Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I don't know, I kind of buy that one. Wealthy polyamorous couples are weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
School.

quote:

A New Grade Of Teaching
MIDDLE SCHOOL | OH, USA | BIZARRE/SILLY, EXAMS/TESTS, TEACHERS
(I have a rather strange English teacher. We just got our first middle school report cards at the end of first quarter.)

Teacher: “I see that you all have your report cards. Good job on whatever grade you got. Pass them to me.”

(A little puzzled, we all obey.)

Teacher: “Okay, do I have everyone’s? Good. These—” *tears stack of report cards in half* “—don’t—” *tears in half again* “—matter! Grades don’t matter!”

(We all watch, horrorstruck, as he turns our grades into confetti and throws it into the air. Keep in mind, we are all the typical honors overachievers.)

Teacher: “Grades don’t reflect how smart you are. Keep that in mind, because everyone is going to be putting up a heck of a fuss about them for the next six years of your life. Work your hardest, and that’s all anyone can ask of you.”

(He then passed out copies of the report cards for everyone, so that we could still have the card. That lesson is still with me, though I heard he hasn’t done that since.)

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

EmmyOk posted:

I've never known someone to deny a part of history has happened. Though I say that being from a country that was repressed for 800 years and is one of the few that didn't wipe out an indigenous population.

Being from Germany I have to say nowadays we don't really deny anything. On the contrary we study Nazi Germany every single year in Litterature and History class :shrug:

Maybe that's just too big to deny :v:

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

EmmyOk posted:

I've never known someone to deny a part of history has happened. Though I say that being from a country that was repressed for 800 years and is one of the few that didn't wipe out an indigenous population.

Which one? Just curious

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Nuclear War posted:

Which one? Just curious

Poland/Ukraine maybe?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Nuclear War posted:

Which one? Just curious

Ireland I think, us :britain: did a lot of bad things to them, and pretty much everyone.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Judge Tesla posted:

Ireland I think, us :britain: did a lot of bad things to them, and pretty much everyone.

Given they're Celts who wiped out the Beaker People, they can't claim not to have killed an indigenous population. No clean hands in humanity, we're all terrible, it's just a matter of degree.

(Maybe Australian Aborigines, of all the extant peoples on Earth, can claim not to have wiped out an indigenous population when they arrived where they are, but then they burnt the whole place to the ground within a couple of years of getting there.)

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Farmland Park posted:

Probably a BMW dealership.

A BBW dealership.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Fathis Munk posted:

Being from Germany I have to say nowadays we don't really deny anything. On the contrary we study Nazi Germany every single year in Litterature and History class :shrug:

Maybe that's just too big to deny :v:

I've read that Holocaust denial and any form of neo-Nazi-ism is illegal in Germany. Is that true?

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.

razorrozar posted:

I've read that Holocaust denial and any form of neo-Nazi-ism is illegal in Germany. Is that true?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laws_against_Holocaust_denial#Germany

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Given they're Celts who wiped out the Beaker People, they can't claim not to have killed an indigenous population. No clean hands in humanity, we're all terrible, it's just a matter of degree.

(Maybe Australian Aborigines, of all the extant peoples on Earth, can claim not to have wiped out an indigenous population when they arrived where they are, but then they burnt the whole place to the ground within a couple of years of getting there.)

Yeah I'm form Ireland which as things go is a pretty non-horrible country, except to ourselves. We got hosed up by famines and the English more than anything else.

Not heard of the Beaker people, a cursory googling didn't help overly much. Any links I could follow to learn more? :)

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

:911:

EmmyOk posted:

Yeah I'm form Ireland which as things go is a pretty non-horrible country, except to ourselves. We got hosed up by famines and the English more than anything else.

Not heard of the Beaker people, a cursory googling didn't help overly much. Any links I could follow to learn more? :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaker_culture :shrug:
It was interesting to know that Stonehenge is from the Beaker period. Not that it has to do with Ireland directly, but interesting nonetheless

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Postal Parcel posted:

It was interesting to know that Stonehenge is from the Beaker period. Not that it has to do with Ireland directly, but interesting nonetheless

That tweet jesus christ. Stonehenge is way less cool than Newgrange though, google it! The sun shines through it only a certain times, and it's older than stonehenge and the pyramids.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

EmmyOk posted:

We don't know much about them apart from the fact they really liked to make a certain type of beaker (hence the name), and that they probably built Stonehenge and a bunch of other Neolithic sites as well as supplying a fair chunk of the tin needed for the Classical Age bronze workers, then disappeared with suspicious speed when the Celts started migrating north and west with their shiny iron weapons.

It's entirely possible that the Beaker People became the Celts rather than being displaced by them, but the speed of the migration of the Celtic language (and metallurgy) is rather quick for that sort of cultural osmosis to happen, although at this remove it's basically impossible to tell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaker_culture gives probably the quickest summary of what we know about them (i.e. very little) and there's quite a few pages you can go from there.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I was honestly wondering if you guys were calling the Picts by something else.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

EmmyOk posted:

That tweet jesus christ. Stonehenge is way less cool than Newgrange though, google it! The sun shines through it only a certain times, and it's older than stonehenge and the pyramids.

Skara Brae FTW.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skara_Brae

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Skara Brae's fascinating because the houses have several features (hearths, chimneys, drainage and toilets) that were supposedly invented much, much later than that and which didn't return to the British Isles for more than 2000 years with the Romans. In a way it's far more interesting and out-of-place than the Great Pyramids but nobody says that it was built by aliens.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
"Here is a tip for making my child cry"

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
Yeah, it was kinda believable until the author started patting himself on the back so hard.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Whenever I refused to leave the house with my parents as a small child, my parents would be all "Okay, then we're going without you, bye!" then make a big show of leaving. They'd wait outside the front door for about twenty seconds before I'd break down and decide to come with them. I would get so scared of being left all alone, and my parents exploited that fear. Now that I'm an adult I recognize the tactic as emotional abuse, and I've promised myself I'd never do it to my (currently hypothetical) child.

Welp that's my story

monny
Oct 20, 2008

dollar dollar bill, y'all

Pththya-lyi posted:

my parents exploited that fear. Now that I'm an adult I recognize the tactic as emotional abuse

Your parents sound like absolute monsters! :rolleye:

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

monny posted:

Your parents sound like absolute monsters! :rolleye:

I don't mean to say that they are monsters, just that they used this one dickish tactic to get me to behave. I would compare them to parents of a generation or two ago who spanked their kids because That's What You Do With Kids.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
That honestly does sound like kind of a dickish thing to do. A lot can happen in twenty seconds.

PUGGERNAUT has a new favorite as of 20:53 on May 18, 2015

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Ahh yes it's what every parent dreams of:having strangers interfere while you are trying to parent your misbehaving child.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Skara Brae's fascinating because the houses have several features (hearths, chimneys, drainage and toilets) that were supposedly invented much, much later than that and which didn't return to the British Isles for more than 2000 years with the Romans. In a way it's far more interesting and out-of-place than the Great Pyramids but nobody says that it was built by aliens.
I don't know about hearths and chimneys- hearths were just the regular "space in the middle of the room" and the reconstructions show just a hole in the roof, not a tubelike structure meant to take the smoke out of the building. If the roofs were like those of roundhouses the people might have just let the smoke sink into the thatch. The toilets and drains, though, are solid, and they're amazing. I went to Skara Brae in 2004 and it's incredible. I've got to get back to the Orkney Islands, there's more archeological finds that are mind-blowing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br4b7KUJdf0

And also Time Team with Tony Robinson:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzn34IrzVPw

For some actual poo poo that didn't happen, I'm working this summer at a historic building and there's a stone in the basement that's carved with the date "1642" and the initials of someone who never came to North America. It was probably carved into the stone in the 1800s. Nice job, folks! Now everybody thinks the building is much earlier than it as even though dendrochronology dates it to 1707. There's also someone writing a book about the building who insists that it was built in the 1600s and who asked how they managed to replace all the seventeenth-century bricks with eighteenth-century ones. I can't WAIT till I have a tour of old ladies who insist that they heard the building was built in the 1640s and it should be filled with fake antiques and spinning wheels. Maybe I can talk them to death about my own research on the time period. It would be nice to have a captive audience instead of being one.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

the only Skara Brae that matters. :colbert:

http://brotherhood.de/Bardstale/talefiles/1/maps/bt1-skara_brae.jpg

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
My aunt used to run a small store and once had a lady threaten to leave her little girl there. I guess it wasn't working because the woman actually got in her car and drove away.

Then the little girl freaked out.

Electrical Fire
Mar 29, 2010

Everything about this makes me cringe.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

artsy fartsy posted:

My aunt used to run a small store and once had a lady threaten to leave her little girl there. I guess it wasn't working because the woman actually got in her car and drove away.

Then the little girl freaked out.

I did this to my niece at the park. I only drove a few hundred feet. It was effective.

I have no regrets.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
More Facebook weirdo fresh off the presses.

Does anybody smile at Family Guy anymore?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
In my wildest fantasies I tell strangers jokes from a mediocre TV show.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Jesus Christ if people think that's child cruelty/manipulation. Wait till your're a parent who has to leave the house ASAP and one of the little shits is refusing to leave

Popeahuntis
Apr 10, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

Jesus Christ if people think that's child cruelty/manipulation. Wait till your're a parent who has to leave the house ASAP and one of the little shits is refusing to leave

As this is from tumblr i presume the person in question would irl, eat all the cake themselves as
1) they have no friends
And
2) are a fatty fat fatty

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Popeahuntis posted:

As this is from tumblr i presume the person in question would irl, eat all the cake themselves as
1) they have no friends
And
2) are a fatty fat fatty

Every year I brought 13 cakes to school. The kids would ask, "are you going to eat all that by yourself?" and I'd say "Don't Fatshame me DICKFACE!"

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

EmmyOk posted:

:unsmith:

Idk why but I like this one actually. The cake buffet is a little stupid but I like the idea of this high school having its own little meme holiday.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
It's not abuse if you're in a hurry!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

That story seems a tad unbelievable. I'd say the cake is a lie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Classy Ghost
Jul 21, 2003

this wine has a fantastic booquet

oldpainless posted:

That story seems a tad unbelievable. I'd say the cake is a lie.

BOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Locked thread