Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Jobbo_Fett posted:

More videos, more views, more money.

You could say that, but I'm pretty sure that it goes beyond that like is some sort of psychological need he has to record every aspect of his goddamn life. I mean the videos I'm talking can't be getting that many views.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

F. Lobot posted:

Is this the first time Youtube has stood up for a content creator? It sounds too good to be true.

As far as Superbunnyhop, Polygon and most people can figure, yes.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

David D. Davidson posted:

What I really find odd about DSP isn't that he's poo poo with his money, lots of people are poo poo with their money, hell Philip K. Dick was bad with his money and he is one of the greatest Science Fiction writers who ever lived.
It's that he has this weird compulsion to share everything he does with the internet, I mean we have videos of him taking his girlfriend to the zoo for her twenty first birthday, we have videos of his hotel room when he goes on trips, we even have videos of him showing off his new house when he moves he even does unboxing videos, not just of special collectors editions, but of just regular games that don't have special editions. what kind weird form of OCD is there that makes someone thing they have to record every aspect of his life? Seriously I would be suprised if he has hard drive full of videos that he recorded while he was sitting on the toilet. It's just insane.

So Phil is basically the guy from "Exit Through the Gift Shop"?

By the way, Phil is totally in a stupid amountvof debt simply because he had a mortgage on his apartment in Connecticut and he couldn't find a buyer, so he's now paying two mortgages. This is funny because in the same video he mentioned this and his other money troubles he mentioned he had a degree in finance.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Lazyfire posted:

By the way, Phil is totally in a stupid amountvof debt simply because he had a mortgage on his apartment in Connecticut and he couldn't find a buyer, so he's now paying two mortgages. This is funny because in the same video he mentioned this and his other money troubles he mentioned he had a degree in finance.

He went to DeVry?

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

slowbeef posted:

You know, I do want to say one thing: if you're really laughing at Phil because he is bad at video games, you are missing like 90% of what makes it funny

Also that lava totally looked cooled off.

That other 90% of DSP is stuff so depressing it's hard to enjoy. I almost feel bad for the guy for being so unaware about, well, everything. Video games, social interaction, long-term financial planning, the list goes on.

But when you do something dumb like walk into lava that poo poo is hilarious. Can't wait for the other Radical Train level. :)

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Fun fact, Slowbeef: Yours is the first '06 let's play to actually reach the credits for Silver's story. Game Grumps famously abandoned it at 98% completion, Run Button gave up after seven videos' worth of ProtonJon trials, and Pokecapn's reward in leu of credits was a hard-locked PS3.

Capt. J. Linebeck
Dec 28, 2012

F. Lobot posted:

Fun fact, Slowbeef: Yours is the first '06 let's play to actually reach the credits for Silver's story. Game Grumps famously abandoned it at 98% completion, Run Button gave up after seven videos' worth of ProtonJon trials, and Pokecapn's reward in leu of credits was a hard-locked PS3.

This is the part where I mention that I unironically like both Dreams of Absolution and His World. Also slowbeef, you should at least tackle Sonic's Very Hard mode DLC. I know you'll have a blast

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Leal posted:

His controller kept dropping the input.

A poor craftsman blames his toolf. Gah, tools. Stupid keyboard.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Capt. J. Linebeck posted:

This is the part where I mention that I unironically like both Dreams of Absolution and His World. Also slowbeef, you should at least tackle Sonic's Very Hard mode DLC. I know you'll have a blast

The music in 06 is one of the only good things about it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Capt. J. Linebeck posted:

There's DLC?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Andrast posted:

There's DLC?
Same levels, only with more bullshit and sometimes you move in the opposite direction. There was a recent LP here that did them.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Jsor posted:

Are you counting the Flash Man theme in that, cause I don't think rip-offs should count.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jsor posted:

My favorite part of every Sonic theme is the part where they muse about life for half a verse, like this part of His World:

quote:

Bounce to the beats and the rhymes, 'cause they're here to stay
The one and only never bored man, livin' the day
Movin' up, comin' fast and he'll blow you away!
Because the pressures of this world, they can take their toll
And it's tough to get away when we take ahold
The only way to break free is to break the mold
You can't stop now, lock and load

like drat. I can imagine some teen comprehending that and then pausing the game to sit in the corner and clutch the sides of their head like "oh jesus the pressures of this world DO take their toll oh god"

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:37 on May 16, 2015

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I highly recommend you grab a copy of The Best Of Crush 40: Super Sonic Songs then.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Because we're apparently talking about this now, my favorite 3D Sonic song will always be this one because Sonic Riders was surprisingly a good game. Everyone always forgets it when they say "ALL 3D SONICS ARE THE WORST" because nobody played it. The lyrics make basically no sense but I don't care, that game was loving hard and this as the credits music was very cathartic.

The game's got a crapload of content and boy watching someone be good at it is really cool. I probably would not want to see an LP of it though because that'd be like LPing Mario Kart, who would even do that besides I guess the Run Button guys and they only did it because they were obligated.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

There's no defending "all hail shadow" though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

bobjr posted:

"When there's nothing left to lose /
you win / " ~ Anonymous poet, c. 1811

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

bobjr posted:

I will not stand for you insulting such a classic piece of music. :colbert:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
have we heard My Destiny ~Theme of Elise~ yet

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

bobjr posted:

That song puts the butt in buttrock.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Crosspeice posted:

36,000,000 subscribers.

He could literally rule a country.
If only most of those subscribers were actually real viewers. He doesn't really get nearly that many viewers on his videos, and his audience is mostly the "DAILY DOSE" type that keep watching videos over and over again like small children.

TaurusOxford posted:

Are you counting the Flash Man theme in that, cause I don't think rip-offs should count.
Wow, 5 notes in a song are in the same order, rhythm and tone as a Megaman song. TOTALLY A RIPOFF.

I wonder when anyone will ever notice that infamously bad games have less "wrong" with them than they think.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Jobbo_Fett posted:

He went to DeVry?
Imagine DSP and Zuarg's wife running a househokd financially. :stare:

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I like the hub world music from New City. Wish I could find a MIDI for it, so far all I've found is a bass tab and guessing the first part of the melody and chords by ear.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

F. Lobot posted:

:(

Also his world is great because on the line "In his world of worlds, every step meets the rest!", you can tell they ran out of syllable space because it's stated super awkwardly :haw:

Sonic's is the best credits song though because it's the ending theme from Sonic 2 done by AKON of all people. It's gloriously awful.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I like the songs Crush 40 makes for Sonic games.

I was also a dumb teenager when I finally played Adventure Battle 2 on the gamecube though so uh take that as you will. I still like the final boss song.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
The only reason I play the new Smash Bros is that it has Escape From The City in it.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

F. Lobot posted:

Aren't there an handful of goon made LPs of that one? Not even them pulled it off?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Game Grumps aside, those are the handful of goons.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I don't know who finished first but MassRafter did one too.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Slowbeef does everything first.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
all of those songs are loving awful what is wrong with you people

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Stux posted:

gamer culture

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Stux posted:

I'm sorry, but buttrock is amazing and you are objectively wrong.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Who's gunna rock the place? place place place

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Stux posted:

post your favorite video game music

edit: no matter what you decide to post though,

djw175 posted:

buttrock is amazing and you are objectively wrong.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I've never been a huge fan of the stuff with lyrics (other than Escape From the City and E.G.G.M.A.N.), but I really like some of Jun Senoue's instrumental music.

quote:

post your favorite video game music
Well that's some of it, at least.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
my formative years were heavily influenced by the Sonic Adventure 2 soundtrack and I am a worse person for it.

But hey, live and learn.

YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Cheez posted:

If only most of those subscribers were actually real viewers. He doesn't really get nearly that many viewers on his videos, and his audience is mostly the "DAILY DOSE" type that keep watching videos over and over again like small children.

uh, most of his viewers are small children.

...Which is why I'll never be convinced that youtube isn't using the business model of "1. put ads on videos 2. ???? 3. PROFIT!!" with the advertisers making strictly imaginary money to pay for all these monetized users. I mean yeah, PDP gets far more viewers than anyone else, but well over 90% of them are too young to be viable customers, which should invalidate their worth but doesn't. Maybe if toys or breakfast cereal or something else normally marketed to kids were the main ads shown it would have some merit, but what 10 year old is going to be a deciding factor in like, your cell phone plan or car insurance?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Do ten year olds see car insurance ads on videos, though? Targeted marketing has become creepily effective lately, especially once you remember YouTube is owned by Google and presumably have access to their data. It's plausible that the ads they are seeing are for, I don't know, video games and Spongebob paraphernalia.

Buying ad space is frequently a losing proposition anyway, though. The only inside knowledge I have is from the video game business, but basically you buy clicks at a loss hoping the influx of users will generate a second wave of organic users. If you find that your CPI is less than your CLV, then you're basically printing money and you should spend as much as you can on marketing right now because you'll only profit from it (until the market is saturated), but in my experience most companies are nowhere near that point.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Does anybody have a recommendation on an offsite Crysis LP? I didnt find any in the archive.

• Locked thread