you win this thing and find a master, you'll drop out of Lanseal?
Yes, I suppose that would have to be the case. I would have no reason left to remain here.
Yeah, I guess. Still, kind of a shame to make friends here, then bail.
But if finding a new person to work for is what you really want...
All right, break's over! Let's get another round of practice in!
Master Avan... Heh. Thank you, sir.

Part 3

Quite. You've come along nicely. That just leaves your mode of speech.
Yeah, good luck with that.

Hey, teach. What's with the field gear? Are we deploying?
Yes, I was just heading out to track you down. A large-scale battle has broken out in the Diebal region.
Up in the mountains, huh? There's a big Darcsen settlement around there.
Precisely. Combat is taking place just outside of that settlement.
It's possible the rebels will take hostages, so be cautious in your approach.
All right, got it!

You sure, Heinz?
I need you at your best for the tournament, sir. It wouldn't do to have you suffer an injury before our victory.
Heh, Right! Okay, then let's go!

No special conditions, just capture the base.

Yes, though I'm given Pause by the professor's talk of hostages...
Nobody move!
Ngh?!
Listen up! We've got a dozen dark-hairs at gunpoint. You'll do as we say, or their blood'll be on your hands!
Rgh, cowards!
First things first... Send out your leader. Unarmed! You've got one minute before we start dropping Darcsens!
Rgh...fine!

*Avan walks over to the rebels*

Looks like he's clean.
I left my weapon, just like you asked. Now let those villagers so.
Heh, not just yet. Order your men to hand over their weapons.

What?! When did they--
Hooo... I was sweating! I owe you one, Zeri.
Ugh, I was the one who nearly had a heart attack. You were lucky the shocktrooper team Just happened to be nearby.
Avon! Honestly, sir, you must be more careful!
Sorry to worry you. But hey, I'm fine! Everybody's A-okay. So, ready to head back? We've got that big tourney to practice for.
No, sir. There's no need for that. I've found a worthy master to serve.

Master Avan. A life in your service would be one well-spent. By your leave, I would offer you my services until the end of my days.
Sorry, man. I can't accept that.
But, sir...

Now let's get back home! You can run me through tea service again. *Leaves*
Avan... Heh, it seems I've got quite a journey left ahead of me.

Heinz gains a defense boost Potential.

AND THAT'S THE LAST ENGINEER WHOO HOO CELEBRATE

Heinz art pages

There's female staff?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I was wondering when another character development anecdote would end with a laugh.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Looks like all that's left are Jamill's events and one more Randy.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

Looks like all that's left are Jamill's events and one more Randy.
the engineers never end

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

gently caress

I forgot about Randy

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
If all of the characters were just weird non-sequiturs like a butler out of nowhere this probably would have been a more interesting game.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
So heintz is a staff member's butler fetish. Ok, sure. Whatever. This game has done weirder already.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Monkey Fracas posted:

If all of the characters were just weird non-sequiturs like a butler out of nowhere this probably would have been a more interesting game.

Yeah, "Ronin butler training for the butler championship" definitely falls on the "so dumb and absurd it's cute" side of the line that this game has been wiggling all over since the start. You can't go small dumb like "mean hot girl", you have to go BIG dumb.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I'm assuming their new ultimate weapon was that Heavy Tank C that Morris one-shotted.

Anyways, story progression time!

As I mentioned, the rebels are consolidating forces in Anthold.
And they're likely setting up base camp by the port.
They're cornered, and they know it. They'll be fighting for their lives. Failure in this mission means certain death. I trust you all know that.
We've heard the gloom and doom before, teach. We're all coming home safe.
Heh heh, I knew you would say that. Very well.
LanseaI's bell has tolled. Squad G, move out!

*Meanwhile at the port*

A squad bearing Lanseal colors is headed this way!
The same pack of cadets again?
The Archduke is fighting to hold down the capital as we speak.

...Uh, wait what? Weren't we told the army took back the capital? Am I missing something here?
We cannot afford to lose this ground, men!
All units, prepare for combat! Hold Anthold as you would your very lives!
Yes, ma'am!

Today your bones will form the foundation of a new and holy Gallia!

You're literally fighting a figure of your religion, lady. Ah gently caress it, crazy don't know what crazy is.

What

Why did we get a cutscene about us going to battle, but then don't

Seriously, did they cut budget or something? Because this is confusing and lovely pacing, even worse than usual.

Randy Quest 3

Welp, I guess we'll finish off Randy's quest because the game doesn't know what to do apparently.

You're such a strong runner, too. Randy. I'm envious.
Ha ha! I'm nothing to write home about compared to some of the other guys.
Waugh, my mouth feels like a desert! Oh, canteen, it's so good to see you...

Except today, it's not water. Today, it's an ultra-powerful laxative. Drink up now, Avan. Then writhe in pain!
Nglug, nslug, nslug...
Bwaaah! Mmm, that hits the spot! A cool drink tastes best after a good workout!
...Huh?
Something wrong, Randy?
Hm? Oh... No. Nothing's wrong, Morris. *Thinking to himself* That's odd. The effects should be almost immediate.

*takes a swig*

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

*Bell rings*

Uurrrrnnnnngh!

I saw him slipping a mix into your canteen during the drill. I figured something was up, so I took the liberty of swapping yours and his.
Which means our friend Randy just made his day a whole lot more exciting.

He looks like he's about ready to die.
If we don't end this fast, there's gonna be... Well, things will get ugly!

Um, if you know that Randy has diarrhea, why bring him? This whole update is just confusing for sane people.

Also for some reason, Randy's mission doesn't scale completely so there's a bunch of tier 1 units.

Eek! Randy's dying!
No! Medic! Mediiic!

*Later that day*

Ugh... Here to laugh, Hardins?
Please, I'm here to check up on you as class chair.
Hmph. Inside, you're still happy I got what I deserved.
Would you let up with that for just a minute?
I don't get it, man. Why go after me? You're always so nice to everyone else.

Well, they all seemed genuinely worried about you. They all came with me. Here, to see you. The nurse chased them off! Now, why would they do that if they didn't really care?
Hmph.
I'm not gonna lie to you. That last stunt was pretty lame. But I always respected the way you treated everybody else.
What?

I don't think Avan knows what's going on. Randy isn't manipulative because that's his only way of making friends, he does it because he's loving evil.

That's all from me. Later.

*Avan leaves, then comes back*

Oh, one more thing.
Just try pulling this nonsense with me again. I'll pound both your faces in.

*Avan leaves*

Avan Hardins... Heh, I'll let you off this time.

Randy gains Dark Side, which increases status effect chance. Way too many of these Potentials as "rewards." Lotte was annoying, but at least she got a double-move to make up for all that.

Definitely not, game.

Skit summary: Sofia tries to seduce Hubert, but it becomes a misunderstanding where she thinks Hubert is confessing to Avan, except she runs off before the part where Hubert just wants someone to listen to his complaints about Avan.

It's all very hilarious, I'm sure.

Randy art pages

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
This update brought to you by the :rolldice: and :catdrugs:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Just...one...more.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tae posted:

I saw him slipping a mix into your canteen during the drill. I figured something was up, so I took the liberty of swapping yours and his.
Which means our friend Randy just made his day a whole lot more exciting.

Credit where it's due, I got a decent laugh from this line :allears:.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I really need a new page, so here's most of the rest of the voices

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV2hTLOEI64

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
The people who ended up making this game had no idea why they were actually making it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Am I seriously the only one confused on what the timeline is for this game? The capital is retaken, no wait the army is starting the operation to take back the capital, no wait we already won, no wait Baldren is still fighting to hold down the capital, no wait we're going to fight Audrey and then not fight her for two more Key missions.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Tae posted:

Am I seriously the only one confused on what the timeline is for this game? The capital is retaken, no wait the army is starting the operation to take back the capital, no wait we already won, no wait Baldren is still fighting to hold down the capital, no wait we're going to fight Audrey and then not fight her for two more Key missions.

I don't know, I've ceased to be at all surprised by this game being wildly incoherent.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I get the feeling that this is the game that the devs were forced to make, and not one that they wanted to make. That will likely explain all the :effort: going in. VC3 is a vast improvement over this and that LP is only like 3 missions in.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

SSNeoman posted:

I get the feeling that this is the game that the devs were forced to make, and not one that they wanted to make. That will likely explain all the :effort: going in. VC3 is a vast improvement over this and that LP is only like 3 missions in.

Well uh....don't stick around for the interview section then.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

SSNeoman posted:

I remember reading something to this effect actually, though I don't know if was it forced as much as it was "quick let's jump in on the moneytrain".

VC1, while having it's own faults, was an enjoyable game. The plot was anime as gently caress but what can we expect from JRPGs (mostly, there are gems like Chrono Trigger). The problem was while the Western and later Steam release have been super popular, the initial release in Japan was poorly received. As such when they made this one they decided to do the Highschool Drama spin on it, because that is a popular genre in Japan.

Apparently the 3rd one is super popular in the West (despite only having a fan patch english release) but once again not so flash in Japan.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 17, 2015

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Gridlocked posted:

VC1, while having it's own faults, was an enjoyable game. The plot was anime as gently caress but what can we expect from JRPGs (mostly, there are gems like Chrono Trigger). The problem was while the Western and later Steam release have been super popular, the initial release in Japan was poorly received. As such when they made this one they decided to do the Highschool Drama spin on it, because that is a popular genre in Japan.

Yeah some dude in the VC1 thread mentioned that VC only became popular after they made the anime, which was why VC2 is Tokimemo Civil War (sorta) Edition'

V: Oh :v: :downs:

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 05:43 on May 17, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

VC2 was critically well received, averaging an 82. An 82. The grinding alone should've knocked it down to 75.

VC3 was really popular, as it was the only game to receive a remix edition in Extra Edition. Honestly it could've continued if Sega didn't trend towards PC and mobile gaming at that point.

edit:

SSNeoman posted:

Yeah some dude in the VC1 thread mentioned that VC only became popular after they made the anime, which was why VC2 is Tokimemo Civil War (sorta) Edition

That was me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
You're good to go Tae.

• Locked thread